Mark Sanford elected to Congress

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Mark Sanford elected to Congress

The state of South Carolina will now feel the wrath of the defeated moonbats...

Bring on the nasty namecalling .... trailer trash rednecks, ignorant yahoos, toothless Confederates...

Just remember, the supposed ignorant backwater of South Carolina has an Indian Sikh woman as Governor, and an African American US Senator...while most arrogant Southern-bashing  progressives are represented by old wrinkly white male, dinosaur liberals...

Haughty Massachusetts would never elect someone who had an affair, or whose roommate was a prostitute, or who molested young interns...thank goodness!

Probably a bad thing for Republicans to have Sanford in Washington. The Dems will use his name to bash the GOP.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Re: Mark Sanford elected to Congress

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

Bring on the nasty namecalling .... trailer trash rednecks, ignorant yahoos, toothless Confederates...

Just remember, the supposed ignorant backwater of South Carolina has an Indian Sikh woman as Governor, and an African American US Senator...while most arrogant Southern-bashing  progressives are represented by old wrinkly white male, dinosaur liberals...

Haughty Massachusetts would never elect someone who had an affair, or whose roommate was a prostitute, or who molested young interns...thank goodness!

Probably a bad thing for Republicans to have Sanford in Washington. The Dems will use his name to bash the GOP.

SC GOP got out their message....."A vote for Colbert is a vote for that black man in the white house".  Remember that SC still proudly flies the Confederate flag on its State Capitol building.

We probably shouldn't forget that the civil war was not all that far back. A Confederate veteran 20 years old at war's end, could heve been grumbling about the freed slaves to an impressionable 10-year-old grandkid in 1940, who might still be alive and grumbling to his impressionable 10-year-old grandkids today.  Family values.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to A_Concerned_Citizen's comment:

Project much?

Kinda puts the Gerry Studds 'scandal' in perspective, don't ya think?

"I just want to acknowledge a God not just of second chances, but third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth chances," Sanford told cheering supporters in Mount Pleasant.

I guess if you throw out the 'god' card, not just once or twice but EIGHT times, then you're good to go.

Sanford may feel that he has repented and God has forgiven him, but how he translates that into being a morally acceptable character for politics is beyond me.  the guy should have gone quietly into the night. Forgiv-ness is not forget-ness.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:

SC GOP got out their message....."A vote for Colbert is a vote for that black man in the white house".  Remember that SC still proudly flies the Confederate flag on its State Capitol building.

We probably shouldn't forget that the civil war was not all that far back. A Confederate veteran 20 years old at war's end, could heve been grumbling about the freed slaves to an impressionable 10-year-old grandkid in 1940, who might still be alive and grumbling to his impressionable 10-year-old grandkids today.  Family values.

I didn't see that message anywhere.  Do you have any examples?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Ever been to South Carolina ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

What? No pics? I look forward to your pics. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

I have two pictures referring to S.C. one is a sign saying " only intelligence life is north " and the other saying Welcome to Calabash N.C. ..... in all honesty I love S.C. though !

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Project much?

"I just want to acknowledge a God not just of second chances, but third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth chances," Sanford told cheering supporters in Mount Pleasant.

I guess if you throw out the 'god' card, not just once or twice but EIGHT times, then you're good to go.

Sanford may feel that he has repented and God has forgiven him, but how he translates that into being a morally acceptable character for politics is beyond me.  the guy should have gone quietly into the night. Forgiv-ness is not forget-ness.

I am glad I am sitting down . I completely agree Skeeter..with every single word in your comment...  :-)

Listen..I don't think Sanford is a bad human being..and to me this ex-wife issue is really a non issue for two reasons. One..his response made logical sense to me..and two..people sometimes do less than optimum things when they are in the midst of ending a relationship.

That being said..Skeeter is spot on. The problem is that Sanford's re-election reinforces the notion that name recognition is everything in elections..and Sanford it going to see himself in a less humble light. That is never a good thing..in a person or a leader.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

That being said..Skeeter is spot on. The problem is that Sanford's re-election reinforces the notion that name recognition is everything in elections..and Sanford it going to see himself in a less humble light. That is never a good thing..in a person or a leader.

Money is everything in politics

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Yet SC recently elected a  woman of Sikh ancestry as Governor, and a black man to the House (now the US Senator) ...two things Massachusetts has never done!

The Civil War wasnt that long ago?  The Republican Party freed the slaves, and the Democratic Party became partners with the KKK for a hundred year reign of terror against blacks, which ended only in the 1960s...that wasnt so long ago, was it?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

Project much?

Laughable the Party of Bill Clinton and John Edwards can feign outrage at a man who had an affair...

Cue the , but, but, the GOP is the "Party of Family Values" "hypocrisy" crap...

I wish another Republican was elected, but he is better than Democrat Colbert Busch, an unqualified  liberal airhead celebrity. candidate...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

I have two pictures referring to S.C. one is a sign saying " only intelligence life is north " and the other saying Welcome to Calabash N.C. ..... in all honesty I love S.C. though !

Haha fair enough

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Driving from North Carolina into South Carolina is a bit like moving forward in time by a decade or so, at least that was my experience when I was down there in the 80s.

I have a theory about this election. The low information voters took one look at the names of the candidates and decided to vote for the one not named Busch. (Yes, I see the difference in spelling, they are low information voters after all...)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvczckDS-18

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sshore123. Show sshore123's posts

Or maybe the good people of SC decided not to elect the candidate with an actual arrest for contempt of court stemming from her own rather messy marital breakup

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

The Republican Party freed the slaves, and the Democratic Party became partners with the KKK for a hundred year reign of terror against blacks, which ended only in the 1960s...that wasnt so long ago, was it?

LOL...keep telling yourself that.

Southern Democrats switched parties immediately after Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act in 1964. The Democrats' embrace of civil rights led to the rise of the Southern wing of the GOP beginning in the 60's.

LBJ was 100% right when he famously said, "We have lost the South for a generation."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

The Republican Party freed the slaves, and the Democratic Party became partners with the KKK for a hundred year reign of terror against blacks, which ended only in the 1960s...that wasnt so long ago, was it?

Southern Democrats switched parties immediately after Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act in 1964. The Democrats' embrace of civil rights led to the rise of the Southern wing of the GOP beginning in the 60's.

LBJ was 100% right when he famously said, "We have lost the South for a generation."

Wrong.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/04/30/southern_whites_shift_to_the_gop_predates_the_60s_118172.html

Southern Whites' Shift to the GOP Predates the '60s

In truth, the white South began breaking away from the Democrats in the 1920s, as population centers began to develop in what was being called the “New South” (remember, at the beginning of the 20th century, New Orleans was the only thing approximating what we currently think of as a city in the South).

In the 1930s and 1940s, FDR performed worse in the South in every election following his 1932 election. By the mid-1940s, the GOP was winning about a quarter of the Southern vote in presidential elections.

But the big breakthrough, to the extent that there was one, came in 1952...

It’s impossible to separate race and economics completely anywhere in the country, perhaps least of all in the South. But the inescapable truth is that the GOP was making its greatest gains in the South while it was also pushing a pro-civil rights agenda nationally. What was really driving the GOP at this time was economic development. As Southern cities continued to develop and sprout suburbs, Southern exceptionalism was eroded; Southern whites simply became wealthy enough to start voting Republican....
    The assertion that white Southerners began voting Republican in 1964 is simply incorrect, whether for president, Congress, or statehouses. The development of the Southern GOP was a slow-moving, gradual process that lasted over a century, and is just being completed today.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

Driving from North Carolina into South Carolina is a bit like moving forward in time by a decade or so, at least that was my experience when I was down there in the 80s.

I have a theory about this election. The low information voters took one look at the names of the candidates and decided to vote for the one not named Busch. (Yes, I see the difference in spelling, they are low information voters after all...)

That was certainly proven in Nov 2008/2012......

look at the mess we're in now!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

But the inescapable truth is that the GOP was making its greatest gains in the South while it was also pushing a pro-civil rights agenda nationally.

Some things bear repeating.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

Wrong.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/04/30/southern_whites_shift_to_the_gop_predates_the_60s_118172.html

Southern Whites' Shift to the GOP Predates the '60s

In truth, the white South began breaking away from the Democrats in the 1920s, as population centers began to develop in what was being called the “New South” (remember, at the beginning of the 20th century, New Orleans was the only thing approximating what we currently think of as a city in the South).

In the 1930s and 1940s, FDR performed worse in the South in every election following his 1932 election. By the mid-1940s, the GOP was winning about a quarter of the Southern vote in presidential elections.

But the big breakthrough, to the extent that there was one, came in 1952...

It’s impossible to separate race and economics completely anywhere in the country, perhaps least of all in the South. But the inescapable truth is that the GOP was making its greatest gains in the South while it was also pushing a pro-civil rights agenda nationally. What was really driving the GOP at this time was economic development. As Southern cities continued to develop and sprout suburbs, Southern exceptionalism was eroded; Southern whites simply became wealthy enough to start voting Republican....
    The assertion that white Southerners began voting Republican in 1964 is simply incorrect, whether for president, Congress, or statehouses. The development of the Southern GOP was a slow-moving, gradual process that lasted over a century, and is just being completed today.  

He's right that the shift began before the 60's.  It actually began in the late 40s when the Dixie Crats had a hissy fit over Truman's integration of the Army.  But thats all he's right about in this piece of revisionist history.

Southernern didn't leave the democratic party over economics, they left over civil rights....and thats just a fact.   They became bed fellows with Republicans because they had no other place to go and still be politically viable on a national level. 

Ironically, these Southern conservatives eventually took over the Republican Party to the point where a moderate Republican can't even get elected today. The Grand Old Republican Party sold its soul and now they are paying the price for it. The party of Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt is gone. All that is left of the old party coalition are the wealthy, and business elite who now must align themselves with conservative state's righters (Tea Party) to remain viable.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

He's right that the shift began before the 60's.  It actually began in the late 40s when the Dixie Crats had a hissy fit over Truman's integration of the Army.  But thats all he's right about in this piece of revisionist history.

Southernern didn't leave the democratic party over economics, they left over civil rights....and thats just a fact.   They became bed fellows with Republicans because they had no other place to go and still be politically viable on a national level. 

Ironically, these Southern conservatives eventually took over the Republican Party to the point where a moderate Republican can't even get elected today. The Grand Old Republican Party sold its soul and now they are paying the price for it. The party of Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt is gone. All that is left of the old party coalition are the wealthy, and business elite who now must align themselves with conservative state's righters (Tea Party) to remain viable.

Nice story bro.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"Southern didn't leave the democratic party over economics, they left over civil rights....and thats just a fact"

You have convinced yourself that  Southerners are all racist Confederates..good luck with that.

Having lived in the South for a long time now , there is no denying that a piece of the old South redneck culture still exists in the backwoods, and that no doubt many Bob Byrd Dixiecrats did move to the GOP.

But that culture is dying, and the South is full of Northern transplants.....the entire country is homogenized..the Old South is long dead.

Northern progressives still like to delude themselves that the South is like the "Heat of the Night", with Jackie Gleason as sheriff Buford T Justice...

My ancestor fought and died a hero in the Civil War...for the North.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

I don't care who won that seat ....... I just don't want any republican to preach about moral standards unless they apply them to themselves .

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

"Southern didn't leave the democratic party over economics, they left over civil rights....and thats just a fact"

You have convinced yourself that  Southerners are all racist Confederates..good luck with that.

Having lived in the South for a long time now , there is no denying that a piece of the old South redneck culture still exists in the backwoods, and that no doubt many Bob Byrd Dixiecrats did move to the GOP.

But that culture is dying, and the South is full of Northern transplants.....the entire country is homogenized..the Old South is long dead.

Northern progressives still like to delude themselves that the South is like the "Heat of the Night", with Jackie Gleason as sheriff Buford T Justice...

My ancestor fought and died a hero in the Civil War...for the North.

To try and lay bigotry or ingnorance at the door of the south today (look around) just shows how bigotted and ignorant some really are!

We are the USA not the north and the south. The Northern states have bigotted people of all races/parties and so does the Southern states.

There are straw chewing bigots and there are well educated collar bigots.

There are blue collar bigots and there are white collar bigots.

Stop with the assinine analogies of geographical bigotry.

Sections
Shortcuts