NAACP calls Black Congressman a ventriloquist's dummy

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

NAACP calls Black Congressman a ventriloquist's dummy

More bigots that claim to fight bigotry...geez

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/01/21/naacp-leader-likens-black-gop-senator-to-ventriloquists-dummy/

An influential leader of the NAACP in North Carolina recently compared Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.), the lone black Republican in Congress, to a ventriloquist's dummy.

"A ventriloquist can always find a good dummy,” the Rev. William Barber said about Scott during remarks in Columbia, S.C., on Sunday, according to The State.

Barber added that “the extreme right wing down here (in South Carolina) finds a black guy to be senator and claims he’s the first black senator since Reconstruction, and then he goes to Washington, D.C., and articulates the agenda of the Tea Party.”

Scott was appointed to the Senate by South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R) in late 2012, following Jim DeMint's (R-S.C.) resignation.

Barber is an emerging figure in North Carolina politics. As head of the state's NAACP, he recently joined other black leaders and Democrats in calling for North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory (R) to call an earlier special election for former congressman Mel Watt's (D-N.C.) seat.

Barber has been particularly active on issues of voter ID, denouncing conservatives in the North Carolina state legislature for passing new regulations.

Update 2:08 p.m.: Scott's response is below:

"To reflect seriously on the comments a person, a pastor that is filled with baseless and meaningless rhetoric would be to do a disservice to the very people who have sacrificed so much and paved a way. Instead, I will honor the memory of Dr. King by being proactive in holding the door for others and serving my fellow man. And Rev. Barber will remind me and others of what not to do."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: NAACP calls Black Congressman a ventriloquist's dummy

Is the term "ventriloquist's dummy" racially charged?  Or just the implication that he was only appointed to the Senate because he is black?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Is the term "ventriloquist's dummy" racially charged?  Or just the implication that he was only appointed to the Senate because he is black?

The implication of that and the implication that because he is black he cannot possibly hold conservative views so, he must be pandering for someone else!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

liberals are so nasty to those who disagree with them.....its okay to have different opinions...unless those opinions are different than a progressive....they always have to go personal...its a result of insecurity that liberals show because of a lack of confidence in their ideas and beliefs...

people who are confident and secure are far more tolerant of other people...human nature.. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

The NAACP is looking out for all black people......

.....as long as they're liberal.

The same is true for NOW. Looking out for their sisters, liberal sisters that is.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to tvoter's comment:

The implication of that and the implication that because he is black he cannot possibly hold conservative views so, he must be pandering for someone else!

I can see your point, but I think it's fair to question Scott's legitimacy.  Lindsay Graham is facing 4 primary challengers, but nobody is challenging the freshman, appointed Senator from the same state.  That feels like the RNC is protecting him.

When Michael Steele was selected to be head of the RNC he publicly wondered if it was due to his race.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Is Herman Caine a dummy too?

If you don't think so, raise your hand ( do it yourself or have a ventriloquist do it for you) or dial 9-9-9-T-A-X-P-L-A-N.

But, the NAACP probably has reason for believing the guy's a fake.....it would be my first reaction, too....it does seem kind of odd , when a Black person is a member of the Tea Party, who strike me as rascist people, or maybe they just "seem" that way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

I can see your point, but I think it's fair to question Scott's legitimacy.  Lindsay Graham is facing 4 primary challengers, but nobody is challenging the freshman, appointed Senator from the same state.  That feels like the RNC is protecting him.

When Michael Steele was selected to be head of the RNC he publicly wondered if it was due to his race.  

Senator Scott is more conservative than Lindsay Graham, who is connected at the hip with McCain, so your point is wrong about primary challengers.

Appointed Sen Scott has done a good job representing conservative SC. He is a rising star...

So you cynically think black Republicans are tokens? What about black Democrats, are they tokens, too?

Obama himself in this recent New Yorker interview whined that some will never like him because of race, but to his credit he also said what seems obvious : some blacks and whites give him a free pass because of his race, because he is the first black President.

So by your logic , Obama himself said he is a token !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to newman09's comment:

The NAACP is looking out for all black people......

.....as long as they're liberal.

Rush Limbaugh has it right when he calls this organization the "N A A L C P "

National Association for the Advancement of Liberal Colored People

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to twelve_angry_men's comment:

Political appointees by either party are, by job description, ventriloguist dummies.

Who's a "political appointee" in this discussion?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Maybe he is just doing the job his consituents expect.

Or, is that not possible for a black man?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Is Herman Caine a dummy too?

If you don't think so, raise your hand ( do it yourself or have a ventriloquist do it for you) or dial 9-9-9-T-A-X-P-L-A-N.

But, the NAACP probably has reason for believing the guy's a fake.....it would be my first reaction, too....it does seem kind of odd , when a Black person is a member of the Tea Party, who strike me as rascist people, or maybe they just "seem" that way.

Clealry Scott doesn't like black people....

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to ronreganfan's comment:

Political appointees by either party are, by job description, ventriloguist dummies.

Who's a "political appointee" in this discussion?

From the article:

Scott was appointed to the Senate by South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley (R) in late 2012, following Jim DeMint's (R-S.C.) resignation.

OK.  Wasn't following your line of conversation.  I thought that was a given.   I think everyone understands the special appointment process.

However, the comment was about how he is running for the seat now, and no one is opposing him.  His appointment is irrelevant to this thread.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

Senator Scott is more conservative than Lindsay Graham, who is connected at the hip with McCain, so your point is wrong about primary challengers.

Appointed Sen Scott has done a good job representing conservative SC. He is a rising star...

So you cynically think black Republicans are tokens? What about black Democrats, are they tokens, too?

Obama himself in this recent New Yorker interview whined that some will never like him because of race, but to his credit he also said what seems obvious : some blacks and whites give him a free pass because of his race, because he is the first black President.

So by your logic , Obama himself said he is a token !

A primary challenger doesn't have to be a tea party challenger.  If Lindsay Graham is leading all four tea party challengers running away, don't you think a more moderate candidate from the same state would have a good chance against the unelected tea party incumbent?  There isn't one SC moderate Republican who wants to be Senator?

Of course I don't think black Republicans are tokens.  In this very narrow set of circumstances, like Michael Steele, I think that the GOP image problems played a part in the selection of Tim Scott to Congress.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

Tim Scott is a fiscal conservatve that understand that our federal govt is bloated, corrupt and extremely inefficient in excessively expensive social programs!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

Tim Scott is a fiscal conservatve that understand that our federal govt is bloated, corrupt and extremely inefficient in excessively expensive social programs!

This is his real crime for the NAACP.  Speaking truth to power.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

I think that the GOP image problems played a part in the selection of Tim Scott to Congress.

For those who perhaps don't know, Mr. Scott was elected to Congress in 2010 and is an individual who was perfectly qualified to represent the state of South Carolina in the Senate when Jim Demint resigned.

Pretending that he is somehow unqualified for the position or that he achieved his position based solely on his race is straight up racism.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

In response to macnh1's comment:

liberals are so nasty to those who disagree with them.....its okay to have different opinions...unless those opinions are different than a progressive....they always have to go personal...its a result of insecurity that liberals show because of a lack of confidence in their ideas and beliefs...

people who are confident and secure are far more tolerant of other people...human nature.. 

Whereas you post so politely about people you disagree with. Like the above insult-laden rant, right?

Oops.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NowWhatDoYouWant. Show NowWhatDoYouWant's posts

More bigots that claim to fight bigotry

The NAACP is bigotted against black people? Who knew.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

I think that the GOP image problems played a part in the selection of Tim Scott to Congress.

For those who perhaps don't know, Mr. Scott was elected to Congress in 2010 and is an individual who was perfectly qualified to represent the state of South Carolina in the Senate when Jim Demint resigned.

Pretending that he is somehow unqualified for the position or that he achieved his position based solely on his race is straight up racism.

No, no - you're using a Fox News technique - selecting your words carefully to be technically true, but conveying a meaning very different from reality.

Tim Scott was not elected to his current seat in the Senate.  He was never elected to anything by his current constituents.

He won a seat in the SC House of Representatives in 2008.  In 2010, he won a special election for SC's 1st congressional district with just 32% of the vote, which forced a run-off against the son of Strom Thurmond.  

These are the facts

* The GOP had an image problem

* Tim Scott was black

* Tim Scott, a state representative for 2 years, out-raised the son of US Senator for 48 years by a 35-1 margin

* Tim Scott had been a representative for 2 years when appointed to the Senate.  He had the least tenure of SC's 7 representatives in the House

* There are 4 tea party candidates running against Lindsey Graham, a 12-year veteran of the Senate

* Nobody is running against Tim Scott, who has only been in national politics for 3 years, and was not elected to his position, or to anything outside of SC's 1st

When you put it all together, it's a pretty strong case that the RNC is protecting Tim Scott.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronreganfan. Show ronreganfan's posts

In response to StalkingButler's comment:

No, no - you're using a Fox News technique - selecting your words carefully to be technically true, but conveying a meaning very different from reality.

Tim Scott was not elected to his current seat in the Senate.  He was never elected to anything by his current constituents.

He won a seat in the SC House of Representatives in 2008.  In 2010, he won a special election for SC's 1st congressional district with just 32% of the vote, which forced a run-off against the son of Strom Thurmond.  

These are the facts

* The GOP had an image problem

* Tim Scott was black

* Tim Scott, a state representative for 2 years, out-raised the son of US Senator for 48 years by a 35-1 margin

* Tim Scott had been a representative for 2 years when appointed to the Senate.  He had the least tenure of SC's 7 representatives in the House

* There are 4 tea party candidates running against Lindsey Graham, a 12-year veteran of the Senate

* Nobody is running against Tim Scott, who has only been in national politics for 3 years, and was not elected to his position, or to anything outside of SC's 1st

When you put it all together, it's a pretty strong case that the RNC is protecting Tim Scott.  

Nobody ran against Obama in the primaries, either, at least, not seriously.  And those that were serious, got their divorce records "magically" published.

So, I guess I am failing to see your point

Sections
Shortcuts