Idaho Science Teacher Investigated For Teaching Science

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Idaho Science Teacher Investigated For Teaching Science

On the heels of the 'paper of god' kerfuffle in another thread, comes this example from the another sphere of seemingly holding teachers accountable for trying to teach:

A 10th grade science teacher in Idaho is being investigated by his school after parents complained that he included the word “vagina” in his lessons, taught the class about the female orga*m, and showed Al Gore’s “An Inconvenient Truth.”

Some of the allegations are more serious, including that “he shared confidential student files with an individual other than their parents,” and “told inappropriate jokes in class,” but science teacher Tim McDaniel suspects that the complaints originated because of his discussions about issues considered controversial in the largely Mormon community where he teaches:

“I teach straight out of the textbook, I don’t include anything that the textbook doesn’t mention,” McDaniel said. “But I give every student the option not attend this class when I teach on the reproductive system if they don’t feel comfortable with the material.

The science teacher said he has taught Dietrich’s science classes for the past 18 years without receiving a complaint from parents or students.

According to McDaniel, the commission is also investigating a complaint that accuses him of using school property to promote a political candidate. The complaint was because he showed the climate change film “An Inconvenient Truth,” also in his science class.

McDaniel said he includes the film to spark a discussion on climate change among the students. After watching the film, he asks students to write a response paper explaining their thoughts on climate change.

Idaho is a state that has no requirement for sex education and no mandated HIV education. It does have a requirement that students be allowed to opt out of sex ed classes, to which McDaniel says he adhered.

Obviously, these are very different scenarios.  But both show examples of trying to micro-manage teachers to the point of ineffectiveness when the tender sensibilities of some feel threatened.

There's nothing wrong with grading teachers on performance, but most people are not teachers or education experts and thus should not presumptive toward how they conduct their lessons.

But there's also absolutely, uneqivocally NOTHING wrong with the words "vagina" or "orga(s)m" in the context of health or science...much less in the 10th grade. (Why it's absurdly banned here is anyone's guess.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Re: Idaho Science Teacher Investigated For Teaching Science

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

On the heels of the 'paper of god' kerfuffle in another thread, comes this example from the another sphere of seemingly holding teachers accountable for trying to teach:

A 10th grade science teacher in Idaho is being investigated by his school after parents complained that he included the word “vagina” in his lessons, taught the class about the female orga*m, and showed Al Gore’s “An Inconvenient Truth.”

Some of the allegations are more serious, including that “he shared confidential student files with an individual other than their parents,” and “told inappropriate jokes in class,” but science teacher Tim McDaniel suspects that the complaints originated because of his discussions about issues considered controversial in the largely Mormon community where he teaches:

“I teach straight out of the textbook, I don’t include anything that the textbook doesn’t mention,” McDaniel said. “But I give every student the option not attend this class when I teach on the reproductive system if they don’t feel comfortable with the material.

The science teacher said he has taught Dietrich’s science classes for the past 18 years without receiving a complaint from parents or students.

According to McDaniel, the commission is also investigating a complaint that accuses him of using school property to promote a political candidate. The complaint was because he showed the climate change film “An Inconvenient Truth,” also in his science class.

McDaniel said he includes the film to spark a discussion on climate change among the students. After watching the film, he asks students to write a response paper explaining their thoughts on climate change.

Idaho is a state that has no requirement for sex education and no mandated HIV education. It does have a requirement that students be allowed to opt out of sex ed classes, to which McDaniel says he adhered.

Obviously, these are very different scenarios.  But both show examples of trying to micro-manage teachers to the point of ineffectiveness when the tender sensibilities of some feel threatened.

There's nothing wrong with grading teachers on performance, but most people are not teachers or education experts and thus should not presumptive toward how they conduct their lessons.

But there's also absolutely, uneqivocally NOTHING wrong with the words "vagina" or "orga(s)m" in the context of health or science...much less in the 10th grade. (Why it's absurdly banned here is anyone's guess.)

The ludicrous thing is that by 10th grade..they all know what both those things are. We are the only modern country in the world that continues with these puritan beliefs about human sexuality.

As far as the other allegations..yes. I agree they seem much more serious and should be investigated..but we've got to get over our fear of science in general.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

science teacher Tim McDaniel suspects that the complaints originated because of his discussions about issues considered controversial in the largely Mormon community where he teaches:

It's not that I don't agree with you, I do... completely. Science is science and should be taught without filters.

I'm just wondering if liberals have completely abandoned the concept of being "sensitive" to the sensibilities of a minority culture? Is that true or is it the fact that these are white christians making the complaint that makes their concerns invalid? Just wondering.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

What should he call it, a hoohoo?  A pookie?

The only problem I have with the Gore flick is it will bore them to sleep.

Well, I have a BIG problem with the Gore flic.  It is teaching religion in the school.  It certainly isn't science.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

This might actually be the dumbest thing I have ever read congrats skeeter

Well, I have a BIG problem with the Gore flic.  It is teaching religion in the school.  It certainly isn't science.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Teachers need to be cognizant of community standards; if you want to push the envelop you eventually will get burned.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

"And then she said, 'I wouldn't have gone to college if it weren't for my horse.'" - Lewis Black

Best reference on BDC for quite some time! You made my day!

I find Lewis black not funny.  His son, however, is a hoot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Lewis Black is a riot. Just sayin.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:

Teachers need to be cognizant of community standards

Not if you want the country to succeed.

If a community's standard is to disregard science, schools in that community following your suggestion would produce only backwards rubes, fitted solely for unskilled labor.

Matty posted about a 10th grade health class. In a couple years, most of its students will be able to die for this country. I think they can handle a medical term for a part of the human body. Any Victorians who disagree should be ignored, ridiculed even.

How is not playing "an inconvient truth" disregarding science?  Wouldn't the contents of the movie have to actually be science?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

"And then she said, 'I wouldn't have gone to college if it weren't for my horse.'" - Lewis Black

Best reference on BDC for quite some time! You made my day!

I find Lewis black not funny.  His son, however, is a hoot.

Lewis Black has a son..?? Did this happen recently? Does he know this?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:

Teachers need to be cognizant of community standards

Not if you want the country to succeed.

If a community's standard is to disregard science, schools in that community following your suggestion would produce only backwards rubes, fitted solely for unskilled labor.

Matty posted about a 10th grade health class. In a couple years, most of its students will be able to die for this country. I think they can handle a medical term for a part of the human body. Any Victorians who disagree should be ignored, ridiculed even.

How is not playing "an inconvient truth" disregarding science?  Wouldn't the contents of the movie have to actually be science?

I think it depends on the context in which he was showing it. That hasn't been discussed yet. If he was showing it in the context of an example of something that is not "good science" then it would be appropriate. In a classroom setting teachers often ( and should) present a variety of examples relating to a topic to demonstrate how to tell if something is valid...or not

15. This post has been removed.