My 2 Cents on the Zimmerman case

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

My 2 Cents on the Zimmerman case

I'm OK With the verdict.  I would have been OK with Manslaughter, serve 3 years.  It's a tough case and but a kI'd walking home from the store is dead and it was avoidable.

i don't think race played any role in the case, but I understand the outrage.  I think the black community feels its hard for them to get justice and I think its ok for them to use the verdict to express it.  If the did feel they could get justice, they wouldn't react so strongly to the verdict.

TM was killed because Zimmerman wasn't qualified nor was he equipped to be an armed security guard.  Had Zim had a badge and a uniform and been driving a car clearly marked as a security guards vehicle and had appropriate training to follow/stop someone he suspected as being a criminal, then I think the chances are better that TM is still alive.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Re: My 2 Cents on the Zimmerman case

Untreated Mental Illness on Zimmerman's part and his ability to buy a gun are the elephants in the room in my opinion

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I don't understand how the Home Owners Association empowered this idiot to patrol the neighborhood with a gun.  Barney Fife without an Andy to hold on to his bullet.

if they wanted armed security guards, they should have gone out and hired one.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Zimmerman is clearly a wanna-be-cop.

The laws to obtain a gun in Florida are ridiculously easy.

Racial profiling was clearly at play by Zimmerman. 

Zimmerman was told to stand down by the actual police.

If he obeyed the real police, Martin would still be alive.

The only life that is truly over is that of Martin's.

The prosecution did even a worse job than the jury.

One can hope that the DOJ can pull together charges against Zimmerman that will stick.

One can also hope that Trayvon's family will find a way to celebrate his short life as well as take solace in the fact that this trial and this verdict did shine a spotlight on a multitude of problems in that part of our country.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think it was reasonable for Zimmerman to think that TM could be a burglar.  Even if he been white.  He was a stranger.  He didn't live in the area.  

I think Zimmerman did the right thing when he called the cops.  however, he should have listened to the 911 operator and not follow TM.  But, following TM wasn't illegal.  

What if TM had been a burglar?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:

I think it was reasonable for Zimmerman to think that TM could be a burglar.  Even if he been white.  He was a stranger.  He didn't live in the area.  

I think Zimmerman did the right thing when he called the cops.  however, he should have listened to the 911 operator and not follow TM.  But, following TM wasn't illegal.  

What if TM had been a burglar?  

DWL,

His father lived in that neighborhood. It was his second home.  So, he was not exactly a stranger. Divorced households out number intact 1st marriages. This is the norm.

The real police were on their way. The people trained to handle criminals and people who are not criminals...like 19 year Martin.

We know the what if Zimmerman had obeyed the police. Martin would be alive.

"Even if he were white." Benefit of the doubt. What did you mean when you wrote that?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to andiejen's comment:

One can hope that the DOJ can pull together charges against Zimmerman that will stick.

One can also hope that Trayvon's family will find a way to celebrate his short life as well as take solace in the fact that this trial and this verdict did shine a spotlight on a multitude of problems in that part of our country.

Complete nonsense.

The FBI turned Florida upside down to find out if Zimmerman had any racist tendencies and couldn't find any. Even the prosecutors said race was not involved. You are falling for the fabrications of the media who wanted Zimmerman hung by his gonads. They even tried to portray him as white by calling him a "white Hispanic". By that logic we should be calling Obama a white African American.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

Complete nonsense.

The FBI turned Florida upside down to find out if Zimmerman had any racist tendencies and couldn't find any. Even the prosecutors said race was not involved. You are falling for the fabrications of the media who wanted Zimmerman hung by his gonads. They even tried to portray him as white by calling him a "white Hispanic". By that logic we should be calling Obama a white African American.

Hansori,

Did you hear the recording between Zimmerman and the police the night of the killing? Did you hear the language Zimmerman employed?

Splittling hairs between race not being involved and racial profiling being involved. That was said by the prosecuters at the press conference following the not guily verdict. Behind closed doors, I suspect they felt race was a factor.

New term. Half white/half Hispanic. Defense pressed his Hispanic heritage for obvious reasons.

Obama is bi-racial. White mother/black father. But all most want to see is his black side.

People should not have to be defined by one side of their heritage or the other. Very few Americans are 100% anything. I happen to be 100% Italian-American. I came to learn that is very unusual in America. Only had to learn one ethnic background and honor it.

Most Americans are composed of two or more ethnic backgrounds. 

So complete nonsense. I do not think so.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Here's my two cents:

It is sad that Trayvon chose the gansta lifestyle, acted like a punk.  It does not justify his being killed, but it helps explain it.

Most black people are kiled by other black people.  The statistic is well over 90%

The professional race baiters and politicians are exploiting this issue.  That is dividing us into tribal camps.  The law matters less than the color of your skin.

The media acted shamefully.

If we are to survive as a culture, we need to stop negative lifestyles like gansta-style, learn to work together, and stop blaming things on the color of our skin, our gender, our privlege or lack thereof. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

A tragic case.

Zimmerman may have been too zealous in his role as a community watch patroler; but it's clear that although the prosecutors tried they never came up with a racist angle to Zimmerman's behavior. Zimmerman was advised by a 911 dispatcher (not a police officer) to not follow Martin, but he decided to any ways.

Martin didn't like being followed by a "white a** cracker" and eventually felt compelled to confront Zimmerman.  Confronting wasn't illegal, but punching and knocking someone to the ground is illegal its called assault.  Martin's deadly mistake was apparently to then assualt Zimmerman some more while he was on the ground, at which time the guy with the gun defended himself with deadly consequences.

A tragic case; but no laws were broken.  Time to leave Zimmerman alone, that  goes for the DOJ and the press needs to stop fanning the flames before someone else dies.

...the man who really counts in the world is the doer,...  TR 1891

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

[QUOTE]

Complete nonsense.

Hansori,

Did you hear the recording between Zimmerman and the police the night of the killing? Did you hear the language Zimmerman employed?

Splittling hairs between race not being involved and racial profiling being involved. That was said by the prosecuters at the press conference following the not guily verdict. Behind closed doors, I suspect they felt race was a factor.

New term. Half white/half Hispanic. Defense pressed his Hispanic heritage for obvious reasons.

Obama is bi-racial. White mother/black father. But all most want to see is his black side.

People should not have to be defined by one side of their heritage or the other. Very few Americans are 100% anything. I happen to be 100% Italian-American. I came to learn that is very unusual in America. Only had to learn one ethnic background and honor it.

Most Americans are composed of two or more ethnic backgrounds. 

So complete nonsense. I do not think so.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I heard the REAL version of that tape, not the doctored version MSNBC put out. Maybe you should check that out. Zimmerman doesn't even mention race until he is asked by the dispatcher if he is white, black or hispanic.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/nbc-news-admits-error-in-editing-george-zimmermans-911-call-apologizes/

If you are going to make stuff up about race being involved then you will never let facts convince you otherwise.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I'm OK With the verdict.  I would have been OK with Manslaughter, serve 3 years.  It's a tough case and but a kI'd walking home from the store is dead and it was avoidable.

Agree completely. Zimmerman should not have been out there with a loaded gun nor should he have confronted the kid in any way. He should have called the police if he had some suspicions and stepped aside.

That said, I am absolutely disgusted by the idea that it's important to railroad someone who's only crime was bad judgement in the name of "social justice." The ideological left is willing destroy an innocent individual and cause great harm to our social fabric all in the name of furthering their political agendas.

I find that repugnant.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ppannos. Show ppannos's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

Untreated Mental Illness on Zimmerman's part and his ability to buy a gun are the elephants in the room in my opinion

Thanks for your professional mental illness opinion.

The violent punk on dope was innocent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Its becoming clear as more details emerge that the prosecution was completely inept, and if there was a verdict to be had, it would have been for different lesser charges (possibly below manslaughter).  The state behaved poorly, let the defense co-opt their own witnesses and generally seemed clueless.  Now, compare this with the case of the woman who was convicted and sentenced to 20 years in jail for firing a warning shot at her abusive husband.  She claimed she was shielded by "stand your ground" had proof of prior abuse, and no one was killed (except for some drywall) and the state nailed her and due to minimum sentencing she received 20 years.  The same DA's office tried that case.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Do the same posters who feel justice was served in the Zimmerman case also feel justice was served in the case Damian descibed in the post right before mine?

Same DA's office, same "Stand Your Ground" in effect but this defendant is going to prison for 20 years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

In response to ppannos' comment:

The "violent punk on dope" WAS innocent, he committed no crime, and Zimmerman was not an officer of the law empowered to arrest, try, or execute him regardless of his "suspicions".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

Do the same posters who feel justice was served in the Zimmerman case also feel justice was served in the case Damian descibed in the post right before mine?

Same DA's office, same "Stand Your Ground" in effect but this defendant is going to prison for 20 years.

In the Zimmerman case it was a simple case of self defense during an assault and battery (broken nose and head wounds from impact to sidewalk). In the other case, although there is a history of spousal abuse, stand your ground wasn't mentioned until after the fact but the discharge of the weapon wasn't made in self defense it was made in an attempt to force someone to leave.  The women had safely exited the home and came back in after getting her gun from the car.

CBS News

According to a sworn deposition taken in November 2010, Marissa Alexander's husband, Rico Gray, 36, said that on August 1, 2010, he and Alexander began fighting after he found text messages to Alexander's first husband on her phone. The two were already estranged - according to her father, Alexander had been living at her mother's since the birth of the couple's daughter nine days earlier, and Gray, a long-haul trucker, said he spent the night before in his tractor-trailer. Gray began calling her names, saying "If I can't have you, nobody going to have you," and blocking her from exiting the bathroom.

Alexander pushed past Gray and went into the garage where she got her gun from her car's glove compartment.

Gray told prosecutors in the deposition that Alexander came back into the house holding the weapon and told him to leave. He refused, and what happened next is somewhat unclear. In his deposition, Gray said "she shot in the air one time," prompting him and the children to run out the front door. But when Gray called 911 the day of the incident, he said "she aimed the gun at us and she shot."

In August 2011, a judge rejected a motion by Alexander's attorney to grant her immunity under the "Stand your Ground" law. According to the judge's order, "there is insufficient evidence that the Defendant reasonably believed deadly force was needed to prevent death or great bodily harm to herself," and that the fact that she came back into the home, instead of leaving out the front or back door "is inconsistent with a person who is in genuine fear for her life."

Alexander's case was prosecuted by Angela Corey, the Florida State's Attorney who is also prosecuting George Zimmerman. Alexander was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, and because she discharged a firearm during the incident, the case fell under Florida's "10-20-life" law, enacted in 1999, which mandates a 20-year sentence for use of a gun during the commission of certain crimes.

Corey initially offered Alexander a three year deal if she pleaded guilty to aggravated assault, but according to CBS affiliate WTEV, Alexander did not believe she had done anything wrong, and rejected the plea. Her bet did not pay off: the jury in the case returned a guilty verdict in less than 15 minutes.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to DamainAllen's comment:

In response to ppannos' comment:

[QUOTE]

The "violent punk on dope" WAS innocent, he committed no crime, and Zimmerman was not an officer of the law empowered to arrest, try, or execute him regardless of his "suspicions".

[/QUOTE]

Didn't he assault Zimmerman? Isn't that a crime? Martin had no right to assault Zimmerman because he was some "creepy cracker".

Zimmerman, like everyone else, has a right to defend himself. Of course, someone who does defend themselves using deadly force has to expect an investigation by the police. That was what happened and he was found not guilty.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Stand your ground was not in play for the defence.  Never came up.  Simple self defence case.

Liberals need to look at hte facts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

[QUOTE]I'm OK With the verdict.  I would have been OK with Manslaughter, serve 3 years.  It's a tough case and but a kI'd walking home from the store is dead and it was avoidable.

Agree completely. Zimmerman should not have been out there with a loaded gun nor should he have confronted the kid in any way. He should have called the police if he had some suspicions and stepped aside.

That said, I am absolutely disgusted by the idea that it's important to railroad someone who's only crime was bad judgement in the name of "social justice." The ideological left is willing destroy an innocent individual and cause great harm to our social fabric all in the name of furthering their political agendas.

I find that repugnant.

--

Think for yourself, question authority.

[/QUOTE]

I might agree with you, until I looked up the crime statistics on Sanford, Florida.  Nearly twice the national average in most categories.  Carrying a gun when there is probably a smart idea.

We sit here safely ensconced in the largest "gated community" (by taxation and attitude) in the world, the metro Boston area, and shouldn't apply our standards of safety to a community like Sanford that is clearly a dangerous place.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Here's my two cents:

Clearly, you're overcharging.

Have fun with the baiting you so flippantly accuse others of.  The rest of us are used to it by now....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

[QUOTE]

Here's my two cents:

Clearly, you're overcharging.

Have fun with the baiting you so flippantly accuse others of.  The rest of us are used to it by now....

[/QUOTE]

Sorry you feel that way.  Not baiting anyone.  Get over this saint-like portrail of Travon, or that the color of his skin mattered.  You are just a race-baiter, looking to blame all your problems and everyone else problems on the color of their skin.

Wake up, Rube, and stop holding yourself down, and demanding that every one else do the same..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

You say that as if justice is a level playing field in this country.  Only a fool or a charlatan truly believes that.

The media is ABSOLUTELY complicit in this inequity on both the right and left whether the perp is black or white or polka-dotted...

...so I agree with you in principle, if not about the source or with quite the same spin.

It's disingenuous to say this was politicized, however unnecessarily, only on one side.