MIDTERMS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

MIDTERMS

When is the last time a sitting President openly offered NOT to appear with vulnerable party candidates in an open address?

Apparrently yesterday, President Obama did just that. See story below.

"President Barack Obama sounded the alarm on midterm elections again Thursday, warning that the party's candidates will get "clobbered" in November unless they encourage their constituencies to get out the vote.

“The challenge is that our politics in Washington have become so toxic that people just lose faith,” Obama told Democratic donors at the home of former Miami Heat star Alonzo Mourning, according to a transcript of his remarks. “They say, ‘Y’know what, it doesn’t matter, I’m not that interested, I’m not gonna vote.’ And that’s especially true during the midterms.”

The President said women, blacks and Hispanics are more likely to vote in presidential elections, with positive results for Democrats.

"But in midterms we get clobbered -- either because we don’t think it’s important or we’ve become so discouraged about what’s happening in Washington that we think it’s not worth our while," he said, according to the transcript.

Low Democratic turnout during non-presidential elections is one reason the deck is stacked against the party going into Nov. 4. Obama has repeatedly urged Democrats to focus on state-level races this year even though they're less "sexy" than national contests, and has reportedlyoffered to stay out of races where his appearance with a vulnerable candidate could do damage."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/obama-democrats-clobbered-midterms

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Re: MIDTERMS

I feel a lot of democrats want nothing to do with Obama as they get out and try to fool the people into voting for them again. If I were a Dem fighting for my job, I would not want Obama anywhere near my rally. They have to distance themselves if they are going to have any chance. Unless things greatly change over the next seven months. IMO.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to newman09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I feel a lot of democrats want nothing to do with Obama as they get out and try to fool the people into voting for them again. If I were a Dem fighting for my job, I would not want Obama anywhere near my rally. They have to distance themselves if they are going to have any chance. Unless things greatly change over the next seven months. IMO.

[/QUOTE]

newman,

Though I do not agree with your phrase " ...fool them into voting for them again..." I threw up the thread because we are only in March and Obama has come right out and said stay away from me if you need to. I have no problem with that. I found that a little surprising this early.

Of course IMO he is a pragmatic man and this is what his pramitism tells him...versus his pride. So I basically agree with you.

Btw, you would not want all Democrats defeated would you? Imagine a HoR 100% GOP as well as a Senate controlled by the GOP. Some of us would be jumping off the highest roofs we could find. ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"When is the last time a sitting President openly offered NOT to appear with vulnerable party candidates in an open address?"

Bush did it.

(Hey, just used the same three words used by liberals  to excuse Obama's many failures for the past 5 years...)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"When is the last time a sitting President openly offered NOT to appear with vulnerable party candidates in an open address?"

Bush did it.

(Hey, just used the same three words used by liberals  to excuse Obama's many failures for the past 5 years...)

[/QUOTE]

Heh-

You showed your sense of humor, CLC.

Nice to see it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

newman,

Though I do not agree with your phrase " ...fool them into voting for them again..." I threw up the thread because we are only in March and Obama has come right out and said stay away from me if you need to. I have no problem with that. I found that a little surprising this early.

Of course IMO he is a pragmatic man and this is what his pramitism tells him...versus his pride. So I basically agree with you.

Btw, you would not want all Democrats defeated would you? Imagine a HoR 100% GOP as well as a Senate controlled by the GOP. Some of us would be jumping off the highest roofs we could find. ;)

[/QUOTE]

No, I would not want all democrats defeated, just the ones that deserve to be. There are some good dems out there. 

Agree, for him to come out and say "stay away from me if you need to" is so telling. Just over a year ago Obama was celebrating his second inauguration party and all was well. Now democrat strategist and campaign managers feel distancing themselves from Obamas failed policies will give their representatives the best chance to victory. What a turn around!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The points about turnout and state-level races should be well-heeded, IMO.  The GOP gained a lot of ground by stacking many statehouses for the Rs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Wondering if the lib's around here think this is a good strategy? Distancing themselves...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

[QUOTE]

Wondering if the lib's around here think this is a good strategy? Distancing themselves...

[/QUOTE]

I don't think its a good strategy at all.  Their opponents aren't going to avoid linking them with Obama whether they distance themselves or not.

Are republican candidates going to distance themselves from the GOP led Congress?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think its a good strategy at all.  Their opponents aren't going to avoid linking them with Obama whether they distance themselves or not.

Are republican candidates going to distance themselves from the GOP led Congress?

[/QUOTE]

So, this is what you would advise client? Embrase it. Sounds like a winnner...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sure.  Why not?  He hasn't started any wars, wants to raise the minimum wage, and bringing our healthcare system into this century.

Beats the GOP platform:  Screaming Benghazi, IRS, and ObamaCare over and over.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sure.  Why not?  He hasn't started any wars, wants to raise the minimum wage, and bringing our healthcare system into this century.

Beats the GOP platform:  Screaming Benghazi, IRS, and ObamaCare over and over.

[/QUOTE]

Well he hasn't started any wars yet, I'll give you that one. But the whole healthcare thing? Is exactly the reason they are retreating form Obama, and prefer that he not stand next to them on stage. Too many camara's around.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to WhatNowDoYouWant's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I tend to agree with newman here: Threatened Dems in these races are regretting their name on Obamacare. If any further indication is needed, it's that the deadline keeps getting pushed back. And back.

At this point, I honestly would not be surprised to hear that it gets set back again, to 3/1/17.

Now, maybe they ultimately end up fixing Obamacare's flaws, which seem largely to do with the regulations governing minimum acceptability for plans, the precise level of penalty, and the tiers of subsidy.

But right now, enough voters have enough of a negative view that Obamacare and indeed Obama himself are not exactly stellar campaigning tools....   

[/QUOTE]

So does this mean you believe Obama did the right thing by openly offering to stay away from any vulnerable candidates in the midterms?