Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World

In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World : well said.  I think the left is a bit squishy on the right to bear arms being an inherent right.  I think they are more comfortable with it emanating from the ruling elite, a gift to the masses. What civil rights are conservatives pushing to be rolled back?  I am unaware of any such activities.
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

Not exactly.

The right to defend oneself and property is a human right.
    The right to bear arms in order to defend the above is a civil right.

You can shoot someone trying to break into your house.  You can NOT track down and shoot someone who stole your stuff and sold it.

And clearly, you haven't heard about efforts on the right to disenfranchise swaths of eligible minority voters from their civil right to vote as well as deny them the right of access to health care.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World : Not exactly. The right to defend oneself and property is a human right. The right to bear arms in order to defend the above is a civil right. You can shoot someone trying to break into your house.  You can NOT track down and shoot someone who stole your stuff and sold it. And clearly, you haven't heard about efforts on the right to disenfranchise swaths of eligible minority voters from their civil right to vote as well as deny them the right of access to health care.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

So you do think the government, if they so decide, can remove our right to bear arms, whatever those arms may be.

Funny how making sure that the people who vote are actually the people they say they are is somehow "disenfranchising".  I guess you think minority voters are all voting illegally?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World : Who said guns are the only means to defend yourself? They are A means and of course you ignored my question about Syria. Why can I lecture  you about nuance? Because whenever a liberal needs to distort the truth or to twist reality to suit their needs they come out with nuance. Then when it suits them they are rigid like you on this issue. Then you are the first to tell conservatives we are "rigid" and "black and white" thinkers when you do the same shiite yourself. Speaking of black and white thinking - do you think that the only connection to a homicide rate is the number of guns or the gun laws in a country or a state? Rigid Reubenhop again. Nuance escapes you when convenient. Somehow I think there are a few more variables involved. And let's talk about logic. How is a strict gun control law going to protect me?? That is absurd. We have plenty of strict gun contro.l laws - none are enforced unless they are part of some other criminal act like a bank robbery or an assault. And of course when a law is passed, all the people that have guns that are not supposed to then turn them in???
    Posted by Newtster[/QUOTE]

Of course, gun control is not the only factor in a homicide rate. But it is a major factor. Our rate is 5.9 per 100,000 while Canada's is 1.5. We are in many ways similar to our northern neighbor except for the major issue of gun control. And no western European nation (all with gun control) comes close to us either.   Care to suggest an alternate reason for the disparity?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World : So you do think the government, if they so decide, can remove our right to bear arms, whatever those arms may be. Funny how making sure that the people who vote are actually the people they say they are is somehow "disenfranchising".  I guess you think minority voters are all voting illegally?
    Posted by skeeter20[/QUOTE]

Remove the right to bear arms?  Why not?  The Constitution has been amended before.  People used to have a right to own people, a right also enforced by the Supreme Court and yet it is dead and gone, a relic of another age.  Do you miss it?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World : Remove the right to bear arms?  Why not?  The Constitution has been amended before.  People used to have a right to own people, a right also enforced by the Supreme Court and yet it is dead and gone, a relic of another age.  Do you miss it?
    Posted by Reubenhop[/QUOTE]

Sure, it could be done via the ammendment process, anythign could be done.  We could pass an amendment that makes people pain their faces green on St. Patricks day.  doesn't make it right. 

The real issue is that I think conservatives are mis-focused in their reasoning about the use of these arms as a practical matter. 

The right to bear arms is of use protecting yourself against imminent danger, robbery, etc.  The rising up against the government use, not so much use, Shay's rebellion, and such.  Sure, such a right exists, but it is impractical.  The government have better arms, better trained personnel, and most likely more personnel in a given situation.  The militias running around the woods have about as much chance against the government as I do of flying to the moon.

The real power people have to use to control government are votes and passivity.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]Oy VEY! You really shouldn't pose a constitutional scholar if you do not understand that just as Congress passed the 2nd Amd., it could pass another amendment repealing it. Oh, you do get it. So what was the point of asking whether the government "can" remove the right to bear arms?
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Well, isn't it obvious?  It is either:

To give you some content for your latest nonsensical post, or,

To see if the poster understood it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Newt Says the Right to Guns is God's Gift to World : That is incoherent. Whatever, you are a waste of time.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

OK, wally.