My State Needs Obamacare. Now.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

My State Needs Obamacare. Now.

FRANKFORT, Ky. — SUNDAY morning news programs identify Kentucky as the red state with two high-profile Republican senators who claim their rhetoric represents an electorate that gave President Obama only about a third of its presidential vote in 2012.

So why then is Kentucky — more quickly than almost any other state — moving to implement the Affordable Care Act?

Because there’s a huge disconnect between the rank partisanship of national politics and the outlook of governors whose job it is to help beleaguered families, strengthen work forces, attract companies and create a balanced budget.

It’s no coincidence that numerous governors — not just Democrats like me but also Republicans like Jan Brewer of Arizona, John Kasich of Ohio and Rick Snyder of Michigan — see the Affordable Care Act not as a referendum on President Obama but as a tool for historic change.

That is especially true in Kentucky, a state where residents’ collective health has long been horrendous. The state ranks among the worst, if not the worst, in almost every major health category, including smoking, cancer deaths, preventable hospitalizations, premature death, heart disease and diabetes.

We’re making progress, but incremental improvements are not enough. We need big solutions with the potential for transformational change.

The Affordable Care Act is one of those solutions.

For the first time, we will make affordable health insurance available to every single citizen in the state. Right now, 640,000 people in Kentucky are uninsured. That’s almost one in six Kentuckians.

Lack of health coverage puts their health and financial security at risk.

They roll the dice and pray they don’t get sick. They choose between food and medicine. They ignore checkups that would catch serious conditions early. They put off doctor’s appointments, hoping a condition turns out to be nothing. And they live knowing that bankruptcy is just one bad diagnosis away.

Furthermore, their children go long periods without checkups that focus on immunizations, preventive care and vision and hearing tests. If they have diabetes, asthma or infected gums, their conditions remain untreated and unchecked.

For Kentucky as a whole, the negative impact is similar but larger — jacked-up costs, decreased worker productivity, lower quality of life, depressed school attendance and a poor image.

The Affordable Care Act will address these weaknesses.

Some 308,000 of Kentucky’s uninsured — mostly the working poor — will be covered when we increase Medicaid eligibility guidelines to 138 percent of the federal poverty level.

PricewaterhouseCoopers and the Urban Studies Institute at the University of Louisville concluded that expanding Medicaid would inject $15.6 billion into Kentucky’s economy over the next eight years, create almost 17,000 new jobs, have an $802.4 million positive budget impact (by transferring certain expenditures from the state to the federal government, among other things), protect hospitals from cuts in indigent care funding and shield businesses from up to $48 million in annual penalties.

In short, we couldn’t afford not to do it.

The other 332,000 uninsured Kentuckians will be able to access affordable coverage — most with a discount — through the Health Benefit Exchange, the online insurance marketplace we named Kynect: Kentucky’s Healthcare Connection.

Kentucky is the only Southern state both expanding Medicaid and operating a state-based exchange, and we remain on target to meet the Oct. 1 deadline to open Kynect with the support of a call center that is providing some 100 jobs. Having been the first state-based exchange to complete the readiness review with the United States Department of Health and Human Services, we hope to become the first one to be certified.

Frankly, we can’t implement the Affordable Care Act fast enough.

As for naysayers, I’m offended by their partisan gamesmanship, as they continue to pour time, money and energy into overturning or defunding the Affordable Care Act. It’s shameful that these critics haven’t invested that same level of energy into trying to improve the health of our citizens.

They insist that the Affordable Care Act will never work — when in fact a similar approach put into effect in Massachusetts by Mitt Romney, then the governor, is working.

So, to those more worried about political power than Kentucky’s families, I say, “Get over it.”

The Affordable Care Act was approved by Congress and sanctioned by the Supreme Court. It is the law of the land.

Get over it ... and get out of the way so I can help my people. Here in Kentucky, we cannot afford to waste another day or another life.

Steve Beshear, a Democrat, is the governor of Kentucky.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName9. Show UserName9's posts

Re: My State Needs Obamacare. Now.

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

Yeah but...Karl Marx or something

Hopefully this Op-Ed is printed throughout the state, as there is a lot of people that need deprogramming.

The other day I read about a man in KY who signed up for healthcare at a KY county fair; he called it a "great deal". Then he commented that his new plan was "better than that Obamacare"......which of course was what he had just signed up for.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/22/kentucky-obamacare_n_3801054.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

PriceWaterHouseCoopers has weighed in to the affirmative, as the KY Gov points out.

If one works in the health care industry, why would you NOT want millions of new "customers"...?

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat."  - GC

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

In response to UserName9's comment:

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

[QUOTE]

Yeah but...Karl Marx or something

Hopefully this Op-Ed is printed throughout the state, as there is a lot of people that need deprogramming.

The other day I read about a man in KY who signed up for healthcare at a KY county fair; he called it a "great deal". Then he commented that his new plan was "better than that Obamacare"......which of course was what he had just signed up for.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/22/kentucky-obamacare_n_3801054.html

[/QUOTE]

How could he sign up if it hasn't started?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Nice partisan view of Obamacare.

Discounts? Yeah for some, meaning others PAY MORE. 

Wasn't one of the arguments for this the "freeloaders" who don't get insurance will then have to contribute and reduce costs? So now we pay more anyway? Awesome job Bammy!

No one that the libruls want to sign up - younger healthy people who will pay through the nose but have few claims - will sign up. They will pay the fines. That means the next year insurance will be higher and more people will elect to pay the fines.

And for the smokers and fat lazy slobs that get adult onset diabetes and heart attacks, we are going to pay for their insurance so they can still by cigarettes and all the other shitte that makes them sick.

Stupid.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to Hansoribrother's comment:

Wasn't one of the arguments for this the "freeloaders" who don't get insurance will then have to contribute and reduce costs? So now we pay more anyway? Awesome job Bammy!

No one that the libruls want to sign up - younger healthy people who will pay through the nose but have few claims - will sign up. They will pay the fines. That means the next year insurance will be higher and more people will elect to pay the fines.

And for the smokers and fat lazy slobs that get adult onset diabetes and heart attacks, we are going to pay for their insurance so they can still by cigarettes and all the other shitte that makes them sick.

Stupid.

Sadly people who do not smoke and who are not "fat, lazy slobs" get heart disease and diabetes too. Many conditions like these are hereditary and the ignorance of our population believes that you can only get diabetes or have a heart attack if you smoke or eat at McDonald's or Dunkin' Donuts everyday and sit around watching Judge Joe Brown and soap operas all day instead of working. Some of the hardest working people I know have gotten sick and died. Not all of them smoked , none were "fat, lazy slobs" my father was 6' tall and easily weighed less than 160 lbs. I would say he was under 150 as he was thin as rail for the entire 27 years I knew him.

My grandfather died 10 years before I was born of heart disease, four of his seven children (including my dad) died young because of HEREDITARY heart disease. My mother passed away at 39. I dated a girl who was diagnosed with diabetes at 12 yrs. old. My current significant other was informed she was diabetic about 8 yrs. ago while in her 50s.

None of these were or are "lazy" people, none were "fat." I resent that you and others like you believe that heart attacks and diabetes ( probably stroke and cancer too) all happen to only "fat , lazy people." I am told my grandfather was one of the hardest working men around. Everyone who knew him told me he started at sunrise and didn't quit until sundown ( there was no Judge Joe or Jeopardy when he was alive...in fact the T.V probably wasn't in most people's homes until after he died in 1948.

Keep fooling yourself that only the "fat, lazy people" in our society get sick. Keep believing the propaganda, I know firsthand that it is not true.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Stupid.

Sadly people who do not smoke and who are not "fat, lazy slobs" get heart disease and diabetes too. Many conditions like these are hereditary and the ignorance of our population believes that you can only get diabetes or have a heart attack if you smoke or eat at McDonald's or Dunkin' Donuts everyday and sit around watching Judge Joe Brown and soap operas all day instead of working. Some of the hardest working people I know have gotten sick and died. Not all of them smoked , none were "fat, lazy slobs" my father was 6' tall and easily weighed less than 160 lbs. I would say he was under 150 as he was thin as rail for the entire 27 years I knew him.

My grandfather died 10 years before I was born of heart disease, four of his seven children (including my dad) died young because of HEREDITARY heart disease. My mother passed away at 39. I dated a girl who was diagnosed with diabetes at 12 yrs. old. My current significant other was informed she was diabetic about 8 yrs. ago while in her 50s.

None of these were or are "lazy" people, none were "fat." I resent that you and others like you believe that heart attacks and diabetes ( probably stroke and cancer too) all happen to only "fat , lazy people." I am told my grandfather was one of the hardest working men around. Everyone who knew him told me he started at sunrise and didn't quit until sundown ( there was no Judge Joe or Jeopardy when he was alive...in fact the T.V probably wasn't in most people's homes until after he died in 1948.

Keep fooling yourself that only the "fat, lazy people" in our society get sick. Keep believing the propaganda, I know firsthand that it is not true.

No one is saying heart attacks and diabetes ONLY happen to fat, lazy people. But you can't deny that someone who is fat and lazy INCREASES their chances of heart attacks and diabetes versus someone who is healthy. That's a fact. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Well said, zilla.

"When you're born, you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front-row seat."  - GC

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

expanding Medicaid would inject $15.6 billion into Kentucky’s economy over the next eight years, create almost 17,000 new jobs, have an $802.4 million positive budget impact (by transferring certain expenditures from the state to the federal government, among other things)"

Yes, Governor,  you get a bribe from the feds for signing on! FREE money from the federal government. A positive impact for your beloved state government..

Forever more, your state will be a "hypocrite" if the state doesnt bow and kowtow to Washington's orders and directives...after all, you took the bribe money!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

expanding Medicaid would inject $15.6 billion into Kentucky’s economy over the next eight years, create almost 17,000 new jobs, have an $802.4 million positive budget impact (by transferring certain expenditures from the state to the federal government, among other things)"

Yes, Governor,  you get a bribe from the feds for signing on! FREE money from the federal government. A positive impact for your beloved state government..

Forever more, your state will be a "hypocrite" if the state doesnt bow and kowtow to Washington's orders and directives...after all, you took the bribe money!

Like it or not, bribes are how most everything works at ALL levels of govt everywhere.

Some call it lobbying.  Others call it serving their constituencies.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hansoribrother. Show Hansoribrother's posts

Stupid.

First off I said ADULT ONSET diabetes. Isn't that mostly caused by a bad diet and sedinatary lifestyle?

WDYWN explained it.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]

Stupid.

First off I said ADULT ONSET diabetes. Isn't that mostly caused by a bad diet and sedinatary lifestyle?

WDYWN explained it.

[/QUOTE]

The key word here is "MOSTLY."

Your response seems to indicate that only "fat, lazy people" get diseases.

But , while you can increase your chances by living a healthy lifestyle, you don't eliminate the possibilty that you will get sick.

My mother was not responsible for her early death. The Good Lord just dealt her a sh*tty hand. And it could happen to anyone of us at any time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The reason why Healthcare is such a big issue is that not only are there people who depend on it, but yes there are indeed "fat, lazy people" , there are also too many unhealthy choices and the people who offer those unhealthy choices are the same ones with lots of money who "push" their products at all of us during sports and prime time T.V.

