Health Care Cost Driver: Wednesday Depressies.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Health Care Cost Driver: Wednesday Depressies.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words!

In addition to the obesity epidemic...did you see the news over the weekend about what Alzheimer's is costing in healthcare dollars..and the predictions for what it will cost in the future? The number of Americans who are developing this disease is staggering.

"It is not down in any map...trueplaces never are...." ( Melville)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Yes, being overweight is a problem, for the person being overweight.

No, it is not a problem for government to solve.

But, I have a question:  do you think up these talking points on your own, or are you part of the talking points machine?

Somehow, I think you going to find the worlds fattest man in 1903 all by yourself a bit of a stretch.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Skeeter..when the obesity epidemic is becomes so bad that it affect the quality of public health in the US...then it does become a problem for government to solve. Right now the US is on track to have a serious decline in average life expectancy due to all the secondary diseases caused by obesity ( diabetes, heart disease, etc). Even if you take the money aspect completely out of the scenario...it's still a serious issue.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Skeeter..when the obesity epidemic is becomes so bad that it affect the quality of public health in the US...then it does become a problem for government to solve. Right now the US is on track to have a serious decline in average life expectancy due to all the secondary diseases caused by obesity ( diabetes, heart disease, etc). Even if you take the money aspect completely out of the scenario...it's still a serious issue.

I've read articles that say the cost estimates for health care is much higher than anticipated due to obesity. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

no it doesn't! In a free society people cannot be told what to eat and how much! I know there are problems with freedom like individual responsibility but, lack of freedom is much worse!

The only thing the govt could possibly do is say, if, you have documented health problems due to obesity and the obesity is not due to a medical condition but instead a behavior pattern then YOU will be responsible for your healthcare issues related to this PAID IN ADVANCE!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

There is no public health with the items mentioned, only personal health.

Public health used to be concerned only with things like TB, now they are concerned about your overconsumption of food, which is your choice, paid for with your money, which you earned.

This is yet another area of our government that needs to be reigned in.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

But, I have a question:  do you think up these talking points on your own, or are you part of the talking points machine?

Somehow, I think you going to find the worlds fattest man in 1903 all by yourself a bit of a stretch.

Who said it was a problem for govt to solve? All WDYWN did was point out what a fat fcuk of a nation we are. That ain't a talking point...that's reality

And, why dod he point it out?

My guess is this is what came up in the talking point rotation.

Don't be naive.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to bigdog2's comment:

Who said it was a problem for govt to solve? All WDYWN did was point out what a fat fcuk of a nation we are. That ain't a talking point...that's reality

And it was pretty funny............

Lighten up people.

I'll lighten up when there isn't such a hue and cry from the left for government to do something about obesity.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Don't be naive.

Maybe same reason I do...it's true. We are a lazy fat nation. The costs associated with obesity are driving up our health care costs. That's a fact. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Don't be naive.

Maybe same reason I do...it's true. We are a lazy fat nation. The costs associated with obesity are driving up our health care costs. That's a fact. 

If you are fat, it is driving up your health costs, not mine.

With government sponsored/determined coverage, I am forced to fund your problem, which is completely in your control.

So, as a result, I now need to force you to stop eating so much, and government is the tool, probably against your will, and for sure in violation of your right to privacy.

This, my friend, is the problem with getting government so invovled in health care.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Don't be naive.

With government sponsored/determined coverage, I am forced to fund your problem, which is completely in your control.

So, as a result, I now need to force you to stop eating so much, and government is the tool, probably against your will, and for sure in violation of your right to privacy.

This, my friend, is the problem with getting government so invovled in health care.

No, it's driving all of our costs up. If you have people on your employer plan that have obesity then they are driving up the costs for everyone on the plan. Anytime a group of people are pooled together, like for example employer health insurance from any private insurer, the sicker people can drive up the costs for everyone else.

That's how group insurance works. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

All the more reason why every man, woman, and child in the country should be insured from birth to death.

If everyone is covered, then perhaps they will understand how their behavior not only impacts their long=term health but also the premium they pay to live an unhealthy, destructive lifestyle.

Likewise, conditions which are truly genetic/hereditary in nature can be mitigated early on to prevent much larger bills - to both health and wallet -  in the future.

This requires a generational shift in attitudes and education, so it will not happen over night, next year, or even in the next 5-10 years, but it must happen whether we want it to or not.

Ironically or not, we've been through this before with previous, equally pernicious paradigms.  "Those who choose to forget the past...", et al..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

All the more reason why every man, woman, and child in the country should be insured from birth to death.

If everyone is covered, then perhaps they will understand how their behavior not only impacts their long=term health but also the premium they pay to live an unhealthy, destructive lifestyle.

If that were true then the tens of millions who have been covered should be living health lifestyles. But that is far from the case. People don't care. Especially obese people. Clearly they don't care if they can allow themselves to be obese. 

Likewise, conditions which are truly genetic/hereditary in nature can be mitigated early on to prevent much larger bills - to both health and wallet -  in the future.

Again, if this were true then our costs shouldn't be so high because majority of country has had health coverage. 

This requires a generational shift in attitudes and education, so it will not happen over night, next year, or even in the next 5-10 years, but it must happen whether we want it to or not.

What education is needed? Don't eat more than you burn off? My god there are so many shows of t.v., not to mention the upteen magazines that deal with healthy living that it's rather hard not to know what health living is. Hell, we learn the food groups and what is health in grade school. 

Ironically or not, we've been through this before with previous, equally pernicious paradigms.  "Those who choose to forget the past...", et al..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

If that were true then the tens of millions who have been covered should be living health lifestyles. But that is far from the case. People don't care. Especially obese people. Clearly they don't care if they can allow themselves to be obese. 

Again, if this were true then our costs shouldn't be so high because majority of country has had health coverage. 

What education is needed? Don't eat more than you burn off? My god there are so many shows of t.v., not to mention the upteen magazines that deal with healthy living that it's rather hard not to know what health living is. Hell, we learn the food groups and what is health in grade school. 

In theory, I might agree with you.

However, in practice, it doesn't work because some conditions - including obesity, diabetes, etc. - tend to be concentrated in poorer communities which have less coverage and lower quality health care as a whole.

Reform has been structured to incentivize healthy behavior and penalize unhealthy behavior.  This is a sea change in the way that policies are underwritten and premiums adjusted.

Education about health is one thing. (ketchup is a vegetable? HFCP is corn?)  But several recent studies have shown that people don't understand how health insurance works.  To borrow a phrase, they have not understood how "they have a skin in the game".

This has already started.  As I've said before for example, smokers are and will be surcharged just like bad drivers are.  Positive gains in health and lifestyle choices will be rewarded.

Likewise, doctors and hospitals that fail to diagnose and treat their patients properly will suffer hits to their reputations and bottom lines.  All stages of the health care system will be made accountable or reap what they sow.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

However, in practice, it doesn't work because some conditions - including obesity, diabetes, etc. - tend to be concentrated in poorer communities which have less coverage and lower quality health care as a whole.

It may 'tend' to but there are millions of middle class and even rich people who are obese and therfore have aliments due to obesity. 

Reform has been structured to incentivize healthy behavior and penalize unhealthy behavior.  This is a sea change in the way that policies are underwritten and premiums adjusted.

Is this true for group employer insurance? How if, for a group there is one set of rates do they penalize for unhealthy behaviors? And how do insurers know of said unhealthy behaviors? How will an insurer know that someone started smoking? Or that someone stopped working out? 

Education about health is one thing. (ketchup is a vegetable? HFCP is corn?)  But several recent studies have shown that people don't understand how health insurance works.  To borrow a phrase, they have not understood how "they have a skin in the game".

