Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

I believe that God created the universe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 12-Angry-Men. Show 12-Angry-Men's posts

Re: I believe that God created the universe

(edit)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

The amount of republicans that seriously want to "teach creationism" is far less than the amount of democrats willing to vote for something as heinous as "partial birth" abortion (such as the POTUS but republicans are the extremists, right?) Just continue to ignore the massive failures of the democrats in the things that really matter to our country like jobs, the economy, foreign affairs, and honesty in government and focus on the 2% of people that self identify as republicans that want creationism taught in schools. That might be good politics but its a lousy way to run a country.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 12-Angry-Men. Show 12-Angry-Men's posts

Heh, heh, heh...you're a funny guy butler. Empty rhetoric for empty heads.

Partial birth abortions were federally banned in 2003 on a bi-partisan vote.

It's hilarious how your ideological ignorance twists your recollection of even recent history.

Hmmmm......

Who was PotUS when the economy came crashing down and who stated that he was "abandoning free market principals"?

Which party held the majority in Congress for the 16 yrs leading up to the latest economic catastrophe?

By contrast, which party held the majority that ended the recession?

Who said "deficits don't matter"?

Which party took 4 yrs of budget surpluses and turned them into record deficits?

Which party turned around a jobs market that was losing over 800,000 jobs per month and now is creating jobs at 150,000/month?

Which party held a majority in all the elected branches when the worst security failure in US history resulted in the deaths of 3000 innocent civilians?

Which PotUS tracked down and killed the person responsible for that attack? 

Which PotUS used cherry-picked intel to deceive the public and convince the Legislature to send the country into a clusterfvck-of-a-war that was Iraq? (Funny how that massive intel manipulation is never mentioned when the wingnuts babble on with their Benghazi conspiracy theories)

Which PotUS was able to get the country mired in not just one, but two of the longest, ill-defined and poorly prosecuted wars in it's history?

I could go on and on but you've convinced me that your ideological ignorance prevents you from acknowledging anything resembling reality.

The relentless persuit of self-delusion by the whacko wingnuts is quite amazing. Most recently it's been proven beyond any reasonable doubt by the latest election.

Wingnuts clung to their skewed polls and patronizing pundits, ignoring overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that Mittens would win in a landslide.

Even with the reality of the election results slapping their collective heads around like bobble-head dolls, the wingnuts insist on doubling down on igorance and self-delusion. Amazing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

The amount of republicans that seriously want to "teach creationism" is far less than the amount of democrats willing to vote for something as heinous as "partial birth" abortion (such as the POTUS but republicans are the extremists, right?) Just continue to ignore the massive failures of the democrats in the things that really matter to our country like jobs, the economy, foreign affairs, and honesty in government and focus on the 2% of people that self identify as republicans that want creationism taught in schools. That might be good politics but its a lousy way to run a country.

Apparently you totally ignore the last Republican to be in charge of the country in regard to these very issues.  And you still have the creationism/intelligent design issue to boot something Bush thought should be "part of the debate" in science class.  But we can't talk about Bush because... he was so very recent...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Apparently you totally ignore the last Republican to be in charge of the country in regard to these very issues.  And you still have the creationism/intelligent design issue to boot something Bush thought should be "part of the debate" in science class.  But we can't talk about Bush because... he was so very recent...

Sure Reubin, lets have that discussion. We're not saying leave the Bush years out of it, we're just saying stop blaiming him for current failures. We're not the ones evading the real issues in favor of these BS culture issues, you are.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMeffa. Show GreginMeffa's posts

You get a year, MAYBE two to blame the previous admin.  Not 8, and thats exactly what the dems will be doing in 2016.

THAT is a gimme

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 12-Angry-Men. Show 12-Angry-Men's posts

Ya, funny how the Iraq clusterfvck that baby-Bush and the neo-con's started lasted 8+ years with obscene costs in blood and treasure. The Afghanistan war still reminds us every day of how incompetent the wingnuts are in foreign policy. What's a few trillion dollars of debt and the loss of 7000 American lives to the wingnuts, especially when they try and blames others for the fiascoes.

And of course there's the unfunded Medicare Part D, the 'gift' that keeps on giving, which the wingnuts used to bribe seniors for their votes. Another trillion dollar kiss-on-the-buttocks from the born again fiscal hawks.

My favorite is the baby-Bush parting line; "I have to abandon free market principals to save the free market." Because everyone knows that the wingnuts have a better way to encourage free enterprise, destroy it and then pay trillions to fix it.

