Nancy Pelosi: Unemployment Checks Best Way to Create Jobs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobinVa. Show BobinVa's posts

Nancy Pelosi: Unemployment Checks Best Way to Create Jobs

Unemployment benefits are creating jobs faster than practically any other program, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi claimed Thursday.

Speaking to reporters, the House speaker was defending a jobless benefits extension against those who say it gives recipients little incentive to work. By her reasoning, those checks are helping give somebody a job.

“It injects demand into the economy,” Pelosi said, arguing that when families have money to spend it keeps the economy churning. “It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name.”

http://michellemalkin.com/2010/07/01/pelosi-unemployment-checks-best-way-to-create-jobs/

"In the real world, demonstrating lunacy of this magnitude is known as a “cry for help” and an intervention involving large nets, straight-jackets and electric shock therapy is in order. But not in Washington, DC, where free-range crazies are allowed to pick pockets, loot futures, and all too often get re-elected.
    "I think I’m catching on to Pelosi’s line of reasoning though (which, frankly, frightens me): If unemployment is the best way to create jobs, then the economy won’t be fully functioning until nobody’s working, and that’s another goal Obama, Pelosi, Reid & company can now boast about helping us get closer to."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from getinvolved. Show getinvolved's posts

Re: Nancy Pelosi: Unemployment Checks Best Way to Create Jobs

Sounds like she is going senile.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

Probably the most idiotic statement i've ever heard from a politician.

If she thinks an unemployment check pays for anything more than basic essentials like food, shelter, and utilities then she really is senile.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarBozachT00. Show OscarBozachT00's posts

Nancy Pelosi always the dumbest person in the room.  This is just further proof.  Not hat we needed it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeisLIfe. Show LifeisLIfe's posts

Actually it does make sense. If people have money they are going to spend it on things, and that is good for businesses. The problem is its synthetic growth. Now we are stuck, because when you take those benefits away, you can bet your bottom dollar our economy is going to tank again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

"If unemployment is the best way to create jobs, then the economy won’t be fully functioning until nobody’s working . . ."

This made me actually, physically laugh out loud.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelldog1. Show kelldog1's posts

To all you Herbert Hoover acolytes you're so F'N' SMART, F'N'  Genius's!!!(not). Read Krugman to get a CLUE!!!! It's called commonsense!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeisLIfe. Show LifeisLIfe's posts

In Response to Re: Nancy Pelosi: Unemployment Checks Best Way to Create Jobs:
      To all you Herbert Hoover acolytes you're so F'N' SMART, F'N'  Genius's!!!(not). Read Krugman to get a CLUE!!!! It's called commonsense!
    Posted by kelldog1

It is amazing how quickly people forget their history. I have a good friend, really bright guy, and he buys into the home budget analogy that tea partiers use. Look, this recession is going to last a while. We need to help people get through it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fractals. Show fractals's posts

Martin Feldstein, a conservative Harvard economist who served in the Reagan administration, said “There should have been more direct federal spending that would have added to aggregate demand,”

“Many contractors across the nation have been able to sustain, if not add to, their work force,” he said.

That sort of impact is what makes federal aid to state governments rank high in economists’ reckoning of the stimulus value of various proposals. Every dollar of additional infrastructure spending means $1.57 in economic activity, according to Moody’s, and general aid to states carries a $1.41 “bang” for each federal buck.

Even more effective are increases for food stamps ($1.74) and unemployment checks ($1.61), because recipients quickly spend their benefits on goods and services.

By contrast, most temporary tax cuts cost more than the stimulus they provide, according to research by Moody’s. That is true of two tax breaks in the stimulus law that Congress, pressed by industry lobbyists, recently extended and sweetened — a tax credit for homebuyers (90 cents of stimulus for each dollar of tax subsidy) and extra deductions for businesses’ net operating losses (21 cents).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fractals. Show fractals's posts

Nancy Pelosi always the dumbest person in the room.  This is just further proof.  Not hat we needed it.
    Posted by OscarBozachT00

Pot meet kettle... kettle, say hello to pot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fractals. Show fractals's posts

