Hold on a minute Mr. President

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Hold on a minute Mr. President

Is anyone else as disturbed as I am over the recent release of a memo which states that it is okay for the US government to kill American citizens with drone strikes if they are suspected of terrorist activities?

I find this to be an incredible over reach of the power of government. I believe in the Constitution, especially the Bill of Rights and to sentence an American citizen to death without due process is not a policy I think we should be adopting as a country.

We have a system of justice in this country and the Bill of Rights guarantees citizens protections against government. It's our job to ensure that this is respected.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: Hold on a minute Mr. President

In response to TFefio's comment:

Now this is a policy (if true) I can support. If there are terrorists among us, smoke em! That also goes for any gun crazed loon spotted in places like Chicago walking down the street carrying a gun! Waste em! 

How old are you?  About 6?

The Constitution stipulates that calling someone a terrorist doesn't make them one. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

White bible and gun loving citizens better watch the skies! lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Yes, we now know that waterboarding is despicable no matter how many lives it saves but the assasination of American citizens is a perfectly acceptable way to conduct a war on terrorism.

Thanks to the Obama administration for clearing that up for me.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Is anyone else as disturbed as I am over the recent release of a memo which states that it is okay for the US government to kill American citizens with drone strikes if they are suspected of terrorist activities?

I find this to be an incredible over reach of the power of government. I believe in the Constitution, especially the Bill of Rights and to sentence an American citizen to death without due process is not a policy I think we should be adopting as a country.

We have a system of justice in this country and the Bill of Rights guarantees citizens protections against government. It's our job to ensure that this is respected.

Crocodile tears....this is no secret and the accelerated drone strikes has been going on since the day Obama took office.

No doubt the day Obama was sworn in, as a good liberal you put away your "Arrest Bush-Cheney for War Crimes" protest sign and spent the past few years admiring the magazine covers of Obama with a halo aroud his head..

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

That is true of torture, yes. Worse for you, waterboarding didn't save a single life.

That is true of torture, however, we're talking about waterboarding.

Beyone that, we will just have to respectfully disagree with the analysis of your no doubt complete knowledge of the information gained from KSM that allegedly allowed the U.S. the means to abort several plots that had been in progress.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to Newtster's comment:

If some American citizen is involved with some foreign enemy at a time of war they are fair game to get shot without a criminal due process. WHat makes this more of a mess is that our politicians are too chicken to declare war and circumvent the Constitution

You miss the point.  In this country its not enough to just accuse someone of being involved with a foreign enemy.  You have to prove it.

What if your neighbor who doesn't like you told the FBI you are an al Qaeda operative and you were rendered to Afghanistan for torture or were killed?

Kings once had the power to kill people at their will.  We shouldn't operate that way.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

If some American citizen is involved with some foreign enemy at a time of war they are fair game to get shot without a criminal due process. WHat makes this more of a mess is that our politicians are too chicken to declare war and circumvent the Constitution

Call me wrong if I am, but I am pretty sure that the resolution wasn't just war against Afghanistan, it included war against Al Queda. So I dont' think the Constitution is being circumvented. 

The problem to me is in the bolded:

"(1) an informed, high-level U.S. official believes that the individual in question poses an imminent threat of violent attack; (2) capture is not feasible; and (3) the operation complies with the laws of war."

There is nothing here that informs "belief". That is, it isn't clear to me that a strike would be deemed inappropriate according to the memo even if the official is negligent or reckless in his belief.

The same goes for imminent. The standard dictionary definition is: likely to occur at any moment.

But that can't be what the memo means. It would be absurd to think that the memo really means "you have to wait until the guy is about to detonate his vest".

So we have the same collateral damage here that we are inflicting in other countries and that's ok because our govt knows best?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

Crocodile tears....this is no secret and the accelerated drone strikes has been going on since the day Obama took office.

No doubt the day Obama was sworn in, as a good liberal you put away your "Arrest Bush-Cheney for War Crimes" protest sign and spent the past few years admiring the magazine covers of Obama with a halo aroud his head..

Crocodile tears..?? By all means..please elaborate.  I never claimed to be a "liberal"....that is the label the extreme right likes to slap onto any individual who might disagree with their extreme ideology.

Unlike CLC..I can appreciate and respect my President..yet still disagree with and question some of his decisions.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Call me wrong if I am, but I am pretty sure that the resolution wasn't just war against Afghanistan, it included war against Al Queda. So I dont' think the Constitution is being circumvented.

The problem to me is in the bolded:

"(1) an informed, high-level U.S. official believes that the individual in question poses an imminent threat of violent attack; (2) capture is not feasible; and (3) the operation complies with the laws of war."

There is nothing here that informs "belief". That is, it isn't clear to me that a strike would be deemed inappropriate according to the memo even if the official is negligent or reckless in his belief.

The same goes for imminent. The standard dictionary definition is: likely to occur at any moment.

But that can't be what the memo means. It would be absurd to think that the memo really means "you have to wait until the guy is about to detonate his vest".

That is basically what makes me so uncomfortable. I would not want to mete out the death penalty to an American citizen based on belief or speculation. I would want to see hard evidence.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

Now this is a policy (if true) I can support. If there are terrorists among us, smoke em! That also goes for any gun crazed loon spotted in places like Chicago walking down the street carrying a gun! Waste em! 

The Constitution stipulates that calling someone a terrorist doesn't make them one. 

That's right!

it's called "man caused disaster" instead.  That makes it all fuzzy and constitutional-like.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

That's right!

it's called "man caused disaster" instead.  That makes it all fuzzy and constitutional-like.

Huh..??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfilio. Show portfilio's posts

Several president from both parties applauded the government's murder of the Black Panthers, Puerto Rican Independistas, Native American activists.  When liberals complained about that in the 1960s they were called commies and traitors.

How strange of right wingers to object now when they were silent back then.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

The wording of the memo strikes me as way too broad.

But I don't have a problem with the concept in general. If an American defected to the Germans during WWII, no one would blink an eye if we shot him dead.

WDYWN-

Very good analogy with which I believe everyone can agree with.

The world is alot more complicated now without formal declarations of war between countries in this area. However, if an American citizen engages terrorist activity I believe they lose the protections of our Constitution.

Perhaps as you state, the memo is written too broadly and perhaps that is where cricket has her biggest problem with it not to speak for her of course.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

That's right!

Huh..??

What we have here is a failure to comunicate.

It is a bit disturbing to see the liberals treating Obama's violation of the constitution as a technicality, worthy of a speeding ticket, while demanding Bush be frogg-marched for the same offence.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

Crocodile tears..?? By all means..please elaborate.  I never claimed to be a "liberal"....that is the label the extreme right likes to slap onto any individual who might disagree with their extreme ideology.

Unlike CLC..I can appreciate and respect my President..yet still disagree with and question some of his decisions.

If you are not a liberal, then the word has no meaning.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I guess the operative question right now is "is it okay to drop water on a terrorist if it's done from a drone?"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

the US Constitution stops at the US border....as long as no Americans are killed by drones on US soil, I'm fine.  It's risky to travel abroad.....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to macnh1's comment:

the US Constitution stops at the US border....as long as no Americans are killed by drones on US soil, I'm fine.  It's risky to travel abroad.....

Actually.. I don't believe that is true. If it was..are you saying our soldiers are not protected by the constitution when out of the country?

Sections
Shortcuts