National Weather Service buys 46,000 rounds of ammo

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

National Weather Service buys 46,000 rounds of ammo

My first response would be...why???

I'm not a big conspiracy theory person.  There has got to be a rational reason why...does anyone know what it would be???

46,000 rounds is a decent amount for a bunch of meteorologists.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DamainAllen. Show DamainAllen's posts

Re: National Weather Service buys 46,000 rounds of ammo

46,000 rounds.  Thats like a pittance next to all the ammo the various armed militias have accumulated since 2008.   Those weather nerds better think twice!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from macnh1. Show macnh1's posts

I knew someone with way too much time on his hands would answer the question!!!  Thank you!!!!  I feel better now....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: National Weather Service buys 46,000 rounds of ammo:
    [QUOTE]I knew someone with way too much time on his hands would answer the question!!!  Thank you!!!!  I feel better now....
    Posted by macnh1[/QUOTE]

As opposed to you, the person with "way too much time on his hands" who posts unsupported, anti-govt pablum as fact without the bare minimum of research...?

Don't you ever get tired of others doing your thinking for you...??

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]46,000 rounds.  Thats like a pittance next to all the ammo the various armed militias have accumulated since 2008.   Those weather nerds better think twice!
    Posted by DamainAllen[/QUOTE]

Or, the half a billion rounds Homeland security ordered.  What on earth does homeland security need hollow point rounds for?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from massmoderateJoe. Show massmoderateJoe's posts

[QUOTE]The National Weather Service says it is not intending to arm its forecasters with high-powered weapons and ammunition — no matter how hot, cold, wet or windy it may get. A purchase order issued Thursday seeking to buy 46,000 rounds of ammunition for use in National Weather Service offices in four states, including hollow-point bullets designed to cause extensive damage on impact and “frangible” ammunition used for close quarter shooting when ricochets are unacceptable, actually was a “clerical error.” The ammunition and 500 paper targets, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration ( NOAA ), are intended for the Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement . “Due to a clerical error in the federal business vendor process, a solicitation for ammunition and targets for the NOAA Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement mistakenly identified NOAA's National Weather Service as the requesting office ,” said Scott Smullen , deputy director of NOAA Communications & External Affairs. “The error is being fixed and will soon appear correctly in the electronic federal bidding system. “The ammunition is standard issue for many law enforcement agencies and it will be used by 63 NOAA enforcement personnel in their firearms qualifications and training,” Mr. Smullen said. The Fisheries Office of Law Enforcement protects marine resources and their natural habitat, ensures that many people can enjoy the resources, protects fish stocks from depletion and marine mammals from extinction, and oversees the livelihoods of commercial and recreational fishers, and the health of seafood consumers. The agency’s jurisdiction spans more than 3 million square miles of open ocean, 85,000 miles of U.S. coastline, and 13 National Marine Sanctuaries and Marine National Monuments. Its agents and enforcement officers work out of six divisional offices and 53 field offices throughout the U.S. and its territories, with its headquarters in Silver Spring. The pending buy was outlined in a purchase order dated Aug. 9, naming the solicitor as the National Weather Service . It called for 16,000 rounds of ammunition of factory-loaded .40-caliber, 180-grain jacketed hollow point ammunition for its offices in Ellsworth, Maine, and New Bedford, Mass, and 24,000 rounds of ammunition of factory-loaded .40-caliber, 180-grain jacketed hollow point ammunition for its office in St. Petersburg, Fla. The order also seeks 6,000 rounds of frangible, 125-grain CFRHT .40-caliber ammunition for its office in Wall, N.J., and 500 paper gun-range targets. According to the purchase order, the NOAA National Weather Service intends to conduct an online competitive reverse auction by a third-party auction provider, identified in the order as FedBid Inc., which has developed an online, anonymous browser based application to conduct the auction. In May, NOAA withdrew a $5,000 purchase solicitation for a magician to show up at “The Magic of Change,” a two-day training conference for agency personnel. Organizers had originally wanted someone who could transform “magic and [principles] of the psychology of magic, magic tools, techniques, and experiences into a method of teaching leadership,” according to a lengthy contractor solicitation. It took only four minor mentions in the press before the ad was yanked.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

and I thought they were arming to combat global climate change..........

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: National Weather Service buys 46,000 rounds of ammo : Or, the half a billion rounds Homeland security ordered.  What on earth does homeland security need hollow point rounds for?
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOT

Maybe there was a sale on hollow point rounds, buy 500 million get 500 million half price.  Think about it though, with all the unrest in the eurozone DHS is preparing for something similiar.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to National Weather Service buys 46,000 rounds of ammo : This explains it http://www.washing tontimes.com/news/2012/aug/14/national-weather-service-ammo-request-error/
    Posted by WhichOnesPink2[/QUOTE]

Thanks forthe explanation. 

So, what it comes down to is a clerical error.  By the same people that will be responsible for ordering my chemo treatments in the future.  I guess I have been warned if I wake up in bed riddled with hollow point rounds.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: National Weather Service buys 46,000 rounds of ammo : or a fraction of what our new found muslim brothers are packing world wide.
    Posted by NO MO O[/QUOTE]

Oh, come on.  Everyone knows they are a religion of peace.  those were clerical errors (double entendre) as well.  They didn't want to order BULLETS, they were trying to order BALLOTS.