News from the "Imagine if this were George Bush" department

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

News from the "Imagine if this were George Bush" department

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22983660

US President Barack Obama repeatedly addressed Chancellor George Osborne as Jeffrey during the recent G8 summit.

Mr Obama is a fan of soul singer and musician Jeffrey Osborne, who enjoyed success in the 1980s with hits such as On The Wings of Love and Love Power.

The singer said he was "delighted" his name had cropped up and would be happy to perform a duet with his namesake.

The chancellor joked that the offer was an "unexpected breakthrough".

The chancellor tweeted that Jeffrey Osborne was a "legend" but added: "Jeff, you wouldn't suggest a duet if you'd heard me sing."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Re: News from the

Full disclosure, I'm also a fan of fellow RI native Jeffery Osbourne and i'm glad to see he's getting some exposure.

--

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Bush never used real names - he would have just had a clever nickname for him - "Black Sabbath" maybe.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

How about G-Ozzy?

--

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Barack Obama bombs in Berlin: a weak, underwhelming address from a floundering president

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/nilegardiner/100222637/barack-obama-bombs-in-berlin-a-weak-underwhelming-address-from-a-floundering-president/

In stark contrast to that of his presidential predecessors, Barack Obama’s message on Wednesday was pure mush, another clichéd “citizens of the world” polemic with little substance. This was a speech big on platitudes and hopeless idealism, while containing much that was counter-productive for the world’s superpower. Ultimately it was little more than a laundry list of Obama’s favourite liberal pet causes, including cutting nuclear weapons, warning about climate change, putting an end to all wars, shutting Guantanamo, ending global poverty, and backing the European Project. It was a combination of staggering naiveté, the appeasement of America’s enemies and strategic adversaries, and the championing of more big government solutions.

There was little in this speech that advances US interests, or makes the world a safer place. Completely missing from Obama’s address was a call for the West to stand up to the rising threat of Islamist militancy, the defence of Christians facing huge levels of persecution and intimidation in the Middle East, strong condemnation of Iran and North Korea’s nuclear ambitions, and any criticism of growing authoritarianism in Russia. The president paid lip service to the NATO alliance, which has proved critical in preserving Europe’s security for over 60 years, but made no call for the alliance to be strengthened in the wake of waning support and investment in Europe.

--

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

I'm actually a bit surprised.  It is like his followers are saying they were a bit hasty giving him a Nobel prize two weeks into his first term.

I'll never understand progressives.  They are great on these highly emotional "sea level stop rising" types of moments, but they fall completely flat when it comes to getting the job done.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

"This is the most transparent administration in history"

- Barack H. Obama

Better?

--

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

"Imagine if this were George Bush"

Ok. Flubbed speech, par for the course.

"Manny Ortez" - John F. Kerry

The sports flubs are the worst.  But on the other hand, I don't think I could bring myself to vote for a Yankee fan, so I understand the pandering.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

"Imagine if this were George Bush"

Ok. Flubbed speech, par for the course.

"Manny Ortez" - John F. Kerry

The sports flubs are the worst.  But on the other hand, I don't think I could bring myself to vote for a Yankee fan, so I understand the pandering.

My personal favorite, and one that really sticks in the craw of Globe reporters: marsha coakley.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Jeepers, he's just making friends everywhere, init he?

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/06/19/obama-offends-catholics-in-the-uk-says-religious-schools-are-divisive-78053

The Catholic media is up in arms over comments President Obama made during a speech while in Northern Ireland for the G8 summit. Obama made what is described as “an alarming call for an end to Catholic education,” in spite of the fact that it is considered “a critical component of the Church.”

Fr John Zuhlsdorf

Fr. John Zuhlsdorf
    Photo credit: Facebook

In front of an audience of about 2,000 young people, including many Catholics, Obama claimed that Catholic education divides people and blocks peace, according to the Scottish Catholic Observer.

“If towns remain divided—if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs, if we can’t see ourselves in one another and fear or resentment are allowed to harden—that too encourages division and discourages cooperation,” Obama said.

--

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

"I am not a crook"

- Richard M. Nixon

That was a lie.  Different.

I couldn't resist.

And, like most, politicians, it turns out he was less than truthful.

14. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts