Jobs creation.. but what KIND of jobs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1984-Redux. Show 1984-Redux's posts

Jobs creation.. but what KIND of jobs

Obama 'appears' to be focusing jobs creation in areas that are not technology based mostly infrastructure maintenance. Those that benefit from these jobs will be either union and/or government positions. Nothing yet to the private sector.

On the other hand the president is putting NASA on a monetary diet.. jobs that are highly skilled, technology based and warrant new R&D efforts which have proven to create/boost industries which helped catapult the US into it's current leading position.

When one looks at WHO will get these jobs and WHO will be excluded.. combined with the daily shrinking level of WHO will be taxed.. some may come to the conclusion that these pieces only lead to class (in some cases racial) based programs. 

We cannot deny what the Kennedy era commitment to NASA did to this country and wonder why that cannot happen again. 

WASHINGTON -- The administration of U.S. President Barack Obama is canceling NASA's current space shuttle replacement- and lunar exploration-plan and is prepared to fight any congressional effort to save it, the nation's top budget official said Jan. 31.  

The president's budget, officially sent to Congress Monday morning, confirms what officials had stated during a teleconference with reporters one day before: White House Office of Management and Budget Director Peter Orszag and White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer stated Obama's plan to kill NASA's Constellation program, a five-year-old effort to replace the aging space shuttle fleet with new rockets and spacecraft optimized to return astronauts to the Moon.

SLIDESHOW: Who Will Build NASA's Space Taxis? 

"...[W]e are proposing a cancellation of the Constellation program at NASA even while making other investments in long range [research and development] there, which again is a significant step," Orszag said in response to a reporter's question about the tough choices Obama faced in drafting his 2011 spending plan.

The key elements of Constellation include the Orion crew capsule, its Ares 1 launcher, a larger rocket dubbed Ares 5 and the Altair lunar lander. Obama's top-line spending proposal for NASA is expected to increase slightly over the 2010 appropriation of $18.7 billion and would including some funding for an alternative means for transporting crews to and from the international space station.

Facing a federal deficit of $1.26 trillion in 2011, Obama is proposing a three-year freeze on most non-defense discretionary spending, a move the president believes will save $250 billion over the next 10 years, Orszag said. In addition, the White House is proposing more than 120 program terminations, reductions and efficiencies that together are expected to save $20 billion in 2011, Orszag said.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Re: Jobs creation.. but what KIND of jobs

This particular NASA mission is important, but it hardly seems critical when the country is facing more severe fiscal problems.  Space missions are hard to justify when children go hungry and seniors can't pay their heating bills, don't you think?

But now that you've brought it up - what, exactly, do the republicans propose to cut, spending-wise, from the budget?  They want to cut taxes, but where is that extra revenue coming from??  (They've opposed ANY cuts to medicare out-of-hand.) I've been watching and listening, but they can't seem to articulate it, can they....??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1984-Redux. Show 1984-Redux's posts

I haven't heard anything about the republican proposals. Have you?
    Either Obama or the media isn't listening to them. Repubs are rather irrelevant these days as they don't hold the presidency or either house in congress.
    Let me know what the wing nuts have suggested.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

GREEN !!!!   ALSO, THE KIND OF JOBS WHERE YOU SIT HOME AND WAIT FOR THE CHECK !!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1984-Redux. Show 1984-Redux's posts

Matty cleverly changed the focus to Republicans. My focus was that Obama is principally focused on creating jobs for minorities and that those jobs are short lived and will remain in either unions or government FOREVER!  Those sectors are incapable of promoting new and long lasting technologies which will benefit ALL. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Please provide fact based evidence that Obama's job creation plan is primarily aimed at minorities. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

"...eliminate retirement payments for federal workers who retire before the age of 62".

I hope the rest of their proposals weren't as disengenous as this one. There are a few Federal employees still vested and covered by the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) which was eliminated by Pres. Reagan. The vast majority are now covered by FERS, a system using a pension payment, a 401k, and Social Security, and such workers are just as bad off as anyone in any job who doesn't plan ahead and wait to retire until at least 62 if not "full" retirement age of 65, 66, or 67. The remaining employees who "retire before 62" are police, fire, and military. I'm not sure how much can be saved by making them work until their mid to late 60's, or if it would be worth it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Matty,

It's time to look at entitlements; all of them because we can't afford the wave of boomers moving into retirement. Social Security retirement age needs to be moved to later in life to reflect current lifespans.  Social Security needs to be reviewed for the number of quarters required for full benefits to prevent public sector double dipping and late to the job market benefits for people who didn't pay into the system.  Social Security should only pay out maximum benefit after age 67 and 35 years in the system.  It's time to reduce the size of government and tell people they have to be more self reliant.

