Liberal program "Head Start" now scientifically certified as a $180 billion massive failure. Time for more "investment"!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: Liberal program

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to tvoter's comment:

just throw a weak slander out there

LOL. Where's your debate material? All you're doing is lying. Actually it isn't lying because to lie, you'd have to know what the truth actually is. You don't because all you've got stuffed between the ears is Republican propoganda about the supposed evil poor people.

If people critical of welfare recipients spent a year of their lives trying to live on food stamps and a cash pittance they might have some insight into how desperately people actually want to get off welfare. Alas, luckily for the privileged and unhappily for the poor, this will never happen.

So the rightwing myths continue.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Since the OP is using a wallpaper brush to do pinstriping, let's call out his motivation for what it is:

Conservatives like him and others here have literally no concept of what is correctly termed the "working poor", as mentioned here, people with few skills who work low-paying jobs in the faint hopes of rising up through years of thankless labor into the middle class.

They don't understand that 50% of the people who live below the poverty line DO work, often full-time, often with little or no benefits, no time off or sick time - all things which contribute to any other working person's total compensation.  And many of them are also parents.

These are realities they are ignoring in their myopic (and confused) goal to "slash pork", without realizing that "pork", for better or worse, is sometimes exactly how bills become law and how lawmakers are able to deliver badly needed services to their constituents.

In the end, those on the bottom of the barrel are the ones who suffer, who fail to be heard, who slip through the cracks and resort to crime, drugs, gangs...anything to make them feel valued by their families and their communities.

Criticizing Head Start as a "failure" is a) vilifying the poor who depend on the program, b) elitist, and c) beside the point.  There are, as mentioned, thousands of private sector solutions for parents who can afford them.  For the rest, the OP says, "let them eat cake".

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to Newtster's comment:

Criticizing Head Start as a "failure" is a) vilifying the poor who depend on the program, b) elitist, and c) beside the point.  There are, as mentioned, thousands of private sector solutions for parents who can afford them.  For the rest, the OP says, "let them eat cake".

So when there is no difference between kids that go through the Head Start program and those that don't when they start the first grade, how exactly does that benefit ANYONE???

Oh it makes goofball moonbats feel good, like they are doing something for someone. Good for you. Waste billions an PRETEND you are doing something useful.

Do you actually CARE about the people you say you want to help? Or is it more about YOU and how selfish you are?

Again, that's not the case here.  Head Start IS better than nothing.  Whether it's better than any myriad number of private day care centers simply cannot be determined by the facts at-hand.

And AGAIN, one benefit not measured here is that parents get a safe place to put their kids while they go out and work to feed, clothe and shelter those same kids.  Like it or not, that service has value.

Look, there could very well be issues with how the program is run, and there could be corresponding solutions to make it more efficient.  I'm not disputing that at all.  (If you have some ideas, then say so.)

But trashing the whole program over a small piece of data is foolish and, worse, aggressively targets working poor communities.

Your argument (and that of the OP) is reduced to class warfare from the top down.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to NO MO O's comment:

In response to FaolanofEssex's comment:

They cant wait because it's free day care!

Which then allows them to participate in the economy rather than staying home with the kid. Those without trust funds often cannot afford nannies.

If the program isn't showing any meaningful cognitive gains, then it should jettison that part of it and simply become free day care for the disadvantaged. Simply make active work a requirement to participate.

You really think these mothers have any interest in participating in the economy?

Geepers.. that means .... (shudder).. working !!! are you nuts ?

Get real.

You are nothing but a troll who knows nothing what you are talking about. My nephew did 2 years of Head Start. At the time, my sister was working her a** off at McDonalds. She was lucky enough to be working full time there. Some weeks 50 or 60 hours. I bet she worked harder then you ever worked in your life. For crap pay. So losers like you can fill your face with 50 cent cheeseburgers. Don't dare imply she didn't participate in the economy.

I applaud and salute them and you.

I submit they are the rare exception.

You're flat wrong.  They are far more numerous than you realize.

The cheats and layabouts are the minority, not the majority.

Until you understand that, you can't be impartial.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from FaolanofEssex. Show FaolanofEssex's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

They cant wait because it's free day care!

Which then allows them to participate in the economy rather than staying home with the kid. Those without trust funds often cannot afford nannies.

If the program isn't showing any meaningful cognitive gains, then it should jettison that part of it and simply become free day care for the disadvantaged. Simply make active work a requirement to participate.

You really think these mothers have any interest in participating in the economy?

Geepers.. that means .... (shudder).. working !!! are you nuts ?

Get real.

You are nothing but a troll who knows nothing what you are talking about. My nephew did 2 years of Head Start. At the time, my sister was working her a** off at McDonalds. She was lucky enough to be working full time there. Some weeks 50 or 60 hours. I bet she worked harder then you ever worked in your life. For crap pay. So losers like you can fill your face with 50 cent cheeseburgers. Don't dare imply she didn't participate in the economy.

I applaud and salute them and you.

I submit they are the rare exception.

You're flat wrong.  They are far more numerous than you realize.

The cheats and layabouts are the minority, not the majority.

Until you understand that, you can't be impartial.

And here is how dense the trolls really are! With a bit of help from Google I discovered that there is a work or training requirement for parents to receive child care - unless you are the parent of a disabled kid or a foster parent.

Next.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Meanwhile a large number of these 'layabouts' live in red states and vote republican.  They rant about government benefits that they themselves currently receive, and vote for Know Nothings who would decimate programs like Medicare and Social Security that they would someday benefit from.

These people gleefully saw off the branch they're sitting on, and dare the pointy headed librul elite to stop them.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

And here is how dense the trolls really are! With a bit of help from Google I discovered that there is a work or training requirement for parents to receive child care - unless you are the parent of a disabled kid or a foster parent.

Next.

Right, but the fact that there IS a requirement only reinforces their view that it's being flouted left and right and nobody is paying attention.

If they care so much, they should go down there and see for themselves what the conditions are like.

Heck, my cousin had to quit her teaching job and stay home, because they could not afford day care for three small children.  And she STILL has to work nights to make ends meet.  

But NO, destroy Head Start...that will help matters. <eye roll>

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Well you don't really expect the F'ing GOVERNMENT to crack down on these blood suckers.. it would mean fewer jobs for them?  Vested interests .. they are all in bed.  

Take a ride to Lawrence or Roxbury sometime. I speak from experience.

ie: 19,000 (YES F'ING THOUSAND) voter enrollment forms returned to the state !!!

ie: drug dealers busted but each had multiple EBT cards with different names

Write a book on how to play govt programs... you will be rich. You will also have to publish in luntiple languages

I grew up in Lawrence.  I know it pretty well and likely a lot better than you.

Which is why I think you don't know what you're talking about.  

What you're describing is just a conspiracy theory with little basis in fact, much less the knowledge of why things are the way they are in places like Lawrence, Roxbury and Springfield.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

As I said, Social service pork !  By the public sector bureaucracy, for the public sector bureacracy.

"Head Start, a preschool program for low-income kids has been a spectacular success, not for kids, but for teachers and teachers' unions."

Please consider Miami-Dade County seeks to unload Head Start program, salaries

This is Florida, but magnify that by 50 states. A program that fails kids but rewards bureaucrats with fat salaries and lifetime jobs.

For more than four decades, Miami-Dade County officials have managed Head Start, the storied preschool program for children from low-income families. But the county now wants out — and “generous” salaries are partly to blame.

On average, Miami-Dade paid its Head Start teachers $76,860 in salary and fringe benefits in 2011, county records show. That’s about 90 percent higher than the second highest-paying Head Start provider in the county, Catholic Charities, which paid its teachers an average of $40,418 in salary and benefits.

On the administrative side, 17 county Head Start staffers made more than $100,000 in salary and benefits.

Last week, the county submitted paperwork to offload much of the Head Start program to three local agencies: the Miami-Dade school system, Easter Seals of South Florida and the YWCA of Greater Miami-Dade.

But the plan has been met with resistance from some parents and politicians, who say the shake-up would hurt the current Head Start staffers.

About 400 county employees would face the prospect of either losing their jobs or accepting substantial pay cuts if the new agencies hire them.

“You’re talking about great people who worked with kids for their entire lives with the county and now we’re saying, ‘We can do it cheaper,’?” said Evelio Torres, president and CEO of Early Learning Coalition of Miami-Dade/Monroe. “You’re talking about people who are trying to pay their mortgages and support a family.”

Head Start was created in 1964 as part of President Lyndon Johnson’s Great Society campaign. The program provides free, full-day preschool and social services for low-income children.

