Leftist Hollywood successfully blacklists 'Zero Dark Thirty'

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Leftist Hollywood successfully blacklists 'Zero Dark Thirty'

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Having not seen the movie, I can't say...

...but I have seen commentary in equal numbers on both sides of that assertion.

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

But in my mind, it's difficult to fault the creators for wanting to tackle an issue head-on. ...  I think I would more insulted by an attempt to gloss over it than to present  another viewpoint.

"Glorify" may have been the wrong word. I agree it's better to show than gloss over. I was aiming at the film's reportedly playing up the utility of the torture-obtained evidence, when those in charge of getting the intelligence says it wasn't particularly useful because any valid information was duplicative of what they already confirmed elsewhere.

Point being that it's still just a movie.  I'm secure enough in my opinions not to worry about a movie influencing them too much, and yet, where art is concerned, I try to keep as open a mind as possible.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Mmm. I tend to think that when one holds something forth as a recounting of an important historical event, one owes more duty to the truth than if its a film "based on" something.

To me, the point has nothing to do with being secure in my opinion.

But is that the case here?  Are the filmmakers going on first-hand accounts from people who were in the torture room?  Are they portraying the events on-screen as fact?  Because I'm not getting that impression, and even if they were, the dramatization of it is still one step removed from the truth.

I saw "Lincoln" recently, which itself is based on "Team Of Rivals", which is in turn based on some historical accounts and some historical renderings of situations in which noone else was present.  I don't expect all of it to adhere 100% to the truth, because that's impossible.  It's a movie.  Good one, too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to 12-Angry-Men's comment:

It's a fool's errand to talk about a fictional movie as if it's actual reality.

Maybe liberals should take their own advice.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Mmm. I tend to think that when one holds something forth as a recounting of an important historical event, one owes more duty to the truth than if its a film "based on" something.

To me, the point has nothing to do with being secure in my opinion.

But is that the case here?  Are the filmmakers going on first-hand accounts from people who were in the torture room?  Are they portraying the events on-screen as fact?  Because I'm not getting that impression, and even if they were, the dramatization of it is still one step removed from the truth.

I saw "Lincoln" recently, which itself is based on "Team Of Rivals", which is in turn based on some historical accounts and some historical renderings of situations in which noone else was present.  I don't expect all of it to adhere 100% to the truth, because that's impossible.  It's a movie.  Good one, too.

Case in point: President Lincoln's voice.  Some accounts say it was kind of high, so that's the way DD-L played it.  But nobody knows.

"Good one, too."  

+1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"But is that the case here?  Are the filmmakers going on first-hand accounts from people who were in the torture room?  Are they portraying the events on-screen as fact?  Because I'm not getting that impression, and even if they were, the dramatization of it is still one step removed from the truth."

Hmmm...yet any criticism of the partisan crap 'dramatization' movie "Game Change" is frowned upon by liberals,  because of course to libs the over-the-top characterization of Sarah Palin as a psychotic lunatic is based on indisputable fact and undeniable truth. Despite the fact John McCain says it is crap.

Wins all kind of awards, due to its partisan bent, not because of any other reason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

Seems every big historic, politically-charged incident gets one of these docudramas.  (As opposed to a documentary.)  And they all are characterizations, whether they try to be accurate or not.  It's why they are done and attract the big bucks.

The first docudrama I paid attention to was the TV one about the boat (name?) captured in the Gulf of Tonkin.  Was it the first one that coined the term?  It was a play, a portrayal, not a documentary.  The crew was shown as strong and defiant.  Giving that familiar sign (which was true) in the communists' propaganda photo.  But when the guys were released, they were like Mayor Menino the day he got transferred to the Spaulding.  More like Raggedy Andy.  Leaving you wondering - in both cases - what really went before.  

So what really happened in the campaign to get bin Laden vs. what was in the movie?  Think all the tradecraft was displayed?

I think, and have seen many others write, that if you loved waterboarding before the movie, you loved it coming out.  If you hated it, you hate it still.  And it's some of the ones who love it who say they don't think it should have been shown.  

To the OP: On which side does that put the movie - and "Hollywood"?

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

Or could be because the movie was terrible. At least that was my take on it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In response to NO MO O's comment:

In response to BilltheKat's comment:

Is a blacklist anything like the political "KILL" list Obama carries with him ?

If this list truly does exist, why are you still here?

I'm an illegal minority and the Messiah needs my vote... I just take all the money and live for free.

I bet you wish you could declare minorities "illegal".  All the problems of America would be solved and people like you would be respected.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

"But is that the case here?  Are the filmmakers going on first-hand accounts from people who were in the torture room?  Are they portraying the events on-screen as fact?  Because I'm not getting that impression, and even if they were, the dramatization of it is still one step removed from the truth."

Hmmm...yet any criticism of the partisan crap 'dramatization' movie "Game Change" is frowned upon by liberals,  because of course to libs the over-the-top characterization of Sarah Palin as a psychotic lunatic is based on indisputable fact and undeniable truth. Despite the fact John McCain says it is crap.

Wins all kind of awards, due to its partisan bent, not because of any other reason.

That you don't see the difference doesn't surprise me at all.

It's all about the source material.  "Game Change" was a muckraking book turned into a muckraking TV movie.  "ZD30" is purported to have been made with direct info from military sources.

Both are dramatizations.  (I haven't seen either.)  But it depends on the nature and quality of the criticism, doesn't it?  You can agree with Sarah Palin's views and still like "Game Change" as a film, can't you?

Look, I know you feel endlessly persecuted, but making up these stories and silly victim scenarios for the right-wing just doesn't work.  It just makes you look like a whiny pu&&y.

But if conservatives think they are out-of-step with the various tastemakers and gainsayers in entertainment, then you are correct.  But that's conservatives' fault for not making their case in a way that people want to watch.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

In response to BilltheKat's comment:

Is a blacklist anything like the political "KILL" list Obama carries with him ?

If this list truly does exist, why are you still here?

I'm an illegal minority and the Messiah needs my vote... I just take all the money and live for free.

You're SO funny! That whole "Messiah" meme NEVER gets old!

No, it doesn't.

BTW:  Are you seething in anger now that TWO courts have told Obama that he has exceeded his constituional authority?  It must make you so mad to see the Messiah challenged by mere judges.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

A dramatization being taken as proof of actual facts in reality... 

I agree but, no one ever took those Michael Moore parody's as factual or use then as political ammo did they?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

BTW:  Are you seething in anger now that TWO courts have told Obama that he has exceeded his constituional authority?  It must make you so mad to see the Messiah challenged by mere judges.

"u mad bro?"

Why does the right seem to place so much emphasis on asinine statements of emotional projection? 

The hard truth in a question seems assinine to the bearer of shame!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

And then, it's up to the audience to decide for themselves.

The trouble is low information audiences.

A dramatization being taken as proof of actual facts in reality... 

Not much to be done about that, I'm afraid.  Unanimosity is rare.

20. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts