Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi is dead. yea Obama

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

Re: Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi is dead. yea Obama

Shouldn't the congratulations go to NATO? SNICKER

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi is dead. yea Obama:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi is dead. yea Obama : Funny, I thought, as all Americans did, that France and England led this NATO mission and we simply provided drones, air cover, and some (mostly lied about and never admitted to), CIA "boots on the ground".  Hmmm.... The best thing Obama did here (IMO) was stay out of the way.
    Posted by jmel[/QUOTE]

They led the mission via NATO, of which the U.S. is the strongest, most prominent member.  They also have the most invested in Libya (hence the concern).

We're talking about foreign policy viz. POTUS.  I give the entire administration credit, not just Obama.  But as usual, he takes the lumps for successes and failures alike.  That doesn't mean this whole thing wasn't highly coordinated OR subject to intense criticism, like everything else he does.

The only victory, as I see it, is the destruction of yet another myth - weakness - perpetuated by the right that really holds no water in light of the facts. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi is dead. yea Obama : Yah, I know it doesn't make much sense.  I just think that progressives always attribute the victory to the wrong person, that's all.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

Just like conservatives always attribute the failure to the wrong person...??

The rightwing's "messiah" meme is losing its lustre...but self-perpetuating fantasies are like that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi is dead. yea Obama : Actually, Obama was dragged into the Libyan action by Secretary Clinton.  If Obama didn't get on board Clinton was going to quit over strategic differences and enter the race a few months later.  So Obama was smart in averting a battle he knew he'd lose, smart guy.
    Posted by massmoderateJoe[/QUOTE]

That's merely hearsay and not squared by the facts.  There's no indication Clinton had any intention of running.  The rest is policy deliberation.

But speaking of Obama's gal Clinton, what does it say that W's SecState was meeting 'cordially' with the dictator only a few years ago...?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi is dead. yea Obama : That's merely hearsay and not squared by the facts.  There's no indication Clinton had any intention of running.  The rest is policy deliberation. But speaking of Obama's gal Clinton, what does it say that W's SecState was meeting 'cordially' with the dictator only a few years ago...?
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Nothing. What does it say that Obama met with his a few years ago?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi is dead. yea Obama : That's merely hearsay and not squared by the facts.  There's no indication Clinton had any intention of running.  The rest is policy deliberation. But speaking of Obama's gal Clinton, what does it say that W's SecState was meeting 'cordially' with the dictator only a few years ago...?

I know you atleast acknowledged by omission that it was Clinton who dragged Obama to the Libyan action.  As for the strategy of her trying to run speculation yes, was it true maybe but we won't know until Hillary's book comes out in 2013.

Well we do know that Qaddafi had the hots for Condi. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

Obamas doing more to kill the terrorists than Bush ever did. Bush just sent our guys over to take hits and give a boatload of money to Cheneys Haliburton, then left it up to Obama to figure it out. Well, he's figuring it out and laying the groundwork to end our BS involvement over there. 

The wingnuts are blinded by their hatred for Obama and cant see the forest through the trees. Must succk for them to see a lib make more progress than a dopey neocon. 

‘I truly am not that concerned about him’, said President George W Bush on 13 March 2002, after being asked the million-dollar question ‘where is bin Laden?’ once too often 5. ‘Deep in my heart I know the man is on the run, if he’s alive at all’, said Bush, brushing bin Laden off as ‘a person who has now been marginalized’ 6.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi is dead. yea Obama : I know you atleast acknowledged by omission that it was Clinton who dragged Obama to the Libyan action.  As for the strategy of her trying to run speculation yes, was it true maybe but we won't know until Hillary's book comes out in 2013. Well we do know that Qaddafi had the hots for Condi. 

I acknowledged nothing.  You're mis-characterizing a decision process by which I can only HOPE Obama considered every possible risk before pulling the trigger.

You're arguing in bad faith for no good reason.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhichOnesPink. Show WhichOnesPink's posts

Obamas doing more to kill the terrorists than Bush ever did. Bush just sent our guys over to take hits and give a boatload of money to Cheneys Haliburton, then left it up to Obama to figure it out. Well, he's figuring it out and laying the groundwork to end our BS involvement over there. 

The wingnuts are blinded by their hatred for Obama and cant see the forest through the trees. Must succk for them to see a lib make more progress than a dopey neocon. 
    posted by billthecat

Hahaha....says the guy blinded by HIS hatred for conservatives...

And to say that more terrorists have been killed during Obama's admin than were killed during Bush's is...well....beyond idiotic

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi is dead. yea Obama : Just like conservatives always attribute the failure to the wrong person...?? The rightwing's "messiah" meme is losing its lustre...but self-perpetuating fantasies are like that.

Face it, all politicians are bad.  But, some are worse than others.

On the whole Obama killing quadaffi thing:

French planes
    Libyian fighters
    One U.S. drone under French control

Obama?

Well, that' sjust the press trying their best to do what they can for the Re-elect Obama campaign.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi is dead. yea Obama : I acknowledged nothing.  

I'm shocked, but methinks thou does protest too much.........

I remember reading other stories how Clinton and Rice were instrumental in Obama pivoting on his position.  The others were more pointed but this is best a found in 5 minutes..

some key paragraphs

"In the case of Libya, they just threw out their playbook," said Steve Clemons, the foreign policy chief at the New America Foundation. "The fact that Obama pivoted on a dime shows that the White House is flying without a strategy and that we have a reactive presidency right now and not a strategic one."

