McCain's Roll of the Dice

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

It seems that, whatever one's opinion of the GOP VP candidate may be, McCain's decision to make her his running mate can be determined thusly: either he was completely confident in his choice due to the information gleaned from the vetting process, OR he took a chance, a calculated risk that she would balance out his ticket.

It's common knowledge that McCain is an avid gambler, and it's a common perception that choosing Sarah Palin was an incredibly gutsy move - a legitimate game-changer in what may turn out to be the closest general election in at least 8 years.

The fact that so much information is now circulating about Ms. Palin is reflective more about her anonymity in national politics and, by extension, the press. The media flood was inevitable, much more so than, say, the damage caused by Gustav. So are the levies that are Palin's record and McCain & Co's confidence in that record strong enough to withstand the considerable flood rapidly coming their way??

The Republican Party now has their chance, a day late, to unite their party around the top of the GOP ballot. For all the hoopla surrounding Obama-Clinton and "disunity" within the Democratic Party, the GOP has been equally as fractured, even though McCain has been the nominee since early-March. McCain was having trouble getting the hard-line conservatives on board. But now, with the bold choice of Palin, McCain has made the bet of his life on a super-unknown, a newly-discovered star and an alleged future standard-bearer of the Republican Party.

How well do you think that McCain's choice of running mate, essentially his first 'presidential' decision, foreshadows the way he would perform in the Oval Office?? Do you believe that McCain's campaign gave as much attention toward vetting Palin as they did toward other potential VPs?? If you preferred a different #2 than Palin, who was it? How does that pick compare to the result?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickterp. Show rickterp's posts

It seems McCain was determined to pick Joe Lieberman but couldn't talk GOP leaders into it. So he needed plan B and wanted to make sure he announced a VP on Friday morning to squash the post-speech buzz that Obama would be getting. But most of his options were pretty dull (Romney or Pawlenty would have been a yawn), so he needed a VP with some sizzle and Palin was it.

But there was a problem: the team to vet her had just gotten to Alaska on Thursday. He had to choose between a careful vet (which would have taken a few days and would have ceded to Obama a post-speech bounce) and going with Palin unvetted and totally blind. Ever the gambler, McCain went with the latter.

Now it turns out that his unvetted VP choice turns out to have some issues, which would have certainly dropped her from consideration, no matter what Republican talking head are saying now. McCain's in a bind. He can't admit that he didn't vet Palin, so he has to say he knew everything and went with her anyway. He can't drop her like Eagleton because the religious right would go nuts, so he's stuck with her.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickterp. Show rickterp's posts

Oh, and what does this say about how he'd do in the Oval Office? GW Bush, but without the prudence and care in making decisions.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from engfant. Show engfant's posts

What? A "free pass" to drill in Alaska? I don't care who it is I'LL TAKE IT.

And that's how McCain has chosen his VP.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

McCain obviously decided to go with a bold statement. Given the fact that he trumps Obama in the experience department on foreign policy and defense issues and that repeatedly the polls confirm that the public feels very comfortable with him answering the 3:00 AM calls he decided to go the unknown route for his number 2.

The President is in charge of foreign policy and is the face of our nation internationally. The VP in the best of Pres./VP relationships is involved in all mtgs and strategy but the decision belong to the President. The VP is assigned domestic issues, attends funerals and is the President of the Senate. Clinton let Gore discover the internet and it appears that McCain will let Palin implement his "Energy Independence Plan". Some Pres./VP relationships are much worse, JFK and Johnson hardly spoke and FDR never let Truman know about "the bomb".

McCain's VP choice is a proven reformer and very knowledgeable on energy issues and experienced in beating up on big oil and we need those characteristics in a VP right now. Biden wants to be President, Palin will be ready to serve, learn and respond with McCain's assembled team, if needed.

The GOP isn't suffering from disunity and Palin actually cemented a lot of their based. The question is how much of the Dem's lingering unity issues can her position take advantage of. If she was able to attract only 10% of Clinton's support that's almost 2 million votes, if another 10% of Clinton supporters are just disillusioned and sitting the election out that is a 4 million vote gap.

I'm sure Palin was fully vetted. The pregnancy issue is being experienced by many voter families (either their own or a friend's) in middle America and there is a lot to identify with. The Troopergate issue sounds like a he said - she said issue and she seems very credible and confident in her position from what I read. John King on CNN last night tried to hammer a way at a McCain spokes person on the issue but to no avail.

Palin is playing well with working professional women and working class women who see her as a qualified success, and ready to hold the number 2 spot as opposed to who is holding the number 1 spot with the Dems.

I'm Thankful he stayed away from Romney, and pleased he didn't play it safe and go with Pawlenty or Jindal. Crist was interestinging but not a defining choice.

I've listened to the heart attack away from the presidency jokes concerning McCain's age but medically Obama is closing in on that 50 year old male undiagnosed heart issue age and McCain survived it.

