Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World

In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World : Newt's not the issue, guns aren't the issue.  The apparent unwillingness of the left to recognize our right to defend ourselves is the issue.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

You are talking about a different subject entirely.  The right to self defense and the modes of protecting that right are quite different things.  Not a surprise you don't see a middle ground on the subject.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Firewind. Show Firewind's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World : Fear and Paranoia are my best, unscientific guesses. But I think it's a stretch to compare the right-wing terrorist Breivik with Zimmerman.  The former is in his own circle of he!!ishness; the latter just seemed to flat-out panic.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

OK.  But both, in their own minds, believe that they are standing and defending a way of life, which seems to be but a short step from defending oneself, in the minds of some of the notorious perps - from OBL, to Timothy McVeigh, to the guy who shot the Jewish kids in France, to the guy in Norway, to Mr. Zimmerman and at least one of his apologists on this board.  For "way of life" one could go back to the 19th century South, but actually one doesn't have to.  This is intertwined with those and Mr. Gingrich's politics today.  Squeezed a little without his handlers present, Mr. Gingrich would say as much, if he didn't already to the NRA.

Guns to defend oneself, guns to defend a way of life.  There might be a difference to you and me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World : Let me try to break it down for you: IF guns are God's gift to mankind, THEN so too are all other weapons. ------------------------------------------ And I for you. Guns are NOT God's gift.  Thats why we wrote the SECOND amendment. The "Creator's" gifts are gimmes, no need to write them.  The Bill of Rights does not tell us what WE THE PEOPLE,  can do, it spells out what the government canNOT do.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

and...why can't the government infringe our right to bear arms?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I've never understood how it can be that guns and religion have become so closely tied..that the same people who believe in unregulated gun ownership and possession are generally the same people who shout their "christian values" to the rafters and demand everyone understand that the christian way is the only way.

I was born and raised Catholic..for the last 5 years have attended a local Episcopal church because I love the community and the Pastor is someone I've known for 20 years. The God I believe in and the religion I practice would not condone or sanction individuals carrying weapons. Somehow..I think if Jesus were alive today..he would be encouraging peace..and for people to give up weapons and violence.

Not sure what brand of christianity Newt is practicing when he states that God gave people the right to bear arms. As far as I know..the only thing God ever gave us was free will.
    Maybe when Newt becomes president and founds his moon colony..he can create is own religion. Meanwhile..would it be too much to ask that he not hijack mine to bolster his rhetoric?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World : You can't possibly be that dumb. Did the concept of "nuance" just leave you or are you now a knuckle dragging black and white thinker? Just because you say it is "God" that gave us rights according to Newt, does that mean you cannot think that maybe a human being has the inherent right to defend itself and that guns are only a means to do so? Do you think that the people in Syria have a right to defend themselves against the tyranny of Assad?? If y ou were there, wouldn't you like to have a couple of bazookas or machine guns to defend yourself? Do you believe that a human being has inherent rights that transcend the power of the state? Or do you believe that only the state can tell a human beings what their rights are?
    Posted by Newtster[/QUOTE]

"Nuance"?  I am surprised that is even in your vocabulary.  Its is certainly not in your mindset.  You are as rigid in your retrograde beliefs as you will find.  It is more than funny that you would seek to lecture me about such a matter. 

Guns are the only means to defend yourself?  Really?  You claim to actually think about these things?  How about strict gun control to protect yourself?  Virtually every other country has it AND has much less of a homicide rate than we do.  Think about that: basic cause and effect and logic  But you wont.  Ideologues can't afford to. 

And F.Y.I., the body politic decides what rights exist and how far they extend and the state is created by it to protect and enforce them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World : Oh, now you are so smart you can tell us all by what means we are allowed to defend ourselves?? Why am I not surprised? Is Reubenhop sick tonight or do you not trust him to defend himself and call me stupid?
    Posted by Newtster[/QUOTE]

Maybe more than one person thinks you are stupid.  Surprised?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]I've never understood how it can be that guns and religion have become so closely tied..that the same people who believe in unregulated gun ownership and possession are generally the same people who shout their "christian values" to the rafters and demand everyone understand that the christian way is the only way. I was born and raised Catholic..for the last 5 years have attended a local Episcopal church because I love the community and the Pastor is someone I've known for 20 years. The God I believe in and the religion I practice would not condone or sanction individuals carrying weapons. Somehow..I think if Jesus were alive today..he would be encouraging peace..and for people to give up weapons and violence. Not sure what brand of christianity Newt is practicing when he states that God gave people the right to bear arms. As far as I know..the only thing God ever gave us was free will. Maybe when Newt becomes president and founds his moon colony..he can create is own religion. Meanwhile..would it be too much to ask that he not hijack mine to bolster his rhetoric?
    Posted by miscricket[/QUOTE]

"I've never understood how it can be that guns and religion have become so closely tied"

I didn't know therey were.

This is what happens if your only source of news is liberal rags like the Globe.  The world is a muich more diverse place than liberals imagine.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World : "I've never understood how it can be that guns and religion have become so closely tied" I didn't know therey were. This is what happens if your only source of news is liberal rags like the Globe.  The world is a muich more diverse place than liberals imagine.

Conservatives are all about diversity.. its one of their "traditional" values.  Not.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World : Conservatives are all about diversity.. its one of their "traditional" values.  Not.
    Posted by Reubenhop[/QUOTE]

Conservative demonstrate diversity on this board every day.

The liberals?  Well, pretty much lock-step adoration and adherence to Obama and Marxism.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World : You might want to read Heller closer. It is an individual right. Part of the "why" is personal self-defense, but the other part of the "why" is that the purpose of having armed citizens available for militias does not make sense unless the right to possess a firearm itself is individual . Individual Right + Militia Purpose + Self-defense Purpose = Heller, 2008
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

So, the right is bestowed to us, the great unwashed, by the ruling elite?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World : So, the right is bestowed to us, the great unwashed, by the ruling elite?

No, the rights themselves are inherent in every person.

Enforcing those rights, however, is a general function of the state's laws and system of justice.

Which is why everyone has human rights, but only some nations have translated those into enforceable civil rights...rights that many conservatives seem he!!-bent on rolling back or eliminating altogether.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World : No, the rights themselves are inherent in every person. Enforcing those rights, however, is a general function of the state's laws and system of justice. Which is why everyone has human rights, but only some nations have translated those into enforceable civil rights...rights that many conservatives seem he!!-bent on rolling back or eliminating altogether.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

well said.  I think the left is a bit squishy on the right to bear arms being an inherent right.  I think they are more comfortable with it emanating from the ruling elite, a gift to the masses.

What civil rights are conservatives pushing to be rolled back?  I am unaware of any such activities.