IRS list reveals concerns over Tea Party 'propaganda'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

IRS list reveals concerns over Tea Party 'propaganda'

WASHINGTON — Newly uncovered IRS documents show the agency flagged political groups based on the content of their literature, raising concerns specifically about "anti-Obama rhetoric," inflammatory language and "emotional" statements made by non-profits seeking tax-exempt status.

The internal 2011 documents, obtained by USA TODAY, list 162 groups by name, with comments by Internal Revenue Service lawyers in Washington raising issues about their political, lobbying and advocacy activities. In 21 cases, those activities were characterized as "propaganda."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/09/17/irs-tea-party-target-list-propaganda/2825003/

Please, tell me again how these were just rogue agents in Cincinnati.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: IRS list reveals concerns over Tea Party 'propaganda'

Yah, expect the flow of "nothing to see here" replies from the typical progressives.

I was listening to some congressman this morning from Wisconsin.  He tried to paint a picture of the Republicans being TEA party dominated and bringing the good work of Obama to a halt.  

The host, and this surprised me, as it was a liberal show, basically said, how can you be so scared of a small faction within a party that controls one half of one third of the government apparatus?

I'll tell you why progressives are scared:  they know the TEA party is largely correct in their assessment of not being able to afford a big government.

The IRS was tasked with taking the baby blanket and smothering this infant political movement in the crib.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

Wow, flagging organizations applying for an apolitical tax exempt staus but who have explicitly political literature.

Amazing

Wow,  abusing the unlimited power of the IRS to specifically target  the Administration's political enemies.
    Amazing that Democrats felt it warranted impeachment when a Republican was in the White House:

Article 2, section 1 of the Watergate articles of impeachment against Richard Nixon:

“He has, acting personally and through his subordinates and agents, endeavoured to obtain from the Internal Revenue Service, in violation of the constitutional rights of citizens, confidential information contained in income tax returns for purposed not authorized by law, and to cause, in violation of the constitutional rights of citizens, income tax audits or other income tax investigations to be intitiated or conducted in a discriminatory manner.”

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

IRS employees were “acutely” aware in 2010 that President Obama wanted to crack down on conservative organizations and were egged into targeting tea party groups by press reports mocking the emerging movement, according to an interim report being circulated Tuesday by House investigators.

Read more: http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/sep/17/report-irs-staff-acutely-aware-tea-party-antipathy/#ixzz2fGDAx66x 

The fish rots from the head down, as they say.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Is the claim that there are necessarily just as many "librul" organizations who register for apolitical tax-exempt status but then issue librul propoganda, as there are conservative organizations that do the same.....

...and therefore, based on this assumption that is logically necessary to the complaint, the alleged (if it is alleged) disproportionate focus on conservative organizations abusing apolitical tax-exempt status is in fact a conspiracy against conservatives?

What if there are simply more conservative apolitical tax exempt organizations that abuse their status by engaging in political propogands than there are librul ones?

It seems like people are simply assuming that they do it in equal proportions.... 

USA Today:

In February 2010, the Champaign Tea Party in Illinois received approval of its tax-exempt status from the IRS in 90 days, no questions asked.

That was the month before the Internal Revenue Service started singling out Tea Party groups for special treatment. There wouldn't be another Tea Party application approved for 27 months.

In that time, the IRS approved perhaps dozens of applications from similar liberal and progressive groups, a USA TODAY review of IRS data shows.

As applications from conservative groups sat in limbo, groups with liberal-sounding names had their applications approved in as little as nine months. With names including words like "Progress" or "Progressive," the liberal groups applied for the same tax status and were engaged in the same kinds of activities as the conservative groups. They included:

• Bus for Progress, a New Jersey non-profit that uses a red, white and blue bus to "drive the progressive change." According to its website, its mission includes "support (for) progressive politicians with the courage to serve the people's interests and make tough choices." It got an IRS approval as a social welfare group in April 2011.

• Missourians Organizing for Reform and Empowerment says it fights against corporate welfare and for increasing the minimum wage. "It would be fair to say we're on the progressive end of the spectrum," said executive director Jeff Ordower. He said the group got tax-exempt status in September 2011 in just nine months after "a pretty simple, straightforward process."

• Progress Florida, granted tax-exempt status in January 2011, is lobbying the Florida Legislature to expand Medicaid under a provision of the Affordable Care Act, one of President Obama's signature accomplishments. The group did not return phone calls. "We're busy fighting to build a more progressive Florida and cannot take your call right now," the group's voice mail said.

