Is Iraq the new South Korea?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Re: Is Iraq the new South Korea?

In Response to Re: Is Iraq the new South Korea?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Iraq the new South Korea? : I am sure they are getting a chuckle out of it right now. I don't think it is as big a chuckle as it was in 2004 when they and I am sure you were betting on a civil war and total chaos. No one is saying anything about what our job should be. Please try to stay on topic. The topic is Iraq the new S. Korea and if they are better off today than they were in 2002. The evidence to date says most are better off. Sectarian war has been waged in Iraq for hundreds of years! Ask the Kurds and Shiite if you don't want to take my word for it. And as for killing people, maybe you should look up Sadaams atrocities against Kurds and Shiite. You might then realize fewer people have been killed in Iraq during the war as before.
    Posted by brat13[/QUOTE]

In 2004 it WAS a civil war and near total chaos, so it wouldn't be a bet if it was a sure thing - something the war's architects failed to estimate from the beginning.

There are plenty of people in Iraq who had running water, electricity, jobs and decidedly fewer roadside bombs than they do now.  Are most Iraqis glad that Saddam is gone?  Most likely.  Are they happy about the means to reach that end and the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who had to die for it?  Highly questionable.  Do they want the Americans gone?  Abso-friggin-lutely.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Iraq the new South Korea? : Well the surge did work as it dramatically reduced the level of violence.  The premise about Irag being able to take over as we left may be a false premise.  Given some recent outbreaks of violence by Al Qeada as we were removing our combat troops I'd say we definately have  a problem for the long haul, McCain knew it and Obama had no part of such talk. Obama blindly followed the play book, but I can't give him the credit of leadership on this issue.  I can give him credit for re-entering Afghanistan to take care of unfinished business, which was a Bush failure.
    Posted by massmoderateJoe[/QUOTE]

So it was a blind decision to re-hire his republican predecessor's SecDef in order to maintain a continuity of leadership at the Pentagon? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

[QUOTE]That would first require admitting that "we broke it" in the first place and owning up to the abhorrent legacy that came with it... ...so bad, we won't even know the worst of it for some time now.
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE

Iraq is just as likely to have been MUCH worse if, we hadn't spent our resources on it as this economy is likely to have been much worse without the trillion we spent on it to this debacle we're in now!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from movingtarget2. Show movingtarget2's posts

That's a stupid argument, Boater.  A) You're conceding a trillion was spent there.  Wow, that's more than Obamacare would cost.  B) You're assuming our bombing didn't cause more damage than that. 

Hussein was a badass mofo.  Undeniable.  But their economy and political structure was 1000 times better off under his rule.  That is why we typically support the badass mofos, because they, in our eyes, represent the most stable of options.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Iraq the new South Korea? : So it was a blind decision to re-hire his republican predecessor's SecDef in order to maintain a continuity of leadership at the Pentagon? 
    Posted by Mattyhorn[/QUOTE]

He had no real options on his team, as defense was not one of his key issues during the election, so I guess we're lucky he kept Bush's SecDef on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from motelsix66. Show motelsix66's posts

It is silly to compare either of the two current attempts at nation building by the US in the Middle East with South Korea.  There are basic, essential ingredients for a democracy (stable economy, functioning government, population that believes in the system) and neither Iraq nor Afghanistan have them.  Not suprisingly, the neo-cons didn't take any of that into consideration before they invaded, much like the way intelligence reports were largely, if not completely ignored in the early days of US involvement in Vietnam.  The US made a very big s**t sandwich over there, and everybody's gonna have to take a bite.

Bon Appetit!

Sections
Shortcuts