Media's Mormon obsession continues: WaPost headlines 'Mormon Militia' Action 150 Years Ago

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

Media's Mormon obsession continues: WaPost headlines 'Mormon Militia' Action 150 Years Ago

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/05/when-are-we-going-to-talk-about-mormonism-123875.html
    Politico media reporter Dylan Byers asked:   When are we going to start talking about Mormonism? He cant wait for the negative stuff to fly!

His (nonMormon) prayers of course have been answered...As predicted, it will be all Mormon stories , all the time for the liberal media...trying to rev up the religious right, but it seems to be backfiring...
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mitt-romneys-mormon-faith-tangles-with-a-quirk-of-arkansas-history/2012/05/20/gIQAKHVFeU_print.html

Reporting from Carrollton, Arkansas, the Washington Post finds some locals still upset with actions of a "Mormon militia" over 150 years ago. The Post, wanting to stir up trouble , reports: "On the wildflower-studded slopes of the Ozarks, where memories run long and family ties run thick, a little-known and long-ago chapter of history still simmers....on Sept. 11, 1857, a wagon train from this part of Arkansas met with a gruesome fate in Utah, where most of the travelers were slaughtered by a Mormon militia in an episode known as the Mountain Meadows Massacre. Hundreds of the victims’ descendants still populate these hills and commemorate the killings, which they have come to call “the first 9/11.”

Many of the locals grew up hearing denunciations of Mormonism from the pulpit on Sundays, and tales of the massacre from older relatives who considered Mormons “evil.”

But the main concern of the paper is ... will this hurt Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney? 

"There aren’t many places in America more likely to be suspicious of Mormonism — and potentially more problematic for Mitt Romney, who is seeking to become the country’s first Mormon president. Not only do many here retain a personal antipathy toward the religion and its followers, but they also tend to be Christian evangelicals, many of whom view Mormonism as a cult.

And yet, there is scant evidence that Romney’s religion is making much difference in how voters here are thinking about the presidential election and whether they are willing to back the former Massachusetts governor. 

"Breaking news...a local attack 150 years ago doesnt still motivate the politics of Arkansas voters... was the snotty WaPost liberal reporter hoping for the opposite? maybe stir up the local yokels?
    Maybe looking for a boulder with an antiMormon message on it?

So in case one thought otherwise, Romney is not in favor of massacres.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Media's Mormon obsession continues: WaPost headlines 'Mormon Militia' Action 150 Years Ago

Romney has stated that his faith of Mormonism is the most important thing in his life.  It's part-and-parcel of who he is as a person, a businessman and a politician.

And yet Romney never talks about his faith.  Why not?  For a guy that is, let's face it, kind of stiff and cardboard-like, it might be encouraging to know how his faith shapes his worldview and might influence his decisions as president.

And even in religious terms, mormonism is pretty weird.  The notion that god favors one nation over any other is ridiculous on its face.

And yet, one of the most celebrated broadway shows of the past few years is "The Book Of Mormon", which is both satirical AND reverent - a product of the decidedly libertarian minds behind South Park - a show in which every possible sacred cow is slaughtered mercilessly.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

Re: Media's Mormon obsession continues: WaPost headlines 'Mormon Militia' Action 150 Years Ago

"Romney has stated that his faith of Mormonism is the most important thing in his life.  It's part-and-parcel of who he is as a person, a businessman and a politician.
    And yet Romney never talks about his faith.  Why not?"

This idea that Romney doesnt talk about his faith, is nothing but liberals laying a trap. Liberals in their arrogance want to say, "Mormonism doesnt matter to me, , I am tolerant-atheist, but hey, ignorant Bible thumpers, look at this weird religion!" 

When Bush spoke about his faith, he was mocked, and told it was inappropriate and unnecessary. Separation of church and state and all that...
     But now , all of a sudden, Romney must bare his soul about his religion.
     Obama has no chance unless he and his minions tear down the opposing candidate.  Getting Mormonism as a campaign issue is their fondest wish... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Media's Mormon obsession continues: WaPost headlines 'Mormon Militia' Action 150 Years Ago:
    "Romney has stated that his faith of Mormonism is the most important thing in his life.  It's part-and-parcel of who he is as a person, a businessman and a politician. And yet Romney never talks about his faith.  Why not?" This idea that Romney doesnt talk about his faith, is nothing but liberals laying a trap. Liberals in their arrogance want to say, "Mormonism doesnt matter to me, , I am tolerant-atheist, but hey, ignorant Bible thumpers, look at this weird religion!"  When Bush spoke about his faith, he was mocked, and told it was inappropriate and unnecessary. Separation of church and state and all that...  But now , all of a sudden, Romney must bare his soul about his religion.  Obama has no chance unless he and his minions tear down the opposing candidate.  Getting Mormonism as a campaign issue is their fondest wish... 
    Posted by BetheKoolaid

This is a lot of conjecture on your part that doesn't answer my question.  If a presidential candidate was an atheist, you can bet your bible that the evangelicals would raise cain, so to speak.

Personally, I think Mitt is scared out of his magic pajamas to talk about his mormonism to the evangelical base of the GOP, lest they also not view him as "one of them"...(like they currently do with President Obama).

And until Mitt addresses questions everyone will and should be asking, all we'll have is speculation.  (Bush pandered to that base...who now disown his very existence.)

Trap or not, he must answer for his belief system...especially to those who believe in the fantasy of a "christian nation".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

"he must answer for his belief system."

Really?

Belief system? Well, if Obama addresses questions about his "belief system" : how he sat in a pew for 20 years and listened to the race baiting and hatred of his close associate Rev Wright, and whether his associates bribed Rev Wright to stop talking during the 2008 campaign...and his close relationship with an unrepetent terrorist Bill Ayres....
    Then agreed, Mitt can address Mormonism, and "his belief system"...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

"Personally, I think Mitt is scared out of his magic pajamas to talk about his mormonism to the evangelical base of the GOP, lest they also not view him as "one of them"...(like they currently do with President Obama)."

Personally, you stereotype religion folks as all ignorant, which they are not.
    Many Christian religious leaders are wary of Mormonism, but Obama's support for gay marriage trumped any concern about Mormonism ... Romney will win the bulk of religious conservatives' support.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from doozy-day. Show doozy-day's posts

Just wait for ol' "tingle-up-my-leg" Mathews, he's already touched on this a while ago.

IMO, they are saving some of the Mormon stuff for September-October, when we get closer to the election.

Or, if the #'s get really bad for Obama, they'll let the media run with it and see if it sticks.

They are at despiration mode now, and it's only May!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Media's Mormon obsession continues: WaPost headlines 'Mormon Militia' Action 150 Years Ago:
    "he must answer for his belief system." Really? Belief system? Well, if Obama addresses questions about his "belief system" : how he sat in a pew for 20 years and listened to the race baiting and hatred of his close associate Rev Wright, and whether his associates bribed Rev Wright to stop talking during the 2008 campaign...and his close relationship with an unrepetent terrorist Bill Ayres.... Then agreed, Mitt can address Mormonism, and "his belief system"...
    Posted by BetheKoolaid

Obama did answer those questions.  You just didn't like the answers.  (Ayers has nothing to do with religion, but he answered that, too.)

But the Rev. Wright has got nothing on Mormon church, which has a whole state to itself, billions of dollars in tax-exempt 'donations' and is expanding throughout the west rapidly, even influencing referenda in CA.

You can pretend the two are comparable, but they aren't, not by a longshot.

But typically, you're taking the same "guilt-by-association" tack that you only imagine I would take re: Mitt.  I've heard the president's take on his faith; I haven't yet heard Romney's.

You're the one spouting conspiracy theories, not me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Many Christian religious leaders are wary of Mormonism, but Obama's support for gay marriage trumped any concern about Mormonism ... Romney will win the bulk of religious conservatives' support.
    Posted by BetheKoolaid

So, you're saying that all christians hate gay marriage and will vote for Mitt out of spite for the President's support for gay americans?

Stereotype much...?  I guess you think religious folks DO vote their religion first and not the issue.

No offense, but that's pretty dumb (and hypocritical), and YOU said it, not me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

Back to the thread subject.

All Mormon, all the time....the intelligensia now pretends to have an endless fascination with Mormons..the WaPost and NY Times alternate articles every other day, pleasing their mentor David Axelrod...
    The moonbat NY Times has a feature article today on "Black Mormons and the Politics of Identity"...
    LOL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Let's go back to Kenya to find out what Obama's peeps were up to 150 years ago. That should be interesting and completely relevant. Don't you think?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: Media's Mormon obsession continues: WaPost headlines 'Mormon Militia' Action 150 Years Ago : Obama did answer those questions.  You just didn't like the answers.  (Ayers has nothing to do with religion, but he answered that, too.) But the Rev. Wright has got nothing on Mormon church, which has a whole state to itself, billions of dollars in tax-exempt 'donations' and is expanding throughout the west rapidly, even influencing referenda in CA. You can pretend the two are comparable, but they aren't, not by a longshot. But typically, you're taking the same "guilt-by-association" tack that you only imagine I would take re: Mitt.  I've heard the president's take on his faith; I haven't yet heard Romney's. You're the one spouting conspiracy theories, not me.
    Posted by MattyScornD

You are soo right thatthey are not equivalent.  How Obama sat in a church for 20 years that is openly and agressively racist is beyond me.  Romney's church, over in Belmont, I don't think has such a theology.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Yep, the wingnut media would never impinge the LDS church...  Fox & Friends: Romney ‘Obviously Not Being A Christian’ Helps Perry Run http://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-friends-romney-obviously-not-being-a-christian-helps-perry-run/ Or question the implications..... Pinpointing Romney's Mormon Challenge http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204485304576643011599025044.html Yep, it's all one big 'librul', MSM conspiracy......'cept ya might have to redefine MSM to suit the actual facts.
    Posted by airborne-rgr

Sure, both those things are EXACTLY like the WaPo going back 150 years to slam the Mormon church. EXACTLY THE SAME!

