Keeping your data safe

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Keeping your data safe

First we got the news that many Target customers were the victims of stolen credit card information starting on Black Friday through the middle of December. Now, last night comes the news that there was a major credit card breach affecting potentially tens of thousands of credit card customers in Boston's Seaport area ( particularly the convention center and a group of restaurants owned by one corporation).

Of course, these are just the latest in a long string of stories about credit card data being compromised. So, what is the solution? Do major credit card holders ( MC, Visa) need to be more responsible and vigilant? For sure, we as consumers need to be more vigilant. Do these type of things undermine people's faith and their confidence in spending money on credit cards..and does that in turn have economic implications?

Target offered ALL of its customers an extra 10% off their entire purchase ( some exclusions) in order to get people to come into its stores during their busiest season. In my opinion, 10% off is not enough to get me into any store during the Christmas frenzy.

I guess this is just another example why..at the end of the day...cash is king. I don't use my credit cards for eating out ( unless I am running a function) or shopping in stores simply as a matter of philosophy. However I have friends and family members who never carry cash and use plastic for everything.

It's funny. Over the past few weeks we've heard many politicians weighing in on Duck Dynasty...but not a one has come out in the news to comment on something that is actually a serious issue.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: Keeping your data safe

In response to miscricket's comment:

First we got the news that many Target customers were the victims of stolen credit card information starting on Black Friday through the middle of December. Now, last night comes the news that there was a major credit card breach affecting potentially tens of thousands of credit card customers in Boston's Seaport area ( particularly the convention center and a group of restaurants owned by one corporation).

Of course, these are just the latest in a long string of stories about credit card data being compromised. So, what is the solution? Do major credit card holders ( MC, Visa) need to be more responsible and vigilant? For sure, we as consumers need to be more vigilant. Do these type of things undermine people's faith and their confidence in spending money on credit cards..and does that in turn have economic implications?

Target offered ALL of its customers an extra 10% off their entire purchase ( some exclusions) in order to get people to come into its stores during their busiest season. In my opinion, 10% off is not enough to get me into any store during the Christmas frenzy.

I guess this is just another example why..at the end of the day...cash is king. I don't use my credit cards for eating out ( unless I am running a function) or shopping in stores simply as a matter of philosophy. However I have friends and family members who never carry cash and use plastic for everything.

It's funny. Over the past few weeks we've heard many politicians weighing in on Duck Dynasty...but not a one has come out in the news to comment on something that is actually a serious issue.

To be fair the Duck Dynasty issue almost ended the world as we know it....: )

This whole credit card issue is a bit unnerving. It's time the US adopted the chip, which is used in Europe and much, much harder to steal info from. So hard that it's not worth the time and effort...especially when the US credit cards as so much more easily accessed. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

This whole credit card issue is a bit unnerving. It's time the US adopted the chip, which is used in Europe and much, much harder to steal info from. So hard that it's not worth the time and effort...especially when the US credit cards as so much more easily accessed. 

Haha..too funny :-)

I agree about adopting the chip. I saw this on the evening news the other night. I don't know why it's not adopted other than I think the comment was credit card companies consider it too expensive. Just another thing the US needs to get with the program on...lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I agree about adopting the chip. I saw this on the evening news the other night. I don't know why it's not adopted other than I think the comment was credit card companies consider it too expensive. Just another thing the US needs to get with the program on...lol

Too expensive? That's funny considering the money credit card companies make. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Too expensive? That's funny considering the money credit card companies make. 

Yeah..pretty funny in a sad way. Not to worry my friend. Should the credit card companies decide to get with the times you can be sure they will pass the cost of this upgrade onto their customers ( most likely the merchants).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to twelve_angry_men's comment:

I guess you missed the news lately.

Not only have they been talking about it, they've actually proposed to do something about it.

Sen. Menendez Takes Action to Protect Consumers in Wake of Target Breach

U.S. Senator Robert Menendez (D-NJ) today announced that he has sent a letter to the head of the Federal Trade Commission requesting an update in its efforts into last week's security breach at Target Corporation retail stores. In addition, he has asked the FTC to recommend any further legislative action that will ensure consumers are better protected....

"I applaud Senator Menendez in his efforts to guard the American consumer from retailer's failures when it comes to security breaches," said Congressman Albio Sires (D-NJ). "I intend to support similar legislation with my colleagues in the House of Representatives in ensuring security breaches such as this one does not happen again and to make sure all transactions are protected and secure."

http://www.4-traders.com/TARGET-CORPORATION-12291/news/Target-Corporation--Sen-Menendez-Takes-Action-to-Protect-Consumers-in-Wake-of-Target-Breach-17702945/

Clearly I've missed it. I try to catch the 6pm news and the national news following whenever I am home in time. I haven't seen it reported so must have missed it. It clearly wasn't getting the same kind of play as Duck Dynasty..lol. Thanks for the info.

I don't think government is the answer to everything but I do believe it's appropriate to turn to government when the private industry seems unwilling or unable to provide basic consumer protections.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Wait until you find out Obamacare is getting hit frequently, personal data being misapropriated, and in some cases, misrouted, and there are no requirements inthe bill for government to do anything.

What about 10% off a colonoscopy?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to ronreganfan's comment:

Wait until you find out Obamacare is getting hit frequently, personal data being misapropriated, and in some cases, misrouted, and there are no requirements inthe bill for government to do anything.

What about 10% off a colonoscopy?

rrfan,

Actually I would LOVE 10% off a colonoscopy.

They are very expensive...into the thousands.

I have to have one every one to two years. 

If you have not had one yet, they are great fun...esp. the prep.

On the other hand, the most used anesthesia these days is the one that killed Michael Jackson. Gives a patient such a sence of ease and security.

Sections
Shortcuts