Like the Tea Party groups, the liberal groups sought recognition as social welfare groups under Section 501(c)(4) of the tax code, based on activities like "citizen participation" or "voter education and registration."

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to chiefhowie's comment:

WYWN

The one thing most people fail to accept.

"We The People" are not a political party.  

Our local has supported A Dem for office, because she was for the right policy.

Our Policy is for People good, not Organizations. 

aren't Unions tax exempt

It has always surprised me at how threatened the left feels when the right gets organized.  

Maybe their hand is as weak as we think after all, if it depends on intimidation and corruption to survive.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

It has always surprised me at how threatened the left feels when the right gets organized. 

You mean, like the 'million gun march'...?

The only people 'threatened' by the tee partee folk have been establishment republicans in congress.

Given their recalcitrance, I would hate to see what 'unorganized' looks like to them.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

http://washingtonexaminer.com/irs-lois-lerner-gave-confidential-tea-party-group-tax-info-to-fec-violating-law/article/2538263

The information, sent via email, to the FEC came in response to the organization’s questions about whether the IRS had granted tax-exempt status to the Tea Party groups. It is unclear how the information the IRS sent was going to help the FEC, since the IRS hadn’t determined the tax status of the groups yet.

The emails were produced to Judicial Watch last week by the FEC in response to an Aug. 9, 2013, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.

The email chain began Feb. 3, 2009, when the FEC made it’s request to Lerner.

She emailed back 10 minutes later, and said: “I have sent your email out to some of my staff. Will get back to you as soon as I have heard from them.”

According to Judicial Watch, the materials “from the IRS’ files sent from Lerner to the FEC containing detailed, confidential information about the organizations. These include annual tax returns (Forms 990) and request for exempt recognition forms (Form 1024), Articles of Organization and other corporate documents, and correspondence between the nonprofit organizations and the IRS. Under Section 6013 of the Internal Revenue Code, it is a felony for an IRS official to disclose either ‘return information or ‘taxpayer return information,’ even to another government agency.”

Lerner, who was head of the unit deciding tax exempt status, quit in the scandal.

“These extensive emails and other materials provide a disturbing window into the activities of two out-of-control federal agencies: the IRS and FEC,” said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. “And there is the very real question as to whether these documents evidence a crime.”

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to chiefhowie's comment:

We Don't need the the "DOME" to be Our Mama !

Max? MAX!?!

Is that you?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

WASHINGTON — Newly uncovered IRS documents show the agency flagged political groups based on the content of their literature, raising concerns specifically about "anti-Obama rhetoric," inflammatory language and "emotional" statements made by non-profits seeking tax-exempt status.

The internal 2011 documents, obtained by USA TODAY, list 162 groups by name, with comments by Internal Revenue Service lawyers in Washington raising issues about their political, lobbying and advocacy activities. In 21 cases, those activities were characterized as "propaganda."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/09/17/irs-tea-party-target-list-propaganda/2825003/

Please, tell me again how these were just rogue agents in Cincinnati.

Well, I don't know about any agents in Cincinatti, but I can tell you for DA#M sure, Obama knew nothing about this.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

According to Judicial Watch, the materials “from the IRS’ files sent from Lerner to the FEC containing detailed, confidential information about the organizations. These include annual tax returns (Forms 990) and request for exempt recognition forms (Form 1024), Articles of Organization and other corporate documents, and correspondence between the nonprofit organizations and the IRS. Under Section 6013 of the Internal Revenue Code, it is a felony for an IRS official to disclose either ‘return information or ‘taxpayer return information,’ even to another government agency.”

Seems to me that this should be, as VP Biden would say, a BFD.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Well, I don't know about any agents in Cincinatti, but I can tell you for DA#M sure, Obama knew nothing about this.

He's been very busy knowing about killing bin Laden. How many things do you think he can know about at any one time?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

The know nothing potus, is already a lame duck and he has 3 years left. God help us!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

The know nothing potus, is already a lame duck and he has 3 years left. God help us!

Errr...but you told us that Obama is the Messiah.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

He's been very busy knowing about killing bin Laden. How many things do you think he can know about at any one time?

Yeah yeah blame Osama

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:

Errr...but you told us that Obama isthe Messiah.

He is too your crew but, the other 53% have become fed up with the lies and deceit

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

He is too your crew but, the other 53% have become fed up with the lies and deceit

I have a crew now?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

I have a crew now?

Probably not but, you are part of one. You dont seem like a leader by nature.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts