Name your poison: how ObamaCare will devastate small business

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Re: Name your poison: how ObamaCare will devastate small business

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

In response to skeeter20's comment:

What is the rationale behind a business...any business...much less a 'small' bakery with 95 workers...

...of NOT trying to provide health insurance for its employees...?

In my youth, I once worked for a woodworking shop (in Mass.) that had exactly 8 employees, including the proprietor and his wife.  They had full benefits, including health insurance, 401k and profit sharing.  The owner knew that a) it was the right thing to do, and b) a covered employee is usually a happier, more productive employee.

Today, he's still in business and still very successful, and his shop is up to 19 full-timers.

Anecdotal, but instructive.

Sounds like a good person, and a good businessman.

Big difference between doing something becasue you see how it will help your business, and doing something because government forces you to do so, in some cases, at the cost of closing your business.

If health insurance is truly (not just incidentally) the reason for an owner to close their business, then they probably shouldn't be in business in the first place.  Harsh, but true.

Government forces businesses to do lots of things they might rather not do - but for the protection of their employees, the environment, their customers, etc.  There are all kinds of costs of doing business, some required and some voluntary.

People close up their businesses and go to work for someone else all the time.  Why?  Often, it's health insurance, and often, it's because they su(K)k at running a business.  (At least with the exchanges, small businesses will be able to pool their risk and make coverage more affordable.

Private contractors strive to be insured and bonded.  Why?  Because they're f***ed if they screw up and cause damage.  My brother-in-law had his own flooring business - himself and a helper or two - and still carried a $1M liability policy.  He would have been stupid NOT to do it.  One bad mistake, and he's out of business.  Follow?

What a strange reply.  You obviously no nothing about starting or running a business.

i've been working with startup s for forty years, and have never had one close due to health insurance, nor have I heard of one.

The problem with this conversation is how the left views governments role in running a business. The left's view is that the government is the ultimate authority in running a business.  The right sees customers, I.e. the market, as the ultimate authority.

i'm beginning to think that the core issue is that the left does not understand free enterprise, capitalism, or the proper, minimal, role of government in the economy.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

That's right, thanks to Obamacare, I pay more, expect less, have no certainty of coverage.  But, I get free gynological coverage, birth control coverage, (I'm an elderly male) and Joe Biden is making the decisions about whether a certain medical procedure will have a positive effect on my quality of life.

Yah,  I guess you could say I'm  scared.  Scared for what Obamacare is doing to my health care options.  thanks for pointing it out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

skeeter your health insurance is high because that industry lacks transparency .... they do or charge anything they want . I thought you of all people would want more competition in that industry.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

That's right, thanks to Obamacare, I pay more, expect less, have no certainty of coverage.  But, I get free gynological coverage, birth control coverage, (I'm an elderly male) and Joe Biden is making the decisions about whether a certain medical procedure will have a positive effect on my quality of life.

Yah,  I guess you could say I'm  scared.  Scared for what Obamacare is doing to my health care options.  thanks for pointing it out.

If you're an elderly male, are you referring to changes in Medicare?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

skeeter your health insurance is high because that industry lacks transparency .... they do or charge anything they want . I thought you of all people would want more competition in that industry.

Obamacare is competition?  You really, really don't understand economics.  Obamacare turns the insurance induistry into an oligarpy of sorts.

Competition would have been allowing insurance to be sold across stte lines, and let the people, i.e. the market, decide.

My insurance has gone up over 100% in the past year becasue of Obamacare.  personal health insurance has become unbelieveably expensive, to the point where many independent contractors and the like will need to go without, paying the fine instead. I guess you guys didn't think about that impact, did yah?  DID YAH?  crikey.

But, you don't want facts.  you justy want a kumbya moment that, together we can, or something like that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

Obamacare is competition?  You really, really don't understand economics.  Obamacare turns the insurance induistry into an oligarpy of sorts.

Competition would have been allowing insurance to be sold across stte lines, and let the people, i.e. the market, decide.

My insurance has gone up over 100% in the past year becasue of Obamacare.  personal health insurance has become unbelieveably expensive, to the point where many independent contractors and the like will need to go without, paying the fine instead. I guess you guys didn't think about that impact, did yah?  DID YAH?  crikey.

