Is Curt Schilling a Hall of Famer ?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Re: Is Curt Schilling a Hall of Famer ?

In response to BilltheKat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Tiante, hands down.

Schilling is a tool.

[/QUOTE]

Only baseball please...... Schilling was a mastercraftman and an artist when it came to throwing a baseball ! I happen to think that Tiant was a better pitcher than Schilling

Please feel free to give your opinion on why you think Tiant was a better pitcher than Schilling .

Thanks and no hard feelings .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

but would say that it's very good that the discussion is staying around his baseball

----------------------------

Alas its not, because the liberal dbags here can't get over it.

Ted Williams was a republican.  Throw him out of the HOF.  He just wasn't quite good enough.

406, schmor-o-six.  Blah.

[/QUOTE]

Don't forget that he also did 2 tours in the USMC as a fighter pilot during the prime of his career !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

but would say that it's very good that the discussion is staying around his baseball

----------------------------

Alas its not, because the liberal dbags here can't get over it.

Ted Williams was a republican.  Throw him out of the HOF.  He just wasn't quite good enough.

406, schmor-o-six.  Blah.

[/QUOTE]

As a veteran of the Sox forum, I can tell you that Schilling posts always get political sooner or later :)

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

I think Schill has a shot eventually, certainly his exploits with the Diamondbacks and the Sox shine a bright light on his career and may be enough to sway writers who may penalize him for not winning a Cy Young, and having "only" 216 wins.  He had a very good career, though personally I am not convinced it will translate into a HoF induction. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Schill has a shot eventually, certainly his exploits with the Diamondbacks and the Sox shine a bright light on his career and may be enough to sway writers who may penalize him for not winning a Cy Young, and having "only" 216 wins.  He had a very good career, though personally I am not convinced it will translate into a HoF induction. 

[/QUOTE]

Add to that that he is the best goalie this town has ever had.  Even better than Larry Bird.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to slomag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Schilling gets in - if he doesn't, he's the only eligible pitcher with 3,000 Ks not to get in.  ERA+ adjusts (or attempts to adjust) for things like the steroid era, and that has him in the company of Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson and Jim Palmer.

[/QUOTE]

If Tiant gets in, which I would love to see, then Schilling is automatic. 

Tiant:

229 - 172 (57% winning percentage)

3.30 ERA

2,416 K's

Schilling:

216 - 146 (60% winning percentage)

3.46 ERA

3,116 K's

Not to mention he holds record for highest winning percentage (.846) in post season play among pitchers with at least 10 decisions. 

And of course two World Series Championships

[/QUOTE]

ERA is the only stat that is really comparable.  W/L record is too dependent on the team.  K's reflect whether or not the pitcher was strike out pitcher.  Schilling was, Tiant wasn't.

Even the ERA by itself isn't perfect because it can reflect a pitcher sticking around too long.

Tiant gets in because he won 20 games or more in a season 4 times, had a season ERA under 2.00 twice, and under 3.00 in 6 seasons.

Schilling is close to being HOF worthy but he has long stretches in his career when he did nothing.  Too many seasons when he didn't pitch enough.  He failed to pitch 200 innings in 13 of his 20 years in the majors.  This reflects that he didn't take care of himself.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think Schilling gets in - if he doesn't, he's the only eligible pitcher with 3,000 Ks not to get in.  ERA+ adjusts (or attempts to adjust) for things like the steroid era, and that has him in the company of Tom Seaver, Bob Gibson and Jim Palmer.

[/QUOTE]

If Tiant gets in, which I would love to see, then Schilling is automatic. 

Tiant:

229 - 172 (57% winning percentage)

3.30 ERA

2,416 K's

Schilling:

216 - 146 (60% winning percentage)

3.46 ERA

3,116 K's

Not to mention he holds record for highest winning percentage (.846) in post season play among pitchers with at least 10 decisions. 

And of course two World Series Championships

[/QUOTE]

ERA is the only stat that is really comparable.  W/L record is too dependent on the team.  K's reflect whether or not the pitcher was strike out pitcher.  Schilling was, Tiant wasn't.

Even the ERA by itself isn't perfect because it can reflect a pitcher sticking around too long.

Tiant gets in because he won 20 games or more in a season 4 times, had a season ERA under 2.00 twice, and under 3.00 in 6 seasons.

Schilling is close to being HOF worthy but he has long stretches in his career when he did nothing.  Too many seasons when he didn't pitch enough.  He failed to pitch 200 innings in 13 of his 20 years in the majors.  This reflects that he didn't take care of himself.

[/QUOTE]

Tiant was a strikeout pitcher when he first came up with the Indians. With the Indians in the late 60's Tiant combined with Sudden Sam McDowell and Sonny Siebert to lead the AL in team strikeouts for a few year. Alot baseball fans who are younger than me  just don't know the history of Tiant's early career. He once pitch 4 straight complete games shutouts and he finished that year with 9 shutouts. At one time in the early 70's the prevailing wisdom among baseball people was that Tiant was washed up because of a right upper arm injury. The Sox took a flyer on him and the rest is RedSox Nation Lore. IMO about Tiant's career with the Sox was that he was the third most outstanding pitcher that I seen pitch for the Sox behind Roger and Pedro.  Don't get me wrong Schilling was indeed clutch but so wasn't Tiant.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Tiant had over 200Ks in 3 seasons, with 264 being his highest season total.  Schilling had over 300 Ks in 3 seasons and 293 in a 4th.

Tiant's best seasons compare favorably to Pedro's best season.  Schilling's best seasons don't come close.  It's the multiple seasons with an era under 2.00 that is the difference.  Schilling doesn't have any and Tiant and Pedro did it multiple times.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

Tiant had over 200Ks in 3 seasons, with 264 being his highest season total.  Schilling had over 300 Ks in 3 seasons and 293 in a 4th.

Tiant's best seasons compare favorably to Pedro's best season.  Schilling's best seasons don't come close.  It's the multiple seasons with an era under 2.00 that is the difference.  Schilling doesn't have any and Tiant and Pedro did it multiple times.

[/QUOTE]

Nobody compared to Pedro in his prime.  Tiant pitched in the equivalent of a steroid era for pitchers - when he a 1.91 ERA in 1972 he finished 6th in the Cy Young voting.  When Pedro posted a 1.74 ERA in 2000, the next lowest ERA in the AL was 3.70.  And that was Roger Clemens.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nobody compared to Pedro in his prime.  Tiant pitched in the equivalent of a steroid era for pitchers - when he a 1.91 ERA in 1972 he finished 6th in the Cy Young voting.  When Pedro posted a 1.74 ERA in 2000, the next lowest ERA in the AL was 3.70.  And that was Roger Clemens.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that. Tiant best year in the 1968 , the Year of the Pitcher, and the year of Denny McLain who was the AL Cy Young and MVP !