Cancelling the Constellation Program is a mistake and a budget trick.  It's the school teacher, public safety and Library Hours game that municipalities play every year to raise taxes.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1984-Redux. Show 1984-Redux's posts

Please provide fact based evidence that Obama's job creation plan is primarily aimed at minorities.
    ===========================================================
    I only analyze what has been published based on the TYPE of jobs being created (real or fictional). Job works, infrastructure, highways.. all manual labor. From the type of project one can easily deduce the bulk of labor required. 

Please provide fact based evidence that Obama's job creation plan ISN'T primarily aimed at minorities. Not that Obama has the cojones to state such. Should I include illegals?

Relative to the government growth.. is there any question?

The Obama administration projects the number of employees on the government payroll will grow to 2.15 million this year, reportedly making it the largest federal workforce in modern history and fueling criticism over the size of government.

The Washington Times reported Wednesday that the bulk of the increase is on the civilian side, which is expected to grow by 153,000 workers in 2010.

The expansion means the workforce will top 2 million for the first time since President Clinton declared that "the era of big government is over," according to the newspaper. 

The expansion comes even as Obama calls for cutting the deficit and imposing a three-year freeze on some non-security spending

Hail the fatherland comrade.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

The Federal work force isn't wildly out of line with the levels of employment observed going back 20+ years

From 1981 through 2008, the civilian work force remained at about 1.1 million to 1.2 million, with a low of 1.07 million in 1986 and a high of more than 1.2 million in 1993 and in 2008. In 2009, the number jumped to 1.28 million. Not surprising that 2009 saw an increase what with the economy melting down and all and the private sector shedding jobs like so much dog fur.  And nearly 100,000 of the civilian jobs for 2010 are temporary workers that are being hired currently to support the census.  Those jobs will be eliminated in 2011 when the census is complete. 

As far as general job creation is concerned the types of worked being planned are the exact same types of work the government always looks to when trying to stimulate the economy.  And don't be so clueless as to think that road contructions and "manual labor" jobs don't include jobs for engineering services, administrative support (run of the mill white collar office jobs of varying types), in addition to construction elements.  Roads and bridges don't just materialize because a bunch of guys with shovels milled around for several weeks. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

There are a few Federal employees still vested and covered by the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) which was eliminated by Pres. Reagan.
    -------------
    It was eliminated (replaced) by congress dude.  96 to 1 and 424 to ZERO!

OK. I stand corrected. I'm also not saying it was the wrong thing to do.  All I'm saying is that for Rep. Cantor to imply that there are beaucoup bucks to be saved by eliminating under 62 retirement is being disingenuous, and I hope other suggestions he may have made would be better.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wraughn. Show wraughn's posts

Didn't the depression era create a lot of jobs for the arts?  Making a lot of murals and statues in gov't buildings?  I'm a big fan of the space program, but some things have to get cut in desparate times (thank you, GWB).

Nationwide, schools are being closed and vital programs are being cut back.  Homeless are rising and the food bank on my street is turning away the needy.  School closures mean larger classrooms, less quality of education and higher costs for bussing students.  The high tech at NASA has to ride the bumps too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1984-Redux. Show 1984-Redux's posts

Wraughn.. Schools (union workers) closed.. vital programs.. what about the children. Sorry but heard it all before. Fear mongering. People KNOW what this is all about.. wink wink.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wraughn. Show wraughn's posts

Schools (union workers) closed.. vital programs.. what about the children. Sorry but heard it all before. Fear mongering. People KNOW what this is all about.. wink wink.

/////

I know what you mean.  Drag out the children.  I'm not doing that.  How about fire and police departments cutting back?  You may have missed my point.  When the economy tanks, cities have to cut back because there is not enough tax revenue.  So do states.  And the feds keep over-spending (R & D). 

That drives down consumer spending, drives unemployment up and the tax base tanks and all kind of things end up getting shut down on the personal local level.  Do you see my point at all?  It's the "trickle down effect" Reagan spoke of.