More jobs? Not in MA, Friendly's bites the dust.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

More jobs? Not in MA, Friendly's bites the dust.

Look for the unemployment line to get a bit longer. With 29 stores closing in Massachusetts, and figure a minimum of 7 employees per store for a total of 203. Toss in management for group stores and bring that up to, 210 give or take.

Now add in the effect it has on businesses that relied on Friendly's as their client/customer. This could include paper companies, food suppliers, banks, trash haulers, towns (permit fees, taxes) ...the list goes on. I think you get the point.

Things are not getting better, fools believe we are just fine and things are better than when Bush was in charge. This is just not the truth. Fools will vote Obama back into office, or another candidate that thinks the status quo is the way to go. When thinking about the next POTUS, think more on who will be the financial advisers on staff. This becomes more important than the puppet in charge. Quite honestly, all the candidates are nothing more than puppets. I want to know who is pulling their strings.

MA closings:

Massachusetts Ave., Acton

Pleasant St., Attleboro

Boston Rd., Billerica

Broad St., Bridgewater

Belmont St., Brockton

Austin St., Charlestown

East St., Chicopee

Providence Pike, Dedham

John Fitch Plaza, Fitchburg

Central St., Foxboro

Federal St., Greenfield

Hanover Mall, Hanover

Mall at Whitney Field, Leominster

Monument Square, Leominster

Main St., Medfield

Chestnut St., Needham

Independence Ave., Quincy

Main St., Southbridge

Wilbraham Rd., Springfield

Washington St., Stoughton

Broadway, Taunton

Main St., Ware

Cranberry Highway, Wareham

West Boylston St., West Boylston

Main St., West Harwich

Westfield St., West Springfield

Turnpike Rd., Westboro

Church St., Whitinsville

Main St., Worcester

Park Ave., Worcester

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

Re: More jobs? Not in MA, Friendly's bites the dust.

Overpriced.. lousy service.. dirty.. kinda like the democratic party these days.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

This is one you can't Blame on the Government.  Even as a kid I never liked their fries.  There is a niche for Friendly's but its not profitable.  Friendly's works well for young families and blue heads from 4-6 PM for dinner, as I know first hand by going there with grandkids.

But the food is bland, the place is dated and not in a cool way.  They failed to adapt and hold there market share, just like Brigham who had the best Raspberry Limerickies.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

...Government is not fully blamed, but do have a hand in this when you look at the big picture.

The food is bland and they do cater to certain folks, but if a cheap food place can't stay above water in a bad economy doesn't that speak volumes?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

Watermelon coolers.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EmersonCat. Show EmersonCat's posts

Friendly's bites anyhow.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

In Response to Re: More jobs? Not in MA, Friendly's bites the dust.:
    [QUOTE]Friendly's bites anyhow.
    Posted by EmersonCat[/QUOTE]

....the only reason you think that is because they don't serve liquid lunches. Your wife must find you a joy to be around.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Never cared for them.  Applied for a job with them when I was a teenager and got rejected for no good reason.   Lousy food, there are a lot of fast food options out there now,  they didn't keep up.      There is a niche for Friendly's but its not profitable.  Friendly's works well for young families and blue heads from 4-6 PM for dinner [copied from  MassmoderateJoe]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I can honestly say it's been over 10 years since I set foot in a Friendly's.

Re: ice cream - there are several fine farm/local stands all within 3 miles of my home. [every one staffed by 15 year olds fully able to scoop ice cream]

Given the fate of Brigham's - which at one time was far superior - why are we so surprised...??

I also didn't see anyone complain when Carvel migrated to a freezer in my local supermarket.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

P.S.  Anyone so disturbingly ignorant enough to blame or even connect Obama for the demise of Friendly's...

...is long overdue for a severe reality check...(preferably involving a lobotomy or brick wall).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]... but if a cheap food place can't stay above water in a bad economy doesn't that speak volumes?
    Posted by OAMLFO[/QUOTE]

No, it just sort of mumbles and drools...sound familiar?

Look up: Demand, Lack Of

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More jobs? Not in MA, Friendly's bites the dust. : No, it just sort of mumbles and drools...sound familiar? Look up: Demand, Lack Of
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

.....I'm sorry, did you say something?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More jobs? Not in MA, Friendly's bites the dust. : .....I'm sorry, did you say something?
    Posted by OAMLFO[/QUOTE]

Don't be sorry...your illiteracy is probably not your fault.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8ter2008. Show sk8ter2008's posts

The good thing about a bad economy is it weeds out the weak competition and when it rebounds the remaining businesses will be stronger. It's like Darwinism for business.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More jobs? Not in MA, Friendly's bites the dust. : Don't be sorry...your illiteracy is probably not your fault.

....I'm sorry, I don't follow? Please explain to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More jobs? Not in MA, Friendly's bites the dust. : ....I'm sorry, I don't follow? Please explain to me.
    Posted by OAMLFO[/QUOTE]

Try hooked on phonics, then give it another shot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4286401. Show user_4286401's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More jobs? Not in MA, Friendly's bites the dust. : Try hooked on phonics, then give it another shot.

....no, you are the wise one. I want you to esplains it to mees.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]Bailey's was a New England tradition, and a great loss. But they didn't go public, have over 500 restaurants and 10's of 1000's of employees. But Stoneham ain't on the list
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Baileys was great, classic New England farm stand style gone to development.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

P.S.  Anyone so disturbingly ignorant enough to blame or even connect Obama for the demise of Friendly's...
    ...is long overdue for a severe reality check...(preferably involving a lobotomy or brick wall).

no BLAME bucko. They should have been bailed out with tax dollars.
    In fact why don't we bail out all companys? Why pander to the auto and banking industries. That's not very fair and Obama is ALL about fair.
    What a few more trillion? We're in the flusher now anyway.
    Besides, think of all the votes this bailout could BUY.. Obama will need them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Friendly's has a solid brand, but like many other companies they are facing an uphill climb and need to restructure and reorganize.  One of the bigger complaints about Friendly's is their customer service was poor and their restaurants were not clean.  Those are structural issues that proper management could have addressed, but didn't.  Another problem is the company was spread to thin and tied to too many brick and mortar leases.  I buy Friendly's products all the time...from my grocers freezer because going to a full sit down restaurant for ice cream doesn't make much sense to me especially when there are dozens of mom and pop ice cream stands selling fresh made goodies that were made either the same day or at most perhaps a few days prior.  Their food service catered to seniors 9as does Denny's) but in an era where major food chains have been using 2 for 20 type deals for a couple of years Friendlys is only now getting around to offering value packaging for in store meals. 

I would imagine they will come out of bankrupcy smaller but more agile and perhaps down the line more profitable. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from KittyDuke. Show KittyDuke's posts

Damian.. maybe this will help your health issue.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: More jobs? Not in MA, Friendly's bites the dust. : ....no, you are the wise one. I want you to esplains it to mees.
    Posted by OAMLFO[/QUOTE]

If at this point you really have to ask, then you may never know.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

[QUOTE]Damian.. maybe this will help your health issue.
    Posted by KittyDuke[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you are on about, I don't have a "health issue"? 

Sections
Shortcuts