The key is to educate people on healthy lifestyles. But , You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. It has to be followed up by forcing companies that offer unhealthy products to stop "pushing" it on the public. This is not easily done as money talks. So, next time you are watching the ballgame, count how many ads you see from McD's, Wendys, Jack Daniels, Dewar's , Budweiser, Miller, Coors , Dunkin' Donuts and Taco Bell , to name a few...and don't forget all those car commercials....you could try to live life without driving (good luck!) but you would still breath in plenty of Carbon Monoxide walking along the road.

The corporate world is killing us, but they don't care. We can make all the healthy chopices we want, we can choose not to be "fat and lazy" but we can't escape from a dirty , contaminated world, one that we didn't make....companies like GE , Dow, Dupont , GM , Ford , Toyota , McDonald's ,etc. etc. etc. created this contaminated world , but we all are paying the price with health risks everywhere we go. It is a world of convience, and corporate America has made convience a priorty over our health.

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Stupid.

Your lack of knowledge about chronic illness is astounding.

Fat lazy people are only part ofthe problem, people like you who think you are entitled to free health care are the other part of the problem.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

[QUOTE]

The key is to educate people on healthy lifestyles. But , You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. It has to be followed up by forcing companies that offer unhealthy products to stop "pushing" it on the public. This is not easily done as money talks.

"This is not easily done" in America ...true, because we have a Constitution with the best idea ever: limited Government.

Sadly, that wonderful unique freedom we have had is being eroded quickly by progressive zealots.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Stupid.

Fat lazy people are only part ofthe problem, people like you who think you are entitled to free health care are the other part of the problem.

I don't ge tmy healthcare for free.

I also am  (so far) very lucky to be a very healthy person. Yes, I have made healthy choices a priority since I was a teenager. But, I am not foolish enough to believe this means I will never get cancer, have a heart attack, stroke or diabetes.

Sorry you think I am "part of the problem", I don't consider myself "part of any problem" as I am a 55 year old healthy male, who has never been unemployed, collected welfar, disability or any kind of government ( or any other type) of handout. I pay excise tax, real estate tax, income tax, sales tax and have done so for a long time.

I don't believe I am entitled to any more than the next guy. But I can tell you that politicians , athletes and celebrities get a lot more "gifts" , "perks" and "handouts" than I have ever received.

But, I do beileve that there are many, many people less fortunate than myself who need assistance, I do not mind that my taxmoney goes to helping less fortunate people when they need help. What is wrong is that we have a system which is not policed properly because your politicians are "fat and lazy" and they allow a system that rewards "fat and lazy "people instead of hard working people.

Yes, there are people getting benefits they do not deserve but turning our country into a police state would eliminate that but would also kill the very people it was designed to help.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Stupid.

I don't ge tmy healthcare for free.

I also am  (so far) very lucky to be a very healthy person. Yes, I have made healthy choices a priority since I was a teenager. But, I am not foolish enough to believe this means I will never get cancer, have a heart attack, stroke or diabetes.

Sorry you think I am "part of the problem", I don't consider myself "part of any problem" as I am a 55 year old healthy male, who has never been unemployed, collected welfar, disability or any kind of government ( or any other type) of handout. I pay excise tax, real estate tax, income tax, sales tax and have done so for a long time.

I don't believe I am entitled to any more than the next guy. But I can tell you that politicians , athletes and celebrities get a lot more "gifts" , "perks" and "handouts" than I have ever received.

But, I do beileve that there are many, many people less fortunate than myself who need assistance, I do not mind that my taxmoney goes to helping less fortunate people when they need help. What is wrong is that we have a system which is not policed properly because your politicians are "fat and lazy" and they allow a system that rewars "fat and lazy "people instead of hard working people.

Yes, there are people getting benefits they do not deserve but turning our country into a police state would eliminate that but would also kill the very people it was designed to help.

Zillagod..I have read each of your comments on this thread and thought "YES!!" Contrary to what our friend Skeeter would have you believe, I believe your views and your perspective is one shared by the majority of people. I was reading an article a couple of weeks ago, one of many such articles that I am sure have been written about this idea that the majority of the US public is opposed to Obamacare.

