Law review article on diversity: "Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

Law review article on diversity: "Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995."

Dems in Mass., better get yourself a new candidate, who doesnt lie. It is only getting worse.
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/05/fordham-piece-called-warren-harvard-laws-first-woman-123526.html

"Elizabeth Warren
    has pushed back hard on questions about a Harvard Crimson piece in 1996 that described her as Native American, saying she had no idea the school where she taught law was billing her that way and saying it never came up during her hiring a year earlier, which others have backed up.

But a 1997 Fordham Law Review piece described her as Harvard Law School's "first woman of color," based, according to the notes at the bottom of the story, on a "telephone interview with Michael Chmura, News Director, Harvard Law (Aug. 6, 1996)."

The mention was in the middle of a lengthy and heavily-annotated Fordham piece on diversity and affirmative action and women. The title of the piece, by Laura Padilla, was "Intersectionality and positionality: Situating women of color in the affirmative action dialogue."

The description of her as a minority is coming from the same person - Chmura - whose comments to the Crimson sparked the original story about her heritage, and Warren's camp argued it's old news.

She has said she had no idea Harvard was billing her that way or how the school found out that her family claims Native American heritage.  She learned of it first from the Herald story, she said.

And it's possible Warren didn't see the Fordham story.

But the Fordham piece takes the description of Warren by Harvard Law beyond the boundaries of the Massachusetts school. Warren had described herself as a minority on a law professors' listing for several years, ending in 1995. She has said she wanted to meet people like herself, but stopped when she realized that's not what the listing was for.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: Law review article on diversity: "Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995."

There is no evidence that she is 1/32 cherokee.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Law review article on diversity: "Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995."

First, the idea that Scott Brown would use this to impugn Ms. Warren or her record says much more about him than it ever could about her.

The Harvard Law School itself, including prominent faculty, have stated ad nauseum how Elizabeth's Warren's credentials are impeccable and that she is an unquestioned expert in her field of the law.  Those are the critical terms of her tenure.

Her achievements in this regard are clear and should be unfettered from this non-story.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In Response to Re: Law review article on diversity: "Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995.":
    [QUOTE] There is no evidence that she is 1/32 cherokee.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

Correct...but there is evidence that she is not even 1/1,000,000 Cherokee

She should be ashamed of her self claiming to Harvard she's a minority.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Her achievements in this regard are clear and should be unfettered from this non-story.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you would have the same non-story opinion had it been Brown. Right?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Law review article on diversity: "Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995.":
    [QUOTE]Her achievements in this regard are clear and should be unfettered from this non-story. Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE] I'm sure you would have the same non-story opinion had it been Brown. Right?
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

Yes, I would.

But it's not at all clear that he would be qualified for the position.  Maybe he would.

And I would say the same about anything otherwise untoward in Brown's past.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingmarsh. Show Hingmarsh's posts

It may be a non-story to some, but not this woman:

http://www.pollysgranddaughter.com/2012/05/letter-to-elizaeth-warren.html

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Law review article on diversity: "Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995." : Correct...but there is evidence that she is not even 1/1,000,000 Cherokee She should be ashamed of her self claiming to Harvard she's a minority.
    Posted by newman09[/QUOTE]

But, she is a minority.  The minority is liberals claiming to be something that they are not.  Wait a minute...that's not a minority either.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]It may be a non-story to some, but not this woman: http://www.pollysgranddaughter.com/2012/05/letter-to-elizaeth-warren.html
    Posted by Hingmarsh[/QUOTE]

And this is supposed to mean something...?

I mean, I know how many on the right pay no heed whatsoever to the inherent rights of oppressed peoples, so it's a little rich when they get all huffy in defense of historical birthrights they've ignored for so long.

Or maybe we can talk about how people exploit their perceived cultural status every single day in ignoble ways....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingmarsh. Show Hingmarsh's posts

[QUOTE]Or maybe we can talk about how people exploit their perceived cultural status every single day in ignoble ways....  

So you agree that Warren was trying to exploit her claimed cultural status in an ignoble way?  Atta boy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Law review article on diversity: "Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995." : So you agree that Warren was trying to exploit her claimed cultural status in an ignoble way?  Atta boy.

Naw, the progressive Matty is just starting his usual low key buildup,  to where  he snarkily proves to himself and the world that bringing up this issue is ...wait for it.... "racist." Where all his arguments end up, eventually.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

Really..I think this was a foolish move on Warren's part, especially if it comes out that she does not indeed have any Cherokee heritage.

Foolish decision because now, instead of talking about her qualifications, we are talking about her bloodline. I guess you could argue that it is reflective of politics these days..which no doubt is the reason more and more people are checking out of the political process.

I think it's probably going to cost her the election..but then again, she probably would have had a hard time beating Brown anyhow.

On the other hand..it could work out for her. After all, Obama was able to overcome all the "discussion" about his heritage.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]Really..I think this was a foolish move on Warren's part, especially if it comes out that she does not indeed have any Cherokee heritage.   Foolish decision because now, instead of talking about her qualifications, we are talking about her bloodline. I guess you could argue that it is reflective of politics these days..which no doubt is the reason more and more people are checking out of the political process. I think it's probably going to cost her the election..but then again, she probably would have had a hard time beating Brown anyhow. On the other hand..it could work out for her. After all, Obama was able to overcome all the "discussion" about his heritage.
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

See a similarity in this discussion about the "background" of Democrat candidates. Focusing on how they are "different" from others? Pretty vile stuff. All good for white conservatives though...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

Liz Warren 'cooked up' her heritage way back in 1984...that doesnt jibe with her story, does it?

