Is Curt Schilling a Hall of Famer ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Is Curt Schilling a Hall of Famer ?

No ! I would  take El Tiante first over Schilling .

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Re: Is Curt Schilling a Hall of Famer ?

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Definately with you on Tiant (even with that year with the Yankees), but it isn't either or.

Bob Ryan will vote for Curt.

I think Tiant is officially done.

[/QUOTE]

They were both gamers . Not too many people will remember Tiant  throwing over 150 pitches to win Game 4 in 75 against the Big Red Machine !

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Sistersledge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Definately with you on Tiant (even with that year with the Yankees), but it isn't either or.

Bob Ryan will vote for Curt.

I think Tiant is officially done.

[/QUOTE]

They were both gamers . Not too many people will remember Tiant throwing over 150 pitches to win Game 4 in 75 against the Big Red Machine !

[/QUOTE]

I remember!

And his cigars are superb!

El Tiante Cigars

[/QUOTE]

He was alot of fun !

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

[QUOTE]

That head fake was borderline illegal

[/QUOTE]

I can remember in Gm 1 of the 75 Series with Morgan on first being held on by Cecil "0 for the post series" Cooper , Tiant was in the strech holding the ball and faking with the head and he was called for balk !

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to jmel's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

That head fake was borderline illegal

[/QUOTE]

I can remember in Gm 1 of the 75 Series with Morgan on first being held on by Cecil "0 for the post series" Cooper , Tiant was in the strech holding the ball and faking with the head and he was called for balk !

[/QUOTE]

Remember like it was yesterday.  Ran into him in a Sears on the South Shore of Massachusetts about 7-8 years ago.  He was doing a signing and the poor bas...tard was setting up his own freakin table.  Had 2 of my kids with me and as I gushed, they said, "Dad, who`s the old guy"?  They have the autographs under glass.  Since then, when we go to Sox games, Luis is always hanging and signing.  The kids love it.

Schilling will go.  He has to.  Arizona WS, Sox WS twice, ton of wins, he`s a  1st -rounder.  His business practices.........well, not so much. 

[/QUOTE]

If Schilling gets in it will because of his post season record, 11 / 2 and 5/0 in must win games.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

jmel I have never been in that area .... maybe next summer BOH and Saratoga !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

it's very political

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Career ERA of 3.46.  20 game winner in 3 seasons.  Had 2 good seasons in back to back years only once.  He never won a Cy Young.  In Boston, he had 1 great year, 1 good year and 2 mediocre years. 

His final year in Boston, when he signed a contract but never played, leaves a bad taste.

He doesn't compare to Pedro, who has a career ERA of 2.93 and had season ERAs under 2 in 2 seasons where he started 29 games or more.  Pedro was a dominant pitcher. 

If you put all of the great pitchers of the Schilling era, I'm not sure Schilling ranks in the top 10.

Bottom line - no HOF for Schilling.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Schilling has wins, championships, and name recognition on his side.  His career stats are above average, not stellar.  I think he gets in. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Schilling is first round in due to the sock, otherwise it when have been a year or two wait.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Schilling has one of the great post season track records in MLB history.  Obviously this is aided some by expanded playoffs, but his post season win/loss record and ERA a remarkable vs. any era.

He gets hurt by his career win total, which is not outstanding by HOF standards.

Schilliing won't get in on the first ballot but he may start to gain support as the years past and voters gain a greater appreciation for how great he was when it mattered most in 2001 and 2004. 

I'm also of the opinion that the voters need to take into account pitchers (who were clean) who pitched during the PED era when offensive numbers were historically inflated.  It is for this reason that Mr. Pedro Martinez is THE greatest pitcher in the history of MLB.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think Schilling gets in - if he doesn't, he's the only eligible pitcher with 3,000 Ks not to get in.  ERA+ adjusts (or attempts to adjust) for things like the steroid era, and that has him in the company of Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson and Jim Palmer.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to slomag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Schilling gets in - if he doesn't, he's the only eligible pitcher with 3,000 Ks not to get in.  ERA+ adjusts (or attempts to adjust) for things like the steroid era, and that has him in the company of Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson and Jim Palmer.

[/QUOTE]

Wow.  Bob Gibson has ONE more K than Schilling

[/QUOTE]

Bob Gibson was a BEAST ....... he once pitched with a broken leg .... also he struck out The Boomer to record the final out in the 7th Game of the 67 World Series !

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlleyCatBruin. Show AlleyCatBruin's posts

[QUOTE]

No ! I would  take El Tiante first over Schilling .

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. El Tiante over Schilling.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Tiante, hands down.

Schilling is a tool.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

I don't know the answer to the OP's question, but would say that it's very good that the discussion is staying around his baseball, and not his misfortune running a company.  God knows, many of those on the walls of that beautiful room in Cooperstown went down a lot harder than him when their baseball was over.  Hope he makes it, someday.  But there are probably many out there without our bias who will want to see a lot more history under baseball's belt to see how he stacks up in the long view.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Tiant Luis and Johnny Bench TiantLuisandJohnnyBench.jpg photo

25. This post has been removed.