Is Christie The GOP Front-Runner for 2016?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Is Christie The GOP Front-Runner for 2016?

Lots of pundits weighing on on this today, and judging by his overly modest speech last night, his hat definitely seems like it's in the ring.

Curious what the forum denizens think about the man and his chances for uniting the GOP electorate, surviving the primaries, and winning the general.

I admit that I don't agree with a lot of Christie's positions, but he's got beaucoup skills and is entertaining to watch.  He has the charisma that so many other pols on both sides lack.

Have at it...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

Re: Is Christie The GOP Front-Runner for 2016?

I think he's certainly viable if he stays where he is on the political spectrum, though he may take heat on finance issues. He campaigned to clean up NJ's financial house, but has started using a lot of the same budget gimmicks that he slammed Corzine for.

Then again, he'll score easy points by shouting about deficits under Obama, despite the fact that the only real new spending under Obama was (1) stimulus, (2) possible future costs of Obamacare, (3) green energy loans. The rest of the deficiets are simply the result of crashed revenues, as has been demonstrated ad nauseum.

The first thing I said was more important, though. If like McCain and Romney he sheds his current political personae to pose as "severely conservative," he will lose credibility as they did and/or alienate those closer to center; again, as they did.

It hasn't been common for a party to enjoy two terms and then a third immediately after, so his chances for winning the general are better than Romney's were for that reason as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Id like to see him run so I can get more of an opinion of the guy. He would be entertaining. As long as the GOP doesnt completely lose its collective shitte and he doesnt let them pick his running mate, he could be a viable candidate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to NowWhatDoYouWant's comment:

I think he's certainly viable if he stays where he is on the political spectrum, though he may take heat on finance issues. He campaigned to clean up NJ's financial house, but has started using a lot of the same budget gimmicks that he slammed Corzine for.

The first thing I said was more important, though. If like McCain and Romney he sheds his current political personae to pose as "severely conservative," he will lose credibility as they did and/or alienate those closer to center; again, as they did.

It hasn't been common for a party to enjoy two terms and then a third immediately after, so his chances for winning the general are better than Romney's were for that reason as well.

Agreed.

I just wonder how some gopers will be able to stomach another northeastern governor of a blue, urban state regardless of the (R) after his name.  (Romney had Utah roots to lean on.)

I'm also curious on how he'll govern in the next two years in NJ to bulk up his resume and whether his mouth might get him in trouble with some groups.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

fun to consider..yes he will run..he can't win....dems have too many numbers...too many people not paying taxes, too many people on the government payroll....too many under informed voters...

Hillary will win by a landslide....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

waaaay to soon to tell

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

I agree on a couple points here. It is way too soon to tell. With that, it is going to be difficult but not impossible to beat the dems with their ever growing government relied on base.

I do feel though by 2016 the country will have a bit of democratic fatigue. I think you're already starting to see this with the obamacare roll out, and the presidents latest numbers today, (not looking good).  

If/when Hillary gets the nomination, she is going to have a tough go with the Benghazi thing hanging over her head. Also, she's no Obama when it comes to mesmerizing the lib's like Obama did in 08". Plus I'm not so sure she excites the younger vote, again like Obama did.

These things, and who knows what else between now and then, give the rep's a chance in 2016. Christy? Maybe, lets not screw this one up like they did nominating McCain, and there is a decent chance.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Chris Christie's answers every question in some variation of the following:

"Let me tell you something. I'm from New Jersey. And in New Jersey, we give straight talk. We don't beat around the bush like politicians. I'm a regular guy from New Jersey. I'm not going to give you some soundbite answer. I'm going to tell it like it is. Next question."

I'm with ACC on this one.  I don't see him getting the nomination. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:

"Let me tell you something. I'm from New Jersey. And in New Jersey, we give straight talk. We don't beat around the bush like politicians. I'm a regular guy from New Jersey. I'm not going to give you some soundbite answer. I'm going to tell it like it is. Next question."

I don't know. A politician who seems to genuinely mean everything he says and appears to act on it is likely to be appealing for that reason.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

It's hard to imagine Christie winning the nomination given the deep schism in the wingnut party between the teaboppers and the establishment.

He is considered by the teaboppers that most dreaded of wingnut politicians; a Northeast RINO, and after the Mittens disaster, that view will dominate a large part of the party's base.

I don't think there can be any front runner in the wingnut party until their intercine battles play out and are decided one way or another.

I agree in as much as I think that whether or not it he is in the general really comes down to the state of the far right come primary time.

Will the GOP have learned its lesson by then?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"Kiss her where it smells...take her to New Jersey!"

;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

I don't know. A politician who seems to genuinely mean everything he says and appears to act on it is likely to be appealing for that reason.

He may be acting on it, but it ain't working.  The NJ unemployment rate is among the worst, he promised to close the deficit - its rising, Big Pharma companies are taking off, tolls have gone up, and he raided the teacher's retirement funds.......oops, he'll score points in the GOP for that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

He may be acting on it, but it ain't working.  The NJ unemployment rate is among the worst, he promised to close the deficit - its rising, Big Pharma companies are taking off, tolls have gone up, and he raided the teacher's retirement funds.......oops, he'll score points in the GOP for that.

Why did he get 60% of the vote, if "it aint working"?

Even Democrats knew someone had to take on the pinky-ring public unions and their looting of the Treasury. Christie had the guts to do it, and his poll numbers werent too good at the time.

No doubt many liberals like WDYWN who have faux bipartisanship,  will feign shock when Christie actually runs as a Republican.  Christie , like Huntsman , will be their pet GOP fav guy until he is actually a threat to win.

I think Christie is smart enough to not be dazzled by the liberal media's current crush on him. He knows they will turn on him soon enough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

He'll run and is likely the frontrunner as of today, but we are so far out that new blood could easily swoop in and replace him.  If 2012 was any indication its that the GOP base doesn't know what it wants and will support most any warm body.  That will likely change in 2016 when candidates can't pander the hardcore Obama haters, but that won't stop the strange from running.  

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I agree on that.  

But, still don't like Christie for the nod.  I think the press wants him, will endorse him in the primaries, and "McCain" him in the general.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

I agree on that.  

But, still don't like Christie for the nod.  I think the press wants him, will endorse him in the primaries, and "McCain" him in the general.

Are you blaming the press for McCain's loss and not his horrendous pick for VP?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

I agree on that.  

Despite your Palin Derangement Syndrome, the polls clearly showed Palin helped McCain
    with quite a bump after she was selected, especially with the GOP base. No VP candidate can win or lose the race, the top of the ticket is more important. Dems and the liberal media (but I repeat myself) were goofily gaga for Obama, and they despised Palin, but that didnt much matter. 

What will you say about Nikki Haley or Susanna Martinez if selected as VP?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

Despite your Palin Derangement Syndrome, the polls clearly showed Palin helped McCain
    with quite a bump after she was selected

And then down down down down.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

Well the whackjob wingnuts meant it when they said that they would end ACA and went so far as to try and destroy the country in the process ... all to appeal to a small, wild-eyed bunch of nihlist morons.

Of course the fact that their "plan of action" was more like Custer's battle plans at Little Big Horn or the Charge of the Light Brigade only incited their base even more.

Ok, but I don't consider Christie a "whackjob wingnut" ....

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

I agree on that.  

Yes, at least in part.  There were many arrows in that quiver, in particular being a terrible selection by the Republicans to begin with.  And, the pick wasn't the most horrendous pick.  I mean, Joe Biden?  Besides, Palin was responsible for the only uptick in the polls for McCain:

"In the general election against Democratic nominee Barack Obama, McCain trailed most of the time, only gaining a lead in national polls for a period after the Palin announcement and the 2008 Republican National Convention. "

I hope you are not going to deny the press turned  on McCain in the general?  Perhaps Palin was the fuel, but the press was just itching for a reason.  But, consider this:

"In July 2008, the McCain campaign shifted to a much more restrictive attitude toward the press, virtually ending the former time for open-ended questions.[382] McCain's press conferences became infrequent and, as one reporter stated, "He no longer ventures to the press section of his campaign plane to talk to reporters."

Something drove this, and it is fairly obvious they new the press had turned on him in favor of Obama.

Sections
Shortcuts