"Elizabeth Warren was touting her claim of Cherokee heritage as early as 1984, according to a cookbook titled “Pow Wow Chow” edited by her cousin that includes Warren’s recipes for a savory crab omelet and spicy barbecued beans.

The cookbook, edited by Warren’s cousin Candy Rowsey, is a compilation of “special recipes passed down through the Five Tribes families,” according to the introduction in a copy obtained by the Herald.

Warren, who has been under fire for claiming Indian lineage despite a lack of documentation, is identified as “Elizabeth Warren, Cherokee” under each of five recipes she contributes in the cookbook, published in 1984 by the Five Civilized Tribes Museum located in Muskogee. Warren is not listed as an official member of the Cherokee tribe and she has been unable thus far to document her claim of any Native American heritage.
    [...]
    News of Warren’s Cherokee recipes comes as outraged members of the tribe — including a Warren supporter — demanded she release her employment records following reports that she has no documentation to prove her Native American ancestry...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Law review article on diversity: "Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995." : See a similarity in this discussion about the "background" of Democrat candidates. Focusing on how they are "different" from others? Pretty vile stuff. All good for white conservatives though...
    Posted by Reubenhop[/QUOTE]
    Amazingly clueless. Democrats are obsessed with race, ethnicity, gender, and run for office by pitting one against the other. 
    It is all about beancounting , victimization, race baiting and pandering... 

So a "lily white" Democrat officeholder is shown to have brazenly lied to take advantage of affirmative action programs, by falsely claiming Cherokee heritage, and it is "vile stuff " to raise the issue?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Law review article on diversity: "Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995." : Amazingly clueless. Democrats are obsessed with race, ethnicity, gender, and run for office by pitting one against the other.  It is all about beancounting , victimization, race baiting and pandering...  So a "lily white" Democrat officeholder is shown to have brazenly lied to take advantage of affirmative action programs, by falsely claiming Cherokee heritage, and it is "vile stuff " to raise the issue?
    Posted by BetheKoolaid[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is vile, looking into the empty soul of progressivism.  What else can you say about a political philosophy that panders to "victimhood" and penalties for success?

Well, off to put gas and my car and pay my mortgage.  Obama once again didn't come through on that promise.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Law review article on diversity: "Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995." : So you agree that Warren was trying to exploit her claimed cultural status in an ignoble way?  Atta boy.

Yes, but this is so common that it's like driving through a yellow light; nobody is immune and everyone has done.

In the same way that Mitt Romney exploits his status as a wealthy, elite, white man...

...or Scott Brown exploits his good looks or his likewise modest upbringing.

None of these examples matter much except in which they obscure the competence they bring to the job and their accomplishments therein, and in all three instances, that is not the case.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE] Naw, the progressive Matty is just starting his usual low key buildup,  to where  he snarkily proves to himself and the world that bringing up this issue is ...wait for it.... "racist." Where all his arguments end up, eventually.
    Posted by BetheKoolaid[/QUOTE]

No, it's not racist...

...but even my race-baiting arguments are miles more developed than yours ever will be.

Your own chutzpah is in failing to realize that not all conservatives and republicans are the upstanding, straight shooters you think they are.

Or are you trying to forget, for example, the way that W. publically, cravenly exploited his cushy, rich boy "service" as a means to bolster his national security bona fides...?

Why don't you smell what you're shoveling...??

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Law review article on diversity: "Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995." : Yes, but this is so common that it's like driving through a yellow light; nobody is immune and everyone has done. In the same way that Mitt Romney exploits his status as a wealthy, elite, white man... ...or Scott Brown exploits his good looks or his likewise modest upbringing. None of these examples matter much except in which they obscure the competence they bring to the job and their accomplishments therein, and in all three instances, that is not the case.

Brown and Romney exploit what they have; while it appears that Warren was trying to exploit what she doesn't have. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Law review article on diversity: "Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995." : Brown and Romney exploit what they have; while it appears that Warren was trying to exploit what she doesn't have. 
    Posted by massmoderateJoe[/QUOTE]

In the most minute way possible, and as it turned out, unnecessary.  She's not a renown expert in tax law because of that slip-up; she's an expert in spite of it, which is what I'm talking about.

I was told by my mom that I have Irish ancestors.  I have no idea who they were, where they lived or even how irish they were.  If I use that bit of hearsay data to converse with someone at a pub or during a client interview, and that leads to a business opportunity for my firm, then I'm also exploiting a heritage which may or may not be true.

Ultimately though, it doesn't matter as long as I do my job, please the client and fix their problem.

This article is also hearsay, in that sense.

As I said elsewhere, this is all pretty much bull***t.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingmarsh. Show Hingmarsh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Law review article on diversity: "Harvard Law School hired its first woman of color, Elizabeth Warren, in 1995." : Yes, but this is so common that it's like driving through a yellow light; nobody is immune and everyone has done. In the same way that Mitt Romney exploits his status as a wealthy, elite, white man... ...or Scott Brown exploits his good looks or his likewise modest upbringing. None of these examples matter much except in which they obscure the competence they bring to the job and their accomplishments therein, and in all three instances, that is not the case.

I agree but I don't recall anyone linking this to Warren's abilities or accomplishments, just her judgement.  I personally don't give a rat's heinie that she did what she did because her views and beliefs are enough for me to not want her elected.

Sections
Shortcuts