Krugman, Stewart in trillion-dollar coin tiff

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Latest from Politico; Krugman has his panties in a bunch, he's a classic liberal who hates it when the knife cuts both ways.  There are many times when Jon Stewart makes me wince but he invariably makes me laugh; Stewart is spot on and how Krugman hates it.

By MACKENZIE WEINGER | 

1/15/13 11:07 AM EST

The New York Times’ Paul Krugman and comedian Jon Stewart are currently in the midst of a tiff over the trillion-dollar coin.

Stewart first took on the coin in a segment on “The Daily Show” last Thursday, joking that “if we’re going to make shit up, I say go big or go home” and suggesting it makes just as much sense to mint a twenty-trillion dollar coin or maybe just “find” a “one-hundred quillion-dollar bill” featuring a centaur and a unicorn as it does to make the trillion-dollar coin. Krugman then blasted Stewart in a Saturday column, “Lazy Jon Stewart,” for the show's mockery of the coin.

“What went wrong here is a lack of professionalism on the part of Stewart and his staff,” he wrote. “Yes, it’s a comedy show — but the jokes are supposed to be (and usually are) knowing jokes, which are funny and powerful precisely because the Daily Show people have done their homework and understand the real issues better than the alleged leaders spouting nonsense. In this case, however, it’s obvious that nobody at TDS spent even a few minutes researching the topic. It was just yuk-yuk-yuk they’re talking about a trillion-dollar con hahaha.”

Krugman also told ABC in a Sunday interview posted online that Stewart is “ruining his brand” with his take on the coin.

“The idea is that the show should be like an especially good episode of the roundtable on ‘This Week,’ but in the form of jokes,” Krugman said. “But when he just turns it into dumb, ‘I don’t know nothing, but those people look dumb to me,’ he’s ruining his own brand.”

Stewart on Monday night responded to Krugman’s comments, saying, “First of all, I’m pretty sure that is my brand.”

“And second of all, if somebody is ruining their brand with a trillion-dollar coin idea, I don’t think it’s the non-economist,” he said.

The Daily Show host wrapped up his commentary by saying he stands by his initial assessment of the coin. It's a "stupid f---ing idea,” Stewart said.

“I stand by our research on the topic, the due diligence, and my ignorant conclusion that a trillion-dollar coin minted to allow the president to circumvent the debt ceiling, however arbitrary that may be, is a stupid f---ing idea,” Stewart said. “I said, good day. And I’m a fan of Paul Krugman.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Re: Krugman, Stewart in trillion-dollar coin tiff

Krugman: “Yes, it’s a comedy show — but the jokes are supposed to be (and usually are) knowing jokes...."

"knowing jokes"? Of course Krugman means jokes at Republicans' expense, which constitute 90-95% of Stewart's material.

Can you imagine a Republican pushing back at Jon Stewart or Colbert in this way?

They would be eviscerated as humorless pompous egotistical blowhards...

Speaking of which, Paul Krugman, who was paid big money as an "Enron consultant" just before the Enron scandal, is a humorless pompous egotistical blowhard.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Newtster's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Didn't Krugman play Oscar Madison on the Odd Couple? Some nerve he has recommending a $ trillion coin.

[/QUOTE]

It is liberal fantasy land time.  A trillion dollar coin?  Might as well make it a hundred trillion dollar coin and call it a day.

The "research" that Krugman emplores us to engage in starts by taking a big hit of acid, follwed by our insistence that making a trillion dollar coin solves our budget problems.  The only thing printing a trillion dollar coin does is depreciate the value of everyone's assets and transfer that value to the government.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Didn't Krugman play Oscar Madison on the Odd Couple? Some nerve he has recommending a $ trillion coin.

[/QUOTE]

It is liberal fantasy land time.  A trillion dollar coin?  Might as well make it a hundred trillion dollar coin and call it a day.

The "research" that Krugman emplores us to engage in starts by taking a big hit of acid, follwed by our insistence that making a trillion dollar coin solves our budget problems.  The only thing printing a trillion dollar coin does is depreciate the value of everyone's assets and transfer that value to the government.

[/QUOTE]

....it's another slight of hand political game for the administration to circumvent normal purse string checks and balances!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to 12-Angry-Men's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ya, the trillion dollar coin idea is almost as crazy as the whacko wingnuts idea of not paying the US debt. A debt that has been created from their own spending legislation.

Talk about bizarre!

Wingnuts live in an alternate reality of their own creation.

[/QUOTE]

Thats awesome; a post about 2 liberals arguing and 12angry's response "wingnuts live in an alternate reality" LMAO!!

His inability to look critically at his party affiliates is hilarious!

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to tvoter's comment:

Thats awesome; a post about 2 liberals arguing and 12angry's response "wingnuts live in an alternate reality" LMAO!! His inability to look critically at his party affiliates is hilarious!

Heh, heh, heh...ya because actually addressing WHAT the argument is about is just not enough fun for the whacko wingnuts.

You idiots are all about the rhetoric...not the substance.

Thanks for proving my point numbnuts.

[/QUOTE]

lol your are dillusional and need help!

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

[QUOTE]

And nice to see you whacko wingnuts are demonstrating how thinned skinned you are.

Ya'll are so pathetic, you're resorting to crying to big brother to have posts pulled.

Ya cowards can't even stand up for yourselves on an anonymous board!!! 

Ya, really offensive post:

Ya, the trillion dollar coin idea is almost as crazy as the whacko wingnuts idea of not paying the US debt. A debt that has been created from their own spending legislation.

Talk about bizarre!

[/QUOTE]

How about posting without personal attacks??

Or just keep blaming everyone else, your call

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

....it's another slight of hand political game for the administration to circumvent normal purse string checks and balances!

[/QUOTE]

bingo!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

And nice to see you whacko wingnuts are demonstrating how thinned skinned you are.

Ya'll are so pathetic, you're resorting to crying to big brother to have posts pulled.

Talk about bizarre!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You will never get through to those people.

Now Obama's 5 TRILLION in excess spending is the Republican's fault.

Talk about your low information voter.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Funny how I find myself taking Stewarts side, and the moonbats heads are exploding over the paradox of lockstep thinking being disrupted by facts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Funny how I find myself taking Stewarts side, and the moonbats heads are exploding over the paradox of lockstep thinking being disrupted by facts.

Except there were no facts in the article.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Talk about bizarre!

Thats awesome; a post about 2 liberals arguing and 12angry's response "wingnuts live in an alternate reality" LMAO!!

His inability to look critically at his party affiliates is hilarious!

Yes your prior post was so spot on it was removed.  LMAO..............

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

Except there were no facts in the article.

I guess if I write an article about it, and don't include the constitutional reference, then the constitution doesn't exist?

Facts are not limited to what might or not be in the article.

Expand your horizon beyond the typical liberal mindest.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Talk about bizarre!

So I guess that whole Constitutional thingy is only applicable to the 2nd amend?

Wow, you freakin cowards are so fvcking spineless it's pathetic.

So, the 2nd amendment requires tight, government control, but a comment about platnum coins buried in the constitution needs to be completely unfettered for any possible interpretation?

Talk about pathetic. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts