Large Corporations, Paying No Taxes

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustWords. Show JustWords's posts

Large Corporations, Paying No Taxes

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheYoungTurks#p/u/4/HndIsnCNnrY

This is just great, isn't it?

I'm not in love with TYT, or their huge slant to the left, but the message is what's important here, not the messanger.

This is outrageous.

Come on conservatives.   Zero is too high?

I thought they HATED 'tax cheats'?

It's only a matter of time before this gets really ugly, if people ever actually grasp how bad they're being fleeced.  I fear the writing on the wall.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustWords. Show JustWords's posts

Re: Large Corporations, Paying No Taxes

For those who can't or won't watch video:

http://www.truth-out.org/us-uncut-calls-out-corporate-tax-deadbeats67941

Snippets:

"The IRS estimates that individuals and corporations currently hold $5 trillion in tax haven countries. Nearly two-thirds of corporations pay no taxes at all, and the great vampire squid, Goldman Sachs, which received $10 billion dollars in taxpayer money during the bailout, negotiated their tax rate down to one percent. The entire tax haven scam costs taxpayers as much as $100 billion per year."

"Conservatives frequently cite the fact that America's corporate tax rate is 35 percent, which is higher than the average of other industrial countries, but that doesn't take into account these kinds of tax evading practices. In fact, 115 companies on the S&P 500 pay less than 20 percent in taxes, and that doesn't take into account the 37 companies, such as Citigroup and American International Group (AIG), that receive more in credits than they ultimately pay out (companies that pay less than five percent in taxes include Boeing and Amazon)."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustWords. Show JustWords's posts

In Response to Re: Large Corporations, Paying No Taxes:
    You point to conservatives but neglect the fact that its been democrats in charge of tax policy for the last 4 years, 2 of which with a dem POTUS. And as far as this conservative goes, NO, this is not ok. Ok?
    Posted by GreginMeffa

Oh come on.  You love the partisan game, clearly.

I really don't care that much either way.

I'm just responding to the general drumbeat you hear from the right about 'lower taxes'.  As if this applies.

No matter who we are, these loopholes are simply massive.

I wonder, who are the champions of closing them?  Is there anybody left who isn't on the corporate payroll?  Lord knows they've got the president by the jewels.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

Leftist definition of 'massive tax loophole':  
    Anything less than total confiscation of private wealth.

As greg said, "its been democrats in charge of tax policy for the last 4 years, 2 of which with a dem POTUS"

A flat tax would end 'loopholes' ....why dont leftists support this?

Because their real goal is higher confiscatory taxes on everyone and everything; more power to the state, less to the individual...

Ending the supposed loophole on corporations with overseas assets , may drive them totally out of the country...which then would lead to the leftists' call to take them over entirely.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustWords. Show JustWords's posts

Actually Bob, the article describes it quite nicely, all of your quirky bluster aside.

0% is ok by you?

How about you try being direct instead of going the straw-man route.

And the fact you're making excuses for this theft of our wealth is pure madness.  It's ideology taken to the height of absurdity.  So much so as to be downright unpatriotic. 

We CAN prevent this, including them 'leaving' with their toys.  Somewhere in there, you have to care more about the general welfare of the nation than your stock portfolio.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustWords. Show JustWords's posts

Oh come on.  You love the partisan game, clearly. -------------------------- Welcome aboard mate! I said I disagreed with your example.  You did not disagree with mine. Of course its partisan.  Its a politcs board!
    Posted by GreginMeffa

Fair 'nuff!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Corporate taxes are indeed at their historic lows as a share of the economy, and yet the CoC and business leaders constantly harp about tax rates.

There's a major, distinct difference between the statutory corporate tax rate vs. average tax rates.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThinkSnow99. Show ThinkSnow99's posts

No businesses (large or small) pays taxes.  Its a cost of doing business that is passed onto the consumer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustWords. Show JustWords's posts

What a bunch of excrement. Come on conservatives.   Zero is too high? then from the NY Times article meant to "expose" this: The average total tax rate for the 500 companies over the last five years — again, including federal, state, local and foreign corporate taxes — was 32.8 percent. Among those paying more than the average were Exxon Mobil , FedEx , Goldman Sachs , JPMorgan Chase , Starbucks , Wal-Mart and Walt Disney . Maybe you can explain if this is such a big deal to liberal Democrats, why didn't they do anything about it over the two years they had control of the House, Senate and Executive Branch??
    Posted by Newtster

Sure, you can get that kind of number when you mash 'em all together like that.  But now you're having a different conversation.  Certain corporations are worse than others - for example, the oil industry weilds more clout than the coffee industry.

You're cute when you're mad, btw!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustWords. Show JustWords's posts

No businesses (large or small) pays taxes.  Its a cost of doing business that is passed onto the consumer.
    Posted by ThinkSnow99

clever!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Posted by ThinkSnow99

Which, of course, makes these taxes regressive since lower income consumers end up spending a larger percentage of their incomes on the higher prices that are caused by corporate taxes.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustWords. Show JustWords's posts

SOME vs the average of ALL would be the distinction you're blurring.

Blurring federal/state/etc... details....

But feel free to make this about whatever you like, if it makes you feel better.

I'm just surprised you guys don't care about corporations who get out of paying their fair share through massive loopholes and whatnot.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

"Corporate taxes are indeed at their historic lows as a share of the economy, and yet the CoC and business leaders constantly harp about tax rates.

This is classic leftist excrement.
    Not tax rates, but tax receipts by the government are at historic lows...why?

Because Obama tanked the freaking private sector economy!
    Gawd save us from these moonbats.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

Corporate taxes are indeed at their historic lows as a share of the economy, and yet the CoC and business leaders constantly harp about tax rates. There's a major, distinct difference between the statutory corporate tax rate vs. average tax rates.
    Posted by MattyScornD

Look at states with high corporate tax rates. How are they doing as far as creating new businesses?
    Now apply it globally. Wanna lose domestic jobs raise the corporate rate of federal tax.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustWords. Show JustWords's posts

In Response to Re: Large Corporations, Paying No Taxes : Well I can see that facts are not going to be important - not that I expected it. I am not surprised that conservatives have no problem with anyone paying the minimum tax they have to which is all these companies are doing. What is surprising is that you excuse a liberal Democrat administration and a liberal Democrat Congress for doing nothing about it. That would indicate that you are not really interested in some corporation paying their "fair share" so what the hell are  you complaining about??
    Posted by Newtster

Who said I excused the administration?  I absolutely don't.  I didn't even vote for Obama.

You're a fuzzy thinker. 

This place is ridiculous.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatnow4. Show whatnow4's posts

I tell you what LEFT, eliminate all charitable deductions and then they will pay taxes.  Just much less than they are donating.

Oh ya, and get that legislation past charitable organizations.  They will love that. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JustWords. Show JustWords's posts

I'm gonna man up and admit the thread title was misleading.  I hope the Forbes article I linked is more clear.

I still think we have a problem here, however.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts