In Ted Cruz v. Paul Ryan, Ryan is the winner

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In Ted Cruz v. Paul Ryan, Ryan is the winner

I'm beginning to like S.E. Cupp

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/10/opinion/cupp-cruz-ryan-battle/index.html?hpt=hp_bn7

CNN) -- The Los Angeles Times headline said it all: "Rep. Paul Ryan Fails to Close Republican Divide."

When this became Ryan's job, or whether his now "controversial" Wall Street Journal op-ed was even an attempt at doing that, is anyone's guess.

But once again, Republicans have decided to cannibalize themselves viciously and needlessly instead of uniting over common goals.

Furthermore, the sniping is just unseemly, and frankly, Cruz's defenders are only managing to make Ryan look like the grown-up.

I don't recall Ryan jumping into the fray when plenty of Republicans were criticizing the strategy to defund Obamacare -- a position by Cruz that I have applauded as heroic. When Sens. Bob Corker and Orrin Hatch and Rep. Peter King were scolding Cruz for a plan they knew was ill-fated, Ryan was virtually silent on the move. This, even though Cruz has never been shy about his disdain for Ryan Republicans. Back in March, Cruz criticized Ryan's budget plan for its Medicare cuts. And he's made it clear he doesn't trust Ryan when it comes to budget negotiations.

It's hard to argue that Ryan isn't a staunch conservative. To treat him like a traitor is preposterous and unproductive. And while I admire Cruz's conviction, and stand by his commitment to peel back a program as odious and ruinous as the Affordable Care Act, he has to learn to work with others on his own team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Re: In Ted Cruz v. Paul Ryan, Ryan is the winner

I like SE CUpp as well, she holds herself well and while partisan comes across as more pragmatic than ideological.  But when guys like Ryan are called out as not being conservative enough by types like Cruz it demonstrates how far to the right some in the GOP have drifted.  Legislating involves making deals and compromise.  If an elected congressperson cannot do those two things then they should not hold office.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"Legislating involves making deals and compromise.  If an elected congressperson cannot do those two things then they should not hold office.  "

You might pass that good advice about compromising along to your rigid non-compromising President..

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Cruz did not say he didnt trust Ryan specifically, here is what he actually said:

“The senior senator from Arizona urged this body to trust the Republicans. Let me be clear: I don’t trust the Republicans, and I don’t trust the Democrats,” Cruz said. “I think a whole lot of Americans likewise don’t trust the Republicans and the Democrats because it is leadership in both parties that has gotten us in this mess."

Nonetheless,  I too side with Paul Ryan, for the illogical reason I once was privileged to meet Paul Ryan ....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Legislating involves making deals and compromise.  If an elected congressperson cannot do those two things then they should not hold office.  "

You might pass that good advice about compromising along to your rigid non-compromising President..

[/QUOTE]

Congress passes budgets and the CR presented is in fact a compromise.  Save for around 20 billion its total cost is identical to the Ryan budget.  Obama conceded spending cuts during the last debt limit "crisis" and cut more spending prior to that, in addition to agreeing to keep the bush tax cuts, in addition to the tax cuts he authorized after taking office.  Apparently you don't know what "compromise" means.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Congress passes budgets and the CR presented is in fact a compromise.  Save for around 20 billion its total cost is identical to the Ryan budget.  Obama conceded spending cuts during the last debt limit "crisis" and cut more spending prior to that, in addition to agreeing to keep the bush tax cuts, in addition to the tax cuts he authorized after taking office.  Apparently you don't know what "compromise" means.  

[/QUOTE]

Apparently you dont know what "spending cuts" mean, in DC Beltway liberal-delusion-land.

They mean a slight theoretical tweak of the astronomical yearly increases for future years...

Sections
Shortcuts