NY Times falsely links white supremacist groups to Tea Party

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

NY Times falsely links white supremacist groups to Tea Party

It did not take long for a mainstream media organization to exploit the tragic Sikh temple shootings to link White supremacist groups, of which the shooter was allegedly a part, to the Tea Party. 

And of course, the offending organization was the New York Times.

In a story titled, "Music Style Is Called Supremacist Recruiting Tool," the Times describes how "white power" music, referred to as "hatecore," acts like a gateway drug to more extreme white supremacist groups and activities. The Times interviews another journalist and gratuitously prints this journalist's unfounded opinion (which comes across as reported facts) about the Tea Party in another effort to malign the movement and make it out to be something (racist) that it is demonstrably not: 

One reason for the disarray might be the growth of a more mainstream movement, the Tea Party, whose successful forays into electoral politics have siphoned energy and support from violent fringe groups, said Chip Berlet, a Boston-based journalist who writes about right-wing groups.

To the writers at New York Times, it is not conceivable that the "white power" music scene may be diminishing because there are fewer people who share those racist views. Instead, the decline has to be falsely attributed to the rise of the Tea Party...
    Gee, Nazi skinheads , Communist revolutionaries, and anarchists, all expressly supported the violent "Occupy" movement, but the Times never will connect any dots in that regard...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: NY Times falsely links white supremacist groups to Tea Party

Are you suggesting that there aren't racists in the Tea Party? Michael Cook at Talk Business reports on the warm reception a speaker received at a recent Ozark Tea Party rally June 9 in Mountain Home for telling this "icebreaker" joke in her approximation of black dialect: A black kid asks his mom, ‘Mama, what’s a democracy?’ “‘Well, son, that be when white folks work every day so us po’ folks can get all our benefits.’ “‘But mama, don’t the white folk get mad about that?’ “‘They sho do, son. They sho do. And that’s called racism.’” The Baxter Bulletin, which covered the event, captured audio of the episode and reported that the crowd laughed heartily at Tea Party Board member Inge Marler. Afterward, one Tea Partyer, the local group's founder Richard Caster, told a questioning reporter the joke was in bad taste. Marler also told the newspaper she regretted telling the joke (after being called on it), saying she found it on the Internet. (The Devil made her do it?)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I read the article and based on your characterization, I was expecting to see an exposé on the tea party and racists. Tea party is mentioned once, in the paragraph you copied located at the end of the article. The article was mentioning the tea party movement in an attempt to explain the disarray of the white supremist movement. I think this is a positive aspect of the tea party. Many of the tea partners are angry about what's going on. The tea party gives these people a place to go, giving them an alternative to more radical groups. A danger for the tea party is the subject of welfare. It's an easy target for people angry about government spending and waste and it's a topic that can't be avoided when the subject is government waste. The danger is that such a topic can easily turn racist. If it can avoid sliding into racism and stay constructive, then it is effectively moving someone on the radical fringe closer to the mainstream.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

"Are you suggesting that there aren't racists in the Tea Party?" We're suggesting that the tea party is about as much about racism as the Democrat party is about communism. We're suggesting that there are more real racists that self identify as liberal than belong to a tea path organization. We're suggesting that the accusations of racism against the tea party has a lot more to do with trying to marginalize an extremely popular message than it does any real subculture of racism in the organization. That's what we're suggesting.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Oh, and speaking of real racism... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/09/allen-west-campaign-ad-punching_n_1762385.html?utm_hp_ref=elections-2012 Disgusting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UserName99. Show UserName99's posts

The Tea Party is mainly comprised of 2 distinct profiles:

1.  Angry misfits who are often failures in life.  Useful idiots that cry freedom at every turn.  Duped and brainwashed, they vote against their own interest and you didn't hear a peep from this crowd until a black man was elected.  I suspect there are numerous racists in this profile. 

2.  The Tea Party also includes many upper middle class business owners. These people have money, feel entitled to as much of it as they can get their hands on, and *hate* Obama because "he wants to take it all away and give it to shiftless bums who do not want to work".  Although successful, they know nothing about history, government, economics, science, or any of the arts. They get their news from Fox and right-wing talk radio, would never read a book, believe in bizarre religious doctrines, and are concerned with one (and only one) thing: MY money. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I think the original post is more misleading than the article.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tvoter. Show tvoter's posts

In Response to Re: NY Times falsely links white supremacist groups to Tea Party:
    Are you suggesting that there aren't racists in the Tea Party? Michael Cook at Talk Business reports on the warm reception a speaker received at a recent Ozark Tea Party rally June 9 in Mountain Home for telling this "icebreaker" joke in her approximation of black dialect: A black kid asks his mom, ‘Mama, what’s a democracy?’ “‘Well, son, that be when white folks work every day so us po’ folks can get all our benefits.’ “‘But mama, don’t the white folk get mad about that?’ “‘They sho do, son. They sho do. And that’s called racism.’” The Baxter Bulletin, which covered the event, captured audio of the episode and reported that the crowd laughed heartily at Tea Party Board member Inge Marler. Afterward, one Tea Partyer, the local group's founder Richard Caster, told a questioning reporter the joke was in bad taste. Marler also told the newspaper she regretted telling the joke (after being called on it), saying she found it on the Internet. (The Devil made her do it?)
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Are you suggesting there are no racist/bigots in the democratic party??

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to "Re: NY Times falsely links white supremacist groups to Tea Party":
    In Response to Re: NY Times falsely links white supremacist groups to Tea Party : Are you suggesting there are no racist/bigots in the democratic party?? Posted by tvoter
    My mistake. I thought the thread was about the Tea Party. I don't recall any democrats warming up a party meeting with a racist joke and having most of the attendees laughing and clapping. I think the Tea Party is made up of mostly angry people and their anger is being taken advantage by certain influenntial people in the republican party. A party which does not shy away from tapping into people's bigotry. I expect racism to play an increasing role in this election. Are their bigots in the democratic party? Of course. But I think you'd be more likely to encounter racists in the republican party and the tea party even more. Does that mean the tea party is racist is nature? Of course not.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BetheKoolaid. Show BetheKoolaid's posts

"I expect racism to play an increasing role in this election."

Aha, a progressive statement like this means Obama may well lose...and of course, an Obama loss will immediately start the liberal sheep bleating "evil racism" was the cause, not the 42 months of unemployment over 8%...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to Re: NY Times falsely links white supremacist groups to Tea Party:
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

Well, no, I don't think anyone is claiming that.  Racists and anti semites exist even in liberal democrat quarters.  Jim Bryd and Bob Beckel, for example.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

The Tea Party is mainly comprised of 2 distinct profiles: 1.  A ngry misfits who are often failures in life.  Useful idiots that cry freedom at every turn.  Duped and brainwashed, they vote against their own interest and you didn't hear a peep from this crowd until a black man was elected.  I suspect there are numerous racists in this profile.  2.  The Tea Party also includes many upper middle class business owners. These people have money, feel entitled to as much of it as they can get their hands on, and *hate* Obama because "he wants to take it all away and give it to shiftless bums who do not want to work".  Although successful, they know nothing about history, government, economics, science, or any of the arts. They get their news from Fox and right-wing talk radio, would never read a book, believe in bizarre religious doctrines, and are concerned with one (and only one) thing: MY money.  
    Posted by UserName99

Glad to see your narrow mindedness extends to the TEA party as well.  All those teebogger references you have  been throwing around here for the past year didn't go to waste.

But, your love and affection for the occupiers, nice, well mannered people  who just want some one to love them, doesn't go unnoticed either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from skeeter20. Show skeeter20's posts

In Response to NY Times falsely links white supremacist groups to Tea Party : ' You know that whenever bobo copy/pastes an article about an NYT article, it's going to put the word "spin" to shame. I'm not sure where the author got all the words surrounding the cherrypicked quote. The NYT article says nothing of the sort. But go on, get in your daily two minutes hate.
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow

So, I guess you would not have a problem with an article that said something like:  The American Nazi Party movement has had trouble drumming up memebership as of late, as the gearing up of the Obama campaign has attracted them instead.

That you think so little of the TEA party shows your lack of tolerance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

In response to "Re: NY Times falsely links white supremacist groups to Tea Party":
    "I expect racism to play an increasing role in this election." Aha, a progressive statement like this means Obama may well lose...and of course, an Obama loss will immediately start the liberal sheep bleating "evil racism" was the cause, not the 42 months of unemployment over 8%... Posted by BetheKoolaid
    Actually, I was referring to ads by the Super PACs. Obama isn't going to lose. As the door closes on Romney, the GOP aligned PACs will get more desperate and will eventually go for broke, doing what they wanted McCain to do. And wasn't it the Republicans complaining how racism played a role in McCain losing because Obama won the black vote in overwhelming numbers? You wouldn't recall an ad featuring a person named Willie Horton would you?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

" Obama isn't going to lose". This should be in the "Funniest thing I`ve read today" thread. BWAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! (Pssst, it`s already over) 
    Posted by jmel

How can it be "already over" when the polls indicate that Obama is up seven on Romney?  You are living in your own little world apparently.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reubenhop. Show Reubenhop's posts

In Response to Re: NY Times falsely links white supremacist groups to Tea Party : Rasmussen   Romney 47   Obama  43 Gallup         Romney  46   Obama  44 Rasmussen   Obama approval   45% Gallup          Obama approval   43% Gallup and Rasmussen:  Is America on the "wrong track"  Yes= 65% and a WHOPPING 71% Florida, Ohio, North Carolina, Wisconsin,Michigan, New Hampshire, Virginia, and Colorado, ALL either Romney ahead or tied. Are you reading Fox news, Quinnipiac, NBC, polls? Or reliable polls of LIKELY voters?
    Posted by jmel

You discount Fox?  Seriously?  It is a conservative mouthpeice and you dump it because you don't like it's conclusion.  And the "wrong track" issue is as much about our politics in general than anything Obama has done specifically.  I think our Congress is on the wrong track and it is dominated by Republicans.

And fairly obviously there is a split in the polls: the ones you like (Romney up 2/4 points) and the ones I like (Obama up 7) so it is absurd to say (for either side) that "it is over". And yet you do...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"I expect racism to play an increasing role in this election." Aha, a progressive statement like this means Obama may well lose....
    Posted by BetheKoolaid

No, it means nothing of the kind.  But given how wrong and out-of-touch you often are, it's no surprise.

P.S.  How's that McConnell-as-VP prediction working out for ya today...?

One could argue the Ryan pick is the face of desperation....

Sections
Shortcuts