I thought we were winding down our overseas military operations.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

I thought we were winding down our overseas military operations.

Why are we having militiary operations in two African countries over the weekend? Could it be a way to take citizens minds and ire off of the current DC standoff.  Could it be a wag the dog attempt to garner positive points for POTUS?  If we were in Libya over the weekend why didn't we take out the Benghazi mastermind who has given a number of interviews will sipping tea in a Tripoli restaurant? 

(CNN) -- (CNN) -- In two operations in Africa nearly 3,000 miles apart, U.S. military forces went after two high-value targets over the weekend.

One operation took place early Saturday in the Libyan capital of Tripoli, when members of the elite U.S. Army Delta Force captured Abu Anas al Libi, an al Qaeda operative wanted for his alleged role in the deadly 1998 bombings of two U.S. embassies in Africa.

In the second raid, a team of U.S. Navy SEALs in southern Somalia targeted a foreign fighter commander for Al-Shabaab, a terrorist group linked with al Qaeda, according to a senior Obama administration official.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Re: I thought we were winding down our overseas military operations.

I thought that we were not going to have "boots on the ground" in Libya?

I guess since they were Navy Seals they have flippers not boots

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

The Somalia raid was almost a complete disaster. Poor planning lead to the force running into more resistance than expected and having to call in helicopter support to get out guys out safely before they even reached their objective.

It seems the Libya op went pretty well. They got al shawhoever on the USS San Antonio for interrogations. I wonder how "harsh" interrogations will be and why they need to do it at sea in a "specially designed ship area"?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

The Somalia raid was almost a complete disaster. Poor planning lead to the force running into more resistance than expected and having to call in helicopter support to get out guys out safely before they even reached their objective.

It seems the Libya op went pretty well. They got al shawhoever on the USS San Antonio for interrogations. I wonder how "harsh" interrogations will be and why they need to do it at sea in a "specially designed ship area"?

Waterboarding is no longer an option.  Most likely keeling hauling.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Most likely keeling hauling.

24 straight hours of Obama speeches. That'll do it.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

How dare we capture people who attack us.

Good lord.

This thread took a SPECIAL level of hyperpartisanship.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:

Good lord.

Maybe at some point there is the rule of international law, we don't enter soverign countries to perfrom covert military ops without permission.  We send in special forces teams to any country we feel like and expect the world to say its OK; the US is a good international police organization, doing the policing that others wont.

Going into Libya for al Alibi is one thing although the interim government wasn't too happy, but why not go after the Benghazi terrorists?  Going into Somalia to go after the international pirates would be a good thing; but why are we going after Al Shabaab?  Are we just trying to give them another reason to go after US interests?  They went after a Kenyan Mall; let Kenya deal with it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Good lord.

For myself, I was not saying it was a bad thing to do, only that we were lied to by the turds in power that said no boots on the ground. One lie among 1000's I suppose is probably not worth pointing out. My bad.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Going into Libya for al Alibi is one thing although the interim government wasn't too happy, but why not go after the Benghazi terrorists?  Going into Somalia to go after the international pirates would be a good thing; but why are we going after Al Shabaab?  Are we just trying to give them another reason to go after US interests?  They went after a Kenyan Mall; let Kenya deal with it.

I have zero problems targeting terrorists wherever they may be. You do bring up a really good point about the Benghazi terrorists...

Also, these kind of operations seem to happen whenever Obama's polls take a dip. Just sayin.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:

Good lord.

Maybe at some point there is the rule of international law, we don't enter soverign countries to perfrom covert military ops without permission.  We send in special forces teams to any country we feel like and expect the world to say its OK; the US is a good international police organization, doing the policing that others wont.

If we went into Germany then I think may you would have a point, but I think that the whole "stay out of sovereign nations" thing might have a few attachments, ie, some semblance of a functioning government and one that doesn't harbor our enemies.

At anyway, let's not obscure the heart of my criticism with niceties. You cited two raids, one successful, to capture terrorists as a "gotcha" moment re: winding down overseas military operations. Which, further, refers to ending our involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan, not an emrace of isolationism or pacifism.

"Are we just trying to give them another reason to go after US interests?  "

You know you really should take 'moderate' out of your name if you're so committed that you will casually insinuate that maybe Obama is trying to get Americans killed on purpose in order to ______[insert truther theory]__________.

Come on now... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Good lord.

If we went into Germany then I think may you would have a point, but I think that the whole "stay out of sovereign nations" thing might have a few attachments, ie, some semblance of a functioning government and one that doesn't harbor our enemies.

At anyway, let's not obscure the heart of my criticism with niceties. You cited two raids, one successful, to capture terrorists as a "gotcha" moment re: winding down overseas military operations. Which, further, refers to ending our involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan, not an emrace of isolationism or pacifism.

"Are we just trying to give them another reason to go after US interests?  "

You know you really should take 'moderate' out of your name if you're so committed that you will casually insinuate that maybe Obama is trying to get Americans killed on purpose in order to ______[insert truther theory]__________.

Come on now... 

I've had enough of our Middle East and associated forays under the guise of terrorism.  The world hates us for indescriminate use of drones; but I don't think we win any points but sending in special forces.  

I'm really not sure what our Al Shabaab motive was.

...and yes the Libertarian view that we don't belong over there is making more sense to me.  Vested interest Somalia pirates.  Going after all the other terrorists; we're not the world's anti-terrorist force.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Now that's it's Obama, not Bush, fighting the "War on Terror", ....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Bush went to Afghanistan will full country support,

Went to Iraq with mixed support for muddled reasons and destabilized a relatively westernized country, we broke it.

Since then Obama coninues to enter other countries whether we're invited or not.

Obama was supposed to wind down our foreign involvement not expand it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Since congress has abdicated their duties doesn't mean other govt officials don't have work to do and are out there getting it done.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

Went to Iraq with mixed support for muddled reasons and destabilized a relatively westernized country, we broke it.

Since then Obama coninues to enter other countries whether we're invited or not.

Obama was supposed to wind down our foreign involvement not expand it.

Heh, heh, heh.... I didn't realize the US needed an "invite" before capturing or killing the terrorists that have or are actively planning attacks on us.

Yep, makes sense... "Leave those poor terrorists alone."  Hilarious!!!

Sheeesh, I didn't realize that WDYWN would've been proven so accuarte in so few posts.

Funny, how the left embraces Obama out Bushing Bush on the Bush Doctrine.

You vote in the guy to scale back our war footprint but idolize our drone President ever expanding our war footprint.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

And mine.

Based on false intelligence which, even if true, would not have posed a national security threat to the United States. To the Kurds, maybe. Not us.

But yeah, then complete disaster ensued.

Since then Obama coninues to enter other countries whether we're invited or not. Obama was supposed to wind down our foreign involvement not expand it.

So again, even if people are still plotting attacks against us we're supposed to not do anything....because Obama campaigned on getting out of Iraq and Afghanistan?

This is absurd.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

See, I never objected to catching these people. Or blowing the flaming _____ out of them with a missile, bomb, or drone.

What I objected to was lifelong detention (with torture for some and varying degrees of physical/mental harassment for others) without proof or trial at which the proof might be presented for confrontation.

You know...sort of like how it's fine to shoot the German in the foxhole, but if you capture him you can't pull out his fingernails and throw him in a basement for the next 100 years... 

It was supposed to be a simple position but hey...people seem to have trouble with it

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Good lord.

How about going into Syria for ISIS?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Good lord.

How about going into Syria for ISIS?

I'm very concerned that this is going to grow and grow, but we'll fight it like Vietnam; fight but no plan to win.

The air war is a good solution, and ISIS is giving the west a morale high road to go after then by their acts of genocide and the taunting beheadings of journalists, relief workers and tourists.

So are we ready to have a discussion about taking ISIS out quicker with really big bombs like we did to end WWII in Japan.

...the man who really counts in the world is the doer,...  TR 1891

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Joe, I don't think you were in the other thread, but the reason I dug it up along with other threads was to demonstrate with evidence that none of the people who here snickered at Obama/Biden for "allowing" ISIS to happen were talking about the danger in 2012 or 2013. It was unforeseeable. Nobody foreseaw it.

As for what we do now? I don't think anyone is going to be firing off any nukes. You don't fight an evil terrorist group by nuking all the civilians around them.

Japan is nowhere near the appropriate analogy. That was a US President putting 3-10 million US servicemen lives over a couple hundred thousand Japans civilian lives. Regardless of what one thinks of the morality of the decision, it doesn't apply here.

I doubt we'll do it with air strikes alone. Obama will probably get us stuck in Iraq, again, at tremendous cost, for a long time......if he seriously goes after ISIS.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Since congress has abdicated their duties doesn't mean other govt officials don't have work to do and are out there getting it done.

Huh? Care to explain?

i think that comment I is far of  the main i as too eye need to be labelled "ignorant".

Sections
Shortcuts