How health insurance works is not rocket science. If people don't know it's because they don't want to know. It's like those people who signed on for 5 yr interest only adjustable mortgages. They clearly didn't take the time to understand what would happen when the 5 years ended and the interest rate jumped up. People are fri99in lazy

This has already started.  As I've said before for example, smokers are and will be surcharged just like bad drivers are.  Positive gains in health and lifestyle choices will be rewarded.

Again, how is this done on group employer health insurance? How could an insurer know so and so smokes?

Likewise, doctors and hospitals that fail to diagnose and treat their patients properly will suffer hits to their reputations and bottom lines.  All stages of the health care system will be made accountable or reap what they sow.

This isn't anything new. If your doctor or hospital misdiagnosed you in the past wouldn't you have switched your doctor/hospital? I know I would have. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

It may 'tend' to but there are millions of middle class and even rich people who are obese and therfore have aliments due to obesity. 

Is this true for group employer insurance? How if, for a group there is one set of rates do they penalize for unhealthy behaviors? And how do insurers know of said unhealthy behaviors? How will an insurer know that someone started smoking? Or that someone stopped working out? 

How health insurance works is not rocket science. If people don't know it's because they don't want to know. It's like those people who signed on for 5 yr interest only adjustable mortgages. They clearly didn't take the time to understand what would happen when the 5 years ended and the interest rate jumped up. People are fri99in lazy

Again, how is this done on group employer health insurance? How could an insurer know so and so smokes?

This isn't anything new. If your doctor or hospital misdiagnosed you in the past wouldn't you have switched your doctor/hospital? I know I would have. 

Yes, but middle class and rich people can pay for better insurance, ergo treatment.  Poor people cannot, so they don't get treated, and they get sicker more often in greater numbers.  

For group insurance, it's simple; they just penalize the whole group.  Everyone signs a health statement in order to get insurance.  Lying on that statement is a fireable offense...at least at every company I've worked for.  Again, in theory, I agree that some people can 'game the system' by lying about smoking.  But in practice, people are terrified of losing their jobs.

It's a bit elitist to assume that everyone has the same educational opportunities, reads the same magazines, watches the same shows, follows the news, etc.  The truth is that food is largely cultural and people usually do what they've always done until forced to change.

And I submit, too, that many overeating issues are psychological in nature, whether caused by stress, abuse, or plain mental illness.  This does not make them victims, per se, but psych issues also need to be treated in order to be overcome.  And while I agree about the therapeutic benefits of exercise, for many it's just not that easy.

I understand your objections, and some of your concerns are valid, but what's the alternative?  The status quo is clearly not working.  Something's gotta give....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Don't be naive.

No, it's driving all of our costs up. If you have people on your employer plan that have obesity then they are driving up the costs for everyone on the plan. Anytime a group of people are pooled together, like for example employer health insurance from any private insurer, the sicker people can drive up the costs for everyone else.

Then it is not insurance, it is income re-distribution, from those who aren't fat (in this example) to those that are.

And, stop it with the group insurance examples.  no one cares that you did underwriting in the sixties.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Less reason why they should be "insured", if that is what you want to call it, from birth to death.  You will have eliminated the one thing that tends to get through to people, hitting them in the pocketbook.

Look, Obamacare, the way it is set up, essentially says, no matter if you have insurance, no matter if you have a pre-existing condition, no matter if you are even a citizen, we will pay for all your healthcare needs.

That is just plain stupid in the real world, and is not insurance. It is government forcing other people to pay your bills.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Yes, but middle class and rich people can pay for better insurance, ergo treatment.  Poor people cannot, so they don't get treated, and they get sicker more often in greater numbers.  

Well sure they can and probably do pay for "better" insurance. But better insurance doesn't mean there will be treatment. Again, there is a vast amount of obese people who are middle class and rich (the one who can afford better coverage). Point being that all the coverage in the world doesn't mean someone will actually use it. Even if they do use it, as in going to doctors for annual checkup. It doesn't mean they'll listen to doctors advice. If that were true there'd be very, very few people who are obese. 

For group insurance, it's simple; they just penalize the whole group.  Everyone signs a health statement in order to get insurance.  Lying on that statement is a fireable offense...at least at every company I've worked for.  Again, in theory, I agree that some people can 'game the system' by lying about smoking.  But in practice, people are terrified of losing their jobs.

I've worked for four different companies and have never had to fill out a health statement that asked if I smoked. 

It's a bit elitist to assume that everyone has the same educational opportunities, reads the same magazines, watches the same shows, follows the news, etc.  The truth is that food is largely cultural and people usually do what they've always done until forced to change.

It's elitist to assume everyone has eyes and can see the same magazines I see at checkout counter? It's elitist to assume people have the ability to read the tv guide and see there are shows like The Doctors, Dr. Oz, Biggest Loser, Extreme Weight Loss, most of which these shows are on the major networks that come with basic cable? Hell, Oprah used to do MANY shows on health. She was watched by MILLIONS. Sorry I made such an elitist assumption. Who knew watching ABC, NBC, or CBS was so elitist.

And I submit, too, that many overeating issues are psychological in nature, whether caused by stress, abuse, or plain mental illness.  This does not make them victims, per se, but psych issues also need to be treated in order to be overcome.  And while I agree about the therapeutic benefits of exercise, for many it's just not that easy.

Sorry, but I'm not one who tolerates excuses. I don't use them in my own life and won't tolerate them from anyone else. Overeating is an excuse. We all have the abilty to make changes. You just have to WANT to make the change. 

I understand your objections, and some of your concerns are valid, but what's the alternative?  The status quo is clearly not working.  Something's gotta give....

Not sure how we get people to stop being so lazy. In fact, I don't think we ever will. We become lazier and lazier as time goes on. Each generation is lazier than the last. I fear it's only going to get worse. Remember when you were a kid? Bet you played out side everyday. During summers I bet you had breakfast then went out and played till lunch. Had lunch then went right back outside to play some more till dinner. Then after dinner outside again till streetlights came on. Sound familiar? That doesn't happen now, or at least if it does it's the exception to the rule. Kids play on computer or video games unless it's a scheduled soccer game or baseball game. Then right back inside. It's sad. 

I see it in the kids I coach. Been coaching for about 12 years. The kids who are in shape are the exception. Majority of kids range from flabby no muscle tone to obese. We have kids who can barely do 5 REAL pushups. Meaning straight body, chest to floor pushups. We have kids with 20-25% bodyfat. We pretty much have to force these kids to lift weights. My high school team never had to be told to lift. It's what you did. Play a sport, you lifted weights. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Don't be naive.

Then it is not insurance, it is income re-distribution, from those who aren't fat (in this example) to those that are.

It is insurance. That's how health insurance has ALWAYS worked. ALWAYS...as in prior to ACA. 

And, stop it with the group insurance examples.  no one cares that you did underwriting in the sixties.

Hahaha...Sorry...I thought were were talking about health insurance. Isn't group insurance through employer how most people in this country get their insurance? The answer is yes. So it's relevant. I realize you don't like it because you're out of your league in this discussion but you can't know everything my friend. There are plenty of subjects I know nothing about so I stay out of them.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Less reason why they should be "insured", if that is what you want to call it, from birth to death.  You will have eliminated the one thing that tends to get through to people, hitting them in the pocketbook.

Look, Obamacare, the way it is set up, essentially says, no matter if you have insurance, no matter if you have a pre-existing condition, no matter if you are even a citizen, we will pay for all your healthcare needs.

Not true. Only those at certain percent of poverty line will get help. Everyone else has to pay for their insurance. And Obamacare isn't paying for employer based insurance. 

That is just plain stupid in the real world, and is not insurance. It is government forcing other people to pay your bills.

Sections
Shortcuts