When Clinton met with the G8 foreign ministers on Monday, she didn't lay out whether the United States had a favored response to the unfolding crisis in Libya, leaving her European counterparts completely puzzled. She met Libyan opposition leader Mahmoud Jibril in Paris but declined to respond positively to his request for assistance. This all gave the impression that Clinton was resisting intervention. In fact, she supported intervention, State Department official said, but had to wait until the Tuesday night meeting so that she didn't get out ahead of U.S. policy

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi is dead. yea Obama : I'm shocked, but methinks thou does protest too much......... I remember reading other stories how Clinton and Rice were instrumental in Obama pivoting on his position.  The others were more pointed but this is best a found in 5 minutes.. http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/03/18/how_obama_turned_on_a_dime_toward_war some key paragraphs "In the case of Libya, they just threw out their playbook," said  Steve Clemons , the foreign policy chief at the New America Foundation. "The fact that Obama pivoted on a dime shows that the White House is flying without a strategy and that we have a reactive presidency right now and not a strategic one." ... When Clinton  met with the G8 foreign ministers  on Monday, she didn't lay out whether the United States had a favored response to the unfolding crisis in Libya, leaving her European counterparts  completely puzzled . She met Libyan opposition leader  Mahmoud Jibril  in Paris but declined to respond positively to his request for assistance. This all gave the impression that Clinton was resisting intervention. In fact, she supported intervention, State Department official said, but had to wait until the Tuesday night meeting so that she didn't get out ahead of U.S. policy

No, just lots of opinions here,

I don't know why you insist on trying to make the guy look bad even when he does well.  Disagree with the policies if you must, but stop making bad faith judgments which have no material or logical support.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi is dead. yea Obama : No, just lots of opinions here, I don't know why you insist on trying to make the guy look bad even when he does well.  Disagree with the policies if you must, but stop making bad faith judgments which have no material or logical support.

I'm not sure why you feel compelled to defend every aspect of his presidency its a bad faith judgment which has no material or logical support.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi is dead. yea Obama : I'm not sure why you feel compelled to defend every aspect of his presidency its a bad faith judgment which has no material or logical support.

I'm not...I'm defending his policies, many of which have worked or at least provided a net positive benefit to the nation as a whole (and not just dems). I'm not questioning his motives or demeaning his character like you are...under your pretense of moderation.

If the Repubs had accomplished anything in the past year, they might deserve defending too. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]I am sure if things had gone bad in libya, skeeter would have been blaming it all on obama, and there would be no mention of french planes or libyian fighters on his behalf. Make no mistake, if Obama had not taken the lead on this, there would be no french fighters. Obama's use of drones saved lives and increased intel.  Too bad bush43 refused to use drones on the same level. I also remember many blasting Obama for announcing the Iraq withdrawel date.  That seems to be going well.  The biggest opponent of the withdrawel date was my friend Palin....I guess once she got her passport a few years ago, she became an expert on foreign policy.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Two things:

I sure would blame it on Obama, he's the one who committed our forces to the effort.

Turned out good?  So, you think turning Libya over to Islamic radicals is a win?????

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]I am sure if things had gone bad in libya, skeeter would have been blaming it all on obama, and there would be no mention of french planes or libyian fighters on his behalf. Make no mistake, if Obama had not taken the lead on this, there would be no french fighters. Obama's use of drones saved lives and increased intel.  Too bad bush43 refused to use drones on the same level. I also remember many blasting Obama for announcing the Iraq withdrawel date.  That seems to be going well.  The biggest opponent of the withdrawel date was my friend Palin....I guess once she got her passport a few years ago, she became an expert on foreign policy.
    Posted by jackbu[/QUOTE]

Oh, and on the French fighters:  Libya is where France gets most of their oil, so yah, I would expect French jets without Obama, thank you very much.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi is dead. yea Obama : Two things: I sure would blame it on Obama, he's the one who committed our forces to the effort. Turned out good?  So, you think turning Libya over to Islamic radicals is a win?????
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

Don't be dense.

The opposition is certainly no more 'radical' than Qaddafi himself, and Libya is a muslim nation.

By all accounts, his removal was a positive development and a step toward reforms.  Just ask the vast majority of libyans celebrating....

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BilltheKat. Show BilltheKat's posts

[QUOTE]Obamas doing more to kill the terrorists than Bush ever did. Bush just sent our guys over to take hits and give a boatload of money to Cheneys Haliburton, then left it up to Obama to figure it out. Well, he's figuring it out and laying the groundwork to end our BS involvement over there.  The wingnuts are blinded by their hatred for Obama and cant see the forest through the trees. Must succk for them to see a lib make more progress than a dopey neocon.  posted by billthecat Hahaha....says the guy blinded by HIS hatred for conservatives... And to say that more terrorists have been killed during Obama's admin than were killed during Bush's is...well....beyond idiotic
    Posted by WhichOnesPink[/QUOTE]

Hatred for conservatives? It's not hatred, it's amusement. 

Hmm, I wonder what your definition of a terrorist is? Seems Obama is giving the nod to kill AQ and is successful at it, unlike your little duhbbie. Man, it's tough being you these days, huh?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

New leader of Libya, Abdul-Jalil:    "Islamic Sharia law will be the basic source of legislation in the country."

A few "nuggets", (not all) of sharia law:
    1.  death to anyone leaving Islam
    2.  death to homosexuals
    3.  husband's violence to wives legal
    4.  unmarried fornicators whipped, adulterers stoned to death
    5. thieves hands cut off
    6.  robbers crucified/mutilated
    7. drinkers/alchoholics and gamblers whipped
    etc.

Obama:   "The Libyan people can now celebrate their freedom and the beginning of a new era of promise."

hmmmmmm.   celebrate?  Does Obama have an agenda, or is he just inept?