Humble Obamas Protecting our Tax Dollars

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

Humble Obamas Protecting our Tax Dollars

Book: White House Hosted 'Wonderland'-Themed Extravagant Hollywood Halloween Bash Before Burton Film Release

Published January 08, 2012

| FoxNews.com

The White House is pushing back against claims from a new tell-all book that staff kept an extravagant, Hollywood-created Halloween Party under wraps due to fear it would create imaging problems.

White House spokesman Eric Schultz said Sunday the event, which was decorated by Tim Burton and featured Johnny Depp in his Mad Hatter role from Burton's acclaimed "Alice in Wonderland," was held for local children from the Washington D.C.-area and for hundreds of military families.

"If we wanted this event to be a secret, we probably wouldn't have invited the press corps to cover it, release photos of it to Flickr, or post a video from it on the White House website," Schultz says. "Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read in books these days."

In her new book, "The Obamas," author Jodi Kantor wrote that the White House was more than just a little concerned about the way the costume party would affect the public's perceptions.

"White House officials were so nervous about how a splashy, Hollywoodesque party would look to jobless Americans -- or their representatives in Congress, who would soon vote on health care -- that the event was not discussed publicly, and Burton and Depp's contributions went unacknowledged."

The event, so over the top that "Star Wars" creator George Lucas loaned out the original Chewbacca costume from the legendary film for an unknown participant to wear, was covered by a front event for the press in which the first couple handed out candy to trick or treaters. The president did not don a costume to that event, but first lady Michelle Obama wore a leopard-print sweater, cat ears and sparkly eye makeup.

Inside, at the invitation-only affair for children of military personnel and White House administrators, the State Dining Room served as Wonderland while Depp greeted guests from a table-top and Burton decorated the White House "in his signature creepy-comic style." 

According to the book, fruit punch was served in blood vials and a magic show was held for the kids in the East Room.

The book, out Tuesday, was picked up by Fox News. While Kantor interviewed 30 administration aides for the read, she hasn't interviewed the Obamas since 2009, and that, say aides, is problematic.

"The emotions, thoughts and private moments described in the book, though often seemingly ascribed to the president and first lady, reflect little more than the author's own thoughts. These second-hand accounts are staples of every administration in modern political history and often exaggerated," said White House spokesman Eric Schultz. 

But the author's narrative is revealing. She details several glimpses of the first couple's marriage, parenting and staffing issues, describing how Michelle Obama was conflicted about wanting to be part of the inner circle while also wanting to distance herself from the role of first lady.

According to the book, Michelle Obama also had an intense distrust of former Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, who has since become Chicago mayor. Emanuel and senior aide Valerie Jarrett also had some nasty spats after Emanuel tried to freeze her out because he saw her as a spy for the first lady.

"Michelle and Rahm Emanuel had almost no bond; their relationship was distant and awkward from the beginning," Kantor wrote. 

The book portrays Mrs. Obama wanting to influence West Wing policymaking, but Democrats friendly to the White House noted to Fox News that Kantor appeared to say the opposite during an interview with Chicago magazine. 

In an interview last week, Kantor said the first lady struggled with Hillary Clinton's legacy and never wanted to be seen as the kind of wife who was overly involved in the president's duties, hence she grappled over whether to have an office in the West Wing. 

Asked is she is an adviser to the president, Kantor told the magazine, "In the most private, intimate sense, not in the sense of 'I'm coming to your senior staff meeting.'"

On Sunday, Obama adviser David Axelrod, who is working on the president's reelection from the campaign's Chicago headquarters, said that the first lady is a sensational person and she will be on the election trail. 

Earlier, Axelrod said Michelle Obama does make a point "when she thinks things have been mishandled or when things are off the track ... she'll raise it, because she's hugely invested in him."

But White House aides did find themselves in the middle of the Obama marriage, Kantor wrote.

“The advisers could feel hopelessly caught between husband and wife. The Obama marriage was awkward for everyone: for the aides, for the president ... and for the first lady."

And how many millions did this party without a reason cost? Does give a glimpse into their egos. While not a political fund raiser.. I'll bet 95% of invitees were from the far left.
    HE might be setting up his contacts for forth coming job change this year.
    HE CAN ACT.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

Re: Humble Obamas Protecting our Tax Dollars

Were you invited to the above?
    Did you go as Jimmah Cartah ?

Happy Monday

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

The problem isn't the White House throwing a party. The problem is that they knew it was a bad idea, did it anyway, and then kept it secret. That is who is running the country folks.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

The problem is that they knew it was a bad idea, did it anyway...HCR

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

The unstated question is.. In these dire economic times, should Obama be throwing extravagant partys? Is that the example to LEAD the country by?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

So much for focusing on the "issues"...

...and typical of the right-wing's current unserious attitude toward governance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

This is such a non-issue it isn't funny!
    Among those invited were military families! Anything for them! I thought it was great to have that type of Hollywood setup.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brat13. Show brat13's posts

BTW - My bigger issue is what they passed out to Trick-or-Treaters...

Trick-or-treaters will receive specially prepared treats that include a box of White House M&Ms, a White House sweet dough butter cookie baked by the White House Pastry Chef, and a serving of dried fruit.

M&M's and cookies? Woo Hoo! Dried fruit? Egg the house! I wonder if the Secret Service would be OK with that time honored tradition?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I think its pretty cool that the White House put together an event that will probably be etched into the memory of the children that attended, especially because so many of the kids were from military families.  Its no secret that military pay won't make a soldier rich and given that many military families actually qualify for additional government benefits (food stamps, etc) this type of event is well beyond the reach of families coping with a missing a bread winner.  This is a very cool thing and I don't have a problem with it. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Reflectively...

...has there been another administration in recent memory more willing and gracious to open up the white house to events like these for the benefit of americans - especially children - from all walks and corners of american life...?

Politics aside, I agree with damain that these things are pretty darn cool.  I know a few adults who would drool over seeing the original chewbacca costume...not to mention a few ladies who would love to meet Johnny Depp.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: Humble Obamas Protecting our Tax Dollars:
    [QUOTE]I think its pretty cool that the White House put together an event that will probably be etched into the memory of the children that attended, especially because so many of the kids were from military families.  Its no secret that military pay won't make a soldier rich and given that many military families actually qualify for additional government benefits (food stamps, etc) this type of event is well beyond the reach of families coping with a missing a bread winner.  This is a very cool thing and I don't have a problem with it. 
    Posted by DamainAllen[/QUOTE]

If it is so cool, why don't you and your buddies cough up the money, instead of saddling the taxpayer?

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Humble Obamas Protecting our Tax Dollars : First of all, it was open to the families of service members and the public. That is by definition, a public service. Second, not all goods and services produced by the gov't are for the benefit of the population at large. Targeted programs target specific people. In this case children. Finally, do you know the cost and how it was paid for? Ya, didn't think so but that doesn't stop you from spouting on about something you haven't a clue about.
    Posted by airborne-rgr[/QUOTE]

You got to be kidding.  an unannounced part is open to the public?

A Halloween party is a public service?

So, now, the government needs to fund and direct our social activities?

You are right, I do not know how it was paid for, neither do you.  Though, I know this: If it was paid for by private or donated funds, Obama would have had it on the front page of every newspaper as an example of his compassion and inclusiveness.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Humble Obamas Protecting our Tax Dollars : Why don't you go live in North Korea. I hear the government couldn't be bribed to give a sh*t about you over there. But, I tend to think every American owes a debt to servicemen and servicewomen, as well as their families. They went so that we - or our children as the case may be - wouldn't have to.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Funny, for all the talk of it being an event for the military, don't seem to see any pictures of the military art the event.  are you and Obama using the military to cover over a huge, wasted extravagance?

To the rest of your comments:  You are a sad, sick person.  I will pray for you.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Humble Obamas Protecting our Tax Dollars : Dude, seriously, you are a utter moron incapable of any intellectual thought lest it interfere with your all-consuming hate. Hey numbnuts, explain to me how it was 'unannounced' yet the press pool was available to report on it? Explain how it was a 'secret' yet photos were posted all over the web including the WH website? Just because you're so out of touch with reality, nevermind current events, and are too dang stupid to realize that just because you didn't hear about means that it was 'secret'. Your ignorance is absolutely astounding. Yes, a Halloween party is a public service just as the Christmas party thrown by the WH or the Easter egg roll. If Obama had not held those events celebrating your Christian faith, poltroons like you would be howling: A) See I told you he was a Muslim B) Obama is declaring war on religion C) Obama is a dictator because he won't open the WH. It's the peoples' WH... Another point numbnuts, I don't know how it was funded, which is the reason I don't make wild-eyed accusations like idiots such as yourself. It only proves that you're not interested in facts only in making up crazy accusations based on nothing but your inbreeding IQ. Geepers, you really haven't a freakin clue.

You meandered around every subject possible, yet miss the point right in front of you.  Lacking proof, I only can assume that Obama is throwing the military under the bus.  It just doesn't make sense that a weak president wouldn't take every opportunity possible to show his support for the military.  The conclusion I draw is that this is yet another extravagance by the Excellency.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Humble Obamas Protecting our Tax Dollars : Hey moron, it was a costume party. Not much of a costume if people show up in their work clothes. Seriously, just give up. You're only making yourself look like an unhinged crumudgeon.

Right.  So, where is the corroborating evidence that this was a "military event"?  there isn't any.  You are too stupid to even ask the question.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see the evidence to back up the assertion.

Hey, when you were in the military ( you weren't, but play along) how many White House events did you attend?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

[QUOTE]If this were Bush (take your pick) giving this party I can just imagine the invectives being hurled by the likes of Matty, Damain, Airhead-rgr and WDYWN. But since it is Obama we get the BS about how this is a public service along with all of the other horse shiite excuses?? Forking amazing hypocrisy.
    Posted by Newtster[/QUOTE]

You have no idea what I might have said, if the situation you created out of thin air actually happened.  And I have no issue with this event because it was for military families, who ironically enough, are some of the most vulnerable in this country due to stresses of military life on the family unit.  Giving those kids something special, something they are likely never to experience again, is a good thing.  They deserve something for the sacrifices their parents make to serve this country and maybe it wasn't the most politically expedient thing to do, but lets stop pretending that this is some issue of significance.  It isn't. 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Humble Obamas Protecting our Tax Dollars : Ya see moron, that's your freakin problem, you're an idiot incapable of logical thought. Only a complete and utter moron would make sweeping accusations even though they admit, in their own freakin post, that they have absolutely no evidence. I'm done with pathetic bigots like you. Your blind devotion to a religious dogma leads you to believe that your ignorant opinions and prejudice of others is somehow acceptable because you convince yourself, and only yourself, that you have the moral high ground only for the fact that you attend some building where they read to you from a 2000yr old book, like a child in kindergarten. Newsflash loser, only ignorant and bigotted people would make such assumptions as you do without a shred of evidence, whether it be homosexuals or people you disagree with. Which one are you? Because you are most definitely not a true Christian but an imposter trying to lie your way to a better afterlife.

Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, supposed organizers of the party, don't appear in White House logs.  How much faith should I put in the comment that it was for the military and their families, when the organizers of the party are not even logged?

Obama has a data credibility problem.