Probably the most idiotic statement i've ever heard from a politician. If she thinks an unemployment check pays for anything more than basic essentials like food, shelter, and utilities then she really is senile.
    Posted by schadenfreude99

Ya see this is why wingnuts come off as dumb and immature.
    Because you have this gut reaction to a Dems statement, you blurt out the first thing that comes to mind. Which is usually a knee-jerk reaction and absolutely wrong. If you actually took the time to read what economists and independent rating agencies say you would realize she was correct.
    But hey, don't let the facts or the experts get in the way of your ignorance.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlexJones. Show AlexJones's posts

In Response to Nancy Pelosi: Unemployment Checks Best Way to Create Jobs:
    Unemployment benefits are creating jobs faster than practically any other program, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi claimed Thursday. Speaking to reporters, the House speaker was defending a jobless benefits extension against those who say it gives recipients little incentive to work. By her reasoning, those checks are helping give somebody a job. “It injects demand into the economy,” Pelosi said, arguing that when families have money to spend it keeps the economy churning. “It creates jobs faster than almost any other initiative you can name.” http://michellemalkin.com/2010/07/01/pelosi-unemployment-checks-best-way-to-create-jobs/ "In the real world, demonstrating lunacy of this magnitude is known as a “cry for help” and an intervention involving large nets, straight-jackets and electric shock therapy is in order. But not in Washington, DC, where free-range crazies are allowed to pick pockets, loot futures, and all too often get re-elected. "I think I’m catching on to Pelosi’s line of reasoning though (which, frankly, frightens me): If unemployment is the best way to create jobs, then the economy won’t be fully functioning until nobody’s working, and that’s another goal Obama, Pelosi, Reid & company can now boast about helping us get closer to."
    Posted by BobinVa

I'm going to chase you gutless 'Rethuglicans" around until you address this:

FOX News Host Judge Nepolitano:

“This morning when we taped our show for this weekend, Congressman Dana Rohrabacher, a right down the middle conservative Republican from southern California, former speech writer for Ronald Reagan, looked at me and said ‘almost all Republicans in the House of Representatives now believe that the war in Iraq was a mistake, that it was unlawful, that it was immoral, that it wasn’t worth the lives lost or the trillions that will be spent’,” Napolitano told The Alex Jones Show.

Congressman Rohrabacher: Almost All House Republicans Now Think Iraq War Illegal, Immoral

C'mon gutless ones. Are you going to become Obamabots now because he's the REAL War Puppident?

This is sooooo Fkn Sweet!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeisLIfe. Show LifeisLIfe's posts

This is sooooo Fkn Sweet!!!!
    Posted by AlexJones

Thanks Napoleon.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

I suppose it would be better for the economy in the next decade if all those people ended up on the street.  I also agree with the compassionate conservative argument that starvation and making your kid sleep in a cardboard box are fun.  And it keeps them away from the death panels.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

As I understand it, every $1 in unemployment benefits, immediately generates $1.90 in GDP growth.

You see, the $1 gets spent - that equals $1 in GDP growth.  The retail store (grocery store, where ever) spends the $1 it received on more inventory - and that too is GDP growth.

If the person saved the money (like they might do with a tax cut), then it wouldn't have a direct impact on GDP.  Of course, both of those are extremes.  Some people on unemployment benefits mgiht owe money on things like a house.  And so some of their Unemployment check goes to pay their mortgage, and that type of payment is not considered GDP growth.  And of course, a person isn't likely to save their entire tax cut and may spend it on food, which again, is GDP growth.

Tomorrow I'll teach you guys this concept called "liquidity trap".  Here's a link to get you started....

//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidity_trap

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccfaulk. Show ccfaulk's posts

This is still giving someone a fish. As soon as it stops all of the avenues of benefit also stop. The dairy farms the livestock industry or any industry who made plans for the future based on current sales will have to suddenly scale back.This is not sustainable and should never be included in any GDP report. Any jobs gained will be lost as soon as the checks stop. There is no compassion in business because it has always failed when tried. Pay me for my goods or go without. The current admin is just trying to be saints with borrowed money.

we need tough love and we all need it now.

Sections
Shortcuts