Add to that the swing from budget surpluses to budget deficits in the first budget the wingnuts passed and there's no wonder why they want to restart the clock on Jan 20, 2009.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Sure Reubin, lets have that discussion. We're not saying leave the Bush years out of it, we're just saying stop blaiming him for current failures. We're not the ones evading the real issues in favor of these BS culture issues, you are.

But Bush's failures were so darn big... and the G.O.P. seems inclined to repeat them.  That is a real issue that qwont go away amd shouldn't.  Aftre all, we just had an election on the issue and you guys lost.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMeffa. Show GreginMeffa's posts

In response to Reubenhop's comment:

But Bush's failures were so darn big... and the G.O.P. seems inclined to repeat them.  That is a real issue that qwont go away amd shouldn't.  Aftre all, we just had an election on the issue and you guys lost.

And the guy who won has done more to extend and expand Bush policies than Bush did.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[/QUOTE]

And the guy who won has done more to extend and expand Bush policies than Bush did.

[/QUOTE]

Hardly.  You love to cherry pick facts to create a false sense of equivalency.  Obama has not engaged in wars with shoddy intelligence and that not paid for them.  He has not embraced deregulation and trickle down economics. He has not sought to gut basic entitlement programs.  He has not advocated teaching mythology in science classes.  Those are biggies.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to AlleyCatBruin's comment:

"What I've said to them is that I believe that God created the universe and that the six days in the Bible may not be six days as we understand it … it may not be 24-hour days, and that's what I believe. I know there's always a debate between those who read the Bible literally and those who don't, and I think it's a legitimate debate within the Christian community of which I'm a part. My belief is that the story that the Bible tells about God creating this magnificent Earth on which we live—that is essentially true, that is fundamentally true. Now, whether it happened exactly as we might understand it reading the text of the Bible: That, I don't presume to know."

Barack Obama, April 13, 2008

The Rolling Stones created the Universe!

Amen to that brother!

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMeffa. Show GreginMeffa's posts

In response to AlleyCatBruin's comment:

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

And you still compain about him. Bush was the worst president ever.

I don't complain about Obama embracing Bush policy.

Given that last sentence, you better start, lest, well, you know . . .

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In response to NO MO O's comment:

Hardly.  You love to cherry pick facts to create a false sense of equivalency.  Obama has not engaged in wars with shoddy intelligence and that not paid for them.  He has not embraced deregulation and trickle down economics. He has not sought to gut basic entitlement programs.  He has not advocated teaching mythology in science classes.  Those are biggies.

Mythology ?

I guess you said it all.

Yes, mythology.  Creation myths have no place in science class.  We separate church and state in this country.  Get used to it or move to Iran.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[/QUOTE]

Yes, mythology.  Creation myths have no place in science class.  We separate church and state in this country.  Get used to it or move to Iran.

[/QUOTE]

But your friends in Iran have religion too.

I know many agnostics but have met few people so against religion as you.

One country under God....

MYTHOLOGY !! You take the cake.

[/QUOTE]

I have no friends in Iran but given your attitudes you would fit right in.  I am not against religion, actually I find the many belief systems quite interesting.  But presenting one of these as the "truth" is pretty foolish.   Believe what you want.  Just keep it out of the government and especially schools.  And yes it is all mostly mythology.  There are often truths within the myth, but people like you think the myth itself is true and that is irrational folly.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from GreginMeffa. Show GreginMeffa's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to 12-Angry-Men's comment:

WDYWN makes perfectly clear that he recognizes others beliefs but those fantasies shouldn't be taught in school, they should remain in their respective houses of worship.

Right.

I think it's a silly fantasy, and a poor reflection on the most self-conscious creature yet to evolve (as far as we can measure), that billions of us still think an invisible man for which there is absolutely zero evidence of existence created the universe.

Especially when the laws of physics this invisible man supposedly created mean that it makes zero logical sense to use a temporal term like "created" to describe the universe, given that the theory is that all matter and energy existed at a mathematical point. Which means that time did not exist at the Big Bang, and therefore, it is a logical fallacy to say anything created the universe - no how much our termporally-enslaved minds cry out that it does make sense.

Nothing created the universe. The universe is. That's about the only way to put it in a language other than mathematics.

Now if people still wanted to talk about a God and  a created universe, I respect that. As long as they are willing to respect my right to explain why they're wrong and/or ridicule them for it.

Thank you for honoring me with another wannabe zing thread that entirely misses the point of what I was saying, StalkingButler.

You'll make a good Greg disciple.

CABBAGE!

Always feeling zinged.  Your very special term just for you.  Therapy works.  Good luck and God's speed.

Credo in unum Deum, Patrem omnipoténtem, factorem cæli et terræ, visibílium ómnium et invisibílium.

Et in unum Dóminum Iesum Christum, Fílium Dei unigénitum, et ex Patre natum, ante ómnia sæcula. Deum de Deo, lumen de lúmine, Deum verum de Deo vero, génitum, non factum, consubstantiálem Patri: per quem ómnia facta sunt. Qui propter nos hómines et propter nostram salútem descéndit de cælis. Et incarnátus est de Spíritu Sancto ex María Vírgine, et hom0 factus est. Crucifíxus étiam pro nobis sub Póntio Piláto; passus et sepúltus est, et resurréxit tértia die, secúndum Scriptúras, et ascéndit in cælum, sedet ad déxteram Patris. Et íterum ventúrus est cuum glória, iudicáre vivos et mórtuos, cuius regni non erit finis.
    Et in Spíritum Sanctum, Dóminum et vivificántem: qui ex Patre Filióque procédit. Qui cuum Patre et Fílio simul adorátur, et conglorificátur: qui locútus est per Prophétas.
    Et unam, sanctam, cathólicam et apostólicam Ecclésiam.
    Confíteor unum baptísma in remissiónem peccatorum. Et expecto resurrectionem mortuorum, et vitam ventúri sæculi. Amen.

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 12-Angry-Men. Show 12-Angry-Men's posts

It's the Wizards!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95ehUqpwrnU&feature=related

In response to 12-Angry-Men's comment:

I remember being quite disappointed when I found out they weren't Russians

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 12-Angry-Men. Show 12-Angry-Men's posts

Lets just ignore that this country was founded on it. Time have changed and many men think they have all the answers. Faith does not come in a 'Made in the USA' package.. it lies within. If religion was scientifically proveable.. there would be no need for faith.

Nothing like rewriting history to fit with your ideology.

Apparently writing into law the seperation of church and state just isn't explicit enough for the wingnuts.

Or barring religious tests for public office isn't quite secular enough.

And then there's the fact that no mention of god appears on the official seal of the US.

But ya, those few words on the currency sure are a convincing argument.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

But your friends in Iran have religion too.

I know many agnostics but have met few people so against religion as you.

One country under God....

MYTHOLOGY !! You take the cake.

I have no friends in Iran but given your attitudes you would fit right in.  I am not against religion, actually I find the many belief systems quite interesting.  But presenting one of these as the "truth" is pretty foolish.   Believe what you want.  Just keep it out of the government and especially schools.  And yes it is all mostly mythology.  There are often truths within the myth, but people like you think the myth itself is true and that is irrational folly.

• Lets just ignore that this country was founded on it.

Time have changed and many men think they have all the answers.

Faith does not come in a 'Made in the USA' package.. it lies within.

If religion was scientifically proveable.. there would be no need for faith.

As if Religious views haven't changed over time. 

Wasn't it the Vatican's position that the Earth was at the center of the Universe and everything revolved arount it?  If they were wrong about this, then doesn't that bring into question EVERYTHING?

Wasn't it (and isn't still) the position of the Vatican that ordinary people could pray to God?  Weren't they against the Bible being widely dispersed so that people could read it for themselves?

Not to beat up on Catholicism - they were on the only Christian faith way back.  But the point is, if Religious leaders were wrong about the Earth being the center of the Universe, why should their word about anything else be taken on "faith"?

Kings were ordained by the church and they told the people that the kings were basically chosen by God.

If they were wrong back then, why should they be trusted today?

Religion isn't a book.  Men are the religion.  Some men use books to teach and some use books to oppress.  Educate me and let me make my own choices.  Give me the freedom to make my own choices - the same freedom God gave me.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lets just ignore that this country was founded on it.

[/QUOTE]

You don't know your history much either.  No big surprise.  America was founded in Jamestown as a business proposition.  A corporation financed a colony to make a profit from it.  Massachusetts certainly had its religious believers, but they had more and more people just eager to have a better life.  Religion faded as a dominant theme there especially when the believers' innate intolerance proved a hindrance rather than an asset in the development of the colony.  Business interests would come to dominate there too. Religious conflict in history and the diversity of faiths in America was the background for why we separate church and state.  Read a book or two or three. You might earn something.

Lets just ignore that this country was founded on it.

• You don't know your history much either.  No big surprise.  America was founded in Jamestown as a business proposition.  A corporation financed a colony to make a profit from it.  Massachusetts certainly had its religious believers, but they had more and more people just eager to have a better life.  Religion faded as a dominant theme there especially when the believers' innate intolerance proved a hindrance rather than an asset in the development of the colony.  Business interests would come to dominate there too. Religious conflict in history and the diversity of faiths in America was the background for why we separate church and state.  Read a book or two or three. You might earn something.

Also learn something...

Sections
    Shortcuts