Head Start has been a consistent money-loser for the county, in part because Miami-Dade pays its Head Start employees much higher salaries and better benefits than any other local providers, records show.

Last year, the average Head Start teacher on the county payroll made more than triple the $19,441 in salary and benefits given to Head Start teachers at Paradise Christian, Miami-Dade’s lowest-paying Head Start provider.

The county’s highest paid Head Start employee was director Jane McQueen, who received $188,624 in salary and benefits....

(Why cant she donate most of her salary to "the kids" ?)

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

2010:

"Fraud,” “deceit,” and “exploitation.”  Those words were used this week at a hearing about the Head Start program–the federal government’s long-standing preschool program for low-income children. An investigation carried out by the Government Accountability Office (GAO), revealed several cases of underreporting of income and the falsification of addresses by Head Start employees in order to “qualify” children for the program. Head Start grantees receive money based on the number of children they serve.

As reported in an Education and Labor committee hearing on May 18, reports of two fraudulent cases lead the GAO to conduct an undercover investigation in which they attempted to enroll 15 fraudulent children. In over half of these cases Head Start employees encouraged families to misrepresent their income, falsify family income on enrollment forms, or make claims that a working parent was instead unemployed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

If people critical of welfare recipients spent a year of their lives trying to live on food stamps and a cash pittance they might have some insight into how desperately people actually want to get off welfare. Alas, luckily for the privileged and unhappily for the poor, this will never happen.

So the rightwing myths continue.

Biotch I spent 3-1/2 years working full time minimum wage job while going to school 5 hours a day 5 days a week and longer on weekends to do research and assignments with 2 kids in diapers and a wife working a minimum wage job while we paid day care every week!!

I then worked at a little better paying job 60-80 hours a week for 10 years to pay the student loans back with interest!!

No sleep, no life, no whinning; just working and sacrificing so, that one day things could be better!!!

I didn't ask for a fvcking thing and the govt didn't give me fvcking thing!!

I am a better man for it!!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to Newtster's comment:

How much money gets wasted on such duplication of effort? You morons think that because we complain about money being wasted on programs that don't work conservatives are just wingnuts that want people to die in the streets and work in sweatshops. Why are you so limited in your ability to think? Why is everything black and white with you self-appointed smartest people in the world?

Ranting at shadows again? Poor fellow. Since you're clearly trying to converse with someone else, I'll leave you to it.

lol you keep promising to go away and never do!

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Biotch I spent 3-1/2 years working full time minimum wage job while going to school 5 hours a day 5 days a week and longer on weekends to do research and assignments with 2 kids in diapers and a wife working a minimum wage job while we paid day care every week!!

I then worked at a little better paying job 60-80 hours a week for 10 years to pay the student loans back with interest!!

No sleep, no life, no whinning; just working and sacrificing so, that one day things could be better!!!

I didn't ask for a fvcking thing and the govt didn't give me fvcking thing!!

I am a better man for it!!

And, what, the people you disagree with didn't work their @sses off? The fact that you claim to have worked a lot for a period means that poor people don't work? Means that people on welfare aren't trying to get off welfare?

I slept 32 hours a week in law school, and that's rounding up. I don't wave that around to try to dispute someone's point.

Username was talking about people trying to get off welfare. The single mother whose husband ran away, working two full time jobs and a part time job and then loses them in an ecomomic crisis created by "job creators" who got greedy.....

I guess we're different. The fact that I literally got 4.5 hours of sleep a night and was literally hallucinating by the end of each semester of sleep deprivation doesn't strike me as proof that poor people must be lazy. Having chosen to devote my career to representing them, I rather know the opposite to be true.

Something about your claims smells funny. Don't know what it is. 

Dont keep being pi55y; you know I responding to your buddies comment that I dont understand what it 's like to walk in a poor persons shoes!

Im not talking about those that REALLY need assistance and you know it.

I have been poor and i worked dead end jobs while bettering myself if, it wasnt for garden vegetables we would have been much worse off.

I am middle class now and getting less because our govt would rather waste more instead of even trying to reform wasteful programs that cost us billions!!

I could not care less what you think or say about me; I earned mine and I understand the good that comes from working hard and never giving up; A mentality that IMHO is sorely missing in the USA today!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Say, what exactly is our exit strategy on this "war on poverty" thing?