In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:
Well if it's leadership you want then the PotUS is leading the country in the direction it wants to go but which Congress, as is it's prerogative, is obstructing.
Consider some options PotUS could enact per executive order, and the publics view on each;
- End the "gun show loophole"; 92% of Americans favor this position per Gallup, while PPP puts support at 76%.
- Ban high-capacity ammunition clips that contain more than 10 bullets: CNN/ORC, Gallup, Pew, PPP, and YouGov all show at least 53% of Americans in favor of this policy.
- Seek ways to ensure that people with poor mental health records do not get a gun: CNN/ORC found that 92% Americans did not want Americans with mental health problems to be in possession of a gun; PPP took it one step farther and discovered that 63% of Americans want people to be required to take a health exam before buying a gun.
- Ensure that guns, even if not recently purchased, would be registered with a government or law enforcement agency: CNN/ORC finds 78% agree with that policy.
- Ban outright, bullets that explode or are designed to break through a bullet-proof vest: Pew found that 56% favor this position.
- Make it more difficult to buy ammunition and/or guns over the internet: 69% of Americans wanted to ban these practices, according to PPP.