But, you don't want facts.  you justy want a kumbya moment that, together we can, or something like that.

I never said the ACA was competition ..... I said that the Healthcare industry lacks transparency and they do and charge what they want  ..... you don't understand the English Language .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

skeeter belongs to the GOP ..... so he only cares about himself ...... skeeters motto is " shove off I'm on board " !

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

No, it is high because I am paying for things I don't need, like birth control.  I'll even give that facts to you in a pro-Obamacare article:

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2013/02/paying_for_obamacare_with_death_panels.html

So, who pays for all this increased coverage that I don't want?

I Do.  It's mandated.

And, like I said, you don't understand economics if you think Obamacare improves competition.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

That's not true at all. The insurers have to file their rates with the DOI, who makes sure the insurers are NOT charging anything they want. I know this because I spent 10 years of my previous work life as an underwriter for a local insurer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

If competition is the answer to high rates for healthcare, why do we have the most competitive system and yet the highest rates?  And will a more competitive system insure all people?  Two problems with the competitive system and no solutions provided within that system.  Best ignore the reality and just pretend...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

What is the rationale behind a business...any business...much less a 'small' bakery with 95 workers...

In my youth, I once worked for a woodworking shop (in Mass.) that had exactly 8 employees, including the proprietor and his wife.  They had full benefits, including health insurance, 401k and profit sharing.  The owner knew that a) it was the right thing to do, and b) a covered employee is usually a happier, more productive employee.

Today, he's still in business and still very successful, and his shop is up to 19 full-timers.

Big difference between doing something becasue you see how it will help your business, and doing something because government forces you to do so, in some cases, at the cost of closing your business.

If health insurance is truly (not just incidentally) the reason for an owner to close their business, then they probably shouldn't be in business in the first place.  Harsh, but true.

Government forces businesses to do lots of things they might rather not do - but for the protection of their employees, the environment, their customers, etc.  There are all kinds of costs of doing business, some required and some voluntary.

People close up their businesses and go to work for someone else all the time.  Why?  Often, it's health insurance, and often, it's because they su(K)k at running a business.  (At least with the exchanges, small businesses will be able to pool their risk and make coverage more affordable.

Private contractors strive to be insured and bonded.  Why?  Because they're f***ed if they screw up and cause damage.  My brother-in-law had his own flooring business - himself and a helper or two - and still carried a $1M liability policy.  He would have been stupid NOT to do it.  One bad mistake, and he's out of business.  Follow?

What a strange reply.  You obviously no nothing about starting or running a business.

i've been working with startup s for forty years, and have never had one close due to health insurance, nor have I heard of one.

The problem with this conversation is how the left views governments role in running a business. The left's view is that the government is the ultimate authority in running a business.  The right sees customers, I.e. the market, as the ultimate authority.

i'm beginning to think that the core issue is that the left does not understand free enterprise, capitalism, or the proper, minimal, role of government in the economy.

What a stupid reply.  You didn't address a single thing I said in the previous posts, and your claim of experience means less than nothing to me.

And yet YOU keep viewing the issue through your cracked ideological lens, not me.  MY position is ultimately pragmatic and inclusive, while yours is cutthroat and inconsiderate.

I seriously doubt your credibility on this topic given how very incorrect and biased your assertions are.  You wouldn't know the "core issue" if it smacked you in the chops.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

My insurance has gone up over 100% in the past year becasue of Obamacare.  

I call BS on this claim.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to FortySixAndTwo's comment:

That's not true at all. The insurers have to file their rates with the DOI, who makes sure the insurers are NOT charging anything they want. I know this because I spent 10 years of my previous work life as an underwriter for a local insurer.

I believe he's talking about the lack of transparency around medical costs, and the wild variations from one place to the next, not premiums...

...but I'll let him explain what he's getting at.

However, I'll venture to say that DOIs also vary widely from state-to-state in how they administer checks to rising premiums.  If health care insruance rating and pricing is anything at all like other lines of business, that is....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I never said the ACA was competition ..... I said that the Healthcare industry lacks transparency and they do and charge what they want  ..... you don't understand the English Language .

I understand it enough to see that you are trying to weasel out of indicating that Obamacare was the solution ot an non-competitive insurance industry.  

On this one issue, and see if you can answer this without wandering off, why not simply eliminate the restriction on selling healthcare insurance across state lines?  Don't you think that is a much more direct solution than creating a massive new bureacracy and running everything through Washington?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

What a stupid reply.  You didn't address a single thing I said in the previous posts, and your claim of experience means less than nothing to me.

And yet YOU keep viewing the issue through your cracked ideological lens, not me.  MY position is ultimately pragmatic and inclusive, while yours is cutthroat and inconsiderate.

I seriously doubt your credibility on this topic given how very incorrect and biased your assertions are.  You wouldn't know the "core issue" if it smacked you in the chops.

I can't even begin to tell you how far off the mark you are.  That's why your post is so strange. Just your use of the word "cutthroat"  tells me where you are at on this.  You are unwilling to discuss alternatives, because you are ideologically locked to government solutions only.  Government somehow will magically make this all work, and nothing else is even worth listening to.  Nice, and completely legless stance.

Small business needs to provide health care, or shutter their doors?  Talk about "cutthroat".

Face it.   you aren't interested in solutions, you are only interested in government control.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I believe he's talking about the lack of transparency around medical costs, and the wild variations from one place to the next, not premiums...

Are you talking about what the cost is for a specific procedure? Do you want a website that shows the cost of each and every procedure a hospital does? Does every other industry show their costs of doing business?

Hospital costs vary due to community versus teaching. Urban versus rural. Just like other products and services...Boston is more expensive than Bolton.

However, I'll venture to say that DOIs also vary widely from state-to-state in how they administer checks to rising premiums.  If health care insruance rating and pricing is anything at all like other lines of business, that is....

I have no actual proof but I'll venture to say that most govt agencies like to flex their muscles when it comes to private industries. They certainly do in this state in regards to DOI.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

Not quite at medicare.  At individual healht insurance.  Outrageously expensive.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

I call BS on this claim.  

I have to say I call BS too

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I call BS on this claim.  

Well, I'm not going to include my policy, by you need to google private health insurance costs to see what is going on.

"As retired actuary Mark Litow and I have written elsewhere, health insurance premiums in the individual market will double for some people in some states—and that’s only in the near term."

"the Wall Street Journal reports companies including UnitedHealth Group, Aetna and Blue Cross & Blue Shield of North Carolina say health insurance premiums could rise from 25 percent to 116 percent for some people. Part of these cost increases are due to Obamacare's requirements that health insurance companies provide better benefitsincluding maternity care and prescription drugs, accept any customer regardless of pre-existing conditions, and not charge older people more than three times what younger people pay."

"What about other sorts of policies, and other people? The news isn’t much better: Wisconsin predicts “an average premium increase of 41 percent.” Ohio’s Department of Insurance says “the individual health insurance market premiums are estimated to increase by 55 percent to 85 percent above current market average rates.”

That's just a sample of what is going on.  Apparently you are so locked into your union healthcare, which is likely exempt from Obamacare, that you are not seeing what is going on.  Individual policies are skyrocketing.  Absolutely out of control.  Why haven't you heard about this?  Because the press, Obama, and apparently you, have a tin ear to people who are trying to make their own way through life.  Better to crush us under medical costs with a state-run system than oh, say, allow insurance to be sold across state lines.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I can't even begin to tell you how far off the mark you are.  That's why your post is so strange. Just your use of the word "cutthroat"  tells me where you are at on this.  You are unwilling to discuss alternatives, because you are ideologically locked to government solutions only.  Government somehow will magically make this all work, and nothing else is even worth listening to.  Nice, and completely legless stance.

Small business needs to provide health care, or shutter their doors?  Talk about "cutthroat".

Face it.   you aren't interested in solutions, you are only interested in government control.

That's because you are unable to even find the mark, much less find my place on it.

You seem dreadfully unaware of the existence of ethics in either business or commerce in general.  Hence my terms of "cutthroat" to your view that people should be on their own re: basic health care coverage.

This has nothing to do with your nebulous idea of "govt control" and everything to do with how our society functions in an age where people have the false choice of either going bankrupt and losing their house vs. receiving critical or even lifesaving health care services.

Face it.  You want to put profits above people.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Are you talking about what the cost is for a specific procedure? Do you want a website that shows the cost of each and every procedure a hospital does? Does every other industry show their costs of doing business?

Hospital costs vary due to community versus teaching. Urban versus rural. Just like other products and services...Boston is more expensive than Bolton.

I have no actual proof but I'll venture to say that most govt agencies like to flex their muscles when it comes to private industries. They certainly do in this state in regards to DOI.

Variation in costs from place to place are one thing and hinge more upon the differences in quality of the service rendered.  I agree that it's customary to pay more for higher quality, but when the results of a procedure are identical, how is that quality measured?

The other issue is people paying different amounts for the same exact procedure in the same place...but that's a problem between the insurance plans and the providers.

It's only fair that hospitals and doctors should post their prices (not their costs) and allow the consumer a little leeway to shop around and get the best deal for their money.  As it currently stands, lots of people are scared to death of the potential costs of even minor or standard procedures...and these include people WITH insurance coverage.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Variation in costs from place to place are one thing and hinge more upon the differences in quality of the service rendered.  I agree that it's customary to pay more for higher quality, but when the results of a procedure are identical, how is that quality measured?

The other issue is people paying different amounts for the same exact procedure in the same place...but that's a problem between the insurance plans and the providers.

That's a function of what the insurer negotiates with the provider for discounts. That should be different depending on the insurer. A bigger insurers can offer bigger discounts for their members than a smaller insurer can. 

It's only fair that hospitals and doctors should post their prices (not their costs) and allow the consumer a little leeway to shop around and get the best deal for their money.  As it currently stands, lots of people are scared to death of the potential costs of even minor or standard procedures...and these include people WITH insurance coverage.

Hospitals do post their charges with the state, which is public data that anyone can request. I'm surprised people with coverage would be scared to death of minor or standard procedures. I've never wondered or cared how much a procedure would cost. I had hernia surgery and didn't spend one second wondering what the cost would be. Nor do I know anyone who has coverage that has ever wondered about the cost. Hmmmm.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I call BS on this claim.  

Well, I'm not going to include my policy, by you need to google private health insurance costs to see what is going on.

"As retired actuary Mark Litow and I have written elsewhere, health insurance premiums in the individual market will double for some people in some states—and that’s only in the near term."

"the Wall Street Journal reports companies including UnitedHealth Group, Aetna and Blue Cross & Blue Shield of North Carolina say health insurance premiums could rise from 25 percent to 116 percent for some people. Part of these cost increases are due to Obamacare's requirements that health insurance companies provide better benefitsincluding maternity care and prescription drugs, accept any customer regardless of pre-existing conditions, and not charge older people more than three times what younger people pay."

"What about other sorts of policies, and other people? The news isn’t much better: Wisconsin predicts “an average premium increase of 41 percent.” Ohio’s Department of Insurance says “the individual health insurance market premiums are estimated to increase by 55 percent to 85 percent above current market average rates.”

That's just a sample of what is going on.  Apparently you are so locked into your union healthcare, which is likely exempt from Obamacare, that you are not seeing what is going on.  Individual policies are skyrocketing.  Absolutely out of control.  Why haven't you heard about this?  Because the press, Obama, and apparently you, have a tin ear to people who are trying to make their own way through life.  Better to crush us under medical costs with a state-run system than oh, say, allow insurance to be sold across state lines.

I still call BS.  How does conjecture in an op-ed over future premiums translate into YOUR insurance "increasing 100% in one year?  I don't need your policy...an explanation would suffice.  Premiums don't increase that much, that quickly without a reason.

I don't belong to a union or have union healthcare, so you're wrong twice.  I work for a private employer and have private group coverage.

Individual policies have always been expensive, which is why most people get their coverage through their employers or organizations.  Part of the point of the ACA is to make the individual policy market more affordable.  Your view of "free market first" would seem to allow the insurers to charge whatever they want.

Sections
Shortcuts