How did Joe Biden collect $30,000 in Social Security Last Year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

How did Joe Biden collect $30,000 in Social Security Last Year?

The VP's taxes are out.  One thing that stands out is that he reports $30,000 in Social Security income.  I'm trying to figure out how a guy who has been in the senate since 1973 manages to collect that amouint in social security.  Senators don't pay into Social Security.  He only worked for four years as a public lawyer, so I don't see how that figures in.

Does anyone know?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: How did Joe Biden collect $30,000 in Social Security Last Year?

In response to Newtster's comment:

I do not know for sure what the explanation might be. But, didn't they force Congress to go on to social security back in 1995? If so, then you have to figure what the max is for that much being taxed for a contribution. Then it is both he and his wife that earn the $30K. Plus, I believe he is over the age where your benefits get reduced if you earn a certain amount of money.

Assuming things stay the same, two people who have been taxed by Social Securty to pay benefits to the retirees for 40 years, you could easily make $50-$60K in bebefits once you retire. So if his wife worked at a real job for a long time and he only contributed for part of the time for his total career of exploiting the public, $30k seems OK.

OK.  Congress paid in since '83.  This is starting to make sense.  His wife, however, is 61, and not eligible.  She seemsto have been a teacher for most of her work years.  Still works.  Maybe survivor benefits from first wife?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

I do not know for sure what the explanation might be. But, didn't they force Congress to go on to social security back in 1995? If so, then you have to figure what the max is for that much being taxed for a contribution. Then it is both he and his wife that earn the $30K. Plus, I believe he is over the age where your benefits get reduced if you earn a certain amount of money.

Assuming things stay the same, two people who have been taxed by Social Securty to pay benefits to the retirees for 40 years, you could easily make $50-$60K in bebefits once you retire. So if his wife worked at a real job for a long time and he only contributed for part of the time for his total career of exploiting the public, $30k seems OK.

OK.  Congress paid in since '83.  This is starting to make sense.  His wife, however, is 61, and not eligible.  She seemsto have been a teacher for most of her work years.  Still works.  Maybe survivor benefits from first wife?

Skeeter..why speculate? Just read the tax return. Biden's 29K was his SS benefit only. He paid taxes on 25k of it..but why the question? 30K in SS benefits doesn't seem out of line when you know the law.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"Biden pocketed $26,400 renting cottage to Secret Service..."

That isn't right. The Secret Service must stay close to Biden. The Secret Service should use the cottage and return it in the same condition to Biden.

Uncle Joe remains a skinflint in charitable donations...like most liberals, he is very generous only with other people's money.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Skeeter..why speculate? Just read the tax return. Biden's 29K was his SS benefit only. He paid taxes on 25k of it..but why the question? 30K in SS benefits doesn't seem out of line when you know the law.

When the facts aren't on your side, argue the law?

Not an ounce of speculation, just a lot of questions.  I truly don't understand how someone working in the public sector for almost 40 years gets a huge government pension and a huge social security payment, a payment almost twice what the average working man gets.

Maybe the law is broken.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

"Biden pocketed $26,400 renting cottage to Secret Service..."

That isn't right. The Secret Service must stay close to Biden. The Secret Service should use the cottage and return it in the same condition to Biden.

Uncle Joe remains a skinflint in charitable donations...like most liberals, he is very generous only with other people's money.

I think you are on to something.  I am beginning to think that liberals think their tax dollars are charitable donations, so the heck with the rest.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Not an ounce of speculation, just a lot of questions.  I truly don't understand how someone working in the public sector for almost 40 years gets a huge government pension and a huge social security payment, a payment almost twice what the average working man gets.

Maybe the law is broken.

Almost twice what the average working man gets..? I don't think that's quite correct. What facts..? All you have to do is look at the tax returns. I hate to break it to you Skeeter but the more you pay in to social security the more you get back. Are you suggesting that Biden somehow broke the law? Are you suggesting that Social security be means tested?

I know plenty of people who collect pensions and social security. Most of these people are teachers..who chose to work second jobs to make ends meet. I don't begrudge them that...they paid into their pensions and they paid into Social security. Plenty of higher income earners also do this. Millions of senior citizens also do this. What do you think IRA's and 401k's are for?

Also..you have to remember..Biden has been in office a long time. Prior to 1984 members of Congress participated in CSRS.  Therefore Biden would be entitled to any money he contributed to that system prior to Congress switching to Social Security.  He's been paying into SS for well over 20 years. I am still not sure what the issue is for you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

I will withhold judgement until I see all the politicians in DC tax returns .

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Is that what you were saying when the left was demanding to see Romney's taxes going back to when he was a paper boy?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Is that what you were saying when the left was demanding to see Romney's taxes going back to when he was a paper boy?

No I said is it  true that romney didn't pay Federal taxes for almost 10  years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Maybe the law is broken.

Almost twice what the average working man gets..? I don't think that's quite correct. What facts..? All you have to do is look at the tax returns. I hate to break it to you Skeeter but the more you pay in to social security the more you get back. Are you suggesting that Biden somehow broke the law? Are you suggesting that Social security be means tested?

I know plenty of people who collect pensions and social security. Most of these people are teachers..who chose to work second jobs to make ends meet. I don't begrudge them that...they paid into their pensions and they paid into Social security. Plenty of higher income earners also do this. Millions of senior citizens also do this. What do you think IRA's and 401k's are for?

Also..you have to remember..Biden has been in office a long time. Prior to 1984 members of Congress participated in CSRS.  Therefore Biden would be entitled to any money he contributed to that system prior to Congress switching to Social Security.  He's been paying into SS for well over 20 years. I am still not sure what the issue is for you.

Actually, more than the average.  According to the Socail Security web site:

"The average monthly Social Security benefit for a retired worker was about $1,230 at the beginning of 2012. "

The issue is I don't see the logic of Congress being on social security AND a government pension, and I am a bit surpised at the amount. 

It shocked me, that's all.  And, becasue I am asking follow up questions, you of course go on the attack to try to shut me down. 

Typical fascist.