Michigan leads the nation

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

Re: Michigan leads the nation

And you can say with a straight face that none of the money from dues winds up in that PAC (keep in mind, I consider money winding up in the bosses pockets as dues)? I've got a bridge to sell you if so.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

In response to dcr400m's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There is significant research that shows 'right-to-work' laws have no postive impact on job creation and in some cases even decreases job opportunities.

As far as I know, nobody, anywhere, is "forced" to unionize, per state and federal law, and the decision to do so cannot be held against the employee's status of employment.

If anything, some industries could use more unions, not fewer.

[/QUOTE]

Matty is right obviously but let me add more - if its so important for a person to be able to "draft" (like NASCAR cars do) on to the benefits won by unions, then in return shouldn't unions be able to freely fight for their existance. A right to work law should also imply a right to unionize without impedence as well.

On additional thought: Michigan has a full GOP death grip on the government - full one party rule - this action was done by breaking every rule, following every twisty path to ram this thru in the dark of night witout any debate public or otherwise. 

Shouldn't you wingnuts OBJECT to this? - this is being rammed down the states throats....this is being done by a one party rule that you object to so passionately - oh wait, its not the Democratic Party - so its all OK! 

BS and hypocrisy cubed!

[/QUOTE]

A one party grip longterm creates corruption; just look at Massachusetts.

Short term a one party grip can help recenter the pendulum, but a divided government is a better government.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

I do think it is shameful to pushy through bills with majority power without debate or even talking to the opposition about ways to make it bi-partisan.

The sad truth is when the world leader condones it; it's hard to shame others for following suit!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to TFefio's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If the overweight palookas in the union are going to show up at these rallies maybe they should have paramedics on hand for Them. 

[/QUOTE]

Maybe you should grow a pair and get involved yourself, seeing as the union is firmly on the "anti-govt" side this time.

Somehow I doubt you would....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to massmoderateJoe's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Short term a one party grip can help recenter the pendulum, but a divided government is a better government.

[/QUOTE]

The same corrupting dynamic also affects some industries and vertical-centered corporations...often via their outsized access to pols and influence on policy discussions.

Like you say, a balanced power structure - in these terms, between labor and management - is an ideal one.

In a post-Citizens United world, unified labor groups have just as much right to consolidate political support than any other private sector interest does.  The companies and ownership don't like it one bit and are seeking to remove unions altogether from the discussion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to UserName99's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to undead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Did you ever consider that each individual has a right to donate to a political campaign on their own?

After all, just because someone in a union doesn't mean they're going to vote for the guy the bosses want.

[/QUOTE]

That's not how it works. Your dues are not used for political contributions, because it's not legal. Unions have separate PAC, to which members may contribute IF THEY WISH

[/QUOTE]

" Your dues are not used for political contributions"

I just spit beer all over my keyboard.

Really. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to WhichOnesPink2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Sistersledge's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TFefio's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Anyone watch that palooka almost have a heart attack while taking a swing at the kid from FOX? The kid took a full shot on the face from the blow hard that suckered him and walked away almost laughing. Meanwhile the rest of the union canned Hams with hard hats tried to tear down a tent with woman and old people inside. If the overweight palookas in the union are going to show up at these rallies maybe they should have paramedics on hand for Them. 

[/QUOTE]

You would be amazed at the phyiscal shape of my Union Brothers and Sisters.

[/QUOTE]

If you're saying they're in good physical shape then I would be amazed. I've been around the firefighter world all my life. The shape many firefighters are in is absolutely reprehensible. From my own experience more are out of shape than in shape. One of my good friends is a fire chief. He's out of shape and he admits how out of shape his dept is. The in shape guys are the exception.

[/QUOTE]

We are a very Prideful Department with a long and outstanding tradition of being  aggressive inside firefighters. As an older officer I myself try to set an example to the younger guys to stay in shape. If they want to be on the working end of 1 3/4 or a 2 1/2 inch hose line they better keep up with me because that is where the "ACTION" is .

BTW I also tell the kids if they want to enjoy the benefits of a good pension they have to keep themselves  in good shape so they can be around for along time ........

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

@ WhichOnesPink by bringing as much enthusiasm as I can to work each tour I can help develop an esprit de corps in the members of the engine company and ladder company that works out of my station. Our esprit de corps and our constant training and classroom work helps us become a very effective unit which benefits our real bosses ...... the tax payers.

BTW I don't agree with you sometimes but the more I read your comments I see you are very committed to what your beliefs and I respect that .

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The same corrupting dynamic also affects some industries and vertical-centered corporations...often via their outsized access to pols and influence on policy discussions.

Like you say, a balanced power structure - in these terms, between labor and management - is an ideal one.

In a post-Citizens United world, unified labor groups have just as much right to consolidate political support than any other private sector interest does.  The companies and ownership don't like it one bit and are seeking to remove unions altogether from the discussion.

[/QUOTE]

The PACS were required due to the over represented union clout.  Take some wind out of the unions influence and we wouldn't need the Koch Brothers.

The government has turned into law the great battle cries of the unions; FSLA, OSHA and the list goes on.  The unions are now irrelevant for the workers and and more relevant for political action.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The PACS were required due to the over represented union clout.  Take some wind out of the unions influence and we wouldn't need the Koch Brothers.

The government has turned into law the great battle cries of the unions; FSLA, OSHA and the list goes on.  The unions are now irrelevant for the workers and and more relevant for political action.

[/QUOTE]

That's just not true.  The unions never had those kind of numbers and, as it turns out, still don't.

You're pretty foolish if you think right-leaning lobbying is only a quid pro quo for left-leaning lobbying.

And you're plain idiotic if you think basic worker protections like bodily safety and equitable standards could have been achieved without unified support from labor.

In many professions, the unions are all they have protecting their jobs.  And don't look now, but the rise in minority population - which believes very strongly in workers rights and immigration reform - is going to bring some of these issues to a head very soon.

And that's EXACTLY why some on the right are trying to eliminate unions altogether...to preserve their own power structure at the expense of the middle class.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to skeeter20's comment:

I just spit beer all over my keyboard.

Boozing at noon. No wonder!

[/QUOTE]

I know.  You would think I'm an auto worker.

15. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts