MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

Re: MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story

In Response to Re: MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story:
    [QUOTE]Except that the bit in CAPSLOCK is true. Are you disgusting? And/or from what other forum did you and this other camera person spill from?
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

I don't think Mr. O'donnell's comment on how people of color in the 22 other states have to beware as if there are lynchings going on in all states that have this stand your ground law is accurate he made the comment to arouse fear and spike emotions.

This was clearly an isolated incident and no reason to warn people of color in all other states and MSNBC is more interested in the race aspect of this as they continue to call the shooter a white male even though he is hispanic.  MSNBC has unknown motives for continuing to report on this story incorrectly.

As for the camera guy, he is a poster on the baseball forum and he has like a million screenames and annoys everyone. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]And some people idiotically demand impeachment of Presidents when they do stupid sh*t....       As for police cover-up, I am at least pondering why the man is free if, as reported, you can hear the victim pleading before he is shot on a 911 tape.

I agree, absolutely it happens on both sides.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Everything I've read shows Zimmerman to be a rejected cop wanna-be who is reported to have called 911 to report suspicious event over 50 times.  That tapped called as recounted with Martin begging for hi slife is damning evidence against Zimmerman and I don't understand why he is free right now.

This is being turned into a "stand your ground" issue which it isn't by some left talking heads because it meets thier needs to go after a principle they don't like.  Letting people believe that Zimmerman a light skinned hispanic is white also plays into the left's talking heads message that this is a hate crime and we need to take away all the guns is also BS.

This on the surface appears to be the unfortunate result of an insecure young man who had some problems which resulted in his stalking and shooting of an unarmed kid who felt threatend by the gunman.  Terrible story in which the victim should have walked or ran away and the shooter should have followed the direction of the 911 dispatcher to not follow this individual.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]Everything I've read shows Zimmerman to be a rejected cop wanna-be who is reported to have called 911 to report suspicious event over 50 times.  That tapped called as recounted with Martin begging for hi slife is damning evidence against Zimmerman and I don't understand why he is free right now. This is being turned into a "stand your ground" issue which it isn't by some left talking heads because it meets thier needs to go after a principle they don't like.  Letting people believe that Zimmerman a light skinned hispanic is white also plays into the left's talking heads message that this is a hate crime and we need to take away all the guns is also BS. This on the surface appears to be the unfortunate result of an insecure young man who had some problems which resulted in his stalking and shooting of an unarmed kid who felt threatend by the gunman.  Terrible story in which the victim should have walked or ran away and the shooter should have followed the direction of the 911 dispatcher to not follow this individual.
    Posted by massmoderateJoe[/QUOTE]
    Exactly.  The left so desperately wants the shooter to be white though, why is that?  What political purpose does that serve for the left?  Why can't they just be satisfied with the facts that the shooter was Hispanic?  This is an unfortunate isolated incident that the left wants to turn into some sort of political gain for them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

My favorite part.....the Congressional Black Caucus is calling for a Congressional investigation.

Don't they have more important things to do??? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Interestingly, cases of "justifiable homicide have nearly quadrupled in FL since the stand your ground law was implemented.  In many areas the local police are just sending the case along to the Attorney General for review, who in turn has a long backlog of these cases to review.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]My favorite part.....the Congressional Black Caucus is calling for a Congressional investigation. Don't they have more important things to do??? 
    Posted by macnh1[/QUOTE]

Yes is this somehow an instance of national urgency?  The Senate can't pass a budget but the Congressional Black Caucus wants an investigation into this?  Ridiculous.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story : I'm not sure I follow. If the economy is bad, black people should just shut up about racism? It's certainly their business to demand an investigation. Whether they get it is another story. A Grand Jury in FL is already looking into it. What else motivated this? Zimmerman just wanted to kill someone - anyone - and his target just so happened to be a black person he immediately found "suspicious"? There's plenty of time for plenty of issues. Also, I hope you aren't under the impression that anyone in gov. is going to do anything about the economy before November. The disgusting and perverse nature of our political system means that things only really seem to happen in the 1 or 1.5 years leading up to an election.
    It does not require action by Congress.

As for the economy, I only know that if a Republican President were in the Oval Office and had 8.3% unemployment along with high gas prices, the narrative coming from the media would be completely different.  Instead of trying to say that we are on a slow and steady recovery and we can see the light at the end of the tunnel the media's narrative would be about how Americans are suffering and the economy is not improving enough and gas prices are strangling the average American family BUT......That is not the narrative as the media is in the tank for this administration so they try and put a rosey spin on things as much as possible.  I saw a study the other day about how the media reported on high gas prices 4x more when they rose during 2007-2008 under Bush than they do now under Obama and the tone of the stories was different.  Under Bush they personalized the reporting much more about how people were struggling and couldn't afford food or medication due to high gas prices but under Obama the reporting is much more about the macroeconomics of things and how it's about supply and demand and oil speculation etc.....as if oil speculators didn't exist 4 or 5 years ago.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story : Yes is this somehow an instance of national urgency?  The Senate can't pass a budget but the Congressional Black Caucus wants an investigation into this?  Ridiculous.
    Posted by Camelwalk[/QUOTE]

