Missouri School Districts Start Training Teachers To Carry Concealed Weapons In Classroom

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Missouri School Districts Start Training Teachers To Carry Concealed Weapons In Classroom

In response to the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, in 2012 that left 20 children and six staff members dead, some school districts in Missouri have started training teachers to carry concealed weapons in classrooms.

For a $17,500 fee, districts that opt in to the 40-hour program receive training for two staffers from current law enforcement officers through the Shield Solutions training school. Teachers are required to spend five hours in a classroom and 35 hours on the range with the required firearm, a Glock 19 semi-automatic pistol. Ten districts have undergone the training thus far, with three more having signed contracts and even more in negotiations, according to The Kansas City Star.

After completing the program, qualified teachers then technically become Shield Solutions employees and receive a "nominal stipend," Don Crowley, training supervisor for Shield Solutions, told The Huffington Post on Monday.

"They become an employee of Shield Solutions in that if they are called upon to dispatch a threat, then that is when they hold a duty to Shield Solutions to do so," Crowley explained.

Moreover, only school district administrators, fellow program members and local law enforcement will be privy to the identities of the teachers trained to carry concealed weapons.

In an effort to avoid harming the wrong students, teachers will also be armed with a special type of bullet designed to lodge inside the first body it makes contact with.

Young school children will also be prohibited from hugging their teachers if they are carrying concealed weapons in order to avoid detection of the firearm.

“Kids in elementary age like to hug their teachers, but students cannot put their hands on you,” Crowley added. “They can knuckle bump, they can shake hands, but hugs are no longer appropriate.”

Since Sandy Hook, at least 74 school shootings have occurred, averaging more than one each week that school was in session.

In response, the Missouri Legislature passed a bill last month permitting trained teachers or administrators to carry concealed weapons in the classroom. The bill, which awaits Gov. Jay Nixon’s (D) signature, would also lower the age requirement for a concealed carry permit from 21 to 19.

Crowley viewed the legislation as unnecessary, however, calling the bill a “reiteration of a law that already exists under [Missouri Revised Statutes] Chapter 571, which says concealed weapons are unlawful unless the school board or the governing body of that school district okays it.”

Several states have approved similar legislation, despite opposition from many school administrators.

G.A. Buie, principal of Eudora High School in Kansas and president-elect of the National Association of Secondary School Principals, opposes arming teachers.

“We would be asking school officials, trained as educators, to make a quick transition from teacher to SWAT member, arrive on the scene, assess the situation, overcome the severe nervousness that naturally accompanies a deadly force incident and take immediate action before blood is shed,” he told the Star on Sunday. “It’s a bit more than you can cover in a typical teacher in-service.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/23/missouri-teachers-concealed-weapons_n_5522708.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: Missouri School Districts Start Training Teachers To Carry Concealed Weapons In Classroom

When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: Missouri School Districts Start Training Teachers To Carry Concealed Weapons In Classroom

Why don't more schools institute a School Resource Officer? I know in MA there are many schools that do so. That way you have a trained officer to handle a situation where a gunman is involved. Canada also has instituted SRO's in many of the schools there. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

Why don't more schools institute a School Resource Officer? I know in MA there are many schools that do so. That way you have a trained officer to handle a situation where a gunman is involved. Canada also has instituted SRO's in many of the schools there. 

That's a vastly better idea than declaring a school to be a "gun free zone" and then expecting that to be enough.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

That's a vastly better idea than declaring a school to be a "gun free zone" and then expecting that to be enough.

I saw a great E card that said...

"I feel safer in "gun-free" zones because criminals aren't allowed to use guns in them.

That's the way it works...right?"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to WhatNowDoYouWant's comment:

We have by far the most guns per capita and most gun violence per capita.

Saying that we need to allow more guns in more places to prevent gun violence sounds to me rather like saying that all we need is more cops going after drugs to end drug problems.

At any rate, wouldn't you prefer someone trained to deal with these situations to be there rather than random civilians (ie, teachers)? Cops miss all the time when returning fire. I'd expect a civilian to do even worse.

Sure, we have lots of guns, most of them in the wrong places to be useful.  And, when seconds count, running to  the opposite end of the house/school to get the key for the trigger lock is, well, not useful.

So, I say put the existing guns in more useful places, and make them more operational for emergencies.

But, I am not so sure I want members of teachers union with guns.  That's just insane.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ronreganfan's comment:

But, I am not so sure I want members of teachers union with guns.  That's just insane.

What does the union have to do with anything, and what is "insane" about it?

If, as you and other pro-gun folks claim, that more guns in public will prevent more crimes, then why exclude one occupation over another, despite their union?  Police belong to unions, too.

Do you even listen to what you say...??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Saying that we need to allow more guns in more places to prevent gun violence sounds to me rather like saying that all we need is more cops going after drugs to end drug problems.

At any rate, wouldn't you prefer someone trained to deal with these situations to be there rather than random civilians (ie, teachers)? Cops miss all the time when returning fire. I'd expect a civilian to do even worse.

Sure, we have lots of guns, most of them in the wrong places to be useful.  And, when seconds count, running to  the opposite end of the house/school to get the key for the trigger lock is, well, not useful.

So, I say put the existing guns in more useful places, and make them more operational for emergencies.

What is a more "useful" place? And what do you consider as "more operational for emergencies"? One of the biggest issues I have with some gun owners is their inability to securely lock up their guns. Too many stories of kids finding daddies gun laying around loaded. That is beyond moronic. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I prefer the idea of the resource officer being in the school. You'll have a trained officer, in case a gunman does enter a school, already on the premises. He/She not only has the ability to assess and handle the situation but also call in back-up much quicker.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

If, as you and other pro-gun folks claim, that more guns in public will prevent more crimes, then why exclude one occupation over another, despite their union?  Police belong to unions, too.

Your problem is:

no sense of humor.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

What is a more "useful" place? And what do you consider as "more operational for emergencies"? One of the biggest issues I have with some gun owners is their inability to securely lock up their guns. Too many stories of kids finding daddies gun laying around loaded. That is beyond moronic. 

It is a double edge sword with proper gun safety.  Many idiots out there.  However, basically incapacitating my gun use because of some idiot who cannot manage their guns is problematic.  If seconds really do count, making my gun inoperable for an extended period of time while someone is attacking me, gfor example, is making it less operational for emergencies.

It makes sense to me to make guns more available at school, rather than less available, if that's where the problem is.  that's a useful place for people to have guns, in some measure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

It is a double edge sword with proper gun safety.  Many idiots out there.  However, basically incapacitating my gun use because of some idiot who cannot manage their guns is problematic.  If seconds really do count, making my gun inoperable for an extended period of time while someone is attacking me, gfor example, is making it less operational for emergencies.

It makes sense to me to make guns more available at school, rather than less available, if that's where the problem is.  that's a useful place for people to have guns, in some measure.

Who said anything about making your gun "inoperable"? I'm talking about people who leave loaded weapons in the open. And by "open" I mean not locked up. Just because a gun is in a night stand doesn't mean it's in a safe place. Kids get into things....that's what kids do.

Kids will also get into things such as a teachers desk at school as well. If a teacher isn't carrying said gun on them then it would most definitely have to be locked up. Again why I say schools should have resource officers. Trained professional to handle a gunman situation. Prefer an officer over a teacher any day of the week.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Your problem is:

no sense of humor.

Your problem is:

no sense.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Your problem is:

no sense of humor.

Your problem is:

no sense.

You lack the gene of wit as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Who said anything about making your gun "inoperable"? I'm talking about people who leave loaded weapons in the open. And by "open" I mean not locked up. Just because a gun is in a night stand doesn't mean it's in a safe place. Kids get into things....that's what kids do.

Kids will also get into things such as a teachers desk at school as well. If a teacher isn't carrying said gun on them then it would most definitely have to be locked up. Again why I say schools should have resource officers. Trained professional to handle a gunman situation. Prefer an officer over a teacher any day of the week.

Yah, I though I addressed that with the plenty of idiots out there comment. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

So, make schools gun free zones.  It is like chumming for crazies.  

When another school attack happens, don't flip out and further restrict the rights of lawful gun owners that had nothing to do with the shooting because you refused to address the real issue.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Your problem is:

no sense of humor.

Your problem is:

no sense.

You don't know what you're talking about, as usual.

Good news is you make every other poster look exceptional by comparison.  Kudos for lowering the bar.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Your problem is:

no sense of humor.

Your problem is:

no sense.

You don't know what you're talking about, as usual.

Good news is you make every other poster look exceptional by comparison.  Kudos for lowering the bar.

Wow. Just wow.

Once again, you are at the train station when your ship comes in.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Yah, I though I addressed that with the plenty of idiots out there comment. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

When another school attack happens, don't flip out and further restrict the rights of lawful gun owners that had nothing to do with the shooting because you refused to address the real issue.

What part of me being in favor of a School Resource Officer (which is a cop) did you not get?

And where did I advocate restricting rights of lawful gun owners? It would be helpful if you didn't have imaginary conversations going on in your head and stuck with what I'm ACTUALLY posting. Just sayin.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

What part of me being in favor of a School Resource Officer (which is a cop) did you not get?

And where did I advocate restricting rights of lawful gun owners? It would be helpful if you didn't have imaginary conversations going on in your head and stuck with what I'm ACTUALLY posting. Just sayin.....

No, I get it.  No need to attack me.  It is your positions on these things that allow others to call for restricting guns.  No need for you to do it, others will gladly comply.

Every time there is an incident involving a gun at a school, the progressive crazies want to take all the guns and outlaw them.  That is not hyperbole, that is what happened in Connecticut.

Also, You are conflating two separate issues: idiots with guns, and allowing guns at schools, your version being something called a school resource officer.  

but, back to the school safety officer: sub optimal solution, better than nothing, but one or two armed officers wandering around a school is not as effective as the uncertainty of several armed teachers/administrators. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

No, I get it.  No need to attack me.  It is your positions on these things that allow others to call for restricting guns.  No need for you to do it, others will gladly comply.

Every time there is an incident involving a gun at a school, the progressive crazies want to take all the guns and outlaw them.  That is not hyperbole, that is what happened in Connecticut.

Also, You are conflating two separate issues: idiots with guns, and allowing guns at schools, your version being something called a school resource officer.  

but, back to the school safety officer: sub optimal solution, better than nothing, but one or two armed officers wandering around a school is not as effective as the uncertainty of several armed teachers/administrators. 

My position of wanting more schools to have a RSO allows for progressives to take your guns away? Um....hahaha....ok....

I've seen my fair share of people who think they're a good shot only to see how horrendous a shot they really are. Now add in being scared with adrenaline coursing through their body....what a disaster. I'm pretty sure one highly trained police officer is more than enough to take care of a lone gunman. 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to jedwardnicky's comment:

My position of wanting more schools to have a RSO allows for progressives to take your guns away? Um....hahaha....ok....

I've seen my fair share of people who think they're a good shot only to see how horrendous a shot they really are. Now add in being scared with adrenaline coursing through their body....what a disaster. I'm pretty sure one highly trained police officer is more than enough to take care of a lone gunman. 

It's odd that Skeeter would consider teachers to be union hacks, but at the same time think they should be armed. 

Am I skeeter? Let me check.... Nope. Still not skeeter.

what don't you think teachers can handle guns? Or are they yeller?

but, here's the bigger points:

creating yet another government position, one that is sort of a police officer in the school, with a gun, just creates another stomach in the big government scheme that needs to be fed and needs to grow.  Example: how did the Patriot act turn out for the American people? How did the EPA turn out?  These things start off as good ideas and quickly become entrenched government/union interests that are impossible to back out.

second point: if the left would stop their demo missing crusade against guns, things would return closer to normal.  That's what John Lott's research show, and it is worth a read.

as far as schools: if you have a society where some number of  law abiding people are armed, crazies and crooks are less likely to have a go at whatever they have in mind.  When guns show up to these crazy shootings, that's when the perp usually turns the gun on themselves.  How much better to hasten that action.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

second point: if the left would stop their demo missing crusade against guns, things would return closer to normal.  That's what John Lott's research show, and it is worth a read.

What do you mean by "return closer to normal"? 

So far, there hasn't been any federal legislation put in place that prevents people from buying a gun since Obama's been in office. I don't say that to defend him, lord knows I have no allegiance to Obama, but as a matter of fact. If anything, gun company's have made crazy money during Obama's administration. People keep talking about how he's going to take their guns and gun rights away yet it hasn't happened. My brother lives in CA, one of the strictest states, and he got his gun license and has purchased a 1911, 9M, and AR-15 all during Obama's administration. I dunno...not sure what the issue is... 

Sections
Shortcuts