How Gay is "Duck Dynasty" Merchandise? (Gay Satire)

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Re: How Gay is

In response to Beach-Spider's comment:

Advocate.com | By: The Editors | Dec 20, 2013

How Gay is "Duck Dynasty" Merchandise?

A gay comedian takes a trip to Walmart to see for himself.

Jeff took a trip to Walmart to check out the "Duck Dynasty" merchandise available, declaring it all "Super Gay".

There are pink pillows, pink drinking tumblers, and pink tank tops with the message, "Hey!" emblazoned on front.

Jeff also checks out decals (with messages like "Hey Jack") and Duck Dynasty towels perfect for the "Gay Nude Beach".

Watch Jeff's video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eMNujlo5Ng

spidey,

Nice job...again.

Maybe it is my age...baby boomer...but until this controversy "Duck Dynasty" was not even on my radar.

I had to ask someone what it was. Answer. A reality show.

Okay. Big deal. There are tons of them now. You could now pay me to watch them. I have tried when taking an eye break from computer, or a break from cleaning, or etc...

Now we have multiple threads about guys with beards that A&E suspended/fired over some homophobic and racist remarks.

No offense to all the male posters on this board, bu were you guys into this show or is the principle of a private company pulling a reality show hat important to spend this much time on them?

Or maybe it is a slow news cycle AND it is only 4 days to Xmas.

Most of the men I have known do not get as involved in all the Xmas prep as the women. I.e., the gift buying, the cooking, the decorating, the jugggling of invitations along with work.

They come pretty peacefully along like wingmen until New Year's Eve. 

Then they cut loose big time. Have massive hangovers. Watch football until their eyes cannot take it anymore and fall asleep in a lounge chair, sofa, the floor.

Life is normal again until Valentine's Day.

After a few years together most men are not that into it. Flowers, no more candy unless they want to eat it, dinner out, a token gift, done.

Okay, I am done. 

Still will word and post a Merry Xmas thread as a continue to wait for the roofers to save my kitchen. I went into the wrong profession. Roofers are always needed. Recession or not...you need a roof over your head.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

spidey,

"Duck Dynasty Merch Is Super Gay"

The video is hilarious. I cannot believe he did ALL THAT live in a Walmart store.

If this show is ON Demand, I am going to watch an episode or two, keeping this video in mind.

And congratulations to Jeff. He lives in CA, and now can marry and is going to marry his partner due to the demise of Prop.8.

To all the homophobic rednecks protesting the latest, I hope they see this video. Esp. those with Duck Dynasty merchandise. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

spidey,

The video is hilarious. I cannot believe he did ALL THAT live in a Walmart store.

If this show is ON Demand, I am going to watch an episode or two, keeping this video in mind.

And congratulations to Jeff. He lives in CA, and now can marry and is going to marry his partner due to the demise of Prop.8.

To all the homophobic rednecks protesting the latest, I hope they see this video. Esp. those with Duck Dynasty merchandise. 

I dont get how phil's comments are being turned into derogatory comments against gays and blacks.. He simply said he thinks homosexuality is a sin in the eyes of the lord, and according to the bible it is..He never said he hated gays. He never said he hated blacks either, he simply described what he personally saw of blacks during his life. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

spidey,

I dont get how phil's comments are being turned into derogatory comments against gays and blacks.. He simply said he thinks homosexuality is a sin in the eyes of the lord, and according to the bible it is..He never said he hated gays. He never said he hated blacks either, he simply described what he personally saw of blacks during his life. 

Even if the bible says homosexuality is a sin, our country is not "run" by the bible.

People who are homosexual are equal to people who are heterosexual, though they have had to fight for their rights to be treated equally for a vey long time.

The men who appear on this reality show, "Duck Dynasty" are employed by a private comapny. A&E.

A&E has the right to suspend and to fire them jsut like any other actor or any other show. That is what they did. They no longer want "Duck Dynasty" on their network.

Those of us who do not work for ourselves can be fired at will. If we have employment contracts, many of us also have moral clauses. 

Most celebrities, athletes, etc.c have moral clauses in their contracts. My educated guess is A&E relied on the morals clause in thier contract.

This clause is usually very broad. Ask Alec Baldwin who was recently fired by MSNBS after he went on a homophobic rant after just 5 shows. Also Martin Bashir. Also fired by MSNBC after making an unfortunate remark concerning Sarah Palin.

Bashir is a great journaist. He apoligized the very next day. Then went on a "pre-planned" vacation. But all of that was not enough for the heads at MSNBS.

Duck Dynasty is hardly Martin Bashir.

Maybe they can find a home at another network. They seem extremely popular with very loyal fans.They might have had a non-compete clause, but having being fired, they can argue that voids that clause.

Maybe they can go to Bravo...the home of all the Kardashian shows.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

spidey,

Even if the bible says homosexuality is a sin, our country is not "run" by the bible.

People who are homosexual are equal to people who are heterosexual, though they have had to fight for their rights to be treated equally for a vey long time.

The men who appear on this reality show, "Duck Dynasty" are employed by a private comapny. A&E.

A&E has the right to suspend and to fire them jsut like any other actor or any other show. That is what they did. They no longer want "Duck Dynasty" on their network.

Those of us who do not work for ourselves can be fired at will. If we have employment contracts, many of us also have moral clauses. 

Most celebrities, athletes, etc.c have moral clauses in their contracts. My educated guess is A&E relied on the morals clause in thier contract.

This clause is usually very broad. Ask Alec Baldwin who was recently fired by MSNBS after he went on a homophobic rant after just 5 shows. Also Martin Bashir. Also fired by MSNBC after making an unfortunate remark concerning Sarah Palin.

Bashir is a great journaist. He apoligized the very next day. Then went on a "pre-planned" vacation. But all of that was not enough for the heads at MSNBS.

Maybe they can find a home at another network. They seem extremely popular with very loyal fans.They might have had a non-compete clause, but having being fired, they can argue that voids that clause.

Just forget that our country is prodomantly christian andie, it really doesnt surprise me that more christians dont come out and say the same thing for fear of backlash like Phil is recieving. 

I get that people's life choice's don't make them any less equal than their heterosexual counter parts... What i dont get is why gay and lesbian orginizations feel the need to bash and demonize people who say they dont agree with homosexuality yet say nothing of hating homosexuals or lesbians. Gay's want special treatment for being different yet can't handle other people disagreeing with how they are different, it makes themselves look just as bad as the people who really do hate homosexuals and lesbians. 

Make no mistake that A&E needs duck dynasty more than duck dynasty needs A&E... Duck dynasty was a very successful company before A&E and will continue to be successful after A&E. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

spidey,

don't worry - you can always watch reruns of Honey Boo Boo, or that toothless guy that hunts snapping turtles, or those guys that look for sunken logs in the bayou.  Red Neck TV will survive.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

spidey,

Just forget that our country is prodomantly christian andie, it really doesnt surprise me that more christians dont come out and say the same thing for fear of backlash like Phil is recieving. 

I get that people's life choice's don't make them any less equal than their heterosexual counter parts... What i dont get is why gay and lesbian orginizations feel the need to bash and demonize people who say they dont agree with homosexuality yet say nothing of hating homosexuals or lesbians. Gay's want special treatment for being different yet can't handle other people disagreeing with how they are different, it makes themselves look just as bad as the people who really do hate homosexuals and lesbians. 

Make no mistake that A&E needs duck dynasty more than duck dynasty needs A&E... Duck dynasty was a very successful company before A&E and will continue to be successful after A&E. 

xX3S1NXx,

I really do appreciate you sticking up for the show, and Phil in particular.

I hear what you are saying and I am not playing devil's advocate. Sometimes it is important to because many issues not only have two side, many many sides.

The fact that a plurality of our country identifies themselves as Christians should have no bearing on this issue.

One of the bedrock principles of our county is separation of church and state. 

Whatever doctrines your church teaches can have nothing to do with a matter such as this. 

There are other major religions. So, for example, if one of the doctrines of one of those relgions wee imposed upon you, and violated Christian doctrine you would be most unhappy. 

Example, women being forced to cover their heads all the time. I would be most unhappy if suddenly that was imposed here. Not just because I am a woman but because it violates my rights as an American citizen to impose your religious beliefs on me in America.

Maybe that is one of the reasons there is so many posts on this deal with Duck Dynasty. It has constitutional implications, religious implications, civil liberty implications, a very loyal fan base I am finding as well of course as the oppotunity to have some fune with the whole redneck long beard thing.

Other posters, esp. those who watched the show, may have a different take on this. I am doing my best to relate to something I never watched.

Btw, I think I should get props for addressing you by your chosen user name. I appreciate that you used my name in your post. A lot of postes here do, but my name is rather easy. I like doing it becase I think it somehow helps a bit in the discussions.

I believe in my 2 years in this forum, you have the hardest name to repeat in a post. It would make a great password probably however. (:

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

spidey,

xX3S1NXx,

I really do appreciate you sticking up for the show, and Phil in particular.

I hear what you are saying and I am not playing devil's advocate. Sometimes it is important to because many issues not only have two side, many many sides.

The fact that a plurality of our country identifies themselves as Christians should have no bearing on this issue.

One of the bedrock principles of our county is separation of church and state. 

Whatever doctrines your church teaches can have nothing to do with a matter such as this. 

There are other major religions. So, for example, if one of the doctrines of one of those relgions wee imposed upon you, and violated Christian doctrine you would be most unhappy. 

Example, women being forced to cover their heads all the time. I would be most unhappy if suddenly that was imposed here. Not just because I am a woman but because it violates my rights as an American citizen to impose your religious beliefs on me in America.

Maybe that is one of the reasons there is so many posts on this deal with Duck Dynasty. It has constitutional implications, religious implications, civil liberty implications, a very loyal fan base I am finding as well of course as the oppotunity to have some fune with the whole redneck long beard thing.

Other posters, esp. those who watched the show, may have a different take on this. I am doing my best to relate to something I never watched.

Btw, I think I should get props for addressing you by your chosen user name. I appreciate that you used my name in your post. A lot of postes here do, but my name is rather easy. I like doing it becase I think it somehow helps a bit in the discussions.

I believe in my 2 years in this forum, you have the hardest name to repeat in a post. It would make a great password probably however. (:

I think  xXR3S1NXx (and others) missed the whole part about equating same sex relationships with b3stiality (bdc made me remove the actual spelling). Perhaps he (they) don't know what the word means. I've often thought it should be spelled as "beastiality" merely to assist stupid people in understanding what it means. But, even then, I doubt they'd understand why the equivocation is offensive to others. I also doubt they know the meaning of the word equivocation. Or "offensive." Or "relationship" for that matter. Possibly "sex" as well.

It's a great password. A really stupid user name.

I think you should edit your post - let people reveal what they want about themselves.  We don't really know anything about each other - what seems like an innocent tease can cause somebody a lot of hurt.

Plus, it's xmas :)

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

spidey,

don't worry - you can always watch reruns of Honey Boo Boo, or that toothless guy that hunts snapping turtles, or those guys that look for sunken logs in the bayou.  Red Neck TV will survive.

You seem to know a lot about "red neck" TV. I haven't the slightest idea what shows you're even referring to. What the heck is a "honey boo boo"?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

He simply said he thinks homosexuality is a sin in the eyes of the lord, and according to the bible it is.

Ok, and a growing number of people don't think the fact that religion should be a shield for bigotry.

Now, "homosexuality is a sin" isn't quite as bad as "I hate gay people," but I can see how that would be pretty offensive to someone who is gay.

Is the standing rule in free speech that it not be offensive?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

In response to ronreganfan's comment:

He simply said he thinks homosexuality is a sin in the eyes of the lord, and according to the bible it is.

Ok, and a growing number of people don't think the fact that religion should be a shield for bigotry.

Now, "homosexuality is a sin" isn't quite as bad as "I hate gay people," but I can see how that would be pretty offensive to someone who is gay.

Again....this has nothing to do with free speech.  This man is free to state his opinion over and over again if he wishes. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

"Free speech" has nothing to do with it.

Or did Obama have him jailed over the weekend and I missed it?

OK, strike free, leave it at speech. 

So, he is not allowed to say anything offensive?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:

Again....this has nothing to do with free speech.  This man is free to state his opinion over and over again if he wishes. 

That's the point, and that is free speech.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from undermyskin. Show undermyskin's posts

I read some of the GQ mag. It was about the Duck Guy's life. 

He quoted his up bringing , using the Bible as a template.

But free speech has gone in this world today

this is my third swing hope i don't strike out

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

[]

[]

[]

[]

What do you mean by "allowed"?

He's "allowed" to say what he likes, and his employer is "allowed" to fire him for it.

Glad to see you agree.  

Now let's get to bigotry.  How is what was said bigoted? Unless I misread you, and you are actually indicating that GLAAD was acting out of bigotry.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to undermyskin's comment:

I read some of the GQ mag. It was about the Duck Guy's life. 

He quoted his up bringing , using the Bible as a template.

But free speech has gone in this world today

this is my third swing hope i don't strike out

Liberals are tripping all over the concept of "free speech".  Of course this is an example of free speech, as in, he is allowed to say it.  Free speech is not without consequence, however.  But, to keep the simple minded liberals on point, I dropped the "free" part.  Whihc is actually telling.  Liberals are not down with free speech.  They are all about speech codes, the fairness doctrine, etc.  Limiting speech is their key weapon, and they pick and choose when to be offended, and when to wait.

Do you really think GLAAD would go to the mats on this if some liberal said this, or some muslim of note?  How about the pope?    

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

[]

[]

[]

[]

What do you mean by "allowed"?

He's "allowed" to say what he likes, and his employer is "allowed" to fire him for it.

Glad to see you agree.  

Now let's get to bigotry.  How is what was said bigoted? Unless I misread you, and you are actually indicating that GLAAD was acting out of bigotry.

GLAAD? I was just talking about the duck dynasty guy.

I think the statement "homosexuality is a sin" is religious bigotry, and I don't think "hate the sin, love the sinner" helps rescue things. Saying "gay people are sinners, but I don't hate gay people" only goes so far. OK, but the speaker is still expressing moral disapproval of them based on a genetic/epi-genetic characteristic.

Because what, after all, is the concept of 'sin'? Something that is wrong to do.

I'm not going to get worked up one way or another over him, but I can see why an employer might fire an employee for making statements like that.

I agree on not getting worked up.  He's got a point of view, which many disagree, and many agree.  It is hardly a firing offense.  If anything it is an opportunity for GLAAD to reach out, but instead, they focused on taking him out.  Sad, really.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from undermyskin. Show undermyskin's posts

Thanks for replying RRF. I have been trying to post under old names no luck.

See what happens , but i'm a conservative , here in MA.

Ducks will get in a row and make a Fortune, like Palin.

Free Speech is just that. If He had said that quote on the show , They would have edited it.

The Ducks have offers waiting but the ducks will probably take them to court.

A&E new their life style.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

All I know is A&E and the Robertson's are laughing all the way to the bank. People all over the country are wringing their hands over this pretty much non-stop since it happened...meanwhile cha-ching for all involved with the show.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to twelve_angry_men's comment:

Robertson is just misunderstood .... he really 'loves' everyone.

In the speech, Robertson remarked "They (homosexuals) committed indecent acts with one another," and "they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion," adding "They're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant God haters. They are heartless. They are faithless. They are senseless. They are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil."

Why wouldn't the various groups representing gays take such statements as an invitation to open an honest dialogue .... come on, the guy meant it in the best way possible.

I understand that that is a bible passage, not a Phil quote.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Women with women. Men with men. They committed indecent acts with one another, and they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversions. They're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant God haters. They are heartless. They are faithless. They are senseless. They are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil. That's what you have 235 years, roughly, after your forefathers founded the country. So what are you gonna do, Pennsylvania? Just run with them? You're going to die. Don't forget that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/noah-michelson/phil-robertson-homophobia_b_4479441.html

But that was 2010, not what he was fired for.

It still casts doubt on the family's defense of the man's character:"We want you to know that first and foremost we are a family rooted in our faith in God and our belief that the Bible is His word. While some of Phil's unfiltered comments to the reporter were coarse, his beliefs are grounded in the teachings of the Bible. Phil is a Godly man who follows what the Bible says are the greatest commandments: "Love the Lord your God with all your heart" and "Love your neighbor as yourself." Phil would never incite or encourage hate. We are disappointed that Phil has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right."

Most of what he said was a bible quote, surrounded by his teaching.  I don't think we want to go down the road of firing people for teaching religion, do we?

Sections
Shortcuts