How Badly Did Obama Step in It With His Sequestration Mistake?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: How Badly Did Obama Step in It With His Sequestration Mistake?

In response to FortySixAnd2's comment:

In response to slomag's comment:

Sticking with debts & deficits, the Dems voted against the Bush tax cuts.  In fact, the reason the tax cuts were set to expire was because they did not have enough votes to actually pass a legitimate tax cut, so they used a loop-hole that allowed temporary cuts that sunset after the maximum 10 years.  

True....and then a Dem extended them....TWICE.

Regarding the wars, yes many Dems authorized the use of military force, but does this play out the same way with a Dem Commander in Chief?  Forget the competence factor for a moment - just recognize that this is the first time in history we not only did not raise taxes at a time of war, but we actually lowered them.  Ask yourself - does that play out the same way with Dems or independents in control?

Yes....many Dems DID authorize the use of military force. Thanks for making my point.

I'd be curious to hear Reuben's take on this - I don't consider myself extreme - I'm just following logical conclusions.  I think assigning equal blame for Iraq and the Bush tax cuts to the Dems is extreme, and delusional.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to airborne-rgr's comment:

In response to Reubenhop's comment:

From where I sit, Republicans have done nothing but damage the county for the past 30 years.  They have zero interest in the health of the country, the economy and future generations.  Just get them out of the way so the adults can govern.

If the Repubs spent the last 30 years damaging the country then what the hell were the Dems doing during the same time? Why did they just sit idly by while the Repubs damaged the country? Why didn't the Dems act like "adults and govern"???????

Maybe, just maybe, there is a middle ground between these views.  Maybe...

Talk to slomag....he brought it up...

The comment is for all to see.  

And let's not pretend that such extremist views don't belong on both sides of the left/right divide.

Just because it's extreme, doesn't mean it's not true.  You're a reasonable person - how much of the deficits over the past 30 years to you put at the feet of the Republicans?  

Let's stipulate that both sides have failed to address mandatory spending that was in place prior to 1980 to keep up with population growth, longer lives, the baby boom, etc.

So since 1980 ( I pick that year because I feel like that was the start of our irresponsible behavior, and the era of living from one bubble to the next), what do you see as the contributing factors to our debt & deficit?  Who do you blame, and to what extent?

Ronnie Raygun proved deficits don't matter... unless of course they're Dem deficits... and of course we must forget who was in the Whitehouse the only time we've had budget surpluses....

Again, going to the distant past to try to support your current weak argument is, well, weak.

Tell us why debt and deficits don't matter TODAY.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

From where I sit, Republicans have done nothing but damage the county for the past 30 years.  They have zero interest in the health of the country, the economy and future generations.  Just get them out of the way so the adults can govern.

If the Repubs spent the last 30 years damaging the country then what the hell were the Dems doing during the same time? Why did they just sit idly by while the Repubs damaged the country? Why didn't the Dems act like "adults and govern"???????

And let's not pretend that such extremist views don't belong on both sides of the left/right divide.

Just because it's extreme, doesn't mean it's not true.  You're a reasonable person - how much of the deficits over the past 30 years to you put at the feet of the Republicans?  

Let's stipulate that both sides have failed to address mandatory spending that was in place prior to 1980 to keep up with population growth, longer lives, the baby boom, etc.

So since 1980 ( I pick that year because I feel like that was the start of our irresponsible behavior, and the era of living from one bubble to the next), what do you see as the contributing factors to our debt & deficit?  Who do you blame, and to what extent?

I think the G.O.P. created deficits from their combination of unpaid wars and tax cuts and the Dems created theirs by the stimulus.  I fault the Republicans because theirs were created by choice far more than the Dems.  They get more of the blame, but the blame game only gets us so far.  Look to the future...

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

slomag and airborne are hyper partisan and see no fault within their own party and place total blame on the other party.

What they are missing is the fact that in reality there are no "real parties" there is the Washington establishment that makes up a majority of both parties. The small minority that are NOT part of the establishment have no power and will be ruined by the establishment if, they become too much trouble for the establishment.

47% will blame republicans

and

47% will blame democrats

And the ESTABLISHMENT depends on that to remain in power!!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think the G.O.P. created deficits from their combination of unpaid wars and tax cuts and the Dems created theirs by the stimulus.  I fault the Republicans because theirs were created by choice far more than the Dems.  They get more of the blame, but the blame game only gets us so far.  Look to the future...

Right but that doesn't cover the 30 years that slomag is talking about. So again I'll ask...have the Dems been asleep for the past 30 years? Have the Dems been spineless, gutless weasles to not do anything in the past 30 years to stop this Repub reign of terror???

Yes it does go back 30 years - if you don't believe that, try raising taxes to the rates the day Reagan took office.  70% marginal rates on the top tier.  Every time taxes are cut or raised they become the new normal for the next tax battle.  Is it so much to ask that we pay off our debt before cutting tax rates in half?

What did Reagan do?  He cut taxes, and spent like crazy.  He (technically the fed, but his guy) cut interest rates in half, the economy grew on the back of new real estate investments, and the first of the next thirty years of artificial economy was under way.  Obama didn't just inherit a free-falling economy, he inherited interest rates at zero percent - no tools to turn this around.  

30 years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

slomag and airborne are hyper partisan and see no fault within their own party and place total blame on the other party.

What they are missing is the fact that in reality there are no "real parties" there is the Washington establishment that makes up a majority of both parties. The small minority that are NOT part of the establishment have no power and will be ruined by the establishment if, they become too much trouble for the establishment.

and

47% will blame democrats

Name-calling is never a strong rebuttal.  Find me examples of Democrat spending in the past 30 years that come close to the contributions to our debt & deficit that the Reagan & Bush tax cuts, and the wars and handling of the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan have contributed.

Or, alternatively, admit that any Republican posturing on debts & deficit today is laughable.

Or ignore this and / or change the subject, and retreat to the safety of your baseless ideology.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Ronnie Raygun proved deficits don't matter... unless of course they're Dem deficits... and of course we must forget who was in the Whitehouse the only time we've had budget surpluses....

Again, going to the distant past to try to support your current weak argument is, well, weak.

Tell us why debt and deficits don't matter TODAY.

Hey numbnuts, that was the argument put forth by your whacko wingnuts.

So tell us why deficits didn't matter then, but they do now.

Nice Try. Stick in the present. So, why do YOU think that deficits and debt are not a problem TODAY.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

and

47% will blame democrats

Name-calling is never a strong rebuttal.  Find me examples of Democrat spending in the past 30 years that come close to the contributions to our debt & deficit that the Reagan & Bush tax cuts, and the wars and handling of the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan have contributed.

Or, alternatively, admit that any Republican posturing on debts & deficit today is laughable.

Or ignore this and / or change the subject, and retreat to the safety of your baseless ideology.

The past is irrelevant and unchangeable. Why is deficit and debt ok today? What are your thoughts?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

But, why talk about all this? Obama has suffered mightily with his sequestration failure.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

and

47% will blame democrats

The past is irrelevant and unchangeable. Why is deficit and debt ok today? What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are if you shoot a man in the chest on the steps of the hospital, you don't get to tell the doctors how to save him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In response to NO MO O's comment:

In response to TFefio's comment:

To step in it means you misjudged and went ahead anyway.

HE CREATED THE DARN THING!  He's a doofus! 

No my fellow American.. HE is manipulative and arrogant.

The absolute worst president ever. Master of the media and how to LIE.

Obama the worst president ever?  No understanding of history at all.  Bush II is worse and he is not even the worst.  Try James Buchanan or Warren Harding.  Pick up a history book.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

How did you get to be all knowing? Was it a God given gift? Some radioactive disaster? Genetic?

Give the Messiah time... I believe in HIM. He will destroy democracy comrade Rubie.

You are making the blanket statements, not me.  You use terms like "Messiah" not me.  You can't see beyond your innate prejudice.  Think for a change.  You will be a better person for it.  

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Regardless, the people at-large will continue to blame congress for not getting things done.  This is the uncomfortable truth for everyone involved.  The only real question is who will be held responsible at the ballot box.

I think you can't blame Congress for a vote they take - if that vote doesn't represent the interests of their constituents, then that congressman will be voted out of office.  You can blame congress for blocking votes - which is what the Republicans in the Senate have done for the past four years.  They've blocked jobs bills, they've blocked health care for first responders of 9/11, they've blocked bills that cut taxes, they've blocked bills that reduce the deficit, they've blocked bills that have GOP support in the house, and they've even blocked their own bills.

I think you need to broaden youur understanding here.  The Republicans can't block anything in the Senate.  it is a mathamatical impossibility.  They are in the minority.  The most they can be iis a nuisance.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to TFefio's comment:

To step in it means you misjudged and went ahead anyway.

HE CREATED THE DARN THING!  He's a doofus! 

No my fellow American.. HE is manipulative and arrogant.

The absolute worst president ever. Master of the media and how to LIE.

Obama the worst president ever?  No understanding of history at all.  Bush II is worse and he is not even the worst.  Try James Buchanan or Warren Harding.  Pick up a history book.

Obama could be a great president, but he has one big flaw, he does not have the country's best interests t heart.  This keeps him focused on things liek destroying the republican party, and keeps him in perpetual campaign mode.  what he won't do is step up to the role and lead, whihc involves things he doesn't liek to do, like listen and compromise.

Sections
Shortcuts