March 20, 2003 Operation Iraqi Freedom ... 10 years later , was it worth it ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

March 20, 2003 Operation Iraqi Freedom ... 10 years later , was it worth it ?

NO !

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: March 20, 2003 Operation Iraqi Freedom ... 10 years later , was it worth it ?

No

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Re: March 20, 2003 Operation Iraqi Freedom ... 10 years later , was it worth it ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

No way, Jose.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

To me it's not about peace being cheaper. there was no threat of Iraq attacking the US, therefore no reason for us to go there. It's one thing if the US has to protect itself like we did with Japan and Germany, but if no threat of attack and no ally of ours under attack then stay the fcuk out. 

I'm being a little facetious with my second post ......  it was a costly war in the term of Human suffering and monetarily . Over 4800 US KIA , over 35,000 US WIA, almost almost 500,000(?) VA claims by returning vets and over 2 trillion dollars spent . I don't know what the estimate of Iraqi casualties ... 200,000 maybe more . Operation Iraqi Freedom will go down as our country's biggest and costliest mistake .

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

No

10 years ago, we were lied into a war and a complicit media ignored a large and broad opposition to the war. The people who lied us into the war were largely people who never served in uniform- ChickenHawks- but were all too glad to send the sons and daughters of the poor and working class off to die for a trumped up cause.

The war they started has wrecked our economy, our budget, the lives of countless millions in Iraq, the lives of tens of thousands of ours and coalition soldiers, and countless heartbroken families and friends of those killed in battle. Nothing good has come of this debacle.

Wars are irredeemably horrible.The most twisted, sickening, disgusting abomination known to man.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

To me it's not about peace being cheaper. there was no threat of Iraq attacking the US, therefore no reason for us to go there. It's one thing if the US has to protect itself like we did with Japan and Germany, but if no threat of attack and no ally of ours under attack then stay the fcuk out. 

I'm being a little facetious with my second post ......  it was a costly war in the term of Human suffering and monetarily . Over 4800 US KIA , over 35,000 US WIA, almost almost 500,000(?) VA claims by returning vets and over 2 trillion dollars spent . I don't know what the estimate of Iraqi casualties ... 200,000 maybe more . Operation Iraqi Freedom will go down as our country's biggest and costliest mistake .

Oh I know you were. My post wasn't directed at you as I know you know the real cost of war

What I can't figure out is why my post was deleted. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfilio. Show portfilio's posts

HELL NO!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

As I've said many times, if the invasion was in 1985, then it probably would have been worth it on the grounds of preventing genocide by chemical weapons. I think preventing genocide is something America should do, and I think it's something we should force the U.N. to do more seriously.

By 2013, not really. It's a tough question. He really was a meglomaniac on the wrong side of sanity, constantly murdering/torturing his citizens. We have involved ourselves to take out those kinds of people, and I'm not sure that it's a bad thing. There's a big fuzzy area between playing World Police and getting rid of genuine evil (at the expense of our young men and women).

Of course, it would be a different conversation if the Bush admin hadn't rushed us on the WMD claim when the real intention was for Bush to go down in history as the man who "established Democracy in the middle east." It would be utterly different if they hadn't then managed to F it up in every way imaginable from the get-go.

So as it stands, no, clearly not worth it.

But in other circumstances.....         it's hard to say.

I see the justification for going into Afghanistan. I thought that Bush 41 made a big mistake by not finishing off Hussien during Desert Storm but I understood that too,  the UN sanctions during the 90's punished the population of Iraq more than it did Hussien even though those sanctions weaken Hussien and kept him in check in the region and I thought Bush 43 took advantage of our country's lust for revenge for 9/11 and use that and the WMDs scare  for his justification to attacked Iraq in 03. I can't ever forgive him for that or his conduct during the war and on top of all that he cut taxes that could have helped pay for Iraqi Freedom .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfilio. Show portfilio's posts

http://downingstreetmemo.com/

All the proof anyone needs to show that Bush started his war for oil profits.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Oh I know you were. My post wasn't directed at you as I know you know the real cost of war

What I can't figure out is why my post was deleted. 

The BDC censorship police are flexing thier muscles !

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to portfilio's comment:

http://downingstreetmemo.com/

All the proof anyone needs to show that Bush started his war for oil profits.

facepalm...

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to Newtster's comment:

Bush had multiple sources of information with different answers. He picked the one he wanted for whatever reason. 

But what was the reason, exactly?

Until the relevant players fess up, it's speculation.  And then there's this from Bush speechwriter David Frum:

"I was less impressed by Chalabi than were some others in the Bush administration. However, since one of those 'others' was Vice President Cheney, it didn't matter what I thought. In 2002, Chalabi joined the annual summer retreat of the American Enterprise Institute near Vail, Colorado. He and Cheney spent long hours together, contemplating the possibilities of a Western-oriented Iraq: an additional source of oil, an alternative to US dependency on an unstable-looking Saudi Arabia."

It's less-than-helpful to have some of those players, like Rummy and Wolf are doing today, continue to trump up the conflict as if they did nothing wrong and Iraq is a democratic paradise.  It's just not true.  And it's also the essence of much of the gop's detachment from the reality of the Bush Years that everyone else seems to agree upon.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

NO !

Mixed bag.

at the time, it made sense, but we should have bugged out no later than when we bagged Saddam.

i think people saying no are forgetting that Saddam was bent on destabilizing the Mid East, fired at u.s. planes daily, jerked around u.n. inspectors, and brutally tortured his people.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

at the time, it made sense, but we should have bugged out no later than when we bagged Saddam.

We created a haven for Al Queda by going there. Once there, the responsible thing to do was clean up adequately before leaving.

Alqueda was already there.  Granted more came in, and Iran stirred the pot with the fat bearded cleric, name escapes me, so, yah, I guess we had to stay, longer than I would like. 

i can accept the strategy that we had to stay, I just don't like it.  Too much nation building.  I have gone cold on that idea.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

http://www.truthdig.com/dig/item/the_last_letter_20130318/

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

A war of choice that should not have been chosen. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImYourDaddy. Show ImYourDaddy's posts

Will go down as our country's biggest and costliest mistake ??????

You heard of a liitle thing called Vietnam right?  ... over 50,000 lives lost and for what exactly??

2 trillions dollar spent ... try again more like 1 trillion over 10 years and Obama spend that in 1 year...

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImYourDaddy. Show ImYourDaddy's posts

As I've said many times, if the invasion was in 1985, then it probably would have been worth it on the grounds of preventing genocide by chemical weapons. I think preventing genocide is something America should do, and I think it's something we should force the U.N. to do more seriously.

By 2013, not really. It's a tough question. He really was a meglomaniac on the wrong side of sanity, constantly murdering/torturing his citizens. We have involved ourselves to take out those kinds of people, and I'm not sure that it's a bad thing. There's a big fuzzy area between playing World Police and getting rid of genuine evil (at the expense of our young men and women).

Of course, it would be a different conversation if the Bush admin hadn't rushed us on the WMD claim when the real intention was for Bush to go down in history as the man who "established Democracy in the middle east." It would be utterly different if they hadn't then managed to F it up in every way imaginable from the get-go.

So as it stands, no, clearly not worth it.

But in other circumstances.....         it's hard to say.

Rushed us onto WMD claim ... I think it was Clinton's CIA director that said WMD was a " slam dunk"

Oh Btw what was operation desert fox ?????

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

no, and I was never for it

Sections
Shortcuts