Is $250K Rich?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Re: Is $250K Rich?

I make a little more then that and have 3 kids in college costing me a bundle. This leaves me with hardly any money to spare.

It just irks me when Obama describes me as a millionaire and billionaire not paying enough. 250k does not make you a millionaire.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

In response to bald-predictions' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I make a little more then that and have 3 kids in college costing me a bundle. This leaves me with hardly any money to spare.

It just irks me when Obama describes me as a millionaire and billionaire not paying enough. 250k does not make you a millionaire.

[/QUOTE]

I guess you are considered to be poor in GOP circles? LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

If you are a Democrat, anyone earning more than you is rich, and needs to be broken.

If you are a conservative anyone earning more than you is an opportunity to work and make more.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I think it is just that Democrats can't do math.

Afterall, one million is only four times as big as 250,000.  That's a rounding error.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

From where I stand and a large majority of Americans , yes $250K is rich.

People at $250K have a heck of a long way to fall to be in the "middleclass."

People in the "middleclass" only have a very short fall to becoming poor.

Why they call it "middleclass" I'll never know.

I'd be thrilled with 1/3rd of $250K.

The biggest problem with people who are well off is that they never think they are. I heard stories from my grandparents who grew up in the Depression years. I am not even close to rich, but , I have it so much better than they did. And I am grateful for it. If you start feeling you are in bad shape and that your life is not what you expected, talk to someone who was alive in the 1930's ask them about the Depression and WWII or read your history and you will feel richer and richer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

From where I stand and a large majority of Americans , yes $250K is rich.

People at $250K have a heck of a long way to fall to be in the "middleclass."

People in the "middleclass" only have a very short fall to becoming poor.

Why they call it "middleclass" I'll never know.

I'd be thrilled with 1/3rd of $250K.

The biggest problem with people who are well off is that they never think they are. I heard stories from my grandparents who grew up in the Depression years. I am not even close to rich, but , I have it so much better than they did. And I am grateful for it. If you start feeling you are in bad shape and that your life is not what you expected, talk to someone who was alive in the 1930's ask them about the Depression and WWII or read your history and you will feel richer and richer.

[/QUOTE]

Independent of policy, I agree. $250,00 per year is pretty comfy, except maybe New York City.

The problem is two fold:  It ain't a million, and you can't mine them for the type of tax dollars you think.

According to Christine Rohmer, Obama's ecopnomist, we are actually at or possibly over the zenith of the laffer curve.  What this means is:  Raising taxes will lower collected revenue.

Obama knows this, and admitted it in an interview with Charles Gibson.  Obama said he didn't care that it would lower the actual revenue collected, that he needed to do it for "fairness".

So, my translation:  Obama doesn't want to fix the economy, he wants to punish you if you have been successful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUfo-RxkXA8

So, don't beleive me, listen to Obama say what I just said.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

It's a relative term...250K in the northeast is worth a lot less than 250K in many other parts of the country. Then you have to consider someone's standard of living.

This is one of the reasons I've been saying the Bush tax cuts should be allowed to expire. It's the only way we are going to get comprehensive tax reforms. Right now..all the politicians are doing is kicking the can down the road.

I favor a flat tax..with no deductions..based only on income..and all income at that. I think that's the fairest way to go. Eliminate the deductions for mortgage interest, child tax credits, etc..etc... Why should I have to subsidize someone else's mortgage? A flat tax..no deductions..reform the tax code..make it simpler...etc..etc.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's a relative term...250K in the northeast is worth a lot less than 250K in many other parts of the country. Then you have to consider someone's standard of living.

This is one of the reasons I've been saying the Bush tax cuts should be allowed to expire. It's the only way we are going to get comprehensive tax reforms. Right now..all the politicians are doing is kicking the can down the road.

I favor a flat tax..with no deductions..based only on income..and all income at that. I think that's the fairest way to go. Eliminate the deductions for mortgage interest, child tax credits, etc..etc... Why should I have to subsidize someone else's mortgage? A flat tax..no deductions..reform the tax code..make it simpler...etc..etc.

[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see a flat tax but with capital gains included at the same rate - it's ridiculous that if you work for your money, you pay twice the taxes as if your money works for you.

Also, you're going to need some sort of exemption for basic needs - like the first $25K of everybody's earnings are tax-exempt.  Without that, the lower-middle class woudl have a lower standard of living than the impoverished.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to slomag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see a flat tax but with capital gains included at the same rate - it's ridiculous that if you work for your money, you pay twice the taxes as if your money works for you.

Also, you're going to need some sort of exemption for basic needs - like the first $25K of everybody's earnings are tax-exempt.  Without that, the lower-middle class woudl have a lower standard of living than the impoverished.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds like what Romney was saying.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There's that word. 

"COMPREHENSIVE".  It usually means the people are about to get  fracked.

That aside, I'll go for a flat tax.  Which means in my book, no other taxes.  Not VAT, no special brackets, no fees that are really taxes.  All of them.  No Obamacare taxes, either. 

Kill absolutely every federal tax and fee, figure out the rate for ALL this stuff, i.e. what it costs to run government, lay that percent as a tax for EVERYBODY, and let the chips fall where they may.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to bald-predictions's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yah, but he was a Republican.

And he communicated it like he was speaking through a throw pillow.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to jmel's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Good stuff.  Agree with all of it.  Unfortunately, I don`t think we`re going to get these great suggestions.  I think we will continue to hear that $250K = rich.  Why aren`t we hearing spending cuts?

[/QUOTE]

You are right.  And you will keep hearing it because it is not about raising revenue, according to Obama, it is about "fairness". 

In this case," fairness" means stirring up hate against successful Americans and punishing them.

That's not me talking, that's Obama talking in his debates with Clinton and interviews with Charlie Gibson.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to bald-predictions' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

In what way?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

Good stuff.  Agree with all of it.  Unfortunately, I don`t think we`re going to get these great suggestions.  I think we will continue to hear that $250K = rich.  Why aren`t we hearing spending cuts?

[/QUOTE]

You are not hearing spending cuts for two reasons, maybe more.

First, liberals actually beleive the money is not yours, but governments.  so they (the liberals and government) seem to think they should decide how you are to spend your money.  This is "big government" . immoral, and does not work, in economic terms. 

Second, politicians, ALL politicans get relelected by taking from you and giving to what they percieve as their voter base.

I have long maintained that the only reasonable course at this point is a 25% tax cut, and a 50% spending cut.  That is off the annual budget, not this deceptive "four trillion over ten years" nonsense.

This plan leads to short term pain followed by astounding growth. It does not favor the political system, but is better for the people.

The current plan is to avoid the economic facts, and keep us in a moderately painful position forever.  That favors the politicians, at the expense of the people.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

First, liberals actually beleive the money is not yours, but governments.  [/QUOTE]

I'm a liberal and I don't believe that.  I'll go out on a limb and say that other liberals on these boards don't believe that either.

What does that tell you about your theory?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

First, liberals actually beleive the money is not yours, but governments.  [/QUOTE]

I'm a liberal and I don't believe that.  I'll go out on a limb and say that other liberals on these boards don't believe that either.

[/QUOTE]

So, if you don't really beleive that the spoils of work earned by individuals is their money, to do with what they want, then how do you justify raising taxes to give the money to others you deem in need?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

"Rich" is relative.  So the to someone making 25K a year 250K would be rich, while the the person making 2.5 million would find the 250K earnings a pittance. 

In my opinion 250K isn't rich, but it is a high earner territory for sure but the amount will travel differently depending on the state where the earner lives. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Is $250K rich? To most it would seem to be rich and at one time it was but not today in the northeast. The problem with personal wealth whether you make $50K, $100K or $250 most people just adjust their lifestyle and live pay check to pay check.  Those with more income spend more of it on housing, cars and toys.

Making a good income allows one more choices but you find that you carry a larger financial burden; your income tax deductions get capped, you qualify for less direct aid for your kids college and are expected to pay more.

I do OK although not above $200K yet; I think I pay enough taxes on a percentage basis.  I’m salaried and work 40-60 hours a week for the same biweekly check, and usually its 50hrs/week never mind the nights and weekends as required.  I work hard for what I have and think that those who can work should work, …I’m not a fan of the redistribution of income crowd. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to UserName99's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So, if you don't really beleive that the spoils of work earned by individuals is their money, to do with what they want, then how do you justify raising taxes to give the money to others you deem in need?

[/QUOTE]

Is there a civilization anywhere in your reality?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Depends on where you live.  Unfortunately, the tax code doesn't make allowances for cost of living.

In any case, I'd rather make $250K than make less than $250K.