North Carolina May Declare Official State Religion Under New Bill

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

North Carolina May Declare Official State Religion Under New Bill

Does the G.O.P. want live in a different century and/or country?  Certain conservatives down South seem to want to...

Republican North Carolina state legislators have proposed allowing an official state religion in a measure that would declare the state exempt from the Constitution and court rulings.

The bill, filed Monday by two GOP lawmakers from Rowan County and backed by nine other Republicans, says each state "is sovereign" and courts cannot block a state "from making laws respecting an establishment of religion." The legislation was filed in response to a lawsuit to stop county commissioners in Rowan County from opening meetings with a Christian prayer, wral.com reported.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/north-carolina-religion-bill_n_3003401.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FortySixAndTwo. Show FortySixAndTwo's posts

Re: North Carolina May Declare Official State Religion Under New Bill

In response to Reubenhop's comment:

Does the G.O.P. want live in a different century and/or country?  Certain conservatives down South seem to want to...

Republican North Carolina state legislators have proposed allowing an official state religion in a measure that would declare the state exempt from the Constitution and court rulings.

The bill, filed Monday by two GOP lawmakers from Rowan County and backed by nine other Republicans, says each state "is sovereign" and courts cannot block a state "from making laws respecting an establishment of religion." The legislation was filed in response to a lawsuit to stop county commissioners in Rowan County from opening meetings with a Christian prayer, wral.com reported.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/03/north-carolina-religion-bill_n_3003401.html

I don't know if the G.O.P. does.........but apparently SOME Republican state legislators do...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

I'm considering retiring to that state but stuff like that really turns me off ..... they might even change their State Motto from "First in Flight" to "First to Frighten the Bejeezus out of you " !

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

In response to Sistersledge's comment:

I'm considering retiring to that state but stuff like that really turns me off ..... they might even change their State Motto from "First in Flight" to "First to Frighten the Bejeezus out of you " !

Yes, please stay away from the South, it is full of trailer parks and rednecks, beneath an intellectual giant like yourself....stay where you are , in the paradise of Massachusetts. Please.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

The headline is totally false, not a surprise from the perilously liberal HuffPost.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

"Republican North Carolina state legislators have proposed allowing an official state religion in a measure that would declare the state exempt from the Constitution and court rulings."

False. But if NC did propose an "official state religion", it would be "NASCAR".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

False. But if NC did propose an "official state religion", it would be "NASCAR".

That makes a whole lot more sense.

More "#3" decals than crosses down there, as far as I can tell.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Even though the post is not true,  I am with you conceptually.  Don't need the gov't messing around in this in terms of selecting a religion.  What might scare you about moving to NC, however, is that christians are not treated with the contempt and hatred that one sees up here in the frozen north.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

In response to skeeter20's comment:

Even though the post is not true,  I am with you conceptually.  Don't need the gov't messing around in this in terms of selecting a religion.  What might scare you about moving to NC, however, is that christians are not treated with the contempt and hatred that one sees up here in the frozen north.

Really Skeeter? What Christians do you know who are treated with contempt (because they are Christians)? Isn't MA the most Catholic state in the country? I don't know a single Christian who feels that way? Do you? Perhaps you should attend Mass once in a while. You will see then that your comment simply isn't true..but then again, I suspect that you already know that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

I spent 8 years in the "Bible Belt ........ I have nothing against anybody ........ I think NC is a beautiful state .

btw who is treating Christians with contempt ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

I spent 8 years in the "Bible Belt ........ I have nothing against anybody ........ I think NC is a beautiful state .

Some Christians feel they are treated with contempt when their "truth" is not embraced by others.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sistersledge. Show Sistersledge's posts

In response to ComingLiberalCrackup's comment:

Yes, please stay away from the South, it is full of trailer parks and rednecks, beneath an intellectual giant like yourself....stay where you are , in the paradise of Massachusetts. Please.

Br'er Crankup .... what trailer park do you live in .... I'll buy it and make it a piggery ..... you will appreciate that because it would be an up grade for you !

Semper Fi !

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

The proposed North Carolina legislation by no means wants to declare an official state religion. It is nonetheless way off base and just dumb.

It arose out of the ACLU's usual contempt for the Christian religion.

The ACLU in its endless jihad against Christianity wants to forbid local NC County officials from opening their meetings as they have always voluntarily done with a traditional prayer.

The ACLU in effect wants to make atheism the official state religion.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

Really Skeeter? What Christians do you know who are treated with contempt (because they are Christians)? Isn't MA the most Catholic state in the country? I don't know a single Christian who feels that way? Do you? Perhaps you should attend Mass once in a while. You will see then that your comment simply isn't true..but then again, I suspect that you already know that.

Do you not read these boards?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Do you not read these boards?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

Some Christians feel they are treated with contempt when their "truth" is not embraced by others.  

huh.  So, your "truth" needs to pass the progressive muster in order not to be treated with contempt.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

For the record, I'm pretty sure that these folks don't really want to establish a state religion. The point that they were trying to make was that the state was not subject to the rules set forth by the federal constitution and they they could, if they wanted to, establish a state religion at the state level.

Personally I think that's an iffy proposition but it, by no means, means that these people are idiots. They're just trying to make a point.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Maybe someone who has studied it even more closely can correct me, but I believe the 1st Amendment has been fully incorporated: Meaning applies to the states.

I completely agree with you and would exend this to the entire constitution and bill of rights. That's why it's puzzling that there isn't a similar reaction when the second amendment is so easily and so often disregarded by state and municipal governments.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ComingLiberalCrackup. Show ComingLiberalCrackup's posts

....the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment of the Constitution of 3 the United States reads:"…Congress shall make no law respecting an Establishment of Religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Here is a better argument by the NC County members; why is a court forbidding a board member from merely saying a prayer in public, to open a local county meeting, which was their tradition?

Are the courts and the ACLU not "prohibiting the free exercise" of religion ?  Is saying a prayer establishing an official state religion?

Is the Constitution antagonistic to religion? Does it ban religion from the public sphere?  

These are serious questions...the flip liberal response is to censor religion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

After painting itself into a corner with The Slaughterhouse Cases, the Supreme Court came up with "selective incorporation" as a legal theory to justify applying individual rights to the states piecemeal. The idea being that when the 14th Amd. was ratified, the Due Process clause therein was intended by those who ratified it to apply any rights that are part of "fundamental due process" to the states - and, surprise surprise, whenever the Supreme Court wanted to apply a right from the Bill of Rights to the states, it discovered that the right was part of fundamental due process.

I didn't know any of that. It seems counter-intuitive to me that the courts would selectively apply constitutional restrictions on state and local governments while simultaniously mostly ignoring the tenth amendment. What a bloody mess.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

It's up to people who feel their rights have been violated to challenge the violation....

I think you're starting to understand the point the NC legislators were trying to make.

25. This post has been removed.