Illegals Medical Bills top $35.7M

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

Illegals Medical Bills top $35.7M

So I heard this story on the radio this morning before work. I decided to read the story and went onto boston.com. Shockingly I couldn't find the story. How could that be? I thought, maybe the radio guys made it up. Boy don't I feel duped. Then I thought, wait....let me check one other news source. So I decided to try the Herald. I had stopped reading the Herald (sports only) when my buddy who's a sports writer left for the globe. So low and behold after typing bostonherald.com there was the story.
    Anyway...in case anyone's interested...because let's face it who really reads the herald. Of course that shouldn't discount the validity of the story but somehow certain people will hold that to be true.
    Whatever....dispute the story with facts and we'll listen to you.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/politics/view/20101027illegals_medical_bills_top_357m_taxpayers_hit_hard_for_trips_to_er/srvc=home&position=0

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Illegals Medical Bills top $35.7M

So Hawk, if they hadn't had the state funded health insurance, what do you think their medical bills would have been?   Higher?  Lower?

How many illegals get the flu decide not to seek medical treatment because they don't have insurance coverage or are afraid they'll get deported, and instead, go to work, making more people sick who in turn seek medical treatment?

Or the pregnant illegal who is having issues but decides not to seek medical attention but then has the baby prematurely - a situation that could have been prevented if she had sought treatment earlier.  But because she didn't seek treatment, the state is left footing the bill for a baby in extended neo natal ICU.

Or the illegal with bronchitis that doesn't go to the doctor but then develops pnuemonia, passes out and is hauled to the emergency room in an ambulance.

Or maybe the illegal worked in the kitchen of your favorite restuarant and had an untreated illness - hepatitis anyone?

Too bad the person they were working for didn't offer them health insurance.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

In Response to Re: Illegals Medical Bills top $35.7M:
    [QUOTE]So Hawk, if they hadn't had the state funded health insurance, what do you think their medical bills would have been?   Higher?  Lower? How many illegals get the flu decide not to seek medical treatment because they don't have insurance coverage or are afraid they'll get deported, and instead, go to work, making more people sick who in turn seek medical treatment? Or the pregnant illegal who is having issues but decides not to seek medical attention but then has the baby prematurely - a situation that could have been prevented if she had sought treatment earlier.  But because she didn't seek treatment, the state is left footing the bill for a baby in extended neo natal ICU. Or the illegal with bronchitis that doesn't go to the doctor but then develops pnuemonia, passes out and is hauled to the emergency room in an ambulance. Or maybe the illegal worked in the kitchen of your favorite restuarant and had an untreated illness - hepatitis anyone? Too bad the person they were working for didn't offer them health insurance.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

I dunno...how about deporting them?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Deportation is expensive too, and is the stupid way to tone down illegal immigration.  You have to arrest them, feed them, give them a place to sleep, transport them, etc. 

Then they can get right back in.  If there's a wall, they build a tunnel under or climb it.  If a river, they swim it.  If a desert, they walk it.

So while they could confirm undocumented status at hospitals, you'd be spending a lot of resources to arrest, jail, legally and they physically deport these people.  You'd also have hospital staff distracted from care-related efforts.

Strikes me as a massive waste of time; given its costs, deportation only really makes sense for people who have committed some crime.

The only way any progress will be made in immigration is to target employers meaningfully.  They will stop coming and will leave if they can't work. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Deportation isn't instantaneous and individuals have some options for petitioning to stay. 

But that is ignoring the relevant point, which is hospitals must treat a someone who comes in for an emergency visit as mandated by federal law.  Hospitals aren't in the business of conducting citizenship validation so the issue is moot once they arrive in an ER for treatment. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]Deportation is expensive too, and is the stupid way to tone down illegal immigration.  You have to arrest them, feed them, give them a place to sleep, transport them, etc.  Then they can get right back in.  If there's a wall, they build a tunnel under or climb it.  If a river, they swim it.  If a desert, they walk it. So while they could confirm undocumented status at hospitals, you'd be spending a lot of resources to arrest, jail, legally and they physically deport these people.  You'd also have hospital staff distracted from care-related efforts. Strikes me as a massive waste of time; given its costs, deportation only really makes sense for people who have committed some crime. The only way any progress will be made in immigration is to target employers meaningfully.  They will stop coming and will leave if they can't work. 
    Posted by WhatIsItNow[/QUOTE]

not as expensive as a school laid low by a tuberculosis outbreak.

Deportation is the only sensible thing to do.  good for them, good for us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RevWright. Show RevWright's posts

So instead of smply deporting someone who has no right being here (aka illegal) , our society should carry them and their children for generations for education, health care, welfare, housing, legal support, etc?

Shut them off of these lifetime freebies.. and they may well reconsider being here at all.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

"Deportation isn't instantaneous and individuals have some options for petitioning to stay."

That is the understatement of the century.... thanks to liberals, it is close to impossible to deport anyone other than a violent criminal.
    Kind of like how liberals built up an appeals process that made it impossible to use the death penalty and now argue... it is too expensive and complicated to use the death penalty..

Auntie Zenuti and thousands of others like her take their "option" and mooch off those who work permanently... 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

A guy is passed out on the street.  Do you confirm that he is in the country legally before calling an ambulance?  And if so, how do you do that?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

"Then they can get right back in.  If there's a wall, they build a tunnel under or climb it.  If a river, they swim it.  If a desert, they walk it."

That is BS. It is not impossible to seal a border. It can be done. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]So instead of smply deporting someone who has no right being here (aka illegal) , our society should carry them and their children for generations for education, health care, welfare, housing, legal support, etc? Shut them off of these lifetime freebies.. and they may well reconsider being here at all.
    Posted by RevWright[/QUOTE]

Glad the right has settled on theie Emanuel GOldstein for this election cycle. Immigration is down by a lot. Obama has ramped up deportation efforts. They screamed and yelled about immigrants in 04, then they shut the F up till Obama got elected. Illegal Immigrants are just a focal point for free floating anger.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]"Then they can get right back in.  If there's a wall, they build a tunnel under or climb it.  If a river, they swim it.  If a desert, they walk it." That is BS. It is not impossible to seal a border. It can be done. 
    Posted by BobinVa[/QUOTE]

True, Germany effectively sealed off east from west.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

[QUOTE]"Then they can get right back in.  If there's a wall, they build a tunnel under or climb it.  If a river, they swim it.  If a desert, they walk it." That is BS. It is not impossible to seal a border. It can be done. 

How do you deal with the ranches that border the Rio Grande and use the Rio Grande as a source of water for their cattle?  Or the farms whose land extends into Mexico.

How about we just go after the people who hire the illegals?  It's not like they'll stay if they don't have jobs.

Typical Republican solution - throw money at it instead of holding the people causing the problem accountable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

[QUOTE]A guy is passed out on the street.  Do you confirm that he is in the country legally before calling an ambulance?  And if so, how do you do that?
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Of course not. That isn't the issue though. Of course we have to treat people if they're in need. My issue is they shouldn't be here in the first place. And there is blame to go around to many different groups for that

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hawkeye01. Show hawkeye01's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Illegals Medical Bills top $35.7M : Glad the right has settled on theie Emanuel GOldstein for this election cycle. Immigration is down by a lot. Obama has ramped up deportation efforts. They screamed and yelled about immigrants in 04, then they shut the F up till Obama got elected. Illegal Immigrants are just a focal point for free floating anger.
    Posted by ForumCleaner[/QUOTE]

He obviously shouldn't be doing that since according to a couple of posters it's a waste of time and money.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Illegals Medical Bills top $35.7M : He obviously shouldn't be doing that since according to a couple of posters it's a waste of time and money.
    Posted by hawkeye01[/QUOTE]
    then why are repubs so adament about doing it?

oh right...money and time waster is no biggy when you get hand outs from the corporations that hire these people in the first place

more fear mongoring at its best

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Illegals Medical Bills top $35.7M : He obviously shouldn't be doing that since according to a couple of posters it's a waste of time and money.

They are targeting illegals with criminal records is my understanding. It does waste money, but probably a good idea. HOwever it is suicide politically, as the action has lost him the faith of the hispanic community, who really did help him win the election.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dazydo. Show dazydo's posts

Rectum-cleaner say "immigration is down" and makes it sound like Obama has anything to do with it, well, indirectly he's right.  The economy is in the toilet, not enough jobs to go around, even those jobs "americans won't do".  Well, guess what, Americans are doing those jobs believe it or not, and the illegals are leaving because there is no work.

Nice job Bammy, I'm sure you planned this all along, make the economy a shambles, fix the immigrantion issues, genius!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RevWright. Show RevWright's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Illegals Medical Bills top $35.7M : They are targeting illegals with criminal records is my understanding. It does waste money, but probably a good idea. HOwever it is suicide politically, as the action has lost him the faith of the hispanic community, who really did help him win the election.

Don't ALL illegals have a criminal record.. except that it hasn't been recorded.
    Lets not split hairs here gringo.
    You are right.. it is all about politics and NOT about American citizens. Lets reverse the roles my friend.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

[QUOTE]"Deportation isn't instantaneous and individuals have some options for petitioning to stay." That is the understatement of the century.... thanks to liberals, it is close to impossible to deport anyone other than a violent criminal. Kind of like how liberals built up an appeals process that made it impossible to use the death penalty and now argue... it is too expensive and complicated to use the death penalty.. Auntie Zenuti and thousands of others like her take their "option" and mooch off those who work permanently... 

Of course, it's all the Hated Liberals fault.  Seriously, can I have a few tabs of that?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RevWright. Show RevWright's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Illegals Medical Bills top $35.7M : then why are repubs so adament about doing it? oh right...money and time waster is no biggy when you get hand outs from the corporations that hire these people in the first place more fear mongoring at its best
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0[/QUOTE]

Lets NOT generalize Jimmah Boy.

The string comparing independent corporations to government freebies eludes me.
    As a viable candidate for president, I support serious penalties for hiring corporations, strong boder enforcement along with immediate deportation. 
    Problem will be gone in 6 months. Federal savings achieved and penalties would directly go to our crumbling social security system.
     Can I count on your vote son??  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Illegals Medical Bills top $35.7M : Don't ALL illegals have a criminal record.. except that it hasn't been recorded. Lets not split hairs here gringo. You are right.. it is all about politics and NOT about American citizens. Lets reverse the roles my friend.
    Posted by RevWright[/QUOTE]

I think when people are talking about illegals with criminal pasts they mean much more serious things like theft and violent crime.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Illegals Medical Bills top $35.7M : Rectum-cleaner say "immigration is down" and makes it sound like Obama has anything to do with it, well, indirectly he's right.  The economy is in the toilet, not enough jobs to go around, even those jobs "americans won't do".  Well, guess what, Americans are doing those jobs believe it or not, and the illegals are leaving because there is no work. Nice job Bammy, I'm sure you planned this all along, make the economy a shambles, fix the immigrantion issues, genius!
    Posted by dazydo[/QUOTE]

Hawkeye I never said Obama was responsible forillegal  immigration being down. I think it is clear the economy is the source of that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Illegals Medical Bills top $35.7M : True, Germany effectively sealed off east from west.

True, East Germany effectively sealed off the west east from the east west.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RevWright. Show RevWright's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Illegals Medical Bills top $35.7M : I think when people are talking about illegals with criminal pasts they mean much more serious things like theft and violent crime.

as opposed to something smaller like .. lets say.. invading a countyry with 15+ million others and stripping it's resources? Guess it's all relative.