New Black Panthers... New Spin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tiresias. Show tiresias's posts

Re: New Black Panthers... New Spin

9-0 in Bush v. Palm Beach County.

December 9th the SCOTUS stayed the recount by a decision of 5-4 in a judicially active conservative SCOTUS.  Four justices (Justices Stevens, Ginsburg, Souter and Breyer) dissented as to stopping the recount.

"in their initial ruling that the Florida Supreme Court could not judge Florida election disputes with reference to the state constitution, only by reference to state statutes; in their order stopping the statewide manual recount because it might irreparably damage Bush, without regard for Gore; and in their final ruling that the conduct of that recount violated the Equal Protection Clause, and that further recounting was impossible because it had to be complete under Florida law by December 12, the day Bush v. Gore was handed down--each time the conservatives voted in favor of Bush."

"Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress..."  Art. 2 US Constitution.  Florida Supreme Court has jurisdiction over Florida state legislature.  There really was no precedent for the SCOTUS to get involved in state election law disputes.

Palm Beach per curiam decision:

"It is fundamental that state courts be left free and unfettered by us in interpreting their state constitutions. But it is equally important that ambiguous or obscure adjudications by state courts do not stand as barriers to a determination by this Court of the validity under the federal constitution of state action. Intelligent exercise of our appellate powers compels us to ask for the elimination of the obscurities and ambiguities from the opinions in such cases." Id., at 557.

Specifically, we are unclear as to the extent to which the Florida Supreme Court saw the Florida Constitution as circumscribing the legislature's authority under Art. II, §1, cl. 2. We are also unclear as to the consideration the Florida Supreme Court accorded to 3 U. S. C. §5. The judgment of the Supreme Court of Florida is therefore vacated, and the case is remanded for further proceedings not inconsistent with this opinion."

"On November 14, the statutory deadline, the Florida Circuit Court ruled that the seven-day deadline was mandatory, but that the counties could amend their returns at a later date. The court also ruled that the Secretary, after "considering all attendant facts and circumstances," had discretion to include any late amended returns in the statewide certification.

[Bush v. Gore was based on violating Bush's equal protection rights.  The decision came down according to Judge Scalia "the counting of votes that are of questionable legality does in my view threaten irreparable harm to petitioner Bush, and to the country, by casting a cloud upon what he claims to be the legitimacy of his election."

It definitely wasn't a liberal SCOTUS.  I thought FLOTUS was the first lady of the US.  Article 5 of the Florida constitution gives the Florida Supreme Court jurisdiction in resolving election disputes.  The whole thing isn't worth going into for me.  We were screwed when we got Bush more because of Nader than anything else.  I never got into the Bush stole Florida thing and I'd rather not in general.  It suffices that he never should have been re-elected and that bothers me more than anything.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tiresias. Show tiresias's posts

Back to the subject, here's a great piece from Dave Weigel taking down Fox and Megyn Kelly on the NBPP.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/07/megyn-kellys-minstrel-show.html Just in case that didn't work.

"Kelly's obsession with the current NBPP controversy is something else, though. No one disputes that two members of the Panthers lurked outside of a heavily black, Democratic polling place in Philadelphia on election day 2008, and no one thinks this was a smart or legal thing for them to do. Police were called to the scene to disperse them, and King Samir Shabazz, who was filmed holding (though not using) a nightstick, lost the right to be a poll-watcher for the next election cycle. It was the only recorded incident like this in the nation; nearly two years later, no voter has come forward and said he or she was prevented from voting by the Panthers. And in his publicity tour to attack the DOJ over the Panther case -- a second-rate case against a fifth-rate hate group -- J. Christian Adams has been unable to name any case in which the DOJ was presented with a crime committed by black people and chose not to prosecute it."

And finishes with:

"They've been driven to fear and distrust of their DOJ by round-the-clock videos of one racist idiot brandishing a nightstick for a couple hours in 2008."

That video of Shabazz yelling about crackers is hilarious.  He is definitely meant to be taken seriously.  And if a voter had compained about intimidation, then there might have been a case.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

The NAACP has ignored this during their convention, but had time to pass a resolution that the TEA party needs to purge the racists form their ranks, using  as evidence to signs reported, but apparently not photographed.  I must have seen a thousand signs photographed at TEA party rallies, but somehow, racist signs were missed.  But, don't let that stop you from decrying the racism in the TEA party movement.  Great way to paint the TEA party as racist, while ignoring the log in your own eye

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayflower48. Show mayflower48's posts

In Response to Re: New Black Panthers... New Spin:
    Here is the Republican vice-chair of the investigating USCCR: "F orget about the New Black Panther Party case; it is very small potatoes. Perhaps the Panthers should have been prosecuted under section 11 (b) of the Voting Rights Act for their actions of November 2008, but the legal standards that must be met to prove voter intimidation — the charge — are very high. In the 45 years since the act was passed, there have been a total of three successful prosecutions. The incident involved only two Panthers at a single majority-black precinct in Philadelphia. So far — after months of hearings, testimony and investigation — no one has produced actual evidence that any voters were too scared to cast their ballots. Too much overheated rhetoric filled with insinuations and unsubstantiated charges has been devoted to this case." And in an exactly similar case in 2006 where Minutemen were harrassing Hispanic voters, one of whom was carrying a gun, the Bush DOJ declined any kind of action.  A Minuteman was carrying a gun and intimidating Hispanics, yet the Bush DOJ declined to pursue charges. Total madeup controversy to fit an imaginative narrative that Obama and his admin. discrimnates against white people.  It is laughable to talk about white people being discriminated against in the context of the history of our country.  And where were the voters who complained about being intimidated in the almost  entirely black Philly neighborhood?  Oh, that's right, it was a McCain poll watcher.  So again, tell me where I've lied.  Mr. "Obama received a million dollars from BP." "And in regards to Obama and the money he has received from BP, OSCAR UNDERCUT THE TRUE NUMBER.  Just during the campaign alone, Obama received $898,000 from BP and their employees." - whatnow3.
    Posted by tiresias

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayflower48. Show mayflower48's posts

In Response to Re: New Black Panthers... New Spin:
    In Response to Re: New Black Panthers... New Spin :
    Posted by mayflower48

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mayflower48. Show mayflower48's posts

RE: Obama campaign money from BP. In 2004 he received $6,000. In 2008 he received $71,000 from BP. This money was from individual BP employees.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tiresias. Show tiresias's posts

Rehnquist, Scalia, Kennedy, Thomas - conservative.

Ginsburg, Souter, Breyer, Stevens - liberal.

O'Connor - swing vote who more often than not voted with conservatives.

Florida Supreme Court rules on election law disputes.  They don't write the laws, they resolve disputes over them.  As we well know, laws can be interpeted many different ways.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from windjamer. Show windjamer's posts

From a Political Blagosphere: Something to ponder about.

Read some of the comments below:   "READ TO THE END"

We all live in a country that is very diverse and everyone has there own opinion. I will not count out that racism does not exsist, however I feel that for the most part there is much more prejudice in this country then there is racism. We've all made some type of negative comment of a person of another ethnic background at some point of our life, but it doesn't make that person a racist. Racism is a powerful word and in my opinion the word is used too loosely to get ahead or an excuse of an individual not meeting their expected goals. We do not have to like everyone, but we all have to coexist and live with one another or move to another country that isn't as diverse as this country.

Why should there be any concern over offending anyone just because you published a good point which happens to be very true? . . . .if this is something that offends , then they need to just push that little ol’ key on the keyboard called “DELETE” and get on with their lives . . .if they’re that sensitive, then they need to crawl back into whatever hole they came from and cry to someone there who is interested in hearing it . . .I’m sure as hell not interested . . . .LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

TO ALL,

I hope that this does not offend anyone to the point of major disapointment.

But I felt we, as thinking primates can understand what is being said.

Oh by the way, if it does offend anyone  WAKE UP AND SMELL THE AIR!!!!!

I have been wondering about why Whites are racists, and no other race is......

Michael Richards makes his point...and whether we like it or not, he is telliing the truth.

Michael Richards better known as Kramer from TVs Seinfeld does make a good point.

This was his defense speech in court after making racial comments in his comedy act. 

He makes some very interesting points...

Someone finally said it.  How many are actually paying attention to this? 

There are African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Arab Americans, etc.

And then there are just Americans..  You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction.

You call me 'White boy,' 'Cracker,' *onkey,' 'Whitey,' 'Caveman'... And that's OK...

But when I call you, **gga, Kiiikke, Towel head, Sand-nigger, Camel Jockey, Beaner, Goook, or Chink .. You call me a racist.

You say that whites commit a lot of violence against you....

So why are the ghettos the most dangerous places to live?

You have the United Negro College Fund. You have Martin Luther King Day.

You have Black History Month. 

You have Cesar Chavez Day. 

You have Yom Hashoah. 

You have Ma'uled Al-Nabi.

You have the NAACP. 

You have BET....

If we had WET (White Entertainment Television), we'd be racists. 

If we had a White Pride Day, you would call us racists.

If we had White History Month, we'd be racists.

If we had any organization for only whites to 'advance' OUR lives, we'd be racists.

We have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, a Black Chamber of Commerce, and then we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce.

Wonder who pays for that??

A white woman could not be in the Miss Black American pageant, but any color can be in the Miss America pageant.

If we had a college fund that only gave white students scholarships... You know we'd be racists.

There are over 60 openly proclaimed Black Colleges in the US .. 

Yet if there were 'White colleges', that would be a racist college.

In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching for your race and rights. 

If we marched for our race and rights, you would call us racists.

You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and you're not afraid to announce it.

But when we announce our white pride, you call us racists.

You rob us, car jack us, and shoot at us.

But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist.

I am proud...... But you call me a racist.

Why is it that only whites can be racists??

There is nothing improper about this e-mail..

Let's see which of you are proud enough to send it on. 

I sadly don't think many will. 

That's why we have LOST most of OUR RIGHTS in this country. 

We won't stand up for ourselves!

BE PROUD TO BE WHITE!

It's not a crime YET.... But getting very close!

It is estimated that ONLY 5% of those reaching this point in this e-mail, will pass it on.

I DID!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tiresias. Show tiresias's posts

"You rob us, car jack us, and shoot at us.

But, when a white police officer shoots a black gang member or beats up a black drug dealer running from the law and posing a threat to society, you call him a racist."

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/proudwhite.asp

Nice going, jacka55.  The only thing to ponder about is what kind of a piece of 5hit would reprint that racist rant.  Way to support white power websites.

"Though this racist rant has been widely disseminated online and seems especially popular on Neo-Nazi and "white power" websites, it dates from well before Michael Richards' infamous onstage tirade against African-American audience members at the L.A. Laugh Factory on November 17, 2006. He did not write it, nor could it have constituted his "defense speech in court," given that there were no charges filed and no court trial ever took place.

It is also at odds with Richards' stated apology after the videotaped incident, in which he said he was "deeply, deeply sorry" for shouting racial epithets at two black men who had heckled him during his performance at the comedy club.

The true author of the text is unknown."