It's only ridiculous if you don't understand that black people are severely under-represented in Congress and the courts, OR

If you don't understand that racial profiling is very much an issue in this case.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story : Well I don't know. I hear an awful lot of the people on the right, here on BDC, saying that this is the "rosy" media story. But when I turn to my various print sources, the story I get is "the recession is over, that being a function of its definition. Unemployment is 8.3%, but millions have left the work force. I used to like Obama but what is going on?" Even the supposedly most left-leaning part of the NYT, the op-eds, usually express criticism of Obama and dissapointment. Where is this rosy story coming from in particular? MSNBC? Well if so, that again is why I completely avoid TV/Radio news. Its too much crap, too little substance, and a whole lot of flashy lights/trumpet sounds. Well I'll leave that to congress to say. Unless I know more about what exactly about the shooting is to be 'investigated', I cannot really express more. Again, I noted that a GJ in Florida is investigating criminal charges, so a congressinoal investigation may very well be superfluous. Then again, so is a lot of what congress does. I most certainly do not think it is "ridiculous" for black people to have a problem with this almost certainly racist shooting. Racism is rampant. It must be particularly stinging to be told by some (I'm not saying  you) that racism must be virtually eradicated if Obama is President... Frankly, we all should have a huge problem with it.

I have a problem with racism and I don't endorse it.  My point in starting this thread is that MSNBC is trying to score and gain political points with this story.  Then when I learned that the shooter was hispanic and not white and they continue to report that the shooter was white, that was it for me.  MSNBC tries (and I don't like this term) to play the race card in order to stir up their base of support.  The narrative of a hispanic man shooting a black man didn't do that for them so they stuck to the story of the shooter being white.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story : It's only ridiculous if you don't understand that black people are severely under-represented in Congress and the courts, OR If you don't understand that racial profiling is very much an issue in this case.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

This shooting is not an issue for Congress to be holding hearings on.  The State of Florida and the Justice Department headed by Erik Holder can deal with this.  Congress has more important things to do and even though the Congressional Black Caucus wants Congress to hold hearings on this they will disappointed because it won't happen.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story : This shooting is not an issue for Congress to be holding hearings on.  The State of Florida and the Justice Department headed by Erik Holder can deal with this.  Congress has more important things to do and even though the Congressional Black Caucus wants Congress to hold hearings on this they will disappointed because it won't happen.

Why aren't the black congressfolks allowed to hold a hearing on the legal efficacy of these so-called "stand your ground" laws that may have affected this tragedy and may have contributed to yet another untimely death of yet another black teenager...??

Of all the public discussions which can be tabled, I'm not sure this is one of them. (not as much as a hearing about bishops' attitudes toward female contraception anyway)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story : Why aren't the black congressfolks allowed to hold a hearing on the legal efficacy of these so-called "stand your ground" laws that may have affected this tragedy and may have contributed to yet another untimely death of yet another black teenager...?? Of all the public discussions which can be tabled, I'm not sure this is one of them. (not as much as a hearing about bishops' attitudes toward female contraception anyway)
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

What is the number of other black teenagers killed by this law?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story : What is the number of other black teenagers killed by this law?

One is too many.  But there has been a pattern of minority youths being singled out (profiled) and even killed by people in a position of authority.  Usually it is the police, but here citizens seem to have been deputized to act in similar fashion.  Reasonable people should be concerned by such deadly and disruptive matters. 

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story : One is too many.  But there has been a pattern of minority youths being singled out (profiled) and even killed by people in a position of authority.  Usually it is the police, but here citizens seem to have been deputized to act in similar fashion.  Reasonable people should be concerned by such deadly and disruptive matters. 
    Posted by Reubenhop[/QUOTE]

People are killed by guns and other weapons without having a law enacted. It seems that the rule of law will prevail here and if guilty of a crime Mr. Zimmerman will be prosecuted, the state of Florida and the Justice Department are involved. Since the shooting occured on February 26th how many other shootings have occured in the United States?  Why is this one of such importance to MSNBC and WHY do they continue to report that the shooter is white and not Hispanic?  What is the purpose of not reporting on his race accurately???

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story : Wrong! Relatedly, that view point explains a lot of the right's ire at the left's ire at the AZ immigration law. In both cases the issue is NOT about the black letter text of the law. Instead, it's about the real-world pragmatic view of how people's behavior can change in light of the law. And the potential point here is that if you have a "stand your ground" law, where there is no "duty to flee," individuals become far more likely to shoot when it is not at all necessary. And perhaps the laxity of the law explains somewhat why the man is still free (though I still don't get it given the recordings) And bear in mind, "duty to flee" doesn't necssarily mean that much. It means "flee if you can". So if a marathoner is approached by a man with a knife, still 20 feet away, the marathoner has no business whipping out a gun and shooting him if he can sprint away. I agree that this case is a little different though, because it sounds like this Zimmerman fellow is off in the head, wanted to play cop, and somewhere along the line lost his sh*t and simply executed the poor kid.

I stand by my point.  This is being turned into a "stand your ground" issue which it isn't liked by some left talking heads because it meets their needs to go after a principle they don't like.

And the potential point here is that if you have a "stand your ground" law, where there is no "duty to flee," individuals become far more likely to shoot when it is not at all necessary. And perhaps the laxity of the law explains somewhat why the man is still free (though I still don't get it given the recordings)

Yes duty to flee is subjective; but its clearly not permission to follow, chase and confront.  That action negates any protection understand your ground; Mr. Zimmerman will be charged soon.

Yes this case is different and not simply a test of stand your ground, which I support 100%.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from altonjones. Show altonjones's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story : One is too many.  But there has been a pattern of minority youths being singled out (profiled) and even killed by people in a position of authority.  Usually it is the police, but here citizens seem to have been deputized to act in similar fashion.  Reasonable people should be concerned by such deadly and disruptive matters. 

The shooter should be held responsible, pending a criminal investigation.  Innocent until proven guilty, perhaps the Sanford Police Dept. acted stupidly.

MSNBC mis-representing the facts is a disgrace, Rev. Al Sharpton and Rev. Jesse Jackson make their living on stuff like this.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story:
    [QUOTE]The liberal network is so hyped about this story as it is the 2nd story on Chris Matthew's show Hardball tonight.  Really Mr. Matthews?  What does this awful occurence have to do with politics?  Oh a white man shot a young black man, I see.......Any excuse to discuss race and racism is something MSNBC can't pass up.

You are a pathetic bottom feeder.  An unarmed 17 year old was pursued and shot and the shooter went home and has stayed home and your takeaway is to come down on MSNBC? 

For you it is, any excuse to feed the fire of divisiveness.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story : You are a pathetic bottom feeder.  An unarmed 17 year old was pursued and shot and the shooter went home and has stayed home and your takeaway is to come down on MSNBC?  For you it is, any excuse to feed the fire of divisiveness.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah as opposed to class warfare, get real the dems love divisiveness.

As for the young man who died yest it is tragic but what does MSNBC do they try to politicize it.  Still nobody can answer me as to why they have reported that it was a white man who killed this young black man, why have they not corrected themselves?  Do they not care about getting the story correct?  Or is there some other reason for reporting the story incorrectly?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story : People are killed by guns and other weapons without having a law enacted. It seems that the rule of law will prevail here and if guilty of a crime Mr. Zimmerman will be prosecuted, the state of Florida and the Justice Department are involved. Since the shooting occured on February 26th how many other shootings have occured in the United States?  Why is this one of such importance to MSNBC and WHY do they continue to report that the shooter is white and not Hispanic?  What is the purpose of not reporting on his race accurately???

The issue is not that a law should be enacted. It is that the law has not been followed and a homicide has gone uncharged. 

The white/hispanic designation by MSNBC is a completely secondary issue.  Zimmerman is hardly an Hispanic surname (Zimmerhombre?).  But either way there is an obvious racial angle to this matter.  Ignoring it would be foolish. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story : The issue is not that a law should be enacted. It is that the law has not been followed and a homicide has gone uncharged.  The white/hispanic designation by MSNBC is a completely secondary issue.  Zimmerman is hardly an Hispanic surname (Zimmerhombre?).  But either way there is an obvious racial angle to this matter.  Ignoring it would be foolish. 

Oh the issue of MSNBC falsely reporting on Mr. Zimmerman's race is not to be brushed aside.  Why do they report on him being white?  Nobody can tell me why....

What is the racial angle?  Are there tensions between the Hispanic and Black communities that MSNBC doesn't want to see bubble over in to all out war, so they are doing us a favor and saying the shooter is white?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story : Oh the issue of MSNBC falsely reporting on Mr. Zimmerman's race is not to be brushed aside.  Why do they report on him being white?  Nobody can tell me why.... What is the racial angle?  Are there tensions between the Hispanic and Black communities that MSNBC doesn't want to see bubble over in to all out war, so they are doing us a favor and saying the shooter is white?

Racial profiling is an obvious factor in this matter.  There are tensions between hispanics and blacks as well as whites and blacks. Others too.  And "hispanic" is not a racial designation, it is an ethnic designation.

And it is fairly obvious that you are alleging that the "liberal media" is bringing this up as some kind of attack on conservatives or as a means to deflect interest from the "sins" of the liberal establishment. Soon enough there will be an accusation of playing the "race card", and conservatives can go back to ignoring real issues in society once more.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: MSNBC in love with the Trayvon Martin story : Racial profiling is an obvious factor in this matter.  There are tensions between hispanics and blacks as well as whites and blacks. Others too.  And "hispanic" is not a racial designation, it is an ethnic designation. And it is fairly obvious that you are alleging that the "liberal media" is bringing this up as some kind of attack on conservatives or as a means to deflect interest from the "sins" of the liberal establishment. Soon enough there will be an accusation of playing the "race card", and conservatives can go back to ignoring real issues in society once more.

I would think that a "news network" would actually like to report the facts and not what they'd like the facts to be.

As for ethnicity/race I apologize for not using the correct terminology but it is splitting hairs.....MSNBC is still in the wrong and we both know why they're doing it.....they have an agenda and saying the shooter is hispanic doesn't help that agenda.