I like the Palin choice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kate03801. Show Kate03801's posts

at first the choice of Palin scared me that there would be so many people who would vote for her because of her conservative beliefs. But when news of her daughter's pregnancy got out, I thought, well we should leave the kid alone.........however, isn't it ironic that a staunch conservative who opposeed money for sex education in schools would choose a woman whose daughter evidently didnt' get much sex education, except from her boyfriend. Ya gotta love it..............p.s. teaching abstinence doesn't work very well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kate03801. Show Kate03801's posts

at first the choice of Palin scared me that there would be so many people who would vote for her because of her conservative beliefs. But when news of her daughter's pregnancy got out, I thought, well we should leave the kid alone.........however, isn't it ironic that a staunch conservative who opposeed money for sex education in schools would choose a woman whose daughter evidently didnt' get much sex education, except from her boyfriend. Ya gotta love it..............p.s. teaching abstinence doesn't work very well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moongrl. Show moongrl's posts

Are you kidding me???? A heartbeat away from the Presidency - I don't think so!!! What was he thinking ( or was he thinking at all !!?? )

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReasonedReply. Show ReasonedReply's posts

According to an NPR report this afternoon, in a conversation with David Brooks of the NY Times, it was pointed out that McCain left the decision to the last couple of days and this prevented a thorough vetting process. The desire to keep this nomination secret had the effect of limiting how much info could be released to prospective candidates and meant that the investigators couldn't tip their hand with too many questions...
    The favored nominee, it was reported, was Lieberman.... but was dropped from consideration after gauging the disaffection from many republicans.
    So, the decision was rather a "bold move" (read: last minute, and a gamble)

Regardless of one's leanings, the decision making process is a fair line of inquiry as it suggests how one may lead and decide....if one becomes "the decider"

Editiorial comment: I am not looking forward to this nation being pulled into "bold moves" with limited vetting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReasonedReply. Show ReasonedReply's posts

Re: Experience

It needs to be pointed out that no one had more experience going into the VP office than Cheney and look what this did? He was surrounded with others with lots of experience (Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Pearl)

(and Shakhasvili, and Powell, I might add.... but those were judged to be of no value....)

Just for a moment consider JUDGEMENT vs. Experience

One candidate judged that there wasn't enough justification to launch an unprovoked war with a nation that had no connection to the terrorists that had just harmed us.

Another candidate judged that war was the right course of action.
    And has gone on record stating that more wars will come, to expect more wars, and that he'll be calling upon the youth to serve their nation (see:draft). And has voted with a discredited administration over 90% of the time.
    This candidate has run numerous ads making a mockery of diplomacy.

If I were advising (I wish) I would ask the candidates to discuss instances of their judgement. This is a reasonable point of comparison.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Art may imitate life. "Commander in Chief" starring Sarah Palin, almost as pretty as Gina Davis. All she needs now is Ms. Davis' writers to make all the right decisions within an hour.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from easydoesit2. Show easydoesit2's posts

Sorry. You guys were having a serious discussion. Maybe someday I'll know enough about her to join in, but for now, sorry.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Denisohainle. Show Denisohainle's posts

ok, no one has mentioned it so I will. She has a special needs child. I have no experience dealing with such children. I have a cousin whose 6 year old has downs syndrome and I can sense that a lot of attention is needed. Not trying to sound sexist, but this women and her husband's first priority should be taking care of this child, not trying to shore up the religious right.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cuchalain. Show cuchalain's posts

[Quote]ok, no one has mentioned it so I will. She has a special needs child. I have no experience dealing with such children. I have a cousin whose 6 year old has downs syndrome and I can sense that a lot of attention is needed. Not trying to sound sexist, but this women and her husband's first priority should be taking care of this child, not trying to shore up the religious right.[/Quote]

you have no experience dealing with such children.

so you felt the need to pipe up with some advice because.........?

thought so
    thanks

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

All of this talk about Pailin and her family life will pass. Ameri9cans have EXTREMELY short memories.

As we see and hear more about her accomplishments and we contrast her executive experience with the "experience" of the other three, she will shine.

I think it's funny that Obama claims he has more experience than Pailin. Laughable. She is a head executive of government and Commander in Chief of the Alaska National Guard. She has actually made real life decisions. Obama, Biden and McCain have cast votes.....ooooohhhhhh votes!!! A vote as a Senator is 1/100th of a decision. Not a lot of real responsibility.

Pailin makes decsions that have impact and she is directly held accountable. Pailin has 80% favorability.....Congress has lower favorability ratings than Bush..somewhere in the teens.

If McCain didn't command in the service I would say he was exactly like Obama and Biden. His military command is the only thing that sets him apart from the other two "voters".

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Denisohainle. Show Denisohainle's posts

[Quote]

you have no experience dealing with such children.

so you felt the need to pipe up with some advice because.........?

thought so
    thanks[/Quote]

to voice my opinion that her job is not VP but as a mother to her special needs child. if you have a problem with that then you obviously know nothing about raising a child.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

I'll vote for her as an Executive. I think she's great, I like her personality, she's great to listen to and to look at. I'd go shooting with her anytime.

I'm glad she's not my mother.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cuchalain. Show cuchalain's posts

[Quote]

to voice my opinion that her job is not VP but as a mother to her special needs child. if you have a problem with that then you obviously know nothing about raising a child. [/Quote]

I'll have to ask my kids about that. So you think that your opinion is the only correct opinion in this matter?

Shocker!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcesOverKings. Show AcesOverKings's posts

The personal irony of this (for me) is that I was stoked over Palin before he chose her, very excited for her selection (not a Romney fan), and then I saw Pawlenty Sunday on Meet the Press.

That dude did his homework. I thought he was VERY smooth as the first real ambassador of McCain's VP selection. It's like he had foreseen every tough question Brokaw had up his sleeve. And if he was miffed over not being selected and/or used as a decoy, he didn't show it one bit. Real class act.

And he did a helluva lot better than Tucker Bounds did handling Campbell Brown when she threw her pedantic "JUST TELL ME ONE DECISION!" hissyfit yesterday.

So now that I've seen Pawlenty in action a little, I'm curious as to why (other than being another boooooring white guy) he wasn't selected.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mistergman123. Show mistergman123's posts

[Quote]

Are you kidding me???? A heartbeat away from the Presidency - I don't think so!!! What was he thinking ( or was he thinking at all !!?? )

[/Quote]

I'd rather have Palin a heartbeat away from the Presidency than have Obama as President! Now that's a scary thought....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrkleen2002. Show mrkleen2002's posts

[Quote]I like her personality, she's great to listen to and to look at. I'd go shooting with her anytime.[/Quote]

Three solid reasons to vote for her right there. :-)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cuchalain. Show cuchalain's posts

[Quote]I'll vote for her as an Executive. I think she's great, I like her personality, she's great to listen to and to look at. I'd go shooting with her anytime.

I'm glad she's not my mother.[/Quote]

she probably is, too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ManOnTheSilverMountain. Show ManOnTheSilverMountain's posts

[Quote]she probably is, too.[/Quote]

Yes, but who's your daddy?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoomersRockToo. Show BoomersRockToo's posts

I agree with MassModerateJoe:

McCain obviously decided to go with a bold statement. Given the fact that he trumps Obama in the experience department on foreign policy and defense issues and that repeatedly the polls confirm that the public feels very comfortable with him answering the 3:00 AM calls he decided to go the unknown route for his number 2.

The President is in charge of foreign policy and is the face of our nation internationally. The VP in the best of Pres./VP relationships is involved in all mtgs and strategy but the decision belong to the President. The VP is assigned domestic issues, attends funerals and is the President of the Senate. Clinton let Gore discover the internet and it appears that McCain will let Palin implement his "Energy Independence Plan". Some Pres./VP relationships are much worse, JFK and Johnson hardly spoke and FDR never let Truman know about "the bomb".

McCain's VP choice is a proven reformer and very knowledgeable on energy issues and experienced in beating up on big oil and we need those characteristics in a VP right now. Biden wants to be President, Palin will be ready to serve, learn and respond with McCain's assembled team, if needed.

The GOP isn't suffering from disunity and Palin actually cemented a lot of their based. The question is how much of the Dem's lingering unity issues can her position take advantage of. If she was able to attract only 10% of Clinton's support that's almost 2 million votes, if another 10% of Clinton supporters are just disillusioned and sitting the election out that is a 4 million vote gap.

I'm sure Palin was fully vetted. The pregnancy issue is being experienced by many voter families (either their own or a friend's) in middle America and there is a lot to identify with. The Troopergate issue sounds like a he said - she said issue and she seems very credible and confident in her position from what I read. John King on CNN last night tried to hammer a way at a McCain spokes person on the issue but to no avail.

Palin is playing well with working professional women and working class women who see her as a qualified success, and ready to hold the number 2 spot as opposed to who is holding the number 1 spot with the Dems.

I'm Thankful he stayed away from Romney, and pleased he didn't play it safe and go with Pawlenty or Jindal. Crist was interestinging but not a defining choice.

I've listened to the heart attack away from the presidency jokes concerning McCain's age but medically Obama is closing in on that 50 year old male undiagnosed heart issue age and McCain survived it.

I like the Palin choice.
    [/Quote]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 0d8s6eic. Show 0d8s6eic's posts

This time next week she can probably have a long chat with Thomas Eagleton. I'm sure a lot of thought is being given to how to get her to pull out so they won'thave to do it themselves.