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

The LDS Church was straight-up racist until 1978. Heck they wouldn't even let them in the side door, nevermind the front door. From 1849 to 1978, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) had a policy against ordaining black men to the priesthood, and forbidding black men and women from taking part in ceremonies in LDS temples. Associated with this policy were various statements by church leaders tying the policy to their view of scripture, and opining that black men and women had inherited the curse of Ham.
    Posted by airborne-rgr

The Democratic Party was straight-up racist until 1965.. Heck they wouldn't even let them in the side door, nevermind the front door. From 1849 to 1965, The Democratic Party  was pretty much indistinguishable from the KKK. Associated with this policy were various statements by Party leaders tying the policy to their view of scripture, and opining that black men and women had inherited the curse of Ham.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

The LDS Church was straight-up racist until 1978. Heck they wouldn't even let them in the side door, nevermind the front door. From 1849 to 1978, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) had a policy against ordaining black men to the priesthood, and forbidding black men and women from taking part in ceremonies in LDS temples. Associated with this policy were various statements by church leaders tying the policy to their view of scripture, and opining that black men and women had inherited the curse of Ham.
    Posted by airborne-rgr

Obama's church was straight up racist until at least 2008, and probably still is today.

You OK with that?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Media's Mormon obsession continues: WaPost headlines 'Mormon Militia' Action 150 Years Ago : You are soo right thatthey are not equivalent.  How Obama sat in a church for 20 years that is openly and agressively racist is beyond me.  Romney's church, over in Belmont, I don't think has such a theology.
    Posted by skeeter20

Except that he did no such thing.  Rev. Wright's statements may be viewed by some as racist, but that does not impugn the whole church or its congregation...

...any more than homophobic preachers railing about executing gays does for their congregations.  I'm a religious cynic, and even I realize that.

It's "beyond you" simple because you don't agree...but again, you trying to compare Wright's church with the LDS church makes no sense at all. 

And btw, if you support any preacher's right to address political issues from the pulpit under ANY circumstances, then you must support Rev. Wright's right as well.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

What exactly was the 'slam'?
    That they had the temerity to write about the history of the church?

Right, it was just happenstance that the Washington Post decided to run a piece detailing some of the terrible things that members of the LDS church did 150 years ago. I can't imagine a reason why they felt the need to do that now.

Holy crony capitalsim Obamaman, are you really that stupid?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Let's go back to Kenya to find out what Obama's peeps were up to 150 years ago. That should be interesting and completely relevant. Don't you think?
    Posted by StalkingButler

Seeing as his 'peeps' were being enslaved, oppressed and murdered by colonial powers, that might not be the most favorable (or relevant) comparison...

...but have at it, if you feel you must.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to "Re: Media's Mormon obsession continues: WaPost headlines 'Mormon Militia' Action 150 Years Ago":
    In Response to Re: Media's Mormon obsession continues: WaPost headlines 'Mormon Militia' Action 150 Years Ago : Except that he did no such thing.  Rev. Wright's statements may be viewed by some as racist, but that does not impugn the whole church or its congregation... ...any more than homophobic preachers railing about executing gays does for their congregations.  I'm a religious cynic, and even I realize that. It's "beyond you" simple because you don't agree...but again, you trying to compare Wright's church with the LDS church makes no sense at all.  And btw, if you support any preacher's right to address political issues from the pulpit under ANY circumstances, then you must support Rev. Wright's right as well. Posted by MattyScornD
    The role of the minister is to teach the congregation in the word. The word Wright was teaching was black liberation theology. The few snippets we hear are only the tip of the iceberg. As far as the rest, I would condemn Romney if he sat in one of those churches, just as Obama did to Christianity in general, you know, those of us clinging bitterly to our bibles and our guns. Political issues are addressed from the pulpit all the time. There is no prohibition against that. I fully support rev. Wrights ability to address political issues. He just does so in a racist, black liberation theology way. I disagree with what he has said, politically and spiritually. He is a hate filled man. And Obama sat there for 20 years and soaked it up.

Sections
Shortcuts