It turns out that if you ask people how they feel about "obamacare"..they claim to be opposed to it. However, parse out the individual pieces of "obamacare" and an overwhelming majority approve of the changes. So..what does this tell you? This tells you our electorate is swayed by buzzwords..and most of them have no idea what "obamacare" actually consists of.

The saddest, funniest part of this whole theatrical joke is that "obamacare" as it is written is a GOP construct!

People like Skeeter operate under the assumption that Obamacare is a handout and that it is giving people free healthcare. This couldn't be further from the truth. The number of people who receive completely free healthcare under Obamacare is not going to increase from where it is now. The ACA is nothing more than a huge expansion of the private insurance market. People who support this are not supporting "free health care" they are supporting expanded access and more affordable options.

Sadly..Zillagod..you are right about the idea that people with chronic illnesses such as diabetes and heart disease are often mentioned in conjunction with "fat and lazy". It is a sad generalization...especially to the people with this disease that are neither.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

[QUOTE]

The key is to educate people on healthy lifestyles. But , You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. It has to be followed up by forcing companies that offer unhealthy products to stop "pushing" it on the public. This is not easily done as money talks.

"This is not easily done" in America ...true, because we have a Constitution with the best idea ever: limited Government.

Sadly, that wonderful unique freedom we have had is being eroded quickly by progressive zealots.

Actually young boy, the "best idea ever" in forming our country was "a government of the poeple, by the people and for the people". Where government is composed of people voted in by The People and so answerable to The People. ANd where individual rights - a progressive, liberal idea (you are welcome... we know you appreciate your individual rights gotten for you by liberal thinking people) - are inherently owned by every individual regardless of race, creed, sex, etc. and are spelled out. 

The limitations on government come FROM those liberal ideas of the equality and individual rights of all people... even people YOU do not like! 

The freedoms that are being eroded are being eroded by big businesses that are buying government and writing our laws themselves! THey are being eroded by little boys who get angry at people they are told not to like. 

Your idea of freedm seems to be the freedom to lynch whoever youlike for whatever reason and the freedom of the person you are lynching.,.. well, they are not worthy of being given a second thought so THEIR freedom is irrelevent.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiejen. Show andiejen's posts

Stupid.

WDYWN explained it.

The key word here is "MOSTLY."

Your response seems to indicate that only "fat, lazy people" get diseases.

But , while you can increase your chances by living a healthy lifestyle, you don't eliminate the possibilty that you will get sick.

My mother was not responsible for her early death. The Good Lord just dealt her a sh*tty hand. And it could happen to anyone of us at any time.

ZILLAGOD,

Again, well said. Some people are just dealt lousy hands. Blaming the victim for their medical condition(s) is so the wrong way to go. There are so many factors that go into so many medical conditions...including factors we do not know about.

I have 2 serious chronic medical conditions which the medical community has NO idea what causes them. NONE. Yet I need medical care to live with them. Also have a ruptured disc in my back from a car accident which then caused nerve damage in my lower left leg. Want to blame me for this?

My husband is fighting cancer. He was in excellent health before the cancer was discovered. Does not smoke, barelydrinks, follows a macrobiotic diet etc. Want to try and blame him for his cancer and the ensuing bills?

To contine the blame the victim logic, then you would have to extend it to the activities people engage in...activities which people are more likely to be injured. Examples would be riding motorcycles, jumping out of planes, racing speed boats, hand gliding, snowboarding, etc.

Only fair to charge these people higher rates then those who do not engage in such activities.

Sure, you can lie. But that is an easy fix. The health insurance company returns your premiums and you are stuck with all related medical bills.

But that is also not the way to go, is it? 

People live their lives. Health insurance spreads the cost around to everyone. We educate people about unhealthy lifestyles, preventitive medicine and the risks of dangerous activities.

But what we do not do here is become the "nanny state" ....the term the GOP LOVES to aim at the Democrats.

Sections
Shortcuts