Iran uses youtube's refusal to pull fire-in-crowded-theatre video as pretext to block google and gmail.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Re: Iran uses youtube's refusal to pull fire-in-crowded-theatre video as pretext to block google and gmail.

No surprise here; the middle east will never move towards open democratic government until they learn how to deal with things words and they don't like.  They never got that school yard lesson of sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Re: Iran uses youtube's refusal to pull fire-in-crowded-theatre video as pretext to block google and gmail.

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No surprise here; the middle east will never move towards open democratic government until they learn how to deal with things words and they don't like.  They never got that school yard lesson of sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me.

[/QUOTE]

In fact just the opposite has happened in Libya where the transitional government is basing its constitution off that of the united states as well as attempting to limit the power of religion in the government. But lets label a large region that spans 3 contents as all being the same.

As for Iran I have felt for a while that their government is not long for this world. The population of the country is far to liberal as well as well educated to continue on its path. but thats just a personal hope of course.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In fact just the opposite has happened in Libya where the transitional government is basing its constitution off that of the united states as well as attempting to limit the power of religion in the government. But lets label a large region that spans 3 contents as all being the same.

As for Iran I have felt for a while that their government is not long for this world. The population of the country is far to liberal as well as well educated to continue on its path. but thats just a personal hope of course.

[/QUOTE]

So like I said it won't work until they learn to deal with things they don't like eg freedom of religion and the limits on religion from government.  Let's see how the Libya experience goes, a glimmer of progress generally needs two generations for it to take hold.  I equate this to our own civil rights battles in the 50's and 60's.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Probably more relatable to the Articles of Confederacy to be honest.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

Okay Newster what ever you say!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

RSF4Life234, congratulations.  You're "Made".  Called illogical and stupid, and your family complimented.  It's as good as kisses on both cheeks.  But then, you haven't yet received his highest compliments: "delusional" and the ultimate irony, "moonbat".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RSF4Life234's comment:

As for Iran I have felt for a while that their government is not long for this world. The population of the country is far to liberal as well as well educated to continue on its path. but thats just a personal hope of course

I dunno. They did a good job of stamping out the 'green revolution'.

[/QUOTE]

depressingly true. Hopefully Libya will be a real model for the middle east to follow.

And to firewind, ive realized sometimes its just not worth it to bother with some people.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Hopefully Libya will join Iraq as role models for Islamic democracy for the region.

As Iraq has painfully discovered, the smallish but well organized hard core Islamist groups that inhabit these areas are not in the least interested in democracy (except as a means to gain power, see Egypt.) I wish them luck but it's going to a long rough road for them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Also, it's very sad that we didn't more energetically back the Iranian green movement before it was brutally crushed.

It appears that Obama is willing to support the overthrow of secular dictators (Syria aside) but not so much the regimes of Islamist theocrats.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Also, it's very sad that we didn't more energetically back the Iranian green movement before it was brutally crushed.

It appears that Obama is willing to support the overthrow of secular dictators (Syria aside) but not so much the regimes of Islamist theocrats.

[/QUOTE]

Gadaffi was an islamist and not secular at all.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Then why was he opposed by al Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood?

Gadaffi used the trapppings of Islam to reinforce his regime but he was no more an Islamist than you or I.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

[QUOTE]

Then why was he opposed by al Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood?

Gadaffi used the trapppings of Islam to reinforce his regime but he was no more an Islamist than you or I.

[/QUOTE]

Gadaffi had a working relationship with the muslim brotherhood which is why they were not allowed to run for any legislative seats. As for Al Queda, islam like christianity has many different interpretations of the scripture and even little differences in interpretation can result in a dispute.

Also if you look at what their objectives are Al Queda is really more about power then it is anything else.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Also if you look at what their objectives are Al Queda is really more about power then it is anything else.

For al Qaeda and the other Islamists power and religion are inseparable. Their objetive is the implemetation of a world wide Caliphate which which would incorporate complete religious and political power in a Muslim ruler.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSF4Life234. Show RSF4Life234's posts

[QUOTE]

For al Qaeda and the other Islamists power and religion are inseparable. Their objetive is the implemetation of a world wide Caliphate which which would incorporate complete religious and political power in a Muslim ruler.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree somewhat but not significantly. I see religion as being used as an excuse to rally around not nessicarily the end game. The irony is that most of those volunteers for their organization come from poor and impovrished countries that already have religiously based despots, eg Saudi Arabia, Yemen, and others.

20. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts