I da Bama pays for abortions.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsATravesty. Show ItsATravesty's posts

I da Bama pays for abortions.

The Obama administration is offering incentives to Kenya to approve a controversial new constitution that would legalize abortion for the first time, promising that passage will "allow money to flow" into the nation's coffers, including U.S. aid.

But there's a hitch to that pledge. A federal law known as the Siljander Amendment passed in 2006 makes it illegal for the U.S. government to lobby on abortion in other countries -- and three U.S. lawmakers say they want a federal investigation into the promises made by the administration.

Kenya has long been ripe for a new constitution, one that will balance power in the country and prevent the kind of violent rioting that followed Kenya's 2007 presidential election.

The Obama administration has vocally expressed enthusiasm for the new constitution, which it says will provide for easier transition of power through more balanced branches of government.
    But according to anti-abortion groups in and outside of Kenya, the constitution will cause harm to the nation by overturning its ban on abortion.

Brief: The Obama administration will pay a foreign country to change it's constitution because IF that country allows abortions.

One could think of more important things to address on the global scale than rewarding countries to kill embryos.
    Can't get any more TRANSPARENT than that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lesvalseuses. Show lesvalseuses's posts

Re: I da Bama pays for abortions.

Get a grip.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatnow3. Show whatnow3's posts

Very interesting!

It just never stops.  When is he going to wake up and realize he is scaring the c r a p out of his constituents?

Everything he does defies logic. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfaulk. Show ccfaulk's posts

Kenya needs abortion law!  The poor of the poor without any access to prenatal or emergency care. Africa (all of it) needs to have the options to abortion. The decision to abort must be the hardest decision of a persons life. This decision is certain circumstances of sickness and rape and poverty is the absolute correct decision.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsATravesty. Show ItsATravesty's posts

In Response to Re: I da Bama pays for abortions.:
    Kenya needs abortion law!  The poor of the poor without any access to prenatal or emergency care. Africa (all of it) needs to have the options to abortion. The decision to abort must be the hardest decision of a persons life. This decision is certain circumstances of sickness and rape and poverty is the absolute correct decision.
    Posted by ccfaulk

Respectfully, Kenya needs to decide for itself its position on abortion and not be bribed by US taxpayer dollars.
    I ask, where's the line? Do we impose our (HIS.. Obamas) views on every country?
    Where's the UN? Why do WE have to pay for abortions in other countries?
    I did not address the abotion issue itself.
    What's next.. breast augmentation in Canada?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatnow3. Show whatnow3's posts

I do not think the United States should be (in effect) bribing countries to legalize abortion.

This is how we get ourselves in trouble.  A radical group in Kenya who opposes the abortion law could hold the United States responsible, and take actions on us.  Sound familiar?

Let them figure it out on their own.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

I think the overall question here is whether the complaining congresspeople are right: If Obama wants the U.S. to give money to Kenya in support of its passing a constitution, does the mere fact that the proposed constitution contains a provision allowing an exception for the life of the mother mean that the U.S. cannot give money to Kenya without "lobbying for abortion."

And, does the mere fact that the constitution refers to "reproductive rights' mean that the U.S. cannot give Kenya any money without lobbying for abortion?

Now expand the query: Does this mean that the U.S. cannot give aid to ANY country that already has abortion - because this would also be lobbying for abortion?  Or is it only when money is given to a country that might be thinking of amending its constitution?  What about its abortion laws? 

Would the intent of congress in passing the amendment really have been that whenever a foreign country has or might pass law allowing abortions, that country no longer gets aid? 

I have no prior experience with this source, but it seems unbiased enough to grab some background info:

http://confusedeagle.livejournal.com/13307.html

Now to the Main story:

There is a growing controversy regarding the Proposed Draft Constitution that will be voted on in Kenya. Some US Civil Society Groups have been funneling Money into the Campaign to Defeat this. However the Obama Administration has been supporting the effort to pass this and now there are allegations that the Administration is violating Federal Law.

Earlier this Month Three Members of Congress Chris Smith of CT, Daniel Issa of CA and Ilenia Ros-Leithen of FL sent letters to the General Accounting Office (GAO), The Inspector-General of the State Department and the US Agency for International Development (USAID) stating that the Administration was in violation of the Siljander Amendment.

Two Quick Questions:

First what are the main Issues with the Constitution?

The Main Concern is with Article 26. This section will allow for Abortions in which Medical Professionals feel that the life of the Mother is in Danger. This has been widely interpreted in many countries. Article 43 would create the right to Health Care Services including "Reproductive Health" This term is not defined in the Document but some advocates insinuate that it is a codeword for "Abortion Rights"

Another Provision that has some people concerned is that Islamic Courts will be allowed for specific instances in Northern Kenya.

Why Was the Letter Sent?

The reason why the Letter was sent was that in the Opinions of the Congressmen the Administration is in violation of the Siljander Amendment.  This is an Amendment that was sponsored back in 1984 by Michigan Congressman Mark D. Siljander. Congressman Siljander was a Moderate who was a Social Conservative. He would be indicted in 1998 for taking funds from an Islamic Charity in Missouri.

The Siljander Amendment states that any funds allocated under Foreign Aid Budgets May Not be used to Lobby For or Against Abortion. Penalties that can be imposed include Administrative Actions such as Suspension without Pay and removal from the job up to a $ 5000 fine and two years in Jail.

The Congressmen assert that any expression of support for or against ,providing technical advice or providing foreign assistance designed to influence public opinion "unavoidably involves lobbying for or against Abortion."

According to the Office of Congressman Smith the State Department has promised $2 Million to "build support" for the Constitution so that it passes. Several Faith Based Groups in the United States have been supporting efforts to defeat the Process in Kenya.

This can be seen as splitting hairs regarding Abortion or a cover for what some Members of Congress actually fear in Kenya which is the setting up of Islamic Courts.

The Congressmen are asking for a full and complete Audit of the funds being used to promote the Constitution of Kenya. The Confused Eagle will support them on this effort.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfaulk. Show ccfaulk's posts

I am not a supporter of the current administration. My views on this subject are based on the separation of church and state and the complete corruption in these African states. If we are giving money to a corrupt Govt then why not get something on the front end before it all dissapears on their end.

Sections
Shortcuts