HIPAA / Obamacare website - kill this BS talking point (video included - in full)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcr400m. Show dcr400m's posts

HIPAA / Obamacare website - kill this BS talking point (video included - in full)

Thanks to Carol Costello for doing some very basic reporting to destroy Marcia Blackburn in her effort to lie that the Obamacare web resources are stealing or violating your personal privacy:

FACT: only one question is asked that is remotely medical (if you are a smoker)

FACT2: Insurance applications are not medical documentation and do not apply re: HIPAA

SUPPORTING:

As Washington & Lee Law Professor Timothy S. Jost explained to ThinkProgress in an email, “HIPAA only applies to health care providers, clearinghouses (and this is a narrowly defined term) health plans, and their business associates.” “Even so, access is available to data without consent for health care operations, which this would be.” Deven McGraw, of the Health Privacy Project at the Center for Democracy & Technology, agreed, adding, “It does not violate HIPAA – it’s not even covered by HIPAA.”

The facts relayed here are the only good pre-existing conditions; conditions that Blackburn can't handle

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/10/25/2836231/cnn-anchor-challenges-congresswoman-substantiate-obamacare-criticism-hilarity-ensues/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcr400m. Show dcr400m's posts

Re: HIPAA / Obamacare website - kill this BS talking point (video included - in full)

In response to dcr400m's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks to Carol Costello for doing some very basic reporting to destroy Marcia Blackburn in her effort to lie that the Obamacare web resources are stealing or violating your personal privacy:

FACT: only one question is asked that is remotely medical (if you are a smoker)

The facts relayed here are the only good pre-existing conditions; conditions that Blackburn can't handle

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/10/25/2836231/cnn-anchor-challenges-congresswoman-substantiate-obamacare-criticism-hilarity-ensues/

[/QUOTE]

This is not new to me - my app is used in medical field for utilization management and issues revolving hipaa - i have run into this in the past and Marcia is a lying weasel in the worst way for fact twisting/getting it wrong too

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: HIPAA / Obamacare website - kill this BS talking point (video included - in full)

Whew! That's a relief!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

“buried in the source code of Healthcare.gov is this sentence that could prove embarrassing: ‘You have no reasonable expectation of privacy regarding any communication or data transiting or stored on this information system.’ ”

The website may not violate HIPAA, but that is small comfort..

Liberals bawl about privacy rights of Al Qaeda terrorists, but  give all their trust and love to their Nanny State  Government to keep law abiding citizen's information private and secure....

Several million American households are expected to enter personal information, such as about their finances and current health-insurance status, on the website in coming months. Both outside security experts and some members of Congress are concerned that the safeguarding of that information is at risk.

Rep. Mike Rogers (R) of Michigan, who also chairs the House Intelligence Committee, voiced concern that vast amounts of information, passing back and forth among Obamacare computers systems and insurance firms or other federal agencies, will be vulnerable to data theft.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

[QUOTE]Rep. Mike Rogers (R) of Michigan, who also chairs the House Intelligence Committee, voiced concern that vast amounts of information, passing back and forth among Obamacare computers systems and insurance firms or other federal agencies, will be vulnerable to data theft.[/QUOTE]

As the Obama administration has already proven with the IRS, your personal data can be used against you any time some apparatchik with a little bit of power decides that you're worthy of being a target.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

So, we are sending all our medical information, providing tons of personal information, and we should not expect that the government will do at least as much as what is demanded of the private sector?

And I thought the liberal talking point was that this is going to be SO much better.

crikey.  Shut the thing off, stop the law dead in its  tracks until this basic privacy requirement that is placed on private industry is put into the law and the site.

without it, expect your neighbor at the DMV to be reading your health records at lunch.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As if on cue, squeeter proves once again that the derangement factor with the wingnuts is off the charts and immune to facts and commonsense.

It would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.

[/QUOTE]

Right. Do you even understand HIPAA?

There is no reason why all these records should not be subject to HIPAA.

But, it is Obama, so it's ok.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So, we are sending all our medical information, providing tons of personal information, and we should not expect that the government will do at least as much as what is demanded of the private sector?

And I thought the liberal talking point was that this is going to be SO much better.

crikey.  Shut the thing off, stop the law dead in its  tracks until this basic privacy requirement that is placed on private industry is put into the law and the site.

without it, expect your neighbor at the DMV to be reading your health records at lunch.

skeeter.

""Though not visible to users and obviously not intended as part of the terms and conditions, the language is nevertheless a part of the underlying code for the "Terms & Conditions" page on the site."

The government IS held to the same privacy standards as the private sector. That is exactly what ACC was trying to convey in his post.

See the above portion of his post I copied. In bold black it reads "was not intended as part of the terms and conditions" etc.

[/QUOTE]

Well he's wrong.  The issue is not government, but the site. Is the site HIPAA compliant? The answer is no.

Check the questions being asked to enroll. Smoking? That's a health related question.  Are you pregnant? Also health related.

HIPAA does not only relate to health data, but one's personal data as well.  Seems to me the builders of the site have already admitted the security would not pass audit, so, likely the entire site in non-HIPAA compliant.

This is currently a subject of debate, in the very least.

but, considering the record of the government as of late I am suspect.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

skeeter.

""Though not visible to users and obviously not intended as part of the terms and conditions, the language is nevertheless a part of the underlying code for the "Terms & Conditions" page on the site."

The government IS held to the same privacy standards as the private sector. That is exactly what ACC was trying to convey in his post.

See the above portion of his post I copied. In bold black it reads "was not intended as part of the terms and conditions" etc.

[/QUOTE]

Well he's wrong.  The issue is not government, but the site. Is the site HIPAA compliant? The answer is no.

Check the questions being asked to enroll. Smoking? That's a health related question.  Are you pregnant? Also health related.

HIPAA does not only relate to health data, but one's personal data as well.  Seems to me the builders of the site have already admitted the security would not pass audit, so, likely the entire site in non-HIPAA compliant.

This is currently a subject of debate, in the very least.

but, considering the record of the government as of late I am suspect.

[/QUOTE]

skeeter,

As for smoking, this is how that question applies to group plans for example. The way the regulation reads is as follows:

"Can a plan provide a premium differential between smokers and nonsmokers?

The plan is offering a reward based on an individual’s ability to stop smoking.

Medical evidence suggests that smoking may be related to a health factor. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, which states that nicotine addiction is a medical condition, supports that position. In addition, a report of the Surgeon General adds that scientists in the field of drug addiction agree that nicotine, a substance common to all forms of tobacco, is a powerfully addictive drug.

For a group health plan to maintain a premium differential between smokers and nonsmokers and not be considered discriminatory, the plan’s nonsmoking program would need to meet the five requirements for wellness programs that require satisfaction of a standard related to a health factor.

Accordingly, under the final rules, this wellness program would be permitted if:

• The premium differential is not more than 20 percent of the total cost of employee-only coverage (or 20% of the cost of coverage if dependents can participate in the program);
    • The program is reasonably designed to promote health and prevent disease;
    • Individuals eligible for the program are given an opportunity to qualify for the discount at least once per year;
    • The program accommodates individuals for whom it is unreasonably difficult to quit using tobacco products due to addiction by providing a reasonable alternative standard (such as a discount in return for attending educational classes or for trying a nicotine patch); and
    • Plan materials describing the terms of the premium differential describe the availability of a reasonable alternative standard to qualify for the lower premium."

HIPPA does not mean you cannot ever ask health related questions. It has much more to do with how that information is used and protected as well as who and what falls under HIPPA.

The HIPPA rules are very long and cannot fit into a post. However they are easy to find on the internet.

The HITECH regulations are there as well for those who want to read them.

[/QUOTE]

Understood. I guess my question is if the data is suitably protected.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

The government has a history of punishing citizens and the private sector for behaviors it conducts itself on a regular basis. The  military is one of the bisggest polluters. If Fidelity promoted a retirement plan like Social Security, they'd go to jail. The states monoploize gambling. The list is endless. 

Even if there were some violation of HIPAA, is the government going to fine itself millions of dollars for violations? What would be the point?

There are plenty of reasons to repeal Obamacare and replace it with something more useful and less harmful. The use of technology to implement the plan is small potatoes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

skeeter,

"Understood. I guess my question is if the data is suitably protected."

So, now it is done to if all those HIPPA and HITECH regulations, where they are applicable, are being suitably enforced on the websites, but not the questions that are being asked, yes?

I would answer your question if it was in English.  Try me again.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

[QUOTE]The government has a history of punishing citizens and the private sector for behaviors it conducts itself on a regular basis. The  military is one of the bisggest polluters. If Fidelity promoted a retirement plan like Social Security, they'd go to jail. The states monoploize gambling. The list is endless. Even if there were some violation of HIPAA, is the government going to fine itself millions of dollars for violations? What would be the point?

There are plenty of reasons to repeal Obamacare and replace it with something more useful and less harmful. The use of technology to implement the plan is small potatoes.

[/QUOTE]

You wingnuts really just go off into the absurd on a regular basis.

It's like how you nitwits want to compare the federal budget to a family budget.

I'll tell you what... when you wingnuts can show me a family that needs to budget for roads, bridges, firefighting, local police force, international security, healthcare for the community, mail delivery etc.... when you dipsticks can find a family budget that accounts for those gov't functions, then you'll have a point. Until then quit with the ridiculously ignorant comparisons.

Only a moron or a wingnut thinks that the answer to a gov't mistake is to fine itself.

The gov't makes mistakes and when they are found to be negligent then they are charged with correcting them. That is the job of the judicial branch.

Have any of you idiots ever taken a civics class or a poly-sci class or US history?

From squeeter's ignorance of the Constitution to hansori's ignorance of the role and responsibility of gov't, ya'll are the blind leading the bilnd and are working off of some absurd, whacko wingnut script that ignores the Constitution and the how the Founding Fathers intended the federal gov't to function.

My gawd just stop being the stupid party already.

[/QUOTE]

If deficits don't matter, then let's print up and give every man, woman, and child a trillion dollars each.

Do you think that would have an impact on our economy? on our budget?

As far as the Constitution:  Show me where in the Constitution you find controlling Health care as an enumerated power of the government.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The government has a history of punishing citizens and the private sector for behaviors it conducts itself on a regular basis. The  military is one of the bisggest polluters. If Fidelity promoted a retirement plan like Social Security, they'd go to jail. The states monoploize gambling. The list is endless. 

Even if there were some violation of HIPAA, is the government going to fine itself millions of dollars for violations? What would be the point?

[/QUOTE]

This is the problem with putting these things into government's hands:  You  have the offender of rights also being the judge of the offence. Otherwise known as the fox guarding the hen house.

I don't trust government with the things they managed before Obamacare:  The IRS issues, corruption, wars.  Why should I trust them now?